Dual Citizenship. A Gift Or Curse?

Guest guest37336

Guest chris955

Yes I agree with all that, except the weather bit as that isn't important to me. We got our dual citizenship for convenience in all honesty as it made travel so much easier. It doesn't make me want to support the Aussies in the Ashes or fly the flag from my car.

Australia Citizenship (where applied for) is meant to formally involve pledging a commitment to Australia.

The oath and ceremony while not legally enforceable are meant to be taken very seriously.

If you are a believer you are able to make this oath to God.

Hopefully not a curse!! but certainly do not feel like it is a gift. More of a dilemma, if all of the family are not happy to be living in the one Country. We obtained Citizenship purely because our son has his, although we hopefully will be returning to the U.K.

Guest littlesarah

I don't have dual nationality, as yet (3 more years before I can apply); but I feel that when I do get it I will finally feel like I am taking my place in my adopted homeland.

At this moment in time, with all the talk of elections and such, I actually feel quite frustrated that I am unable to express my concerns about my country. I didn't even realise how much I love Australia until it dawned on me that I'm not able to vote (yet I have pay just as much tax as a true blue Aussie)!

For me, ease of travel isn't an issue, as it's easy to get a visa to visit the UK. If I had to choose, that would be hard, as I am proud to be English, and will always be proud of where I'm from and how I came to live here.

As with so many things, citizenship and nationality are very much more complex than they at first appear, and most people don't even think about it because they live and die in one country. This migrating business really does open up several cans of worms, it seems!

take 2 wrote a long response and lost it.

I think the draw a person’s place of birth has will always be there, my parents were born in Kashmir and the bond they have to Kashmir/Pakistan is very strong even though they left that place many years ago.

to watch parents talk about the country of their birth and their eyes light up and sorrow that is caused due to the suffering is also visible. due to all this the children and even grandchildren have these feelings towards the country of parents/grandparents.(my 10 yr old nephew has been watching the news about the floods about a land his grandparents come from and wants to help)

the more migration happens the more we start to become global citizens, so I think with all the issues dual citizenship can cause it is defiantly a good thing.

• 9 months later...
Guest Mimabean

I know this is an old thread but is something I'm very interested in finding opinions about. I'm dual citizen by descent and about to make the move to Oz- not been there since I was a baby. I'd always taken it for granted that I could go whenever and it wasn't until seeing the effort and hard work that is demanded of people having to apply for citizenship that I realise how lucky a position I'm in with the best of both worlds.

As for feeling torn, god knows, all I do know is that since I could first remember, I was growing up watching Blinky Bill and all the ABC shows and my mum was giving didgeridoo workshops at my [uK] primary school so I never thought it unusual. Thinking back, it was probably rather unusual looking at it with adult eyes.... I really hope this huge continent of childhood daydreams and mystery turns out all it's cracked up to be!

:)

Guest Scotinaus

I'd definitely say it was a true gift... I also identify to not knowing sometimes where I am "from". I left the UK at 21 and have spent my entire adult working lfe in Oz. I learned to drive here, bought a house here, started my career here... I love it here too!

I am really proud of being Scottish and always say that's where I am from (the accept is a bit of a giveaway)... But I don't have a hometown in Scotland as my parents no longer live where we used to so when I see them it's not somewhere familiar to me... Melbourne is definitely my home...

We are likely moving back to the UK (London) for a few years but it is somewhat reluctantly and I feel nervous about it the same way as those moving abroad for the first time often do! Silly I know, but I do feel like a tourist whn I go home, which is not often.

Having dual citizenship is a godsend as we know we can come back whenever we want! These decisions about where to live are definitely tough, but as a friend said to me, they are rich man's decisions!! Very true when you think of all the problems and hard decisions some people have to make...

I know this is an old thread but is something I'm very interested in finding opinions about. I'm dual citizen by descent and about to make the move to Oz- not been there since I was a baby. I'd always taken it for granted that I could go whenever and it wasn't until seeing the effort and hard work that is demanded of people having to apply for citizenship that I realise how lucky a position I'm in with the best of both worlds.

As for feeling torn, god knows, all I do know is that since I could first remember, I was growing up watching Blinky Bill and all the ABC shows and my mum was giving didgeridoo workshops at my [uK] primary school so I never thought it unusual. Thinking back, it was probably rather unusual looking at it with adult eyes.... I really hope this huge continent of childhood daydreams and mystery turns out all it's cracked up to be!

I don't see a problem with dual citizenship. It's got to be an advantage and just give you more options. We only pass this way once and got ours as soon as we could.

