huntsman spider

Guest jeza

Guest guest32776
Thanks Bob, it's definitely a Huntsman. I have kept spiders for 30 odd years.

I always thought keeping spiders as pets was a fetish limited to goths and 'emo's...

Thanks Bob, it's definitely a Huntsman. I have kept spiders for 30 odd years. The biggest difference is that Wolf Spiders have 2 large 'main' eyes high on their heads. They also don't sit flat like Huntsmans do, they sit up high on their legs.

Do you mind me asking you what do huntsman spiders do if disturbed...do they bite at all? I don't think my uk plastic spider catcher is going to be big enough to catch a huntsman!

Guest guest32776

If they freak you out look for a more modern property without nooks and crannies for these bad boys to crawl in through - Queenslanders (type of house) will get more spiders, roaches etc as they invariably have a few gaps here and there. Get a property with trimmed lawn, no trees, undergrowth - definitely don't keep wood piles around?? That would mean less critters too. I once stayed in a house right in the 'bush' at Tallow Beach in Byron Bay - it was beautiful but soon realised it was riddled with huntsmen - slept under mossie nets and had a bizarre sense of being watched for the week we were there by possibly hundreds of eyes - as they have 8 a piece!!!

Guest guest32776
Do you mind me asking you what do huntsman spiders do if disturbed...do they bite at all? I don't think my uk plastic spider catcher is going to be big enough to catch a huntsman!

They rise up on the back legs, also can jump and if you pick them up cling and are more likely to bite (not dangerous but can make you ill for a day or two). They also don't make webs making them harder to find. May be some one knows if there is a hard core gadget available to remove them - as I imagine you might find your UK fisherprice spider catcher woefully inadequate!!!! :twitcy:

If they freak you out look for a more modern property without nooks and crannies for these bad boys to crawl in through - Queenslanders (type of house) will get more spiders, roaches etc as they invariably have a few gaps here and there. Get a property with trimmed lawn, no trees, undergrowth - definitely don't keep wood piles around?? That would mean less critters too. I once stayed in a house right in the 'bush' at Tallow Beach in Byron Bay - it was beautiful but soon realised it was riddled with huntsmen - slept under mossie nets and had a bizarre sense of being watched for the week we were there by possibly hundreds of eyes - as they have 8 a piece!!!

Thx for this, very valuable information. I might just live in a space suit...lol

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Someone once posted on PIO that they had lived in Australia for over 40 years and only saw one snake in that time and a handful of spiders. I am sure someone will say the following - it all depends where you live near the bush or suburbia and it probably differs from state to state. YES they exhist ............. are they a problem, i doubt it, i can't vouch for that i don't live there, yet, i am sure someone will have a say on this, they look scarey though, but are they rare?

Do you see snakes - once a week, once a month, once a year on average.

Do you see Huntsmans - once a week, once a month, once a year?

This is a huntsman spider: Family sparassidae

KITE039.jpg

Spider Identification Chart > AUSTRALIA < Venomous Dangerous Spiders

Cheers, Bobj.

G'day ausdreamer, this was about 4.5 inches across.

Cheers, Bobj.

I was rather shocked how big they are...I never realised. I need to do my homework and know a bit more about some of the critters I could be facing!

I have to respect all the creepy crawlies in Aus, as it is their country I am moving to. How on earth would you tackle one to remove it out of your house?

I don't like to harm anything...oh apart from my husband! :laugh:

Someone once posted on PIO that they had lived in Australia for over 40 years and only saw one snake in that time and a handful of spiders. I am sure someone will say the following - it all depends where you live near the bush or suburbia and it probably differs from state to state. YES they exhist ............. are they a problem, i doubt it, i can't vouch for that i don't live there, yet, i am sure someone will have a say on this, they look scarey though, but are they rare?

Do you see snakes - once a week, once a month, once a year on average.

Do you see Huntsmans - once a week, once a month, once a year?

I grew up in suburban Melbourne on a quater acre block with a bushy block over the back fence. I've only ever seen one wild snake and that was at Wilson's Prom (a National Park - all bush). We would get huntsman spiders in the house often enough, more during the summer. Perhaps seven or eight a year, I guess.

With regards to getting rid of them you can either suck them up the hoover - though this is kinda cruel to the spider who then suffocates to death in the dust - or cover them with a drinking glass, slide a bit of card board under them and let them go outside.

Guest chris955

The Huntsman I found eating the lizard would have been maybe 5 inches across and would if it wanted to deliver a painful bite but they prefer to run away to be honest. One of my boys squashed one inside his shoe a few months ago and even that one didn't try and bite.

Wolf Spiders on the other hand are aggressive and will bite with little provocation but fortunately rarely come into houses. You MUST wear gloves when gardening though.

• 2 months later...
Guest Liamando
G'day ausdreamer, this was about 4.5 inches across.

Cheers, Bobj.

I was rather shocked how big they are...I never realised. I need to do my homework and know a bit more about some of the critters I could be facing!

I have to respect all the creepy crawlies in Aus, as it is their country I am moving to. How on earth would you tackle one to remove it out of your house?

Gordon Bennett. This is the very thing that makes me think twice about visiting!

How on earth do you deal with one when its in your house?

How often do you guys see them in your house, from experience?

I have been looking at Western Aus (Perth), and Melbourne

Guest siamsusie

Never saw them in WA tbh, but here in Tasmania I see them a fair bit. Winter is fine but Spring and Summer brings them out , proudly introducing their children to me:wink:

The Buddhist in me cant kill the little blighters , thats my husband's job.

Now a friend of mine in Queensland is exceptionally eager to tell me that she has a bird eating spider in her garage, that is another ball game I think

bird_eating_spider01.jpg

Guest siamsusie
[

Now a friend of mine in Queensland is exceptionally eager to tell me that she has a bird eating spider in her garage, that is another ball game I think

bird_eating_spider01.jpg

:swoon::swoon::swoon: Thats all i can say

Yes and they have been introduced into S. Australia as well:wink: they love a Brickie:biggrin::biggrin:

:swoon::swoon::swoon: Thats all i can say

Yes and they have been introduced into S. Australia as well:wink: they love a Brickie

:biglaugh:Pabs its ok i'll start working on a colander type hat for ya , you will be fine :biglaugh:

:wubclub:i promise i won't put feathers on it honestly :biglaugh:

:wideeyed:Scary stuff , mind i find kangeroos more scary then anything , when we were in WA , a male didn't like me very much lol A male kangeroo by the way lol

Funny enuf im not arsed about snakes which ARE dangerous,just not fussed on spiders,moreso when im asleep im on about,deffo debating a closed in mozzie net:laugh:,bridey,jan was dying to see roos,but when we went to a park her bottle went when a mob of about 20 stood up clocking us like a gang of 4 legged furry hoodies!:yes::biglaugh:

She said" .......ghell,their not behind a fence!":shocked::biglaugh:,she was ok in he end tho!