New Points Test and the Impact for Those with Trades Skills Occupations

Alan Collett

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Go Matilda comment on the situation for those with trade skills.

I believe that many who are at the start of the application process really ought to commit to the skills assessment process straightaway - before the SMPs are published - if they are to have half a chance at being in a position to apply for a skilled visa before the anticipated new points test comes into effect.

If they don't commit in the very near future - and yes, spend some money - I think it quite possible they will run out of time. Remember how long WA and QLD were taking to process Sponsorship applications 9 months ago? I feel sure there are going to be large numbers applying to these States as and when their SMPs are published.

Best regards.

its like a new game plan to convert old paper stationary (applications) in to dollars as much as could be.then they have solid excuses to capped and ceased, legislative instrument like s39 which they have used to all old 2k7 applicants earlier without pre -intentions and also not to process them coz of bulk lodgements till new point system would come into.its noway you can stop them to play with your lives( legally).australian migration system is now just nothing more than a political mess

This up's the pressure a bit, we have just applied to Victoria so I hope we get sponsored ASAP. Does anyone have any idea how many plumbers they will sponsor, how many places are left, and how many plumbers have applied. I thought Australia wanted trades, so it is a bit odd that they are going to stop almost all trades from getting enough points. We won't have nearly enough points as OH didn't do a formal apprenticeship, though we do now run a successful plumbing business employing 5 plumbers. Another Crazy decision from DIAC?

Hi Alan,

I have just realised this dilemma!

We are waiting on the WA SMP list to see if cabinetmaker is on it (as its only schedule 4 on sol) before we go to the expense of a AQF3 (3500 euros).

But now if we wait much longer we wont be able to lodge before the new points system and thus wont qualify under new sytem. Hubby 40. Doesnt WA take 6 months for State sponsorship!!!!

Its so frustrating as old work colleague has big contract coming up next year and offered him work.

Hmmmm.

Kind Regards

cazmayo

Hi Alan,

We are waiting on the WA SMP list to see if cabinetmaker is on it (as its only schedule 4 on sol) before we go to the expense of a AQF3 (3500 euros).

But now if we wait much longer we wont be able to lodge before the new points system and thus wont qualify under new sytem. Hubby 40. Doesnt WA take 6 months for State sponsorship!!!!

Its so frustrating as old work colleague has big contract coming up next year and offered him work.

Hmmmm.

Kind Regards

cazmayo

Hi,

I can totally see your dilema, I think I have seen some posts on here where some people have contacted the state & they have told them whether their skill is on the SMP or not, they must have a pretty good idea - it might be worth a try. They might be able to give you a timescale for the SMP at least.

We are currently working through an AQF III qualification in plastering & it is taking a lot longer than we thought, 3 months but we have almost completed it & while we've been waiting we've been getting the paperwork ready for the skills assessement through the TRA.

i think with the work situation, even if you get SS with WA you still won't need to go to Oz til 2012 by the time you get the visa & you usually have nearly a year so I'm sure it would be OK for your hubby to accept work for next year. Also there is the option of validating the visa with a holiday to buy yourself some more time.

I'm sure it will all work out OK in the end, let us know how you get on.

Cara :wubclub:

Yes, that's right Cara - there is no requirement to make the permanent move immediately after visa grant.

You can validate before the required initial entry date, and then make the permanent move a year or three later - ideally when the exchange rate is more in your favour!

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler
its like a new game plan to convert old paper stationary (applications) in to dollars as much as could be.then they have solid excuses to capped and ceased, legislative instrument like s39 which they have used to all old 2k7 applicants earlier without pre -intentions and also not to process them coz of bulk lodgements till new point system would come into.its noway you can stop them to play with your lives( legally).australian migration system is now just nothing more than a political mess

Hi Electrical Guy

I couldn't agree with you more. I completely agree that Evans' s-called "reforms" of the skilled migration program look more like mindless vandalism of it more than anything else. He has vandalised the International Student sector of migration to Oz as well - that particular stupidity will mean a loss of billions of AUD to the Aussie economy.

You are a General Electrician and you have the paper qualifications and the work-experience necessary to prove it, I gather. Neverthless your visa application has been arbitrarily terminated by Evans, in another example of his vandalism.

How do you stand for another go at the whole process? I know that you are only about 33 or 34. I know that you are from India and so English might not be your first language (even though your English is actually perfectly adequate.) How do you fare under the new points test? Would it be best if you simply apply for a sc 176 visa as soon as you can get State sponsorship from somewhere, so that you need not get involved with the new Points test?

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Alan,

Hmmmm.

Kind Regards

cazmayo

Hi cazmayo

You say that Hubby's old work colleague has offered him work. Whereabouts? In Australia or elsewhere?

Alan Collett seems to be recommending that you should gamble with your money and secure the AQF III, then apply for a TRA skills assessment, then apply to one of the States for SS in the hope of beating the new Points test. Do you want to move to Oz badly enough to make you want to risk gambling with your hard earned money?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill.

I would prefer to consider it a risk management exercise - on the balance of probabilities what is the preferred strategy?

