Will it be enough in Sydney?

Phil & Vikki

Sorry to hear that Jo, but hope that you had a good one. We have secured the salary and hopefully Vik will be getting a job also soon, so that we can double the money coming in.

We have got to sort out accommodation, but hope to do soon. We are on a 138 visa so hopefully, we have heard that we do not have to pay for school.

Guest Toorak Trev
Due to our circumstances changing, we have had to change our plans and it looks like we will be moving to Sydney now rather than Perth. Mainly because there seems to be more work and opportunities in Sydney.

I (Phil) am currently looking for employment in a senior testing role within a salary around anywhere between $90,000 to $105,000. I would be looking to secure a position, rent a house and have enough money coming in (be he main bread winner) to allow my wife to stay at home a bit until she also can secure work.

Would this be enough money to support a family of for (2 adults and 2 children) for a bit? Not living right in Sydney, but a suburb outside to cut rental costs down?

Phil

Bear in mind that if you do have a breadth of experience and a good skill level you will progress upwards in income.

If you expand on your experience slightly maybe some PIO members might know of someone or something?

Gosford to Town Hall - 1hr 30 min, lots of people take a pillow and catch up on some shut eye or relax and read the paper.

We know someone who lives in Newcastle and commutes daily to Sydney !!

For a cheaper cost of living with a bigger size home and garden for the kids and the train fare a week at $56 is i think a bargain - cheaper than petrol and traffic jam headaches.

:biggrin: Deb :chatterbox:

We visited the other week and I wondered whether the commute was feasible. But to be honest I am not sure I want such a long train journey and they didn't seem very regular either. Have you actually done the commute on a regular basis?

Yes the 138 visa is the old name for the 175/6. It is permanent so no school fees.

That is great news. Do you know how it works with the medicare? I have heard that my employer will take out 1 or 1.5% of my salary for medicare contributions. Do you know if this covers the whole of the family or just the person salary the contribution is coming out of? We are hoping that it will cover the whole of the family.

That is great news. Do you know how it works with the medicare? I have heard that my employer will take out 1 or 1.5% of my salary for medicare contributions. Do you know if this covers the whole of the family or just the person salary the contribution is coming out of? We are hoping that it will cover the whole of the family.

Medicare levy is only payable if you don't have private health insurance and earn over (I think $75k). Medicare is free for all permanent residents and is the Aussie equivalent of the NHS (although works slightly differently.

Just to add my 2c:

I'm on a 457 visa and I come from a non-reciprocal country (which means no medicare entitlements and necessary private insurance). I'm a single mum so I work full time (which means 5 days per week daycare fees).

I live in the Inner West (quite close to the CBD in Sydney) and I earn $55k + super...

I manage... sometimes it is tight but it is definitely do-able!

• 2 months later...

I read this thread with interest as we hope to move to Sydney at some point this year. The salary OH is looking at is around the same as yours with the difference being there is just 2 of us at the moment. I will of course get a job too, but it is on the back of his job we hope to get a 457 visa.

I have looked at house prices - renting and buying on the North Shores and I was starting to get worried about whether we are going to cope.. especially as I want a house with a garden and relatively closeish the the shore (river or sea). Then all the talk of how expensive everything is...food, furniture (we are not shipping our stuff).

Please post an update once you are settled to let us all know how you are getting on and your experiences.

I read this thread with interest as we hope to move to Sydney at some point this year. The salary OH is looking at is around the same as yours with the difference being there is just 2 of us at the moment. I will of course get a job too, but it is on the back of his job we hope to get a 457 visa.

I have looked at house prices - renting and buying on the North Shores and I was starting to get worried about whether we are going to cope.. especially as I want a house with a garden and relatively closeish the the shore (river or sea). Then all the talk of how expensive everything is...food, furniture (we are not shipping our stuff).

Please post an update once you are settled to let us all know how you are getting on and your experiences.

You're asking for a lot there, fine if you're on a big income but the house you describe would be $1,000+ a week (maybe ++) to rent or $1M+ (+++?) to buy on the north shore near the beach. As an example we're renting a new apartment which cost over $1M to buy, and its not huge, the best apartments in the building where $2.5M-4M.

Look on domain.com.au, if there aren't many pictures don't assume its nice, we saw some absolute holes on the North Shore for around $1,000 per week, if you're going to be working to the CBD closeness to transport, especially train, is key. Don't even think about driving into the CBD, tolls and traffic are unreal.

We've been in Sydney nearly a year and its a lovely city but for the above reasons I would like to be elsewhere in Aus.

I would suggest you start looking at the Upper North Shore near the trainline. You'll get a house but not near the shore.

Another thought would be to get an apartment closer to town and enjoy the delights of the city, rather than the suburbs, for a while. Just a thought.

Cheers and good luck!

I would suggest you start looking at the Upper North Shore near the trainline. You'll get a house but not near the shore.

Another thought would be to get an apartment closer to town and enjoy the delights of the city, rather than the suburbs, for a while. Just a thought.

Cheers and good luck!

Thank you. Yes I've been looking around the Dee Why/Colleroy area and then going inland from there. We are budgeting around $600-$750 per week which is just under a 3rd of OH's take home monthly salary, so fingers crossed we shouldn't over extend ourselves... then of course I can get a job too to bump it up a bit as we have no kids yet.

I think though for the initial 6 months we are going to look at getting an apartment probably Neutral Bay/Mosman area then use the time to get a feel for the place and explore south of the city too such as Double Bay/Coogee as not much is said about it on these forums...

Thank you. Yes I've been looking around the Dee Why/Colleroy area and then going inland from there. We are budgeting around $600-$750 per week which is just under a 3rd of OH's take home monthly salary, so fingers crossed we shouldn't over extend ourselves... then of course I can get a job too to bump it up a bit as we have no kids yet.

I think though for the initial 6 months we are going to look at getting an apartment probably Neutral Bay/Mosman area then use the time to get a feel for the place and explore south of the city too such as Double Bay/Coogee as not much is said about it on these forums...

Good thinking. I would go for Neutral Bay rather than Mosman to avoid the Military Road commute but that depends on where OH's work is. I am also biased having spent a very enjoyable year in Neutral Bay. But that is all fine detail...

Yes both Neutral Bay and Mosman are beautiful and expensive, these are the places we currently know as we spent time there a few years ago. So trying to keep as much familiarity as possible to the move.

I think OH is wanting to start off in Neutral Bay as his work will probably be in the CBD so it will be a ferry to work each day for him and his rose tinted glasses :biggrin:

Archived