Australia world’s ‘dumb blonde’.

connaust

Australia world’s ‘dumb blonde’. AUSTRALIA is viewed as the ”dumb blonde” of the world, attractive but shallow and unintelligent, according to a visiting British branding expert…. Mr Anholt yesterday addressed a conference on international education in Sydney organised by IDP Education, the international student recruitment company half-owned by 38 Australian universities.

Probably true to some extent...but all these branding "experts" must find "problems" to justify their existence and huge fees.

It's also interesting that these consultants never talk about drawing on aboriginal culture - which is far older than european culture!

I was waiting for Aldo, Chris or Harpo to get hold of this one yesterday, but they have all fallen down in their duties ! There seem to be so many 'experts' telling people how to live these days. Mind you, having said that I think the Australian tourism people are just as bad, and haven 't got it right yet.

Guest guest36762
I was waiting for Aldo, Chris or Harpo to get hold of this one yesterday, but they have all fallen down in their duties ! There seem to be so many 'experts' telling people how to live these days. Mind you, having said that I think the Australian tourism people are just as bad, and haven 't got it right yet.

Sorry olly, missed this one. I agree that these branding guru's are overpayed charlatans. Anyone who knows anything about Australia wouldn't describe it as the 'dumb blonde' of the world. Surely a more accurate analogy would be the 'paul hogan' of the world....rough round the edges, rugged, lean (in terms of sustainability), sunburnt, windswept, thick but likeable, but not the sort of person you could easily spend your life with, on account of his flatulence (green house emissions), drinking habits (he's usually bloody parched mate), and tendancy to shout and thump his chest about how bloody brilliant he is.

Now can I have $500 million please?

Guest chris955

Its pretty hard to disagree with his findings really. Ask someone about Australia and they will tell you about the weather or kangaroos. I think that is why so many don't get on here. I totally agree about the stupid logos and slogans. We want more tourists to come to australia, I know Where the bloody he'll are you :laugh:

Sorry olly, missed this one. I agree that these branding guru's are overpayed charlatans. Anyone who knows anything about Australia wouldn't describe it as the 'dumb blonde' of the world. Surely a more accurate analogy would be the 'paul hogan' of the world....rough round the edges, rugged, lean (in terms of sustainability), sunburnt, windswept, thick but likeable, but not the sort of person you could easily spend your life with, on account of his flatulence (green house emissions), drinking habits (he's usually bloody parched mate), and tendancy to shout and thump his chest about how bloody brilliant he is.

You've got the job Harpo, that means travelling the world and leaving Geelong West, go on pack ya bags, off ya go:laugh:you'll miss that fabulous surf beach down there, but....

Its pretty hard to disagree with his findings really. Ask someone about Australia and they will tell you about the weather or kangaroos. I think that is why so many don't get on here. I totally agree about the stupid logos and slogans. We want more tourists to come to australia, I know Where the bloody he'll are you :laugh:

Yes and less of Lara Bungle, er Bangle, er:goofy:

I was sitting in a village in Scotland once minding my own business and this old codger who never left the village in his lifetime of 80 years asked me if we had grass in Australia. Now there's a good slogan "Come to Australia, we've got grass!":shocked:

Australia has so much that visitors love but it does not focus enough on its strengths. The exception was that "world's best job" campaign, which was excellent. Face it, if people want cafe culture and old cathedrals, they will go to Europe, no matter how much tourism chiefs try to convince the world that Australia is sophisticated that does not suit people's impressions of the country. Australia appeals to people who want something different.

I remember a few years back going into a parking lot in the US and every other car was a Subaru because of the immense success of having Paul Hogan as their spokesperson. People lap up that rugged Croc Dundee stuff. Look at the popularity of the late Steve Irwin.

Come on, surely if people can successfully sell destinations like Dubai, they can sell somewhere with the natural wonders of Australia. Sell nature, wilderness, beaches, aboriginal history, great outdoors, sport, barbies, cheeky, friendly locals. Hell, compared to what they're doing now, may as well run a series of ads stating exactly how far away it is from the in-laws.

Guest guest36762

sorry Olly, I forgot some of the most important aspects of the 'Paul Hogan' brand:

well past his best, largely ignored and completely irrelevant

Guest guest37336

I honestly think that Australia does at times completely miss the boat when it comes to selling itself.

There seems to a reluctance to show the more unique side of Australia. Beaches, rainforest, happy smiling surfers, blah, blah, blah, we all KNOW this side of Australia, to a greater or lesser degree anyway.

They seem to believe that by showing such factors they will be able to compete in the global tourist market place, where beaches etc, are seen as the most important aspect of any holiday.

I can think of dozens of aspects of Australia that should be shown much more, it may take several years for it too happen, but by showing the rather quirky nature and the more off beat sides of Australia it will eventually get the public imagination going.

