Working Holdiday Visa's can people still find casual work?

Que Sera Sera

My friends daughter and her boyfriend want to come out on a working holiday visa for 6 months to a year, can anyone tell me if there is still enough casual work for them to be able to support themselves. I see that the National Minimum Wage is $15 which is quite high compared with the UK anyway, but does the work still exhist?

Any advice please?

Oh and I can spell holiday honest lol

My friends daughter and her boyfriend want to come out on a working holiday visa for 6 months to a year, can anyone tell me if there is still enough casual work for them to be able to support themselves. I see that the National Minimum Wage is $15 which is quite high compared with the UK anyway, but does the work still exhist?

Any advice please?

Oh and I can spell holiday honest lol

Hi!

I really think it boils down to what they are prepared to do. My oh and I came over 2 years ago, did 2 WHVs and luckily toward the end of the last one my partner secured sponsorship on a 457.

I have seen so many backpackers arrive, assuming they will walk into their ideal casual job, whether it be their trade from back home or a comfty little office role......it doesn't happen for them, they run out of cash and have to go home.

We arrived in late 2008 when talk of recession was rife and cut backs were huge, the first roles to go were temp roles......great:arghh:

If they are open minded people and are willing to take a few steps outside their comfort zone then they should be fine, if not, they should save as much $$$ before they leave.

My background is admin/customer service and my oh is a sparky. A few of the jobs we did include flyer distribution, promotional work, product line work, picking and packing, door to door sales, installing insulation, transcribing, telemarketing, labouring, fruit picking (3months specified work) and that's just a few! Pretty much all of them were at the national award rate and hours were long. BUT for us it was all about the experience and doing whatever it took to stay.

Tell them to research as much as possible and also to look into alternatives to work such as 'wwoof' which will save cash and give great experiences.

Hope this helps!

hey ,we are currently picking up work on our way around cafe work is rife learn how to barista coffee before you come if poss! lots of work in melbourne , perth , we couldnt get any in adelaide and brissie is quieter compared to others we have found. im a hairdresser so i get work easy but even i couldnt find a job to apply for in adelaide! oviously that was when we were there. In perth i was house cleaning on my own just advertised on gumtree , was rushed off my feet within a month! sometimes you have to bend the truth to get a job .... yes we are staying for 12 months not 12 weeks ......

Archived