Returnees - any updates on your move back ?

Guest valleylass

Hi Prairie Girl' date='

Welcome home.... I'm in Calgary too, whereabouts do you live?

I guess the weather is welcoming you back too :snow:

Janet[/quote']

We are in Regal Terrace, Just north of Bridgeland, very inner city. I am so happy about my house and so looking forward to Christmas I am not minding the snow. Where did you live in Australia?

Guest valleylass
Hi when did you return and to where in England, we are thinking of returning

Hi Den46

I don't know whether this is directed at me but I'll answer it anyway! Returned in February 2010 to South Yorkshire. We used Crown for the return leg and they were very good. Hope you make the right choice for you and your family either returning or staying.

Good Luck

Guest Jan'n'Lee
We are in Regal Terrace, Just north of Bridgeland, very inner city. I am so happy about my house and so looking forward to Christmas I am not minding the snow. Where did you live in Australia?

We never lived there yet! We moved to Calgary from England 11 1/2 years ago. We decided to apply to go to Australia over two years ago now after my brother in law and his family moved there. We only just got a case officer after all this time.

To be honest we never thought it would take this long and my kids are 12 and 18 now and they say they don't want to go, Calgary is there home.

Not sure i want to go now too.... life moves on in two years and to be honest I love Calgary, the only thing we didn't like was the winters!!!

My in-laws just visited there (Sydney) and they say it is very expensive. After researching, my husband believes that his salary there would not match what he gets here so I think if we did go we may be compromising our way of life.

We have a pretty nice house here in Coventry Hills and we are a lot closer to England should we need to return for any reason... it's quite a dilemma.

Janet

Hi Janet, well, for what it's worth, my advice would be if you are only going for the weather but are happy with everything else in your life here, then don't go. You will get nicer weather yes, but we found we just traded the problem of the long winters for a host of other problems, mostly related to cost of living. Unless you make a lot more money there it will be tough, we found any 3 bedroom unit or house in Sydney to be massively overpriced, and the quality wasn't good. But if you just want a change and an adventure then maybe you can make it work...good luck. Feel free to email me if you have other questions.

Hi Janet, well, for what it's worth, my advice would be if you are only going for the weather but are happy with everything else in your life here, then don't go. You will get nicer weather yes, but we found we just traded the problem of the long winters for a host of other problems, mostly related to cost of living. Unless you make a lot more money there it will be tough, we found any 3 bedroom unit or house in Sydney to be massively overpriced, and the quality wasn't good. But if you just want a change and an adventure then maybe you can make it work...good luck. Feel free to email me if you have other questions.

Agree 100% with you Prarie Girl..... if it aint broke why fix it. I used to complain about the weather in Canada, but OMG am so looking forward to going back to Canadian weather in less than 2 weeks. Even though you may think sunshine is great, I for one am sitting indoors today, as it is going to be 38 degrees.... that is bloody hot.

Oh and don't forgot about the health system, the health system here is really a mix of the Canadian and US health system.... not all doctors bulk bill.

Oh and don't get me started on the cost of living here, if you do move over make sure that you earn a really and I mean really good wage... Gas is running anywhere from $1.11 to $1.31 a litre... a 2 litre bottle of pop not on sale will set you back about $2.49.

I for one am going to be a happy bunny once I touch down on Canadian soil.... looking forward to my timmies xl for $1.85 (oh it might have gone up in 2 years lol).

Looking forward to daylight savings next summer, and changing seasons... not homesick much am I LOL.

Cheers

Karen

We never lived there yet! We moved to Calgary from England 11 1/2 years ago. We decided to apply to go to Australia over two years ago now after my brother in law and his family moved there. We only just got a case officer after all this time.

To be honest we never thought it would take this long and my kids are 12 and 18 now and they say they don't want to go' date=' Calgary is there home.

Not sure i want to go now too.... life moves on in two years and to be honest I love Calgary, the only thing we didn't like was the winters!!!

My in-laws just visited there (Sydney) and they say it is very expensive. After researching, my husband believes that his salary there would not match what he gets here so I think if we did go we may be compromising our way of life.

We have a pretty nice house here in Coventry Hills and we are a lot closer to England should we need to return for any reason... it's quite a dilemma.

