AS Exams

lynn2009

We should be arriving in Australia (Brisbane) the early part of next year. Our son is just about to start is first year of A levels. So he would sit first year AS level exams in May/June 2011. If we wait for these exams to be sat, I think I have read on another thread these first exams could be enough to gain entry to uni in Australia. If not I have been in contact with the school our children will go to and they said he could start year 11 half way through. Any thoughts on the above would be great.

Thanks Lynn

We should be arriving in Australia (Brisbane) the early part of next year. Our son is just about to start is first year of A levels. So he would sit first year AS level exams in May/June 2011. If we wait for these exams to be sat, I think I have read on another thread these first exams could be enough to gain entry to uni in Australia. If not I have been in contact with the school our children will go to and they said he could start year 11 half way through. Any thoughts on the above would be great.

Thanks Lynn

Hi,

We arrived in NSW 1st July just after our eldest completed her GCSE's they have put her in 10 to start yr 11 in Jan/FEb 2011 to start work for HSC. I couldn't comment on the A's level being enough for uni but sounds right re going into yr 11 here. When we receive her results the school said they will convert them for her school cert.

sorry i know not alot of help

Tracey

Not likely that he will get a place in a good uni to do what he wants with just AS levels although they do count a bit towards a uni entry score. Far better to let him finish his A levels and they will travel very well - probably need lower grades for equivalent courses here.

Should be fine to do Queensland qualifications OP if he arrives mid way through Year 11, if you know where you are headed start speaking to schools now. My daughter is going into year 11 next year and she has already made subject choices. If he knows what he wants to do at uni you should speak to school to get guidance on subject choices, otherwise there is a mix of subjects that they can do that should get entry to any course I doubt AS will get him in to many uni courses. Also be aware that in Queensland there are a number of schools both state and private that offer the IB, some IB subjects gain credits off uni course modules and therefore save money on uni fees.

Hi,

We arrived in NSW 1st July just after our eldest completed her GCSE's they have put her in 10 to start yr 11 in Jan/FEb 2011 to start work for HSC. I couldn't comment on the A's level being enough for uni but sounds right re going into yr 11 here. When we receive her results the school said they will convert them for her school cert.

sorry i know not alot of help

Tracey

Hi Tracey

Thanks for the information. I hope your eldest is enjoying school. Is he/she finding the work ok at school after doing GCSE's in the UK.

Cheers

Lynn:biggrin:

Not likely that he will get a place in a good uni to do what he wants with just AS levels although they do count a bit towards a uni entry score. Far better to let him finish his A levels and they will travel very well - probably need lower grades for equivalent courses here.

Hi Quoll

So he should stay in UK to do A levels or be there in time to start year 11.

Thanks

Should be fine to do Queensland qualifications OP if he arrives mid way through Year 11, if you know where you are headed start speaking to schools now. My daughter is going into year 11 next year and she has already made subject choices. If he knows what he wants to do at uni you should speak to school to get guidance on subject choices, otherwise there is a mix of subjects that they can do that should get entry to any course I doubt AS will get him in to many uni courses. Also be aware that in Queensland there are a number of schools both state and private that offer the IB, some IB subjects gain credits off uni course modules and therefore save money on uni fees.

Thanks for you reply I will look into IB.

Cheers

Lynn

AS level is not enough to get on to a degree course - daughter needed A level results B B C to get into Melbourne Uni. But get on to the individual uni sites for more detail.

Thanks for your reply, son is uni web sites now seeing what is required.

Thanks

Hi Quoll

So he should stay in UK to do A levels or be there in time to start year 11.

Thanks

If he stays to do A levels, he has one more year of school education. If he comes for the beginning of year 11 then he will have two more years.

If he is already 17 or about to turn 17 then he will be out of synch with his Aus cohort by up to 2 years.

If he gets A levels, he will probably find the grades required to get into equivalent courses here will be quite a bit lower than he would need for UK entry.

If he were my son, I would be encouraging him to complete school education in UK and then consider his university options - that would then be very much up to him. If he comes here and does 11/12 he will effectively be consigning himself to an Aus university (Yr12 scores dont travel as well back to UK and he could be up for a foundation year and all on international student fees) whereas if he completes in UK he keeps all his options open.

Hi Lyn

This link to UQ will give you an idea of how UK qualifications translatehttp://www.uq.edu.au/international/docs/entry-guide.htm clearly each uni will be different.I did a little research on Aus qualifications into UK and Aus qualifications accepted for many courses but might not be easy for something like medicine.

Sam

If he stays to do A levels, he has one more year of school education. If he comes for the beginning of year 11 then he will have two more years.

If he is already 17 or about to turn 17 then he will be out of synch with his Aus cohort by up to 2 years.

If he gets A levels, he will probably find the grades required to get into equivalent courses here will be quite a bit lower than he would need for UK entry.

If he were my son, I would be encouraging him to complete school education in UK and then consider his university options - that would then be very much up to him. If he comes here and does 11/12 he will effectively be consigning himself to an Aus university (Yr12 scores dont travel as well back to UK and he could be up for a foundation year and all on international student fees) whereas if he completes in UK he keeps all his options open.

Hi Quoll

Thanks again for your reply. I feel we need to have another re-think to see what our son feels he would like to do.

Thanks

Hi Lyn

This link to UQ will give you an idea of how UK qualifications translatehttp://www.uq.edu.au/international/docs/entry-guide.htm clearly each uni will be different.I did a little research on Aus qualifications into UK and Aus qualifications accepted for many courses but might not be easy for something like medicine.

Sam

Hi Sam

Thanks my son said he will take a look.

Cheers

Thanks for you reply I will look into IB.

Cheers

Lynn

Before you op for IB in the UK just check that there will be schools in the area you are heading to that do it. Here in Victoria, only a few private schools do IB, and they tend to be expensive ones. As far as AS levels go, these on their own won't be enough to get you into any good Uni courses, although you probably could get into TAFE with those. You basically have two choices, stay in the uk until the A levels are finished, are you prepared to do that? or come sooner and do the two years of the equivalent HSC here. Either way your son will get the necessary qualification to get to uni here. If he's not intending on going back to study in the UK taking the HSC here is fine. We have 3 sons, the eldest came with A levels and went straight to Uni here, the second, came after GCSE and did the VCE here in VIC, he loved it, said it was the best 2 years schooling of his life, got an excellent ENTER score for Uni and is now studying a double degree in Melbourne. The youngest jumped a year when we arrived and is now 17 and completeing his VCE ready for Uni next year.

It won't really matter what you decide, do whats best for you and your family. One thing we considered though was if we waited and one of our sons got a steady girlfriend then they may not have wanted to come. As it happens, they all came and all love it here, none would consider returning to the UK now.

Before you op for IB in the UK just check that there will be schools in the area you are heading to that do it. Here in Victoria, only a few private schools do IB, and they tend to be expensive ones. As far as AS levels go, these on their own won't be enough to get you into any good Uni courses, although you probably could get into TAFE with those. You basically have two choices, stay in the uk until the A levels are finished, are you prepared to do that? or come sooner and do the two years of the equivalent HSC here. Either way your son will get the necessary qualification to get to uni here. If he's not intending on going back to study in the UK taking the HSC here is fine. We have 3 sons, the eldest came with A levels and went straight to Uni here, the second, came after GCSE and did the VCE here in VIC, he loved it, said it was the best 2 years schooling of his life, got an excellent ENTER score for Uni and is now studying a double degree in Melbourne. The youngest jumped a year when we arrived and is now 17 and completeing his VCE ready for Uni next year.

It won't really matter what you decide, do whats best for you and your family. One thing we considered though was if we waited and one of our sons got a steady girlfriend then they may not have wanted to come. As it happens, they all came and all love it here, none would consider returning to the UK now.

Hi thanks for your reply, lots to consider about next step for our sons education. I have said to my husband the last thing we need now is a girlfriend to appear on the scene.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
AS level is not enough to get on to a degree course - daughter needed A level results B B C to get into Melbourne Uni. But get on to the individual uni sites for more detail.

Cob,

Thank you very much for that info.,

We have actually split the family up for 18 months to allow our son to complete A levels in May/June 2011. His AS levels were BBC and E which he will drop.

There is a good chance that he will therefore get BBC and perhaps better if he he stops looking at GURLS.

If it is not being too intrusive would you mind telling me what your daughter ended up studying at Melbourne.

For any other reader, my advice is to listen to Quoll, I don't know who she/he is but the good sense just demands to be followed.

A very celibate Mamba:sad:

Cob,

Thank you very much for that info.,

We have actually split the family up for 18 months to allow our son to complete A levels in May/June 2011. His AS levels were BBC and E which he will drop.

There is a good chance that he will therefore get BBC and perhaps better if he he stops looking at GURLS.

If it is not being too intrusive would you mind telling me what your daughter ended up studying at Melbourne.

For any other reader, my advice is to listen to Quoll, I don't know who she/he is but the good sense just demands to be followed.

A very celibate Mamba:sad:

She is studying for a bachelor of environments - this is a 'melbourne model' degree, relatively new. she is majoring in architecture, but it allows her to follow a path in urban planning, landscape architecture too.

She had to apply as an international student as we originally came out on a temporary visa and used a company called Study Options: Official representatives for Universities in Australia & New Zealand

Hope this helps

cath

Archived