"Bile Spewing Bitter Poms"

Guest Guest37175

Guest Guest37175

Sounds horrendous doesn't it?. Not my words of course, but the words of a P.I.O. regular, desperate for nine-month summers and more mozzies than you can insectocute

For those of us who don't live the dream down under, is that what we are?. I'd like to think that most, or virtually all of us who don't decide to stay here are rational people who've arrived at that decision in a considered way. However, maybe I'm wrong and we're more bitter than a truckload of lemons on the way to the squashing factory?

What's the truth here? Are we losers who should keep our gobs shut and not intrude upon the dreams of those who will follow us, or do we have a duty to say "Nah, I reckon that place is shee-ite, give it a miss and head on down the road!"

Be glad to hear your views.

:biglaugh:This spat is gonna run and run isnt it oz!

Nah,i like to read the good and bad points,forewarned is good imo,does'nt bother me if some people hate oz or hate the UK,i just form my own opinions,what others think isnt my concern,i would be pretty weakminded if i let certain threads/posters decide my future?

I dont think the sweeping generalisations are much use "oz is crap" etc,but their no skin off my nose,IF i dont like oz i'l say,and give reasons,and then move on.

I would love to be able to say It's a "great" place and the people are really friendly but if i'm honest I hated the place and if anyone has binned their plans to move there based on my posts then so be it.

Bitter, nooo, i'm happy that the experience made me realise where i want to be.

Guest guest37336

Hi Oz.

As you know I appreciate Australia and the Australians, each to their own and if the opinion is offered reasonably and thoughtfully why the hell shouldn't you be allowed to say you dislike Australia, I may not agree with some comments but that is not to say they shouldn't be aired.

People like yourself, Aldo, Dom, loads of others often post about the negatives about Australia but it is done with reason, educated thought and humour, long may it live mate, PIO would be a sadder place without such posts and threads.

I have no idea who you are speaking of mate, thankfully I hope they are in the minority. Come to think of it, if shortened the quote becomes, 'BSBP', kind of roles of the tongue mate that one.:biglaugh:

Cheers Tony:wink:

Guest Guest37175
I would love to be able to say It's a "great" place and the people are really friendly but if i'm honest I hated the place and if anyone has binned their plans to move there based on my posts then so be it.

Bitter, nooo, i'm happy that the experience made me realise where i want to be.

Me too!........I just can't!. Judging by your photos mate, and the time you spend in London, you have the best of both worlds!

Guest Guest37175
Hi Oz.

As you know I appreciate Australia and the Australians, each to their own and if the opinion is offered reasonably and thoughtfully why the hell shouldn't you be allowed to say you dislike Australia, I may not agree with some comments but that is not to say they shouldn't be aired.

People like yourself, Aldo, Dom, loads of others often post about the negatives about Australia but it is done with reason, educated thought and humour, long may it live mate, PIO would be a sadder place without such posts and threads.

I have no idea who you are speaking of mate, thankfully I hope they are in the minority. Come to think of it, if shortened the quote becomes, 'BSBP', kind of roles of the tongue mate that one.:biglaugh:

Cheers Tony:wink:

Tony you're a gent and a giant on P.I.O. Folk on both sides of the divide hold you in high esteem precisely because you've lived it, loved it and been frustrated by it in both countries, and that's saying something!.

Keep on posting mate. It's always an education reading your stuff.

Guest Guest37175

Pabs, I reckon you're a bit of a star. You read all the crap from both sides (of the fence) and just get on with you're own decision. With Oz, that's the way to go in my view. Even for me as someone who misses home there's great things here.The thrill of shooting stars in the southern sky, or bats flapping into your face as you come out of the pub, or a dozy pelican getting in fishermen's lines as you're stood watching on the beach. Great stuff!

Guest guest37336
Tony you're a gent and a giant on P.I.O. Folk on both sides of the divide hold you in high esteem precisely because you've lived it, loved it and been frustrated by it in both countries, and that's saying something!.

Keep on posting mate. It's always an education reading your stuff.

Appreciated mate, though not necessarily true.

But what bugs me is the fact that to defend any ONE country as, 'My Country Right Or Wrong' is just bloody madness. No where on Gods green earth is perfect, no way in a million years.. I have travelled fairly extensively mate, and I have yet to find a country that I could say I was 'Truly 100%' happy in.

But I WILL defend both Australia and the UK if needs must, but in doing so I acknowledge that neither is perfect, far from it. There are a few trolls who still go by the old adage, 'My Country Right Or Wrong', but experience has borne out the fact that Australia and the UK do at times drive me insane.

Their is a huge difference to SLAGGING a country off, and making a valid point, AND being prepared to listen to the other view point without the defences going immediately up.

Show me anyone that says ANYWHERE is perfect OZ and I will show you a fool.