Janet[/quote']

Hi Janet,

We moved from Canada to Perth 2 years ago with twin 15 year olds. The girls really haven't settled from day one... the one told me from day one that she would move back to Canada at aged 18.

They have found it hard, they have some friends, but not alot, and no other family around them.... it was very lonely for them.

We are heading home in less than 2 weeks, my girls are choming at the bit.... they won't miss Australia... they said they will miss some friends, but that is it. They hated high school here, felt it was like a prison compared to the Canadian high schools.

Also I have friends who live in Edmonton and work in Fort McMurray they are an english couple who have been in Canada for 5 years, there reasons were almost identical to yours to moving to Australia. They just came over in October to validate their visas, and now won't be moving. My friends OH found it too hot in Perth in October, so he would die here in January, and he is making $50.00 a hour in Canada and would make $35.00 a hour here, so they decided it wasn't worth the risk to move here and live worse off. She found it bloody expensive when she came in October.

Cheers

Karen

Guest Guest31881

To be honest we never thought it would take this long and my kids are 12 and 18 now and they say they don't want to go' date=' Calgary is there home.

Janet[/quote']

Hi Janet,

From reading your post I think you should seriously consider if moving would be the right thing for you. I moved to Australia and I am perfectly happy. You raise doubts and my honest opinion is if you have those doubts now, then moving would probably be the wrong thing to do. Give it very careful consideration before you make any decisions. and if you do decide to move to Australia then make sure you have an escape plan in case your doubts turn out to be true for your family.

I love Australia, but I will be the first to admit it is not the perfect place for everyone.

Guest Jan'n'Lee
Hi Janet,

We moved from Canada to Perth 2 years ago with twin 15 year olds. The girls really haven't settled from day one... the one told me from day one that she would move back to Canada at aged 18.

They have found it hard, they have some friends, but not alot, and no other family around them.... it was very lonely for them.

We are heading home in less than 2 weeks, my girls are choming at the bit.... they won't miss Australia... they said they will miss some friends, but that is it. They hated high school here, felt it was like a prison compared to the Canadian high schools.

Also I have friends who live in Edmonton and work in Fort McMurray they are an english couple who have been in Canada for 5 years, there reasons were almost identical to yours to moving to Australia. They just came over in October to validate their visas, and now won't be moving. My friends OH found it too hot in Perth in October, so he would die here in January, and he is making $50.00 a hour in Canada and would make $35.00 a hour here, so they decided it wasn't worth the risk to move here and live worse off. She found it bloody expensive when she came in October.

Cheers

Karen

Thanks Karen,

I am almost 99.9% sure that we are not going to go. OH would be paid about $15 an hour less there than here and I will not leave my 18 year old daughter here and we can't force her to go!!!

My twelve year old has been here since he was 6 months old so he's a canadian.... just wish I could get my money back.

I drive to work and I see the Rockies and I know I am already very lucky.

Also I just signed a three year contract on my new iphone 4 so I can't let Bell down :jiggy:

Thanks ladies, I appreciate your feedback. Now I'm gonna nestle in for a white Christmas :reindeer2:

Janet

My quick update

Things still going good here, hairdressing business is building up nicely, doing a classroom assistant course at the college and go into the school one day a week for my placement, hoping to progress to Level 2.

Colin got a job straight away, and hoping he will be taken on before Xmas.

Looking forward to Christmas now, so i can spend it with friends and family, love the stress and build up to everything, Oz just to laid back, not enough to do, unless going to the beach!!

Anyway hope everyone else is settling back well

Tania xx

Guest valleylass

Dear Canadians

How great to get your contributions to this thread; a good friend of ours returned to Canada from the UK a couple of years ago and it has taken a while to settle but she has forged a life for herself there having been away for years. Her tales of snow are legendary!

Hi all

its seems that some of you say about itchy feet well when i get back home and if i get itchy feet will just go on holiday to somewhere hot a lot cheaper , all the best to you all hope to be back in good old Kent JULY

Hi all

its seems that some of you say about itchy feet well when i get back home and if i get itchy feet will just go on holiday to somewhere hot a lot cheaper , all the best to you all hope to be back in good old Kent JULY

No kidding, I am looking forward to going on holiday back to Sydney in 5 years and hanging out at Balmoral Beach!

Archived