Painter/Decorator, Melbourne, ABN card. Help!!!

Guest Eddy Munsen

Guest Eddy Munsen

Hi there people. Ill keep this as short as poss.

Me and the missus just waiting on nursing registration and visa, shouldnt be too long at all now, hopefully be there within the next month.

Im a time served painter and decorator and Ive just completed my white card online. The thing im trying to understand about is this ABN (Australian business number). Most painter vacancies i see online require ABN card and own transport. Is it not common to work for a company? from what i gather this ABN looks like being 'self employed'. If there any other tradesmen or anyone with any tips/advice on this it would be much appreciated.

Guest andymags

hey Eddie,

I'm also a painter,I went over to oz in june, i managed to secure myself a job with an employer , on the books, if you want to go down the subbie route you have to have an abn and also you own tools and transport,ie self employment. I decided thet i didn't want the hassle of self employment as ive had my own business here in the uk for nearly 10 years, IM now waiting on ens121 visa with my future employer sponsoring me, Hope this is of help, andy

Guest Eddy Munsen

Hi Andy. Cheers for that :)

I agree i ve done the self employment thing here, would much prefer the employment alternative.

Would u say its still a decent alternative to work for someone out there then?

Im noticing alot of people dont show much interest yet, and from what i gather its best once your out there finding a job. Is that about right?

:)

Guest Eddy Munsen

Hi all. Its all falling in place, I am aware of needing a TFN (Tax file number), and then ABN (Australian business number), to become a legit tradesman, (time served painter & decorator).

I have been time served since 1998 and I became a full time mature student from 2006-2009 but have been in and out in my trade since graduating July 2009.

With my current work situation pretty desperate while im still here in uk, would anyone at all know whether this could affect me gaining an ABN when i arrive?

Does anyone at all know of any specific credentials i will need to be able to gain my ABN? (besides a TFN first).

I would much prefer to work for a company, but from what i gather most tradies are subbies unfortunatly and need ABN and white card (got that bit sorted so far). :)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated on this matter.

Thankyou :cool:

Guest andymags

Hi eddy, i suppose its up to the individual really , my thoughts were get a job ,get there , suss it out , if i like it ,stick with it till something better comes along, who Knows whats round the corner eh !! im also a signwriter and muralist so ive got options, then again i may change careers totally after a couple of years, best of luck to you and your family with your move, i hope you make the right decision for you.

Cheers Andy

Guest Eddy Munsen

Yeah your right like Andy. Just wanna do as much prep as i can in advance. Its all about the ride i know :) Good luck with yours too.

• 2 weeks later...

Eddy, when you say your a time served decorator, does that mean you don't have paper qualifications? My OH is a decorator and we're planning a move in year's time. Don't need a visa but we didn't know if he needs to get some qualifications although he's been a decorator for 15 years. He would be happy as an employee rather than sub-contracting. I can't seem to find a lot of info on what he needs to do.

Guest Eddy Munsen

Hi there :), by time served i mean i am qualified with certificates, ie NVQ levels 2&3. From what i gather it depends on your visa too. I think some trades get skilled assessed to match aussie standards but if you have decent qualifications they can match up ok. I think he'll need a white card (online health & safety test), ABN, (australian business number, an equivalent to being allowed to work subbying) and a TFN (tax file number), this is what you ll apply for when your visa is granted. So TFI then ABN then white card. He can do the white card test so he's ready for work for when the visa comes through. The only wait from what i gather is from getting the ABN, i think it takes 28 days from applying.

Sounds alot but not really and the white card test is a doddle, just like an induction test for a site.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for posting the info Eddy, will be very helpful when I hopefully move to Geelong next year. I,m also time served, full indentured apprenticeship and got craft and advanced craft City & Guilds.

The subby thing suits me fine as had my own busines for 12 years and would prefer to do the same in Oz. Was thinking of trying to get on the new builds until I can build up a client base doing residential work.

Hope all goes well for you.

Dave

Hi

put me right if i am wrong , we were over there in march, P&D Myself,

opened up bank accounts while we were there ready for our return, was told by the english bank advisor there that the ABN number can be done online takes about 15 minutes was going to do it there and then but decided to do when we arrive for good

???????????????????????

Dave

• 5 months later...
Guest laura1106

Hi Eddy.

Are you settled in melbourne now? My husband and i are moving to melbourne. Im a nurse and he is a painter and decorator. We hope to go in August. DId you do your white card training online? If so what site. Did you manage to find work quite easily. We are just worried that he might not be able to find work once we are there. He will be travelling on my sponsorship visa.

Thanks

Laura

Hi there :), by time served i mean i am qualified with certificates, ie NVQ levels 2&3. From what i gather it depends on your visa too. I think some trades get skilled assessed to match aussie standards but if you have decent qualifications they can match up ok. I think he'll need a white card (online health & safety test), ABN, (australian business number, an equivalent to being allowed to work subbying) and a TFN (tax file number), this is what you ll apply for when your visa is granted. So TFI then ABN then white card. He can do the white card test so he's ready for work for when the visa comes through. The only wait from what i gather is from getting the ABN, i think it takes 28 days from applying.

Sounds alot but not really and the white card test is a doddle, just like an induction test for a site.

Hope this helps :)

what state are you heading to?

Oh and you'll need some public liability insurance to go with the rest of the stuff.

It usually cost around $500.

Archived