Dentist / Orthodontist

chapmans

Hey, just wondering if anyone has got any experience they can share regards dental treatments and Orthodontists? Our son needs a brace and was wondering what the cost for orthodontic treatment is here?

We are in Melbourne so any recommendations would be gratefully appreciated as would any ones that should be avoided at all costs!

Thanks in advance

Vanessa :smile:

Guest brownfamily
Hey, just wondering if anyone has got any experience they can share regards dental treatments and Orthodontists? Our son needs a brace and was wondering what the cost for orthodontic treatment is here?

We are in Melbourne so any recommendations would be gratefully appreciated as would any ones that should be avoided at all costs!

Thanks in advance

Hi,

We are in Queensland and both my kids needed braces and they have cost us $6,000 each!! Thats is the full cost (apart from teeth extractions etc) and includes retainers and all appointments etc.

Sorry I can't help with any recommendations though cos we are nowhere near Melbourne!

Heather

Our son's orthodontic work started at 8 years and he had all sorts of mouth pushers and shovers until he was 15 when they gave up and gave him braces. Very expensive and made even more so when dear son leaves his mouth piece on someone else's ride on mower :laugh:

Now he is all grown up and does he go to the dentist, no.

Thanks in advance

I was quoted and a friend who live in Mount Martha was quoted seven thousand dollars this includes the fitting and all follow up appointments, over a two year period.

Our son's orthodontic work started at 8 years and he had all sorts of mouth pushers and shovers until he was 15 when they gave up and gave him braces. Very expensive and made even more so when dear son leaves his mouth piece on someone else's ride on mower :laugh:

Now he is all grown up and does he go to the dentist, no.

Ahh kids hey, don't ya just love them! Our daughter is exactly the same with her retainers! Always loosing them, or leaving them at a friends house! Fortunately we have always managed to locate them......... I am touching wood as I say this! :rolleyes:

I was quoted and a friend who live in Mount Martha was quoted seven thousand dollars this includes the fitting and all follow up appointments, over a two year period.

Yep, $7000 sounds about right. Our sons just finished his treatment and thats what his cost. Nothing fancy, just standard braces and appointments. Then he had to have his wisdom teeth out, another $2000!!!!!! It's not funny. But to be fair his teeth look great!!

$6-7k is the going rate these days I think. If your son needs orthodontic work because of a cranio facial abnormality (cleft palate, CCD etc) then there is a free cleft palate programme for those kids - through the Childrens Hospital I think but it should be easy to find.

If it is just straight orthodontics then most of them have a payment plan so you fork out in installments or if you pay upfront (and if you have private health insurance you may get a few cents back) you can claim some back off your tax at the end of the year for going over the threshold.

Guest mandy1970

My 12 yrs old daughter will be 9 months into treatment with retainers when we move.

Will she have to start from scratch again or will they carry on with the retainers she has (save money???).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Magnetic6

Mandy1970 i was wondering the same, my son's just started some major (free) dental treatment on the NHS which will be ongoing for a couple of years.

I've been to the orthodontist today who said she'd be happy to email all his records to Oz but obviously we'd have to pay once there. He's had a retainer put in that's cemented to his teeth (no chance of losing that then!!!) that i have to screw everyday for a month. Then he may still need some teeth extracting before he goes onto train track top and bottom braces, so god knows how much this will cost.

Now i'm in a dilemma as he should have the braces by November, we're due to move in October and i'm now thinking should we stay here a bit longer to get this part of the treatment sorted.

Guest mandy1970

My daughter just had a check up last week and we were told that her next appointment (6 October - move 26!!!) would be to probably get "train tracks" measured/fitted.

I haven't mentioned our move yet to them so not really sure what to do. I was ready to tell them last week but then they said this so kept quiet. ?????????

Is it bad if we get them fitted and say nothing (but will Ozzie ortho use them!!) or should I be upfront and just start again when we move.

Mandy

Guest Magnetic6

No it's not bad mandy, at the end of the day you're making a massive move at great expense and if you can get as much done as you can before you go, i don't see this as a problem.

I've read on another thread some Australian orthodontists take off Uk braces and start again. However as somebody that works in the medical profession, i would question the ethics of this.

Depends on how old child is in my view, when our son started at 8 we were told the treatment he was having would mean he would not need braces, well that did not happen, he had braces. Mind you he had the lovely ones you cannot see for the price of the cheap ones due to this little debacle.

My son saw the dentist every month for years and years and of course it was all in. You get them to give you a quote. A dentist who does orthodontic work is cheaper than an orthodontist.

Community Health also run dental clinics in Victoria I guess the other States are the same. So you could check that pathway.

Guest J.and.K

A dentist at Princess Margaret Hospital in Perth wanted to remove 7 of our daughter's teeth in one go!!! And best of all using GAS!!!!

This was the emergency clinic on a sunday. So believing his words we had to book her in for an operation.

The following day we decided to get a second opinion, at a local dentist in wannaroo.

He removed 1 tooth,job done!!!

So be carefull and shop around.... Lots of cowboys around....Even in a so called royal hospital!:biglaugh:j

Guest famousfive

I would probably do some research and contact some dentists in the area you are moving to.I know of a child who had to start again once they moved here because it is hard for a dentist to stand by work done in another country,probably due to insurance.Our daughter is soon to get braces but as we plan on returning home next year I have found a dentist there who will continue treatment,it took a few tries before I found one, so few calls now is probably a good idea.

My daughter just had a check up last week and we were told that her next appointment (6 October - move 26!!!) would be to probably get "train tracks" measured/fitted.

I haven't mentioned our move yet to them so not really sure what to do. I was ready to tell them last week but then they said this so kept quiet. ?????????

Is it bad if we get them fitted and say nothing (but will Ozzie ortho use them!!) or should I be upfront and just start again when we move.

Mandy

Chances are the Australian orthodontist will take them off and start again. They dont want to be held accountable for someone else's work.

Had a similar situation and we waited until we got here, which has cost lots but the result is fantastic , Daughter had a friend from the US and she was able to finish treatment here, don't know about costs, but she had had her tracks on for quite a while. If you are getting treatment on the NHS it might be worth getting them put on and seeing what happens, if you are having to pay privately in the Uk its probably worth waiting until you get here.

Guest mandy1970

Thanks for the replies.

My daughter is 12 and is only now realising the benefit of having braces. I am still not sure what to do. Although I am tempted to get as far as I can with her treatment before our move. I think I will try and make contact with some ortho's and see what they say.

We are moving to the Rockingham WA area so any recommendations would be great if poss.

Mandy

I did find that in the UK my daughter was referred to an orthodontist and we were told it was a 12 - 18 month wait for an assessment, she didn't even get an assessment before we migrated. Here, she saw the school dentist, I went in the next day, they gave me a list of local orthodontists and she was seen the week later. She did have two teeth removed to create room ... but her braces were fitted within 2 months of the referral. We (and more importantly she) are thrilled with the results.

Archived