Skilled Visa Points Test - Summary and Comment

Alan Collett

As I said - you have to know HOW to take IELTS exam, it's something more than just language skills. Maybe that's why people who do courses get better marks.

As for the topics like a library or book - you can totally make things up, they only mark your vocabulary, grammar, logic flow (especially using words like therefore, then, as a result of, on the other hand, surprisingly, etc). There are techniques for eg writers - how to get ideas and organise text, they help a lot. The library: introduction: how can I use it (history? manuals? how to build a patio?), community and library: (meetings, poetry for kids, exchanging local recipes, free computer courses for seniors), results of those actions: (bringing people together, elderly know better upcoming local events thanks to the Internet, thus more active and sociable?). The point is the ideas don't have to be perfect, you have to focus on proper FORM rather (correct sentences, properly used vocabulary) than content. The purpose is to speak properly for a certain number of minutes.

I recommend books for writers (beginners) it helps you "make up" things, organise ideas and use proper "linking" words that make the text (or speech) flow.

Paradoxically, I think that it might be easier to pass IELTS for some foreigners, as we simply don't know incorrect or colloquial forms. Native English speakers have to be very careful not to use those :) My English is not perfect, but if there is a topic about IELTS, I can give some tips.

I agree that for tradies it's not quite fair - they don't need perfect language skills to be very good employees. But on the other hand, I think that doctors and nurses definitely should know English very well. There is no place for errors in their job (also sometimes they have to react quickly), if they mishear or misunderstand something...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Go Matilda comment on the situation for those with trade skills.

I believe that many who are at the start really ought to commit to the skills assessment process - before the SMPs are published - if they are to have half a chance at being in a position to apply for a skilled visa before the anticipated new points test comes into effect.

If they don't commit soon - and yes, spend some money - I think it quite possible they will run out of time. Remember how long WA and QLD were taking to process Sponsorship applications 9 months ago? I feel sure there are going to be large numbers applying to these States as and when their SMPs are published.

Best regards.

This is what I'm worrying about my hubby takes his ielts on the 20th November we get results on the 4th or there abouts what if he doesnt get the overall 7 score he needs and has to sit it again will he have enough time to apply for SS for WA and then lodge his visa before July as he wont make the new points system and guess what he's a tradey!!!! Even if he does make 7 in his overall score what if WA dont release their SMP until Jan 2011 its pushing it to get SS????

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Go Matilda comment on the situation for those with trade skills.

I believe that many who are at the start really ought to commit to the skills assessment process - before the SMPs are published - if they are to have half a chance at being in a position to apply for a skilled visa before the anticipated new points test comes into effect.

If they don't commit soon - and yes, spend some money - I think it quite possible they will run out of time. Remember how long WA and QLD were taking to process Sponsorship applications 9 months ago? I feel sure there are going to be large numbers applying to these States as and when their SMPs are published.

Best regards.

Alan, I totally agree with your advice.

Guest Mongobear

Hi fellows,

this article contains some figures about the IELTS and the new points test

Language rules lift bar for sector | The Australian

He (John Findley, a veteran education counsellor and migration agent) cited IELTS data showing that only native English speakers (41 per cent) had a double digit chance of scoring eight or higher.

At this level of proficiency, the success rates for those with other first languages were single digit: Chinese (2 per cent), Hindi (6 per cent), Spanish (5 per cent ) and Arabic (2 per cent).

Discriminatory is a strong word. A score of 7 or 8 is a tough benchmark, but migrants are competing with native speakers and native Australians for jobs and (even if one discounts basic prejudices that mar the recruitment process) a differential in language skills is one of the simplest filters a recruiter can apply. I have worked with competent but not fluent English speakers and in >95% of cases they have not flourished in a native English speaking professional environment.

The high benchmark proposed will dictate that only those non-native speakers whose English competency is sufficient to offer them a level playing field in a professional environment will be given points towards their visa qualification. Personally, I find the suggestion of non-linguistic (read racial) discrimination under-pinning this change in the points test somewhat distateful. An English test is a test of competency not of skin colour.

I do however concur that it is a tough measure for those working in the trades where perfectly written letters/emails etc aren't a matter of importance

Someone pls answer;

Has anyone noticed that in the new point system it says: "all applicants must nominate an occupation from the new list." Does that mean only a handful of occupations will be accepted at all? What about getting 65 points but have a different occupation, what happens in that case?

Kokki, it means exactly what it says. In your occupation isn't on the list you can't apply for this visa (although there are other visas you may be eligible for).

Also not being mentioned is that all applicants must score at least a 6 on their IELTS test (UK and other applicants from English speaking countries are presumably exempt) or they aren't eligible to apply.

Archived