Moving to Victoria? Join our state specific forum

Cerberus1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. Proberley a silly question but why a seperate forum for Victoria??

I don't know why there is a separate forum for Victoria.... but I see you live in Geelong, do you like it there? I was there in June and thought it was a lovely place - have relatives who live there as well.. Catherine

I don't know why there is a separate forum for Victoria.... but I see you live in Geelong, do you like it there? I was there in June and thought it was a lovely place - have relatives who live there as well.. Catherine

Hi. We live in Highton and have lived here for almost a year. We like it, we are right on the river, 5mins to Geelong, 15mins to Torquay (our favourite beach) and only 1 hr from Melbourne pretty central.

Hi. We live in Highton and have lived here for almost a year. We like it, we are right on the river, 5mins to Geelong, 15mins to Torquay (our favourite beach) and only 1 hr from Melbourne pretty central.

Sounds lovely... When we were there in June the weather wasn't great.. but I am looking forward to going back for good within the next few months.. I am glad you are happy there.. Its reassuring. Catherine

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi. Proberley a silly question but why a seperate forum for Victoria??

Because we are special down here:notworthy:

No seriously we have a

Brits in Brisbane - BritsinBrisbane: Queensland Australia Migration & Expat Forum

Perth Poms - PerthPoms: Western Australia Migration & Expat Forum

Poms in Adelaide - PomsInAdelaide: South Australia Migration & Expat Forum

So after numerous requests admin added a Victoria forum http://www.lifeinvictoria.com:jiggy:

• 2 weeks later...

It is good having a separate forum for the States as posts tend to get lost quite quickly on the main forum. This way people will find it easier to get back to their questions and find information.

So Victorians and Victorians to be give us your pearls of wisdom.:wubclub:

it's also a great way to get to know the people who live nearer to you. Aus is such a massive place. Everything on here is extremely relevant - events, jobs etc. I'm loving it! I'll be joining today.

Jenny

• 1 month later...
Guest VickyMel

Wow - I'm very slow I have only just found this post - and the Victoria forum - going to register now.

Only reason that I found it was because I had not seen NigelInOz post for ages and was wondering - now I see he has a new username - but thats what led me to this thread.

Thought the image ID wanted me to type arsehole person for a while :wacko: ! Maybe Cerburus was trying to keep me out

VickyMel

A bit of a learning curve at the moment Tony, but I'll get the hang of it. Thought I better try and get things working with the default template first, before attempting anything customised.

Not working again tonight- skitters all over the place and the new thread button won't work for me. I'll give it a couple of weeks to settle I think. Also- trying to tell people about WOMOW and it wouldn't print website

WOMOW - Word Of Mouth On the Web

• 3 months later...

Can anyone living in Victoria help please......we are heading over August to December this 2011, and are checking out Geelong to settle. I'm a nurse so am starting to look at jobs etc, but need to get my hands on what i'd call, an old fashioned map. One of current day Victoria, big one i can open up on floor and map out hospitals, measure communting distances, and do a search area for rentals, buying houses etc. If anyones in Victoria and would be prepared to get us one, would be happy to do bank transfer to pay for it, as just can't find anything suitable on intenet. Can find pages with sections of Victoris mapped out, but don't want lots of small maps stuck together that don't all line up.

Eould be very grateful.

Also....any advice on Geelong, Weribee, Ballarat, or any where else reommended.....have mix of me and hubby, two older teenage daughters, and two little ones, so looking for something for all of us in afordable area, with Uni's etc.

All advice gratefully received

Tania & David

Because Melbourne is such a huge area I do not believe a large map would help you. Its over hundred kilometres from where I live to the airport for instance.

So if you worked at Frankston Hospital you would not be living in Geelong or the western suburbs like Point Cook, unless you wanted to spend a lot of time and money commuting.

Monash Medical Centre is in Clayton, The Alfred is in Prahran, Royal Melbourne in North Melbourne, Childrens in North Melbourne, Repat is in Heidelberg near Latrobe University.

Geelong has a hospital as Geelong is a city itself and my friend's son spent time there whilst training and he says its a good place to work.

