Info for a UK student coming on a Gap "Year"

Diane

Hi

I've been asked by an old friend in the UK if I can find out anything for her daughter who is hoping to come to Australia for a gap six months next year (from January to July), working while she's here to pay her way.

Anyone know of any good forums she could go on for kids/young adults that are doing this? She's 19 and has done a course in office systems, and one in cooking (like chalet catering type thing I think) and is currently working in Fortnum and Masons to raise some of the fund for the trip, but will be looking at finding something to work at while she's out here to fund the rest of her trip.

No idea which cities she's planning on visiting (although possibly not Adelaide!) but if anyone has any friends or rellies that have done this, or any of you have done it in the recent future before getting the migration bug, all tips and advice gratefully received!

Thanking you all in advance....

Diane

I did a year between school and uni.. Dont know of any forums dedicated to that kind of thing, but once shes here and into a hostel, theres a million other people that age doing the exact same thing. It might seem daunting at first, but everyone else is in the same boat, so everyone makes an effort to talk to everyone. The hostels organise social events etc too, so its really easy to get meeting folk.

She wont want to go home after 6 months!

Free Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Jobs, Property & More | Gumtree Sydney is a good site to start with for accommodation, jobs and social connections if you need them. This is the Sydney page but there are links to everywhere. I'd be telling the parents to make sure she has an emergency credit card (perhaps on their account and she can pay them back later) in case she needs it. Hope she has a good time.

Archived