Advice please, Big Decisions re 175/176 visa and not enough points after 1st July

GavCar

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking into things and feel that we are going round and round in circles so thought perhaps some advice/experiences and a discussion may help me and hopefully some others in a similar position in making decisions.

I realise that there are many others on here that have been waiting aggeeesss for their visa's and we have only started the ball rolling a few months ago. I have so much symathy for all you guys and really hope that you all get your visa's asap. :hug: However, I feel the decisions we make now will directly impact on how long we wait in the future. I have every expectation and am happy to accept that whatever happens the whole Oz process is likely to take about 18months however, if it takes much longer I think that's when things get difficult with regards to getting on with your life and making decisions etc. eg we haven't had children yet

We sent off our skills assessment last week and are now trying to decide what to do next. We can apply for state sponsorship or we can just apply for the 175 visa. Now I know that the 175 is supposed to take a fair bit longer, however,we are concerned that as we won't be able to apply for state sponsorship until probably January, if we don't get it back before 1st July 2011 then we will have to resort to applying for the 175 anyway as we do not have enough points after this date (which means we've then lost another 6 months). Also if we go for ss, what happens if the ss places run out - are those cases on the back burner until 2012 or scrapped, could it mean then the 175's overtake the newer applications? The option of the 175 would mean that we could lodge it as soon as the skills assessment comes back (hopefully positive!) and possibly get a 6 month head start on applying for the 176 which could close the gap somewhat. My main concerns with the 175 are as we do not have enouh points after July will they still process it after that as we did have enough points before? Also as the whole process takes longer is there more chance that something could go wrong ie they make more changes?

So in summary, weighing up timescales and the most likely chance of getting a visa - which would be the best option for someone in our position? Both seem to have pro's and con's and neither seem that secure!

Thank you so much for listening and I always really appreciate and value the time taken to give me advice. :notworthy:

Cara xx :wubclub: :chatterbox:

Bumping it up,cant help cara tbh,all changed since i got mine,so wouldnt want to give bad advice

Thanks for bumping it up, it's difficult to get replies if it slips off the radar! I'm just fed up of it going round and round my head lol :wacko:

Hows things with you? So have you got your visa but are waiting for the right time?.....

Cara x :wubclub:

Thanks for bumping it up, it's difficult to get replies if it slips off the radar! I'm just fed up of it going round and round my head lol :wacko:

Hows things with you? So have you got your visa but are waiting for the right time?.....

Cara x :wubclub:

Got the old PR 136 cara,think its the same as 175 ,june 08 we got it,had an illness in family so had to put on hold for a yr,put hse back on month back,,god knows when it will sell,dropped it 7k in a month,be going over with a sticky arrer bar and two bob in me arse pocket the way its going,gotta be gratefull ive got a visa tho the way things are now eh?

Got the old PR 136 cara,think its the same as 175 ,june 08 we got it,had an illness in family so had to put on hold for a yr,put hse back on month back,,god knows when it will sell,dropped it 7k in a month,be going over with a sticky arrer bar and two bob in me arse pocket the way its going,gotta be gratefull ive got a visa tho the way things are now eh?

Yeah of course it's great that you have the visa & I guess you must have validated it and have 4/5 years to move there. But really I think it doesnt matter where you are in the process it's all frustrating, there's always decisions and worries re money etc.

Best of luck mate but I'm sure it will all work out, I believe where there's a will there's a way lol :yes: :wideeyed::hug: Hope your family member is ok now

Hi Cara

ooooo tricky

Where are you wanting to move to in Oz ?

SA from what I've seen seems to be very fast on SS, well compared to the others.

Sorry not much help

:wubclub:

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply

Well we've not been to OZ so not sure where we want to live. Originally it was Brisbane area but we've heard it's really hard to get work that way at the moment. We are tending towards WA but they seem to have long waiting times. Wherever we choose we need to make sure we can make a go of it living there at least initially and we really are hoping to get a lot of sunshine which I'm not sure about SA.... But we're kind of waiting for the SMP's to come out but also will need to make some decisions soon so we know which state to research/get ready for or whether just to get ready to apply for 175 - either way we want to be ready as soon as the skills assessment comes back.