PS. OZ, that new avatar of yours has made me wet my pants.:notworthy:

Cheers Tony

Guest Guest37175

Very true. If I've learned one thing from being here 2 years it's that both countries have strengths they perhaps never knew they had, along with weaknesses they'd rather not admit to!

There was a great programme that the BBC did in 2008 called "OZ and Them" which offered up a comic view of how the two countries saw each other. Essential viewing for migrants everywhere!

Pabs, I reckon you're a bit of a star. You read all the crap from both sides (of the fence) and just get on with you're own decision. With Oz, that's the way to go in my view. Even for me as someone who misses home there's great things here.The thrill of shooting stars in the southern sky, or bats flapping into your face as you come out of the pub, or a dozy pelican getting in fishermen's lines as you're stood watching on the beach. Great stuff!

Thx very much oz,but i suppose we all go and decide for ourselves in the end eh mate?

It does'nt bother me what other people think of oz,they might not want the same things ?

I think if i was younger with a lot of partying to do i "might" not go,but ive done all that to death,for way way too long tbh,so peace and quiet will do now thx.

I wont feel ANY shame whatsoever if i/we dont settle in oz,nor should anyone else imo.

Either way Victor harbor where we hope to settle is VERY different to the bluebell estate in huyton(no bluebells tho!),everyones about 90 YOA,and theres whales!

We'l see oz,i dont dismiss others opinions on Aus,yours included,but ONLY WE can decide if WE like it,anybody who is that weakminded to let the "negative" posts on Aus put them off cant have been very commited to going in the first place imo.

Time will tell how we like it???,tbh were not going with fortunes,so it IS a big risk,we COULD end up back here skint,but ive got one last adventure in me before i buy the quilted polyester housecoat,and theres no pockets in a shroud mate.

I hope you love it when yer come home ,the city centre rebuild,and canal link in front of the 3 graces have changed lpool a hell of a lot in the last yr,you'l be impressed,well i am.

Good luck anyway oz:wink:

Guest Guest37175

But what bugs me is the fact that to defend any ONE country as, 'My Country Right Or Wrong' is just bloody madness. No where on Gods green earth is perfect, no way in a million years.. I have travelled fairly extensively mate, and I have yet to find a country that I could say I was 'Truly 100%' happy in.

But I WILL defend both Australia and the UK if needs must, but in doing so I acknowledge that neither is perfect, far from it. There are a few trolls who still go by the old adage, 'My Country Right Or Wrong', but experience has borne out the fact that Australia and the UK do at times drive me insane.

Their is a huge difference to SLAGGING a country off, and making a valid point, AND being prepared to listen to the other view point without the defences going immediately up.

PS. OZ, that new avatar of yours has made me wet my pants.:notworthy:

Cheers Tony

Cheers Tony, always good to hear your thoughts m'friend.

For those of us who don't live the dream down under, is that what we are?. I'd like to think that most, or virtually all of us who don't decide to stay here are rational people who've arrived at that decision in a considered way.

From reading your first post it doesn't sound like 'rational' played a big part in your decision to come back to the UK...

Guest Guest37175
rds102227.jpg

Sure are biting tonight.:biglaugh::twitcy::laugh:

I never said this to you did i?

I said it to take the piddle out of someone, who deserved it, never really meant it, just taking the mickey.

Come on try to be nice and upbeat Ozsceptic.................name says it all.:cry:

I do get a thrill knowing how much i get under certain peoples skin, i don't recall having truck with you before unless your the ghost of old Earlsy, so why would you be so confrontational and nasty to me? Poor show and pathetic springs to mind, i think you have just had a - why did i do that, moment. I am sure the mods will bin this thread, shame really - NOT.

Jiiiiiiim!!!.....you got me!.

No, you never said this to me.....

And, (poor grammar I know), well, who was the target for your ill-chosen words?

You're right. My Username name says it all. I'm not not an Oz-lover but not an Oz_hater either!

But Jim, in the new spirit of detente and niceness I will declare a truce between us.

All the best for you hopeful future move to Brissy. A great city, and if you're ever in Runaway Bay then give us a shout and I'll have the kettle on and a plate of Tim-Tams on the table.

Just stay away from The Valley - not the place to be!. I'm sure Kev warned you!

Oz :smile:

Guest Guest37175
From reading your first post it doesn't sound like 'rational' played a big part in your decision to come back to the UK...

Well Peach, was that my 1st post today or my 1st post on P.I.O..?. As it happens I'm still on the Gold Coast.

As you're asking, my reason for being here on the GC is family - my missus, our daughter and her family. As for 'rational', well, you do these things for those you love.

All the best to you

Nowhere in the world is life perfect. In the UK, my husband and I had to go to work, do the washing, take the bins out and pay the bills.

