Things you love about living in Australia/Perth

minnie659

Hi,

I woud love to move to Perth. I am currently finding out as much information as I can. My husband is a little dubious about the whole thing. However, he is prepared to look into the move. I am a 3rd year student nurse, looking to do a graduate programme with the hospital as newly qualified or apply after a years experience.

What do you love about living in Australia/Perth. I have read some threads where people do not like it and want to come back to the uk.

:cool:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ....." according to Dickens. It all depends on what you think is good. I love Perth. The thought of living in the UK makes me feel physically sick. My wife has threatened to divorce me if I ever contemplate moving there - and there is no chance of that in the forseeable future. Others will say the exact opposite. What is it you ask of life? Why, and what emotions go through your heart when you imagine living here?

Do you want an outdoors life? Appreciate 7 months of no rain? Find the thought of smelling the burned aroma of bush in the heat haze like an exotic scent to be savoured? Does the thought of a holiday in 4WD along the Gibb River Road make you itch to get the map out and start planning? Or do you like the idea of a typical suburban Perth lifestyle, BBQ with friends, beach on Christmas Day, Australia Day on the foreshore and cheering the Warriors to inevitable defeat against Victoria (or anyone else) at the WACA? Kings Park in the glory of spring? City Beach on a lazy afternoon with the surf up and the afternoon breeze kicking up the sand? Savouring Margaret River wines in an autumn holiday house in the SW? Children playing at one of the many large parks? Swan river boat trip to show guests the vineyards and sample the wares? Araluen and a picnic? The drudge of Health Department idiocies but with good mates as you watch the ambulances ramp? Northbridge before midnight and still with a few good mates? The glorious sunsets and feeling the evening hang heavy with scents from the warm bush? Winter sunrise over a cold lake, now full after the rains - or empty during the drought?

Or is marmite and a UK supermaket important to you? Will you miss friends more than you savour the call of adventure and forging a new life on the other side of the world? Is the next episode of the soap on TV something you cannot live without? Is snow - or the promise of snow - at Christmas something special for you? Does the crisp smell of an autumn day fill you with dlight as you wander in the lake district?

There is something for everyone here, but it is different. it is all good - or it is all bad - it depends on your own needs, thoughts desires. I would suggest you come and see, take a look, read as much as you can and - above all - communicate with those who matter in your life. What is it you want?

Yes, it is great here. Wherever "here" is.

It's hard to add anything else after that great post but as I'm sitting in KL airport eagerly awaiting my flight home to Perth after a two week trip to see family and friends in the UK. Well that fact I can't wait to get back is a good sign, I missed the cleanliness, the friendly smiling faces (not necesarily smiling at me just people enjoying their lives), the weather, the fresh air, the beach cafe's, less obsession with 'things'.

I did fully appreciate the architecture fully for the first time and of course the friends you known forever are very different from the people you first meet when you migrate, it takes time.

There is plenty good about Perth but that could also be said about the Uk. Migration is an emotional rollercoaster, people rarely regret it even if they do return to the UK but are you prepared for the ride? And is your partner, it rarely works if one person does it for the other and when it doesn't work out the relationship is often a casualty.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jules

i love that i can type on here and look out at the ocean at the same time , i like that my kids have had the oportunity to travel and live in asia and have open minds to lots of different cultures , i love that my son lives in the swan valley and used to ride his horse down to the ferrel brewery to have a drink pmsl [ dont think that would happen in the uk.

in fact my children have been exposed to all kinds of opportunities that they wouldnt have had in the uk where i was from .

i like that in the summer it can be hot but that i can be in the pool at midnight having a glass of wine chatting to my husband [ if hes still awake ]

i enjoy going to a concert in the grounds of kings park or a winery , actually i enjoy going to a winery full stop

i dont think much of the aussie sense of humour and my lot are all aussies , i think of them as a work in progress ,

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ....." according to Dickens. It all depends on what you think is good. I love Perth. The thought of living in the UK makes me feel physically sick. My wife has threatened to divorce me if I ever contemplate moving there - and there is no chance of that in the forseeable future. Others will say the exact opposite. What is it you ask of life? Why, and what emotions go through your heart when you imagine living here?