Most countries that have to sell themselves nowadays rely on glorious beaches and constant sun. Australia 'could' be so different.

How about showing the tiny little villages that exist in many ares of OZ, the outback in all it's glory, bushcraft, the inland lakes full of wildlife, theaters, the 'unique' history of Australia, Burke and Wills, cage diving with sharks, the many islands that exist of it's coast, (not the barrier reef AGAIN), the unique wildlife, (not just crocs, birds etc,) the historic buildings (of which there are many), late night markets, the many mountain ranges that proliferate, the list is endless.

I admit that it may take some time to change the mindset of the general tourist, but Australia is way too often viewed as beaches, sun and BBQ's, it is far more diverse than this and should be shown as such.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest sh7t man no way

yup australians are not the sharpest tool in the box--but there real nice people--what you have to remember is there a young nation (in terms of evolution),and its unfair to judge them so harshly--maybe in 500 years time when they have evolved into a more mature europeon way of thinks--it will be dirrerent--shame on you for this report sir--you must give a child nation such as australia time to grow:no:tut tut i say

Guest Ken 642

Chris, I joined the forums to find someone who I know emigrated in 2008. I live in UK (Bath) and have failed to find anywhere on the web where I can complete a proper search. The couple I am looking for moved to Victoria and he enlisted in the Aussie Army. Any Ideas appreciated.

yup australians are not the sharpest tool in the box--but there real nice people--what you have to remember is there a young nation (in terms of evolution),and its unfair to judge them so harshly--maybe in 500 years time when they have evolved into a more mature europeon way of thinks--it will be dirrerent--shame on you for this report sir--you must give a child nation such as australia time to grow:no:tut tut i say

Sh7t man. a bit off topic but your avatar,.. is that morning glory? what does it symbolise?

i can get jellies (kamagra) at best prices,let me know :wink:

Okay, a little off topic, but Bobj started it! It all depends on what you define as 'intelligence' doesn't it? How many of us know people who are walking around with PhD's and the like, and they haven't got a stick of intelligence, they are only good at studying hard, applying themselves and gaining a piece of paper. When it comes to communicating, using influence "without authority", being a leader of people and innovative ideas, many of these people fall down flat. It is well documented that both EQ and IQ together are a better measure of a person's capabilities. In any case, in today's society it's also about how you apply knowledge and entrepreneurial skills to business and life in general. I know someone who loves to boast of her IQ, but in my opinion she has little else going for her, she is not liked by anyone and can rarely talk about anything other than the topics she knows about. Look at someone like Richard Branson and how he applies his 'intelligence'. I know who I'd rather have as a drinking companion.

Okay, a little off topic, but Bobj started it! It all depends on what you define as 'intelligence' doesn't it? How many of us know people who are walking around with PhD's and the like, and they haven't got a stick of intelligence, they are only good at studying hard, applying themselves and gaining a piece of paper. When it comes to communicating, using influence "without authority", being a leader of people and innovative ideas, many of these people fall down flat. It is well documented that both EQ and IQ together are a better measure of a person's capabilities. In any case, in today's society it's also about how you apply knowledge and entrepreunurial skills to business and life in general. I know someone who loves to boast of her IQ, but in my opinion she has little else going for her, she is not liked by anyone and can rarely talk about anything other than the topics she knows about. Look at someone like Richard Branson and how he applies his 'intelligence'. I know who I'd rather have as a drinking companion.

Is your friend good looking? :wink:

I was sitting in a village in Scotland once minding my own business and this old codger who never left the village in his lifetime of 80 years asked me if we had grass in Australia. Now there's a good slogan "Come to Australia, we've got grass!":shocked:

Likewise, I am from Scotland and am fair used to the comments re my accent etc, etc.....but this 'old codger' who has probably never left Australian shores asked me if we had electricity in Scotland !!!!!

Of course I had to reply.........nope, no electricity, no windows, no inside toilets.........why in the hell do you think I came here...................then I walked off !!!!:biglaugh:

Gill (still feeling the strain)

Likewise, I am from Scotland and am fair used to the comments re my accent etc, etc.....but this 'old codger' who has probably never left Australian shores asked me if we had electricity in Scotland !!!!!

Of course I had to reply.........nope, no electricity, no windows, no inside toilets.........why in the hell do you think I came here...................then I walked off !!!!:biglaugh:

Wasn't having a go at Scotland (my second home) by the way Gill just making a comment about the comment he made (and he told me he never left the village : "what for" got everything he needed) Yes plenty of Aussies in some places never left these shores either. About slogans: most of them don't work anyway people have to go to a place to look for themselves. Sorry you are struggling, the weather doesn't help either.

Why is it that the smart brunette always calls the blonde dumb, when the blonde is out having fun and not taking life to seriously. :jiggy:

Live and let live, each to their own :wubclub:

Most of it comes from a bottle these days anyway

Archived