Returnees - any updates on your move back ?

Guest valleylass

Guest valleylass

In the long,cold run up to the festive season have any of you got any news for us on MBTTUK?? Mr Catania should be back I think. Ozsceptic was struggling a bit, I hope things have picked up. MrsI seems to be ticking along nicely, Dawny and brood have settled back in well. Conniebygaslight has gone quiet, busy with the house build perhaps. That's just for starters there are a fair few returnees this year - let us know what you're up to please it's great to hear the good and the bad as we're all going through it.

We are really enjoying our new house, and despite work being a little difficult just recently there has been some good news on that front and I should be in a better position from January. My OH has started a new career and loves it, says he feels better than he has in years...how great is that! Our children are enjoying their learning immensely, as school here seems to suit them a little better. I won't lie it's been a tough old year with returning from Oz and in a sense starting all over again but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger:biggrin:

I'm a bit of an imposter being Canadian but have just returned to Canada. We bought a house in 6 days, so easy and affordable. Good job for husband that suits him, good neighbors for daughter to play with and a nice school. Less money worries, 7 minute bus ride for husband to work. All is good, except for a nagging doubt we should have tried harder to find a home to buy in Sydney...but am happy to be out of the traffic and congestion and expensive everything. Saw some family yesterday which made us feel happy. Enjoying being back more than I would have guessed with new things to appreciate about home. Trying to be in the moment instead of wondering how long before the next adventure, curse of the expat!

In the long,cold run up to the festive season have any of you got any news for us on MBTTUK?? Mr Catania should be back I think. Ozsceptic was struggling a bit, I hope things have picked up. MrsI seems to be ticking along nicely, Dawny and brood have settled back in well. Conniebygaslight has gone quiet, busy with the house build perhaps. That's just for starters there are a fair few returnees this year - let us know what you're up to please it's great to hear the good and the bad as we're all going through it.

We are really enjoying our new house, and despite work being a little difficult just recently there has been some good news on that front and I should be in a better position from January. My OH has started a new career and loves it, says he feels better than he has in years...how great is that! Our children are enjoying their learning immensely, as school here seems to suit them a little better. I won't lie it's been a tough old year with returning from Oz and in a sense starting all over again but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger:biggrin:

Hi valleylass, pleased to hear you are settling back in well, Good news regarding your o/h work, Sometimes we have to try things new, it may be the push we need! You must be so pleased that the children have settled so well, Onwards and upwards as you say its been a tough last year and come new years eve i will raise a glass to a new year and great times ahead!

We too have settled back really well, o/h returned to work as a plumber and hasn't stopped, he has been really busy which is good! Children are now all safely back into schools (once we did appeals lol) The house is coming along nicely, extension almost built, fingers crossed the roof will go on this week! So busy busy busy!

Would be good to hear from others who have returned! Keep us posted! :wubclub:

Dawny xx

I'm a bit of an imposter being Canadian but have just returned to Canada. We bought a house in 6 days, so easy and affordable. Good job for husband that suits him, good neighbors for daughter to play with and a nice school. Less money worries, 7 minute bus ride for husband to work. All is good, except for a nagging doubt we should have tried harder to find a home to buy in Sydney...but am happy to be out of the traffic and congestion and expensive everything. Saw some family yesterday which made us feel happy. Enjoying being back more than I would have guessed with new things to appreciate about home. Trying to be in the moment instead of wondering how long before the next adventure, curse of the expat!

TUT TUT an Imposter no! Its good to hear how things are going for you! So pleased to hear that you have settled back , must have been great to catch up with family, also helps with good neighbors and schools! Wishing you all the very best, keep us posted, especially if you experience itchy feet and decide to go on your travels again :wacko:

Guest valleylass
I'm a bit of an imposter being Canadian but have just returned to Canada.

Not an imposter at all, it's great to hear anyone's good news. Canada is a gorgeous country, so vast and beautiful. Glad you're more secure financially it must take a load off the mind.

Do you live on a prairie??

Not an imposter at all, it's great to hear anyone's good news. Canada is a gorgeous country, so vast and beautiful. Glad you're more secure financially it must take a load off the mind.

Do you live on a prairie??

Calgary is on the edge of the prairies, I grew up in the middle of the Saskatchewan prairies! Coming from Canada made it harder to stay in Oz we have our own beauty here...miss that tropical greenery though. We plan to go skiing in the Rockies this winter to enjoy what's right at our doorstep. Thanks!

Hey Guys, sorry for being so quiet but we have been soo busy. We moved into our house over the weekend after huge renovations and are waiting for planning to approve our extension. What can I say about being back apart from absolutely loving it. We can't get enough of good old Blighty....and are so happy for the first time in years to not be wishing we were somewhere else.

