Will it be enough in Sydney?

Phil & Vikki

Due to our circumstances changing, we have had to change our plans and it looks like we will be moving to Sydney now rather than Perth. Mainly because there seems to be more work and opportunities in Sydney.

I (Phil) am currently looking for employment in a senior testing role within a salary around anywhere between $90,000 to $105,000. I would be looking to secure a position, rent a house and have enough money coming in (be he main bread winner) to allow my wife to stay at home a bit until she also can secure work.

Would this be enough money to support a family of for (2 adults and 2 children) for a bit? Not living right in Sydney, but a suburb outside to cut rental costs down?

We manage on hubbys salary (I am a stay at home mum, two small children not yet in school) on less than that ($69k) but, we had a big deposit for a house (over 50%) and have some savings left over just in case we need them. To be honest, I think you would be fine, but it does totally depend on the lifestyle that you want to live. For us it is fine, but we are the sort that look after money anyway.

Thanks for that. We are like you look after the money and if we have not got it we do not have it. Lol no credit cards here either. It is good to know that you guys can make it do and we were just wondering in terms of living costs and things like that. For the first few months it will have to be renting and then see how we go.:biggrin:

Sydney is really expensive at the moment - costs of things like groceries will astound you compared to the UK. If you are commutable distance to the CBD, you will still find rental properties expensive and there is high demand. Take a look on www.domain.com.au this will help you have an idea of what you can get for your money. Good luck!

Due to our circumstances changing, we have had to change our plans and it looks like we will be moving to Sydney now rather than Perth. Mainly because there seems to be more work and opportunities in Sydney.

I (Phil) am currently looking for employment in a senior testing role within a salary around anywhere between $90,000 to $105,000. I would be looking to secure a position, rent a house and have enough money coming in (be he main bread winner) to allow my wife to stay at home a bit until she also can secure work.

Would this be enough money to support a family of for (2 adults and 2 children) for a bit? Not living right in Sydney, but a suburb outside to cut rental costs down?

Yes - it would be enough if you can live frugally. What visa are you on and are your kids at school?

You don't mention if the figures include super, but if we assume he'll be paid super on top of this (best case) take home pay would be about $1,250 to $1,450 pw. Almost everything seems expensive in Sydney but accommodation/rent is the big one, a rule of thumb is to spend a third of your income on rent so you'd be looking at $400 odd pw. Take a look at domain.com.au to see what's available for that.

• 4 weeks later...

The salary has been pushed up as it did include super. Our boy is at school and our little girl is at nursery at the moment. Thanks for the link we sure will have a look at it and see what we can get for our dollar. We are hoping that Vikki will soon have a job too so that things will not be so tight. Any ideas on good areas to look at and ones to stay away from?

You didnt answer the question about the visa - if you are coming on a 457 then you will need to factor in $4.5k pa per child for education which could put a dent in your income.

It will be do-able - consider that the average wage is $63k pa - but it may not be terribly comfortable unless you have a huge slush fund to cover the gaps.

Hi there

We have just moved over with our two children. My husband is on 100k pa and I was hoping not to work until my youngest started school in a few years time. Unfortunately we have found that we are really struggling with the cost of living over here. We are renting a small single storey house - nothing fancy but it still costs half of my husbands take home pay. We are living 30-40 mins north of the city on a good run and it was one of the best / cheapest rentals we could find. Groceries are really expensive and, although we are making ends meet, its a real struggle and there is nothing left over for treats, presents or even beer at the end of the week. Its too close to the wire for us and so I'm starting work next week. Sorry to be doom and gloom but the price of everything over here really shocked us. We don't have any savings though and maybe if we did, the cost of living wouldn't feel so scary or feel as though we had to live within such a tight budget all of the time. As it is though, its a little grim at the moment...

From what we can remember without looking at the paperwork (which we do not have here) we think it is a 138 visa. We have had a look on the net and it says that we get medicare with that visa, not too sure about the schooling costs though. That will be one to check out tonight. We are also hoping that it will be enought for a bit until Vikki can get work too.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there

We have just moved over with our two children. My husband is on 100k pa and I was hoping not to work until my youngest started school in a few years time. Unfortunately we have found that we are really struggling with the cost of living over here. We are renting a small single storey house - nothing fancy but it still costs half of my husbands take home pay. We are living 30-40 mins north of the city on a good run and it was one of the best / cheapest rentals we could find. Groceries are really expensive and, although we are making ends meet, its a real struggle and there is nothing left over for treats, presents or even beer at the end of the week. Its too close to the wire for us and so I'm starting work next week. Sorry to be doom and gloom but the price of everything over here really shocked us. We don't have any savings though and maybe if we did, the cost of living wouldn't feel so scary or feel as though we had to live within such a tight budget all of the time. As it is though, its a little grim at the moment...