Cara :eek:

Yeah of course it's great that you have the visa & I guess you must have validated it and have 4/5 years to move there. But really I think it doesnt matter where you are in the process it's all frustrating, there's always decisions and worries re money etc.

Best of luck mate but I'm sure it will all work out, I believe where there's a will there's a way lol :yes: :wideeyed::hug: Hope your family member is ok now

Got till july 2013 cara,hopefully it will have sold by then!thx:wink:,and good luck

I'm not sure there is a right answer and I don't want to say what is the best option as you know what DIAC are like for moving the goal posts, but here are my thoughts.

Firstly just want to check that your occupation is on Schedule 3 of the SOL meaning you are eligible for 175 and also that it is on a state sponsorship list so the 176 is an option.

Assuming yes to both of those then I think that the fact you won't have enough points by July answers one question for you, you must have the application in by then ss or no ss. One thing DIAC has not done is retrospectively change the points test so if your app is lodged, I don't think it means that you will have to meet a new test. That is my belief, I don't think I have seen it written down.

Most thinking is that it is better and safer to have a state sponsored application, so if you are on a list I say go for it. However if it takes seven months and certainly that is possible as you need to do skills assessment, and it is still not back towards the end of June, then you will have to proceed with the 175. I know that will be disappointing as you will have waited six months for nothing but console yourself that in the grand scheme of things...

I'm not sure there is a right answer and I don't want to say what is the best option as you know what DIAC are like for moving the goal posts, but here are my thoughts.

Firstly just want to check that your occupation is on Schedule 3 of the SOL meaning you are eligible for 175 and also that it is on a state sponsorship list so the 176 is an option.

Assuming yes to both of those then I think that the fact you won't have enough points by July answers one question for you, you must have the application in by then ss or no ss. One thing DIAC has not done is retrospectively change the points test so if your app is lodged, I don't think it means that you will have to meet a new test. That is my belief, I don't think I have seen it written down.

Most thinking is that it is better and safer to have a state sponsored application, so if you are on a list I say go for it. However if it takes seven months and certainly that is possible as you need to do skills assessment, and it is still not back towards the end of June, then you will have to proceed with the 175. I know that will be disappointing as you will have waited six months for nothing but console yourself that in the grand scheme of things...

Hi, thank you for your reply,

Yes my husbands occupation - solid plasterer is on the SOL schedule 3 and we have 120 points which is enough. He is also already on the ACT SMP list as well so we do definitely have both options - as long as he passes the skills assessment, fingers crossed.

We are lucky to have both options definitely but we're just currently weighing up which is the best route to go. It is going round and round our heads and we are not sure what best to do and just thought we might get some advice or experience that might have helped to make up our mind either way! A decision will have to be made in the next few weeks anyway. :wacko:

Cara

• 1 year later...
Guest SandyBeattie

Hi Cara, I’m starting my skills assessment and my head isso mashed, could I ask kindly for some help.

My skill is Supply & Distribution Manager 133611 with the AIM Australia Instituteof Management, could you possibly give me some advice or an example if you can.I’m in the Army and finding it hard to map across my skills to Civilian speak.

Many thanks for your time. Hope to hear back from you as this would be a bighelp.

Kind Regards,

Sandy.

Hi,

Im really sorry but I cant help as although I did our visa's my husband was a plasterer so I have no experience in your field. Also we did our visa's a year ago and the rules have changed so Im not sure exactly how it works now tbh. I wold recommend you get some advice from the migration agent Go Matilda, they help us with part of the via process and they know their stuff. They are reasonably priced too.

I hope you work it al out OK, this is a great forum, you should re-post a new thread ans see if someone can help.

Good Luck

Cara

Guest SandyBeattie

Cara many thanks at least with the agent you have mentioned happy days, ye this is a cracking site and all the guys on here are so helpfuly.

Cara many thanks.

Regards,

Sandy.

Archived