Laptop - buy in uk or Oz

twinkletoes35

Thanks for that, of course it would help if I knew the first thing about the specs of them lol, We are moving to Townsville, which I think is near to Mackay? Will I get much retail choice or should I rely on online?

Thanks for the info and advice!!

TT xx

Hello All

Looking for a bit of advice my home PC is getting on bit, and there are a few deals in the UK on laptops, if I do decide to take the plunge should I buy here or will I get a better deal when I get to Oz?

love to hear your thoughts

TT x

I would've thought better to buy here in Australia so you have the warranty...

But saying that we had a problem with a Dell laptop and it was sorted out here with no problems at all.

So I'd have thought depends on where you buy from.

The Dell Studio are great laptops

Studio Laptop 15 Details | Dell UK

£629

They don't actually do the 15" in Australia only the 17" and they are big laptops...

i5 processor :-)

64bit windows 7 so it'll use all 4gb of ram unlike the 32bit only using 3gb ish

Separate graphics card a must in a laptop really for performance this has a 1gb in so not bad...

Only downside I can see is the 5400 speed hard drive I replaced my daughters with a 7200 it does make a big difference.

Maybe worth asking if they can upgrade that before it's bought?

Hope that helps

Howard

Guest TheGarrisons

Im not sure about this one , but as far as warranty goes i had a hp in england took it over here , it broke i called h they got me to take it into a local office and put new parts into it for free, the warrentys are international , so you dont have to worry about taking it back to currys or wherever you baught it from. i found a bargain of a deal from the uk before i came out here on Desktop PCs, Netbooks, Computer Hardware, Inkjet Printers & More | IT247.com | IT247.com , a smashing little samsung netbook for £180 !! it was £300 on Amazon , and if you search the web you can get discount vouchers for this shop too!

Im not sure about this one , but as far as warranty goes i had a hp in england took it over here , it broke i called h they got me to take it into a local office and put new parts into it for free, the warrentys are international , so you dont have to worry about taking it back to currys or wherever you baught it from. i found a bargain of a deal from the uk before i came out here on Desktop PCs, Netbooks, Computer Hardware, Inkjet Printers & More | IT247.com | IT247.com , a smashing little samsung netbook for £180 !! it was £300 on Amazon , and if you search the web you can get discount vouchers for this shop too!

Netbooks are great for travelling or I have 1 I use to remote operate my main computers when in garden etc.

Too small and the keypad takes some getting used to.

Nice the price you paid though.

I love mine but it aint a laptop and never will be at the size they are and mines tucked away in the drawer most of the time.

Howard

Netbooks are great for travelling or I have 1 I use to remote operate my main computers when in garden etc.

Too small and the keypad takes some getting used to.

Nice the price you paid though.

I love mine but it aint a laptop and never will be at the size they are and mines tucked away in the drawer most of the time.

Howard

An alternative solution... to use the netbook with an external LCD monitor, keyboard and mouse, and then take it out as a standalone unit when travelling. That's what I would do if I got one. Only other netbook con is lack of CD drive.

An alternative solution... to use the netbook with an external LCD monitor, keyboard and mouse, and then take it out as a standalone unit when travelling. That's what I would do if I got one. Only other netbook con is lack of CD drive.

That'll work but most cheaper netbooks have only 1 gb ram shared with the graphics and are pretty slow at running but are much better with win7 compared win vista which was so poor.

Just noticed on UK Dell website you can get a reasonable XPS laptop for about £649 with the faster 7200 Hard drive as standard.

Dell XPS 15 Laptop Details | Dell UK

I guess a lot depends on what you'll be using the laptop for.

Because with a laptop its really wise to get advice on what to buy cos they're not as easy to update in the future.

Howard

Guest gazandruth

I sound like I work for Apple but I don't.you can take an apple laptop to ANY apple store all over the world and they will fix it.2 years ago a lightning storm over surged my power cord an I took it to a store in Thailand.no worries just a straight swap and I was back on the road!!

Just checked out the prices of the new mac air and was surprised to find that given the current exchange rate it is quite a bit cheaper in Aus (had been thinking of getting one in UK then getting the VAT back) and you dont have to bother with an adaptor or new charger if you are going to use it in Australia. Wait until you get there I reckon. Some of the other brands are cheap as chips at the mo.

Guest gazandruth

I don't know about the new mac book air but the old version didn't have a cd drive you had to use an external one!something to think about!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Apple say their warranty is global so that shouldn't be a problem.

You'll likely have to buy an adaptor for the mains plug on the charger unit--but that's a minor niggle.

One biggish issue to watch for though is if you opt for the version with 3G capability, you don't want one with an Australian data plan, otherwise you will be on expensive "roaming" in the UK. Apple stores sell them with just the micro-SIM slot so you can buy your own data plan, but purchase of the whole iPad through a phone company wouldn't be a good idea.

Finally, technically the value of duty-free gifts is limited to quite low amounts so duty and VAT might be payable to import the iPad. UK customs often miss things (or look the other way) but, if you get caught, duty and VAT would likely make it more expensive than a unit purchased in the UK. You "pays your money and takes your chances".

Bob

Archived