You can look at the Metlink Site Home - Metlink - Your guide to public transport in Melbourne and Victoria this give all the transport in Melbourne and follow the routes out and check them out on realestate.com.au.

It comes down to hills, flat lands, beach really so once you decide where you would like to be easier to find areas.

The universities are all over the place and Deacon has a Geelong Campus but of course each university has different courses.

Ballarat is a regional town cold in winter and up in the western hills old mining area, large place has a university.

Bendigo is the regional town I prefer as both my children lived there doing post grad and they both loved it.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alison and Simon

Hi

I have been in bendigo now for 6 months and love it. We came from Wigan so prospect of living in city was a daunitng, could only manage a day in manchester before!!!! :biglaugh: Bendigo has nice schools, the CBD has everything you need and Melbourne is just a few hours away for shopping and tourist things. That aside, we have been into melbourne only once as victoria has LOTS to do.

Ballarat is nice to visit but for us has even less than bendigo. That aside it has excellent reputation for education and is a close knit community.

I agree being here, a map would not really be helpful. Decide what you want from your lifestyle first. What do the kids enjoy. then look either rural or city living. Cant give you any advice about melbourne though!

It really does depend on what you want ! Within 10 minutes of bendigo it is rural and although there is lots of house building around and about you can still get your getaway very reasonably. There is also a new hospital being built here and having been a patient in one of the hospitals already, i did notice that the registered nurses were NURSES! They seem much more relaxed and able to do their jobs, tey had housekeepers and cleaners that did just that. Communication was much better as they had a smaller patient caseload and this was a public hospital.

All I can say is it is like working back in the early 90's as a nurse for me..only downside is you have to change your attitude and expectations, having crickets, locusts and the odd cockroach around the ward is expected. Especially when there are hundreds outside.!

Daughter is 15 and she attends bendigo senior secondary and she loves it there. She did struggle at school, and was stressed but not here - she does equine studies twice a week as a lesson and loves it. I thnk it prepares the kids better for uni as they are treated like adults.

As we have PR visa, the education is free, i do know from friends though that uni can be expensive anyway.

I have friends in geelong thst love it there. They are coastal ppl though and love the beach. (Nurses)

If you want rural though then bendigo is worth a look. If you want the rush of a city then maybe not. People do expect to travel here.

If you do chose a more rural setting, then just makesure you check how it faired in the recent floods!

Hope it makes sense. I love it here and cant believe how quick my daughter settled considering how distraught she was! If I can helo further then no worries:biglaugh:

Alison:err:

• 2 months later...
Guest jeza

Thanks Alison, that was a really interesting read! Great to hear about the areas on the outer skirts of Melbourne....gives us all more options of places to liv or visit. Jenny

• 3 months later...
Guest Noorhanna

Hi All, I am Hanna. My family and I are thinking of moving to Melbourne. Anyone moved there from the UK who can tell me more about living in Melbourne? My husband is a Doctor and heard there are good opportunities for dr there. How true is this and as I have children, like to know more about things to do with the kids, schools, are the state schools as good as UK or better in the good areas or best go with Private?

Love to make some friends there before moving. So please write back.

Thanx

Hanna

We are really short of doctors in certain parts of Melbourne- especially Eastern suburbs so it is great your husband wants to work here. As you have probably heard, Melbourne is huge and varies a lot, very sprawly. Most state primary schools are absolutely fine but not the case with all the secondary colleges- some good, some not so good. A lot depends where you live- the more 'middle class' suburbs are like the UK, they have better equipped schools. Private schools also vary- the more expensive ones tend to be very competitive and almost guarantee that their pupils get into uni. There are a lot of very, very good private schools in the Inner Eastern suburbs but they are not cheap.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest AlesianLeighValentine

I am currently a serving Police officer in the UK, how do you gain PR without having a sponsorship? as police officer is not listed in the skills list???

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 months later...

I have started a group in Life in Victoria forum for people to join and hopefully meet up with other new arrivals and people already here. Threads requesting contact often get lost in the forums so thought this might help, the link is at the foot of this forum to Life in Victoria.

• 2 months later...