I fully understand, its one thing to be told how expensive Sydney is but quite another to experience it. I see posts of people living in Sydney on $65k and think "how do they manage", my rent alone is more than that.

I rule of thumb I heard is spend no more than 30% of your income on rent, on average incomes that doesn't buy much in Sydney.

You don't mention if the figures include super, but if we assume he'll be paid super on top of this (best case) take home pay would be about $1,250 to $1,450 pw. Almost everything seems expensive in Sydney but accommodation/rent is the big one, a rule of thumb is to spend a third of your income on rent so you'd be looking at $400 odd pw. Take a look at domain.com.au to see what's available for that.

$400pw in Sydney.....where are these properties??? LOL! Most places I have seen are $550-$700...but then we are looking for a garden so most are houses.

In your opinion is domain.com.au better than realestate.com.au?

$400pw in Sydney.....where are these properties??? LOL! Most places I have seen are $550-$700...but then we are looking for a garden so most are houses.

In your opinion is domain.com.au better than realestate.com.au?

Just to be clear, what I was saying was 30% of the posters income would equate to $400 pw rent, good luck finding a house of any kind within commuting distance of the CBD for that.

I'm fully aware of the cost of renting in Sydney, I've seen crapholes for $900 pw.

Just to be clear, what I was saying was 30% of the posters income would equate to $400 pw rent, good luck finding a house of any kind within commuting distance of the CBD for that.

I'm fully aware of the cost of renting in Sydney, I've seen crapholes for $900 pw.

Ha, I thought I missed some secret cheap suburb! :o)

Yeah our max budget is $700pw and we have dogs so we aren't expecting the ritz!!

Guest iwazawhingingpom
Hi there

have you thought about moving to the central coast?

Cheaper homes with gardens and good commute on train to CBD.

Try getting to Paddy's markets at Flemington Sydney for cheap fresh fruit & veg or other nearer markets as will be much cheaper than Supermarket, same with meat, if you ask around there are places you can buy big trays of mixed meat for cheaper that can be stored in freezer..Same with perscriptions, shop around as in our local Mall 3 chemists prices were so different that we saved $12 on a script we get monthly! Just take script in and ask how much for generic brand.

Australia is expensive Sydney prices ridiculous! We have struggled so know what your going through..

Hope all works out

:hug: Deb

Try getting to Paddy's markets at Flemington Sydney for cheap fresh fruit & veg or other nearer markets as will be much cheaper than Supermarket, same with meat, if you ask around there are places you can buy big trays of mixed meat for cheaper that can be stored in freezer..Same with perscriptions, shop around as in our local Mall 3 chemists prices were so different that we saved $12 on a script we get monthly! Just take script in and ask how much for generic brand.

Australia is expensive Sydney prices ridiculous! We have struggled so know what your going through..

Hope all works out

Hi Deb, that is cool, I think that is the kind of place that we will have to start looking at to get some good deals and bargins. We may be tapping you a bit more for some cheap places to get things from when we get over in Feb.

Hope all works out

I love the sound of that, but can you give an example of 'good commute to the CBD' from the central coast? I always thought it was too far!

Guest iwazawhingingpom
I love the sound of that, but can you give an example of 'good commute to the CBD' from the central coast? I always thought it was too far!

Gosford to Town Hall - 1hr 30 min, lots of people take a pillow and catch up on some shut eye or relax and read the paper.

We know someone who lives in Newcastle and commutes daily to Sydney !!

For a cheaper cost of living with a bigger size home and garden for the kids and the train fare a week at $56 is i think a bargain - cheaper than petrol and traffic jam headaches.

:biggrin: Deb :chatterbox:

Guest iwazawhingingpom
Hi Deb, that is cool, I think that is the kind of place that we will have to start looking at to get some good deals and bargins. We may be tapping you a bit more for some cheap places to get things from when we get over in Feb.

No problem :biggrin: Any help i can give i will.... just give me a shout.

Deb

i have just come back from a short visit to sydney due to an offer that my OH was given. To put it mildly we are no better off than what we were before we left (apart from £3k) for plane costs. A salary was never set in stone & when $50-$60k was confirmed I practically laughed in the guys face. I can tell you that the cost of living in Oz in extremely high. The experience was fantastic but I wish I had taken my other two children with me - I took my youngest daughter @ 3 yrs old.

Now I know I would prob have to work to make ends meet. But even with a salary of say £40K for an office job per year we would still struggle.

We would have to pay $4500 x 2 for my two daughters who are at school. I managed to see a few 'dumps' where rent was from $500 - $630 per week. I know realise that we would have to budget for $700 per week for anything livable with 3 bedrooms.

Needless to say with two good jobs here in N Ireland and living comfortably here - its back to the drawing board for another while for my OH & me.

Jo

Archived