The real Australia

Guest Locksley

Guest Locksley

G'day all

My wife and I are big on country touring and camping. Like I said in another post here, we reckon 80% of people in this country never get very far from the cities or areas they live in.

We were reading this ride report from a fellow Advrider today and thought I should copy the link here because he travelled from SA to Melbourne and then later across to Western Oz and took plenty of photos showing the different kind of terrain one encounters in the real Aussie outback.

Come take a look at the real Australia, which the majority of Aussies will never visit.

Gone, Again... ( Random Adventures in Oz ) - ADVrider

Cheers: Kevin.

Guest siamsusie
G'day all

My wife and I are big on country touring and camping. Like I said in another post here, we reckon 80% of people in this country never get very far from the cities or areas they live in.

We were reading this ride report from a fellow Advrider today and thought I should copy the link here because he travelled from SA to Melbourne and then later across to Western Oz and took plenty of photos showing the different kind of terrain one encounters in the real Aussie outback.

Come take a look at the real Australia, which the majority of Aussies will never visit.

Gone, Again... ( Random Adventures in Oz ) - ADVrider

My husband has ridden around Australia on his motor bike x 2 so knows his country very well:biggrin: he has also push biked around New Zealand.

We are ardent bikers Kevin and as soon as we both retire this is the way we will be doing Australia for I have only done SA, WA, down the Nullabor , NTand doing Tasmania slowly but surely.

Thanks for the good link... Susie

Guest Locksley
My husband has ridden around Australia on his motor bike x 2 so knows his country very well:biggrin: he has also push biked around New Zealand.

We are ardent bikers Kevin and as soon as we both retire this is the way we will be doing Australia for I have only done SA, WA, down the Nullabor , NTand doing Tasmania slowly but surely.

Thanks for the good link... Susie

I lived in Launceston for a year and loved it.

Here's the link to the ADVrider's in Tasmania.

DonQ started it.

We took Don and Suze around the Blue Mountains with us a couple of years ago.

Don and Suze live in Hobart.

Tasmanian Riders Hub - ADVrider

Guest Locksley
All our free time is spent exploring.The best thing we ever bought was our camper trailer.Our ultimate plan for when we retire is to become "Not So Grey Nomads "

There really is more to this country than beaches.Thanks for the link.

You tow the camper on a 4x4 Janine?

Lin and I know all the good places around NSW, quiet camping spots, out of the way routes.

If you have 4x4 capability let us know and we'll get together over lunch one day and pour over our maps.

Most of the places we go the main dirt roads are easily doable in a 4x4 in dry conditions.

You're just up the road from us, as you probably know.

Guest siamsusie
I lived in Launceston for a year and loved it.

Here's the link to the ADVrider's in Tasmania.

DonQ started it.

We took Don and Suze around the Blue Mountains with us a couple of years ago.

Don and Suze live in Hobart.

Tasmanian Riders Hub - ADVrider

Kevin thank you so much for the link, very much appreciated. Pleased you loved Launceston, mind you the whole island is pretty good.

Interesting thread there Kevin:hug: looking forward to hearing more from you guys

love Susie x

Guest Locksley
We travelled OZ for 7 months last year - Best thing I have ever done!

Have a read if you like

Drive around Australia - Two Poms in a 4x4

Nice pics guys.

Cape York, even today only 1% of Australians ever get there.

I rode a rally kitted XL 500 Honda trail bike to the Cape in 1989.

I understand the Wenlock has a bridge across it now?

And the road is tarred to Cape Tribulation?

The Cape is still one of the Holy Grails for Aussie adventure riders and 4x4 folk.

• 7 months later...
Guest orangepeelskin

If your ever in western australia, go see the big black tyre marks in armadale, kelmscott, belmont and a few other places. Also, the ancient cave drawings on the school walls and fences are quite spectacular and the bus and train windows.

Hi Orange,

Are you still in WA? I work in Armadale and Kelscott and the shire have spent a lot of money on it and there are some new suburbs that form part of Armadale that are really nice.

Welcome to PIO by the way

Guest orangepeelskin

If you ever go to Perth there are some really awesome Mcdonalds drive throughs. I like it when you get to the speaking box and the girl speaks at 300km/hr and then you say "pardon". Also Centrelink is a really great cultural meeting place. A really spectacular place to visit is Meekatharra in Western Australia. Stay at the caravan park there....recommended. Close by, is the quaint town of Wiluna which has historic buildings, a world class art centre, and a hotel which stands out in the twilight hours on a balmy summers eve. The town of Leonora and Laverton boast the records of having the best tourist facilities in the southern hemisphere, according to the Leyland Brothers travel australia directory. Last, but not least, what would a trip to western australia be without visiting Telfer? With spectacular scenery, abundant flora/fauna, cascading waterfalls, and 25 deg temperature all year round, this is a must.

• 2 months later...
If your ever in western australia, gosee the big black tyre marks in armadale, kelmscott, belmont and a few other places. Also, the ancient cave drawings on the school walls and fences are quite spectacular and the bus and train windows.

I see your schooling wasn't too good, either.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

If you ever go to Perth there are some really awesome Mcdonalds drive throughs. I like it when you get to the speaking box and the girl speaks at 300km/hr and then you say "pardon". Also Centrelink is a really great cultural meeting place. A really spectacular place to visit is Meekatharra in Western Australia. Stay at the caravan park there....recommended. Close by, is the quaint town of Wiluna which has historic buildings, a world class art centre, and a hotel which stands out in the twilight hours on a balmy summers eve. The town of Leonora and Laverton boast the records of having the best tourist facilities in the southern hemisphere, according to the Leyland Brothers travel australia directory. Last, but not least, what would a trip to western australia be without visiting Telfer? With spectacular scenery, abundant flora/fauna, cascading waterfalls, and 25 deg temperature all year round, this is a must.

So you don't like it then?:cool:

We have lived here for 20 years and I've been lucky enough to see a lot of the major cities on work trips. Each one different but good to visit.

We've travelled around WA quite a bit and love the South West. It is so big though that we could stay at a different place every time we go down there and still not be able to see it all in a lifetime. Lots of our friends have 4x4's and caravans kitted out for off road travel and roughing it.

We have lived here for 20 years and I've been lucky enough to see a lot of the major cities on work trips. Each one different but good to visit.

We've travelled around WA quite a bit and love the South West. It is so big though that we could stay at a different place every time we go down there and still not be able to see it all in a lifetime. Lots of our friends have 4x4's and caravans kitted out for off road travel and roughing it.

Hi Paul

Yes i live in South Perth and work at a caravan dealership. Caravans are selling like hot cakes so i can well believe what you are saying. :jiggy:

Archived