The children are settled, husband has a great job and I have my sanity back!

Calgary is on the edge of the prairies, I grew up in the middle of the Saskatchewan prairies! Coming from Canada made it harder to stay in Oz we have our own beauty here...miss that tropical greenery though. We plan to go skiing in the Rockies this winter to enjoy what's right at our doorstep. Thanks!

Hi Prarie Girl,

I too think that moving from Canada to Oz makes it harder to settle. Two weeks Thursday we fly to Toronto and I am so excited now.

I think I am going to appreciate Canada so much more when I get back.

Can't wait to use my OHIP card again, and not having to worry if the Doctor bulk bills, choice of shopping, and finally change of seasons.

Glad you have settled right back in... hoping the same for us !!

Cheers

Karen

Hi Prarie Girl,

I too think that moving from Canada to Oz makes it harder to settle. Two weeks Thursday we fly to Toronto and I am so excited now.

I think I am going to appreciate Canada so much more when I get back.

Can't wait to use my OHIP card again, and not having to worry if the Doctor bulk bills, choice of shopping, and finally change of seasons.

Glad you have settled right back in... hoping the same for us !!

Cheers

Karen

Good luck Karen with it all, I will email you.

Well we have been back here 5 months 1 day and are so happy!! My husband is working luckily for us he had the job before we left Oz. I am not working and not trying to hard I have 2 young children one who has started nursery 5 mornings and the other at home with me. It is nice to be a stay at home mum...we would never have survived in Oz on one wage but here it is certainly more doable...most things are cheaper and it certainly is easier to survive.

We have lots of memories from Oz and always will but I must say I feel like a different person living back here....back to being me!! I honestly say hand on heart I dont miss much about Oz although other people would beg to differ they think they know my life better than me and cannot accept that I do actually prefer to live in the UK closer to family and friends and to see my two young boys with their loving families around them. I try not to let them people bother me but really wish they would give up on gossiping about my life!!

A good thread Valleylass....I do come on PIO sometimes for a browse but dont always find the time to post...good to hear how you are all doing:biggrin:

Hi all, yes can say things are settling down here - although we have found it enormously difficult but I think that is more to do with the extra changes we have had in leaving eldest there, selling house in Oz from here and sending number 2 son off to uni - major move and an empty nest all at once. That coupled with the news that my BF here has breast cancer (hate even writing it) has led to an emotional time.

On the practical side - everything going well - we are going to continue to rent this gorgeous house in the middle of National Trust land for another 6 months as we are being very fussy about where we want to live and also tying up our cash until we know how the economy will pan out. OH's job is great - freedom, autonomy, trust and decent money. He is also back working on the film sets instead of doing NHS overtime which he loves and our animator son is getting work experience there. My work is flourishing mainly at home but out with clients once or twice a week but around for my daughter.

Things for her have been very up and down educationally fantastic, socially - some teenage issues to deal with that I am sure would have been the same in Oz as here. She does find the UK kids more up front but I think she forget that she is also very up front which got her into trouble for minor misdemeanours in Oz - here she is achieving positive feedback through studying.

You do definitely go through a honeymoon period and then there is a period of flatness and worry whether you have done the right thing and then there is acceptance and proper settling. All classic stages of re-integration. Ponging is always tempting - but I just take myself back to a typical flat and boring saturday in Oz and I remember why we are home.

Also one last thing - as I sit here in my conservatory looking out at the grey mist - the sun comes out here almost every single day even if only for half an hour ( I am watching for it) and when I step outside the fresh cold air tastes like heaven after the muggy humidity of QLD and my bed is so cosy and warm - I do love it.

Well we are currently at Townsville airport waiting for our flight to Brisbane, fly out on Thursday to Manchester. Good to hear from you Connie, pleased you are all so happy just hope that's going to be us very soon.

Good Luck everyone will keep you posted on how we get on.

Lordy Clare, that was quick...all the best and will hopefully catch up soon x

I have been very busy since arriving. Had a bit of a party on the first night. Took advantage of pints that now only cost less than 3 quid. Bought a mobile broadband dongle for a fraction of the price as the same one in Oz, so now on line. Living in my old flat, there are still remnants of bits I left behind, and started my 'new' old job yesterday. It is very eerie though, it feels like a timewharp and I have just lost a year and a half of my life somewhere.

Still in the early stages, but strangely feels like I dont belong here either, I guess as my old routine becomes the norm things will settle down, hope so as I have woken up at 4am the past 2 mornings wondering if I have done the right thing, what could have been done differently etc.