If intending trade skills migrants delay matters too long it is highly likely they won't have any choice in the matter: they won't be eligible for a general skilled visa because the pre visa application process will take too long.

Best regards.

Hi Gill,

My hubby was talking on skype to an old work colleague in Perth (we worked in Perth 10 yrs ago). He is also a cabinetmaker, he has secured a contract to refurb a hotel, so he will be hiring a few tradies for the job and a few smaller jobs. He said he would definitely have work, just to get over there. Small problem of a visa.! I dont think he would be in a position to be promising 3 yrs of work to enable a 457!! but wont discount it, as its a starting point.

But I do not want to go out on a 457 only to find that we would never qualify for a perm visa. We are a family with 3 small children, and this is a perm move for us.

So to go ahead with a 176, we have 7 months to get visa application in before new points!

6 months to get SS WA

2 months TRA

2 months AQF (3500 euros here in Ireland)

We wouldnt have enough points under new system!

Yes it feels like a gamble with very poor odds.

We really want to move to Perth, have lived there before, have work to go to, but a visa is the stumbling block.

kind regards

cazmayo

even though your English is actually perfectly adequate.

hi gill thanks for compliment:hug:.i know its average to compete overall but i realize its the best when compare to other guys of my trade in our country.as an electrician in our country its not much earning as respect to their skills.in metro's it could be good but outsider have to pay for rent and other facilities of home so net balance will same .i m living in a small moderate city ,well famous for our skills (with brother) and way we deal to our clients.here our work is sufficient to live a middle class standard but its the dream of grabbing the emerging opportunities ( i had seen in oz ) shatters me to go for migration.i have struggled for every wish(deserved for ) that seems normal to others.deathly break up by lost of my mother in 2k4.it was the hardest time i have faced .totally give up the desire to live.word happiness was strange to me. then desire means grief.i am lucky to have true friends and supporting .in 2k4one of my best friend moved to Australia on student visa and then settled permanently .now he has citizenship.he encouraged me to same coz he saw huge scope for my skill there.all was fine till 2k9.i was asked for med/pcc and my friend tell me now my p r is sure and be finalized soon.wait was too long and at last my dream was crushed by evans brutally.his action nothing proves there are deficiencies in any of my ability and skills ,they were asked earlier.they have no solid basic reason to validate this .

How do you stand for another go at the whole process? How do you fare under the new points test? Would it be best if you simply apply for a sc 176 visa as soon as you can get State sponsorship from somewhere, so that you need not get involved with the new Points test?

now it would be gamble to go for another investment in a unfair process whose result will be definite a another sh--.australia have lost his fairness and reputation severally only coz of a few irresponsible ministers who totally failed to task to whom they are elected for.to cover up their failures they have exercised esteemed power to beyond the limit.so i wouldnt rely on australia immigration on fair dealing any more .its like a mirage who ends up with nothing

Guest abeersalik

you should not give up just because of few idiots. this is your life....this is your dream....don't let anybody take away your dreams.

a wellwisher for you

SA

Hi Gill,

My hubby was talking on skype to an old work colleague in Perth (we worked in Perth 10 yrs ago). He is also a cabinetmaker, he has secured a contract to refurb a hotel, so he will be hiring a few tradies for the job and a few smaller jobs. He said he would definitely have work, just to get over there. Small problem of a visa.! I dont think he would be in a position to be promising 3 yrs of work to enable a 457!! but wont discount it, as its a starting point.

But I do not want to go out on a 457 only to find that we would never qualify for a perm visa. We are a family with 3 small children, and this is a perm move for us.

So to go ahead with a 176, we have 7 months to get visa application in before new points!

6 months to get SS WA

2 months TRA

2 months AQF (3500 euros here in Ireland)

We wouldnt have enough points under new system!

Yes it feels like a gamble with very poor odds.

We really want to move to Perth, have lived there before, have work to go to, but a visa is the stumbling block.

kind regards

cazmayo

Hiya,

We are getting our AQF III qualification through a great company called Australian Skill Assessements and they have been brilliant. Yes it's taken longer than we hoped but that has been down to the Master Builders in Australia processing the paperwork & booking the interview in as there is only one assessor for each trade. They have also beeen really good to us though and helpful so I would definitely recommend them and they cost us about £1800 as it's in Australian dollars but they have an office over here so are very easy to deal with. So it is a bit cheaper.

It really depends on how much you want to go, what you can afford etc If you want to get out there at some point ayway & that amount is more manageable then you could go for it as the AQF doesnt expire so if things turn around in a couple of years you can still use it? But if you think the odds are too much against you then perhaps it isn't worth that money.

The other thing is do you have 120 points as you can then apply under the general skilled route which only needs the AQF & then the skills assessement (not state sponsorship) & then you would be likely to get your application in in time even if it does take longer to process. That's what we are going to do, if we can't get state sponsorship in time then we will lodge a 175 so at least we would be likely to get there at some point rather than not at all.

Sorry I misunderstood about the job. Can your husbands friend sponsor you?

Don't know if any of that helps

Cara

Archived