Do you want an outdoors life? Appreciate 7 months of no rain? Find the thought of smelling the burned aroma of bush in the heat haze like an exotic scent to be savoured? Does the thought of a holiday in 4WD along the Gibb River Road make you itch to get the map out and start planning? Or do you like the idea of a typical suburban Perth lifestyle, BBQ with friends, beach on Christmas Day, Australia Day on the foreshore and cheering the Warriors to inevitable defeat against Victoria (or anyone else) at the WACA? Kings Park in the glory of spring? City Beach on a lazy afternoon with the surf up and the afternoon breeze kicking up the sand? Savouring Margaret River wines in an autumn holiday house in the SW? Children playing at one of the many large parks? Swan river boat trip to show guests the vineyards and sample the wares? Araluen and a picnic? The drudge of Health Department idiocies but with good mates as you watch the ambulances ramp? Northbridge before midnight and still with a few good mates? The glorious sunsets and feeling the evening hang heavy with scents from the warm bush? Winter sunrise over a cold lake, now full after the rains - or empty during the drought?

Or is marmite and a UK supermaket important to you? Will you miss friends more than you savour the call of adventure and forging a new life on the other side of the world? Is the next episode of the soap on TV something you cannot live without? Is snow - or the promise of snow - at Christmas something special for you? Does the crisp smell of an autumn day fill you with dlight as you wander in the lake district?

There is something for everyone here, but it is different. it is all good - or it is all bad - it depends on your own needs, thoughts desires. I would suggest you come and see, take a look, read as much as you can and - above all - communicate with those who matter in your life. What is it you want?

Yes, it is great here. Wherever "here" is.

Excellent stuff, mate. Congrats! icon14.gif

Hi,

I woud love to move to Perth. I am currently finding out as much information as I can. My husband is a little dubious about the whole thing. However, he is prepared to look into the move. I am a 3rd year student nurse, looking to do a graduate programme with the hospital as newly qualified or apply after a years experience.

What do you love about living in Australia/Perth. I have read some threads where people do not like it and want to come back to the uk.

:cool:

There are plenty of threads on here about people moving back to the UK. Perth is not for everyone.

On a forum like this with threads dedicated to "moving back to the UK" you can read plenty of negative stuff.

Plenty of opportunity for nurses and probability of needing more as a new hospital is being built and another one of the big ones extended.

We've been here since 92, love it and couldn't think of living anywhere else. My wife had to go back to the UK recently and couldn't wait to get back here as it's now "home".

Best of luck. Have you thought about coming for a holiday? It's an expensive option but if you are planning a holiday anyway it's a great place to come, rather than go to somewhere in Europe.

I've commented in other threads about using google maps and streetview to check it out. It will give you some idea.

I agree with all the posts above .. Perth is very much our home now. Today we went into the city to do a bit of early christmas shopping, driving by the side of the river with the city ahead never fails to impress me and I think "I love it here" Perth is quiet by comparrison to other Aussie Cities but I have to say that's one of the things that appealed to us. It's a very laid back life style WA stands for Wait Awhile according to the locals - shops close early and we have no day light saving ... but I love it lol

There certainly sounds like there is loads to love about Australia. For me at the moment without seeing hopefully very soon I will. I love the idea of coming home with the kids chilling in the pool, being able to plan to go out for picnics at the park, lay by the beach or generally be able to see wonderful wildlife and have an active outside life. I suffer with asthma and I am sure I suffer with SAD. I do not like the winter weather, but love the beaches and love Cornwall, but the weather worries me, as I simply do not like winter.

I know its not always greener, but I have read what people dont like, but its always nice to hear what people like.

Thanks for your advice really nice to read.

Archived