I come from Chesterfield originally, just down the road from you. Been here for 20 years now and love it. Growing up in the UK, was just great. Spent many a Friday and Saturday night in Sheffield going to pubs, seeing bands, stag nights. Missed the last train back more times than I care to remember.

If you read on these forums the hard work, happiness and heartbreak that goes along with applying for emigration you'll realise how lucky you are to have the choice.

Good luck with your move.

I relate to not knowing where I belong totally. I moved as a child then returned to Uk to live as an adult, hated it, then left and came to Aus and hated it so you see its not the place its the difference, once I got used to the difference in the UK I was fine. Once I got used to it here again I was fine.

I like the fact that I have a choice and my children have a choice also, although neither has bothered to go over since they have grown up. Daughter went to France but not the Uk, son likes to go to Asia with friends but not really interested in the UK. We must have bored them silly the last time we took them. :laugh:

Guest Mimabean
I'd definitely say it was a true gift... I also identify to not knowing sometimes where I am "from". I left the UK at 21 and have spent my entire adult working lfe in Oz. I learned to drive here, bought a house here, started my career here... I love it here too!

I am really proud of being Scottish and always say that's where I am from (the accept is a bit of a giveaway)... But I don't have a hometown in Scotland as my parents no longer live where we used to so when I see them it's not somewhere familiar to me... Melbourne is definitely my home...

We are likely moving back to the UK (London) for a few years but it is somewhat reluctantly and I feel nervous about it the same way as those moving abroad for the first time often do! Silly I know, but I do feel like a tourist whn I go home, which is not often.

Having dual citizenship is a godsend as we know we can come back whenever we want! These decisions about where to live are definitely tough, but as a friend said to me, they are rich man's decisions!! Very true when you think of all the problems and hard decisions some people have to make...

Good luck in the move back to the UK, nice to hear from someone else in a similar situation, best thing about it I guess is you have the liberty of changing your mind, woohoo! :)

Guest Mimabean
I don't see a problem with dual citizenship. It's got to be an advantage and just give you more options. We only pass this way once and got ours as soon as we could.

I come from Chesterfield originally, just down the road from you. Been here for 20 years now and love it. Growing up in the UK, was just great. Spent many a Friday and Saturday night in Sheffield going to pubs, seeing bands, stag nights. Missed the last train back more times than I care to remember.

If you read on these forums the hard work, happiness and heartbreak that goes along with applying for emigration you'll realise how lucky you are to have the choice.

Good luck with your move.

Haha, hello there fellow Yorkshireman! You'll be pleased to know (if the markets were running 20 years ago in chesterfield) that the chap shouting about his bloody oranges and bananas on the grocery stand is still there lol! Last trains home are nightmares, living at home in Elsecar was a disaster, last train from Sheff was something daft like 10.25..... sheeeesh.

Are you all settled now then Paul?

Guest Mimabean
I relate to not knowing where I belong totally. I moved as a child then returned to Uk to live as an adult, hated it, then left and came to Aus and hated it so you see its not the place its the difference, once I got used to the difference in the UK I was fine. Once I got used to it here again I was fine.

I like the fact that I have a choice and my children have a choice also, although neither has bothered to go over since they have grown up. Daughter went to France but not the Uk, son likes to go to Asia with friends but not really interested in the UK. We must have bored them silly the last time we took them. :laugh:

That's interesting that it's more the difference for you then, but again, there'll probably come a time when your kids are grateful for that connection. It's taken me 23 years to finally think about using mine. Plus I'm the only member of the family that hasn't been since I was out of nappies so nothing to judge on. Blank canvas and all that.

Haha, hello there fellow Yorkshireman! You'll be pleased to know (if the markets were running 20 years ago in chesterfield) that the chap shouting about his bloody oranges and bananas on the grocery stand is still there lol! Last trains home are nightmares, living at home in Elsecar was a disaster, last train from Sheff was something daft like 10.25..... sheeeesh.

Are you all settled now then Paul?

hello there fellow Yorkshireman!

Hold on a sec, Chesterfield is in Derbyshire (just). The markets were running 20 years ago and I know the guy you are talking about.:wink:

Very well settled in thanks. Love Perth and where we live, couldn't have made a better choice for us. We had a 2 year old when we came, now 21 and an electrician. Our youngest, now 15, born here and still at school.

I can't explain how different (in a good way) life is here, there is just no comparison. If you like sport, especially watersport and cycling, as all the family do, I couldn't think of a better place to live.

All the best,

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived