Move Back?

Guest York91

Guest York91

I have a dilema...

I moved to Perth in 2007 with my family, as my dad is carpenter and moved here on his PR visa. We lived here for 2 and a half years before moving back to England January just gone.... I loved it in England, even though the place has definately gone downhill after the recession, and we couldn't have got a more harsh Winter!! But it just felt like home and I enjoyed every moment of being back....

Then me and my family have just moved back in June this year, and I can't stand living here...I just want to go back...I have a job with good pay, but thats not everything...It's not the same here as it used to be, and I know my heart is in England.

Should I make the move back to england where I am happy or stay here with my parents?

Would love some advice!!

:confused:

Guest The Pom Queen

Oh dear sorry to hear this. I am not sure how old you are but you have to live your life and be happy and I am sure your parents would understand if your happiness means moving back to the UK.

Good luck with what you decide, who knows you may still end up back in Oz one day, it may even be worth trying to hold out for citizenship.

Guest York91
Oh dear sorry to hear this. I am not sure how old you are but you have to live your life and be happy and I am sure your parents would understand if your happiness means moving back to the UK.

Good luck with what you decide, who knows you may still end up back in Oz one day, it may even be worth trying to hold out for citizenship.

I am 19. But really just can't settle :(

Have about a year and a half left until we get citizenship but really not happy being here :(

Would a relative be able to put you up and help out if you went back to the UK, i am sure your parents would understand your reasons and they would probably feel more at ease if you had someone they trusted there to 'look after you''.

Good Luck with whatever you decide ,you know what makes you happy, so do it and if in a year you change your mind again i am sure your parents would love to have you back.

Cal x

I always say that you have to do what makes YOU happy at the end of the day.

I agree with Chris you need to do what makes you happy, but you also need to make sure that you'll be able to support yourself. I know 18 months is a long time away, but obtaining citizenship would mean that you would be able to come and go as you please, and provide you with options when you have a family of your own.

I can actually sympathize in what you are going through, even though I am almost 45. My parents moved from the UK to Canada when I was almost 16, and I absolutly hated Canada for the first 4 years I was there. I was the first in my family to obtain Canadian Citizenship, so like Ali said I had options... I desperatly wanted to move back to the UK, but in the end never did. I spent 27 years in Canada, and am very proud to call myself Canadian. I now think of the UK as somewhere I was born, but as I spent the majority of my adult life in Canada I consider myself Canadian.

My daughter who is 16 (almost 17) is going through the same thing as you. We have been here almost 2 years, and she just can't settle. She is very homesick. She has been very down, and infact I have got her to see the school pyschologist.

I think if you can stick it out until you get your Australian Citizenship, it would be worth it, it just gives you alot more options.

I know that my daughter is torn, between returning back to Canada or staying here and being unhappy but with her family.

Tough call....at the end of the day you have to do what is right for you !!:hug:

Cheers

Karen

yeah very tough, course you dont want to hear that, you already know it. i have 3 daughters oldest is nearly your age and the second is nearly 17. they both have long term boyfriends who they adore and my wife and I and our 13 yr old daughter are quite likely to return to the UK for my job in jan 2012. its a similar situation and I am as stuck and worried as you. I want to pick my job back up which is saved for me and see my friends and family. But will they come with me or do I risk spliting my family?? Sometimes wish we had never come. But I do find comfort in the adage, "Life is about the journey, not the destination".

Good luck. follow your heart. heads are fickle things.

Guest Guardian Angel

the sound advice that i can only give you is speak to your parents its those that have your best interests at heart no matter where that takes you, its easy for people to say follow your heart but at your age things change rapidly, you meet new people all the time and the only one that knows you, knows you well and how you would cope aone, albeit with maybe relatives, is your mum.

You need to talk to them and work out solutions, everything is fixable with the love they hold for you

I am 19. But really just can't settle :(

Have about a year and a half left until we get citizenship but really not happy being here :(

Hi York91. I cannot say that I dislike Australia, but we're heading back to the UK mid-next year so my family can get to know our two Aussie born sons. Who knows what the future holds? I know one thing. If I ever we decide to move back - sons may always feel Aussie and want to get back to their roots - we have that choice, because we're Australian citizens. For us that "choice" is worth heaps.

I don't know your circumstances, but if you can hold on another 18 months, that choice will also be yours - at 19 years old you don't know how you will feel in 20 years; for that matter neither do I. Can you grin and bare and enjoy the good pay and spend a little more time with the family.

Whatever you decide good luck! :smile:

Guest shelleymarie

I don't suppose there's any way you could get citizenship through your parents whether you stay here or not?

If not, can you manage a couple of long holidays staying with rellies to get you through the 18 months?

In terms of falling in love, I will be saying to my kids, after my own experience and also working in a mediation centre where I see couples separating but having to stay on - be very sure you love where you live before having babies!!!

poor you - tough situation but like others on this post i would really advise you to get your citizenship first - 18 months might seem like a long time but it will pass quick - especially if you have a job to keep you busy. If you have an end date set in your mind it might make it easier. You have already done 2 months! ....... all the best

My parents moved around the world when I was in my teens and its very hard making new friends in teen years. I am happily an Aus now and have to be as I have lived here longer than I lived in the UK come to think of it so has my oh who is a Scot. Get citizenship and then go back and work for a while and see if you like it. However you will be able to come back if things do not work out.

Having dual nationality is worth the wait, we have it and so do my children who were born in Aus and so will any children you have in Aus.

What's wrong with Aus?

What's right with Aus?

Nah, everyone has different reasons. For me it is that I dont belong here and there is nothing here that keeps my interest. I want a life not a boring groundhog day existence.

Archived