Monday to Friday, his week is exactly the same in Australia as it was there (I aren't working at the moment but not through lack of trying, lol). So unless someone gave him a big fat wad of cash to spend his time doing exactly as he wanted, I think he would agree that his life really hasn't changed that much by comparison during the week. So Australia isn't perfect any more than the UK is, it's just different.

I used to read all the 'flipside' posts before I came to Australia (the only 'negative' post is one that's no use to anyone either way).

Reading them didn't change my mind about coming here and why would it? I'm not going to base my family's life on someone else's experience, because they're not me! You have to find out for yourself of course.

I particularly like Dom's posts because he has a really irreverent, slightly off-kilter sense of humour that makes me laugh out loud.

Long live difference of opinion!

Sue x

Guest gratom

Anyone person who thinks that is amazingly zenophobic--to accuse persons of a differing viewpoint in such a victriolic way is appalling:cry:

Guest siamsusie

I particularly like Dom's posts because he has a really irreverent, slightly off-kilter sense of humour that makes me laugh out loud.

Sue x

He is one dirty man Sue, I think I will have to compile a dictionary of his words and explain!:mad:

Leaving & entering Australia from Melbourne airport will never be the same for me after this man's, speel! I will always be suppressing a giggle.

Love Susie

& gm Doms!

He is one dirty man Sue, I think I will have to compile a dictionary of his words and explain!:mad:

Leaving & entering Australia from Melbourne airport will never be the same for me after this man's, I will always be suppressing a giggle.

Love Susie

& gm Doms!

:biglaugh: Don't ever offer him a cuppa Susie, I've heard he brings his own teabags :shocked:

Sue x

No where on Gods green earth is perfect, no way in a million years.. I have travelled fairly extensively mate, and I have yet to find a country that I could say I was 'Truly 100%' happy in.

Cheers Tony

Well I must say.......... Say hello to a fool

I never left Australia because of it's faults, I had an opportunity to see the world... Not that I've seen as much as I wanted, but hey as Ned Kelly once said "such is life"

If anything it has made me realise just how perfect Australia is for ME. I struggle to find any fault with Australia I was happy there, I understand not everyone likes the place we are all different, but don't class people as fools for being happy and finding somewhere that is perfect for them :wubclub:

As for you not finding somewhere that you're not 100% happy with, keep looking mate it's there somewhere.

Well I must say.......... Say hello to a fool

I never left Australia because of it's faults, I had an opportunity to see the world... Not that I've seen as much as I wanted, but hey as Ned Kelly once said "such is life"

If anything it has made me realise just how perfect Australia is for ME. I struggle to find any fault with Australia I was happy there, I understand not everyone likes the place we are all different, but don't class people as fools for being happy and finding somewhere that is perfect for them :wubclub:

As for you not finding somewhere that you're not 100% happy with, keep looking mate it's there somewhere.

I never left England because of its faults but they are more apparant to me now than they have ever been but still happy to live hear.

As said above no ware is perfect not even Geoffreys beloved yellow Victoria

Guest guest36762

Hi Oz

I think the 'negative' posts on this forum are by far the most entertaining. I just lose interest if a post is totally upbeat (not just about Australia, about anything). And yes, I think the 'negative' posts are very important, as they reflect how many potential migrants will themselves end up feeling.

I only discovered PIO by accident after living here a while. It has been a god send, in terms of providing an outlet for me to express frustration at some aspects of living here (without having to annoy my Aussie wife). Even more importantly, I've met some great people, one of them in person, and look forward to meeting others in real life too.

And thanks SS and SS for appreciating my humour, my wife used to laugh at my jokes too!

Dom

I never left England because of its faults but they are more apparant to me now than they have ever been but still happy to live hear.

As said above no ware is perfect not even Geoffreys beloved yellow Victoria

Only in your eyes John :wubclub:

Guest siamsusie
Don't ever offer him a cuppa Susie, I've heard he brings his own teabags

Sue x

:twitcy:I can think of many things I would like to offer Doms Sue, I wish my fist was bigger!

I would love to meet his wife:laugh:

how about it Doms eh?:wubclub:

Well, I sure hope the "bile spewing bitter Pom" person doesnt find that statement one day comes back to bite them on the bum. It may not be this year or next year but 10 or 20 years down the track things can change and what may once have been a paradise can easily become a nightmare. No matter how strong you think you are, nor how rational, there is no accounting for emotions nor your sense of belonging.

If anyone has such little resolve as to be swayed by any of the posts on here by anonymous posters then perhaps moving to the other side of the world away from all that they hold dear may not have been a good thing in the first place. If they have their eyes opened and still come anyway then they will be much better prepared for anything that gets thrown at them. You know what they say, "hope for the best, expect the worst and take what comes".

Archived