I did leave my sister and family back in Oz.. and miss them all so much.

Can't complain about the cold at the mo.... only a few months ago it was 4 degrees and I was scraping the ice off the car in Melbourne!

Guest guest36762
I have been very busy since arriving. Had a bit of a party on the first night. Took advantage of pints that now only cost less than 3 quid. Bought a mobile broadband dongle for a fraction of the price as the same one in Oz, so now on line. Living in my old flat, there are still remnants of bits I left behind, and started my 'new' old job yesterday. It is very eerie though, it feels like a timewharp and I have just lost a year and a half of my life somewhere.

Still in the early stages, but strangely feels like I dont belong here either, I guess as my old routine becomes the norm things will settle down, hope so as I have woken up at 4am the past 2 mornings wondering if I have done the right thing, what could have been done differently etc.

Can't complain about the cold at the mo.... only a few months ago it was 4 degrees and I was scraping the ice off the car in Melbourne!

stick with it mate

there's a high price to pay for changing your mind and going back to Aus

it's called a life of ping pong

that way lies madness

Sounds all perfectly normal - I felt like a complete nutter when I first got back - it's reverse culture shock and also it takes time to realise that you have changed and everything else hasn't - eventually you will realise that's a great thing as your experience is not lost and has opened your eyes and you can embrace your life in Uk (or wherever you choose to live) in a different way. You are not alone!

Take it easy and be kind to yourself.

:hug:

Guest valleylass
Sounds all perfectly normal - I felt like a complete nutter when I first got back

Ditto that. It'll take a while for it all to settle down and the disconnection with the world you now inhabit to feel like 'yours' again. Good on the job front though, can I ask did you own your flat?

Its okay I am going to be like you in 3 weeks time. Going back to my old job in Canada, not sure how I am going to feel to tell you the truth.

Seems very surreal at the moment, as we only made the decision to go back last Monday and it has been a whirlwind since then, booking flights, rehoming animals, selling everything, so I haven't had much time to think about when we arrive.

I am sure I am going to have moments like have we done the right thing, however, I am a firm believer in fate, and the fact that I got my old job back, and that everything has sold in less than 2 weeks tells me that I have made the right decision to go back home.

So looking forward to Christmas this year, no more christmas spending in my bed crying my eyes out, looking forward to a proper christmas dinner, and a white christmas to boot.

Cheers

Karen

I have been back for 7 weeks now although I came back under different circumstances is wasn't planned. I managed to get a good job which I am waiting on police clearances before I start. Unsettled in the sense that I have just lost my dad and my husband is still in Australia got both kids with me now but I still feel 'at home' despite all that. My husband and daughter want to stay in Australia till next september, her for college year starting and him for citizenship and work. My new job have agreed to employ me till March then cover me for 6 months so I can return to be with my husband then keep my job open, can't ask for more than that and it will also give me time to know I have made the right decision which I think I have.

My husband has just booked his flights for christmas yippee. Financially it has been a drain and we can't sell our house in Oz hence another reason for my husband staying. Love going shopping food, clothes etc! Weather hasn't bothered me at all and don't miss Australia but got to admit miss my space in the house a bit but maybe that is to do with staying in a tiny cottage. Good to hear everyone elses stories.

Also one last thing - as I sit here in my conservatory looking out at the grey mist - the sun comes out here almost every single day even if only for half an hour ( I am watching for it) and when I step outside the fresh cold air tastes like heaven after the muggy humidity of QLD and my bed is so cosy and warm - I do love it.

Now that does make me feel homesick, the winter sun and the fresh cold air, enjoy every moment!!

hI ALL

any suggestion on what moving company to use not PSS had bad stuff with them on way over, also whats the procudes for taking my little dog back with me thanks Den

Guest christi
hI ALL

any suggestion on what moving company to use not PSS had bad stuff with them on way over, also whats the procudes for taking my little dog back with me thanks Den

Hi Den

Mmmmknow what you mean about them.Theres a few companies who get a mention on the MBTTUK threads, that sound good, so have a read of those

As far as your little dog is concerned, I would say, speak to Jetpets, they will be able to give you all the info you need and tell you what you need to do. We are using them, and they are really helpful:biggrin:

Guest Jan'n'Lee
I'm a bit of an imposter being Canadian but have just returned to Canada. Trying to be in the moment instead of wondering how long before the next adventure, curse of the expat!

Hi Prairie Girl,

Welcome home.... I'm in Calgary too, whereabouts do you live?

I guess the weather is welcoming you back too :snow:

Janet

Archived