Reasons not to come to Oz

Guest TA01085

Guest chloew
It is very remote and culturally a little backward compared to Europe. The TV is terrible, food is very expensive and a bit odd. The racism can be repugnant... However, the sunshine and the beaches are tremendous, there is some fantastic wildlife and there are enough Brits over here to make plenty of friends if you can't find any sophisticated locals!

I agree, I still find the racism shocking but even more shocking is the fact that people don't believe they are racist, just telling it like it is.................maybe just not as PC as we're used to in the UK

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is very remote and culturally a little backward compared to Europe. The TV is terrible, food is very expensive and a bit odd. The racism can be repugnant... However, the sunshine and the beaches are tremendous, there is some fantastic wildlife and there are enough Brits over here to make plenty of friends if you can't find any sophisticated locals!

I agree - the lack of genuine culture is unfortunate, and television here is absolutely diabolical: no arts programmes and barely any documentaries. It's all lowbrow entertainment. Books are absurdly expensive although to be fair there are a lot of secondhand stores.

I haven't found any natural beauty here to compare with the best of Europe, although I haven't travelled to NT or SA.

My main beef is something intangible that can only be inadequately summed up as: Australia is not a serious country. There is no grit, no real tradition. Some might find that a positive but I don't. There's a shallowness and almost frivolity which can quite jarring to some Europeans I think.

My main beef is something intangible that can only be inadequately summed up as: Australia is not a serious country. There is no grit, no real tradition. Some might find that a positive but I don't. There's a shallowness and almost frivolity which can quite jarring to some Europeans I think

Couldn't have put it better myself:smile:

Guest siamsusie
Oh dear are we back on the same old argument again? Can't we all just agree to disagree and move on, I'd (almost) rather discuss Shark's nether regions again than go over all this old ground again.

In summary, some love it here, some don't and others are indifferent, vive la difference. :jiggy:

Sue.

:no: no please not again, put me off sweetbreads for life! :mad:

Guest guest36762
My main beef is something intangible that can only be inadequately summed up as: Australia is not a serious country. There is no grit, no real tradition. Some might find that a positive but I don't. There's a shallowness and almost frivolity which can quite jarring to some Europeans I think.

Couldn't have put it better myself:smile:
Connie, shouldn't you be busy packing?

Guest siamsusie
I agree - the lack of genuine culture is unfortunate, and television here is absolutely diabolical: no arts programmes and barely any documentaries. It's all lowbrow entertainment. Books are absurdly expensive although to be fair there are a lot of secondhand stores.

I haven't found any natural beauty here to compare with the best of Europe, although I haven't travelled to NT or SA.

The Australian Story

Four Corners,

60 minutes

Foreign Correspondent/

SBS & ABC are good

I seem to find many documentary programmes on the TV... books I obtain through e bay or Book Depository/Fishpond.

Natural Beauty, goodness, WA, Tasmania, WhitSundays Qld, SA ,NT etc it is there believe me. It is quite awe inspiring how beautiful this country is and I have lived all over the world.

I dont quite get "Australia isnt a serious country"!:wubclub:Susie

For those already here in Oz lets see how many contributors we can get to list what really hackd you off about the place.

I will start off with false image the place has as being laid back, which is just not the case.

The thing that hacked me off, was me, why diid I leave my great life, in a country that I loved where I could be British and feel British, to come to a country that after 12 months bores the pants off me, what a complete idiot I was, that is what hacks me right off.

If people find it hard to make friends, it could be that they are the cause. One's I have met with who make this statement are very shy or timid. If you shouted at them they would run a mile. Very week in character. Sorry that's the way I see it 90% of the time.

Guest clazzaclan

This is why i hate this site at times.! Ive never been to Oz and will be doing soon in about 8 weeks! I truly believe that where ever you are in the world you will find good and bad in everything and everyone. Look for the good and get on with life. It isnt a rehearsal and i personally havent time to whinge! For those that hate it and are un-happy, all you have to do is book a flight back to the UK! (Simple). If i too, am so dissapointed and unhappy in Oz that is what i will be doing! Positive thinking and appreciation of life goes along way! If you dont appreciate what you have now you will will never be happy anywhere!

Theres always people alot worse off. I love life and embrace in what it throws at me!!!!!!!

Not far of the mark there I reckon, but hats off to the producers of Masterchef!

And I must get a life!

Guest clazzaclan

Look dont mean to sound harsh i have a friend, age 35 who has about 6 months to live and would give anything to live in a tent in the middle of no-where to watch her kids open there next Christmas presents!

Guest chloew
This is why i hate this site at times.! Ive never been to Oz and will be doing soon in about 8 weeks! I truly believe that where ever you are in the world you will find good and bad in everything and everyone. Look for the good and get on with life. It isnt a rehearsal and i personally havent time to whinge! For those that hate it and are un-happy, all you have to do is book a flight back to the UK! (Simple). If i too, am so dissapointed and unhappy in Oz that is what i will be doing! Positive thinking and appreciation of life goes along way! If you dont appreciate what you have now you will will never be happy anywhere!

Theres always people alot worse off. I love life and embrace in what it throws at me!!!!!!!

If only it was as easy as booking a flight back, we had to sign a years lease on a house and spent a lot of money shipping stuff over. After spending money and time on the visa it pays to give it some time to make sure it really isn't for you.

Guest clazzaclan

I agree totally it does cost thru the roof but whats money if your that unhappy! We will be spending half our life savings too.

With your attitude I think you'll be one of the happy, "good adaptors". One thing most of the ones who don't like it here seem to share is a desire for Australia to be the same as England but with sunshine. So long as you embrace the differences rather than resenting them (and whinging about them) you'll do fine!

Bob

I have to agree with the above poster! That it really is as simple as booking flights and shippers if you are really that unhappy!

If you do your sums and add up over a certain amount of months of how long you feel you are tied into staying what you are actually paying on the major payouts, including rent, fuel, broadband, foxtel, food etc and other weekly/monthly payouts, then check out flight prices, and shipping quotes etc, you will surprise yourself! You are in actual fact saving money by going home early, This is what we have done and we will save around $3-4k[ on this alone, this is including shipping dogs home! Its not a huge saving i will admit, But then again our happiness and our kids is far more important!

I have to agree with the above poster! That it really is as simple as booking flights and shippers if you are really that unhappy!

If you do your sums and add up over a certain amount of months of how long you feel you are tied into staying what you are actually paying on the major payouts, including rent, fuel, broadband, foxtel, food etc and other weekly/monthly payouts, then check out flight prices, and shipping quotes etc, you will surprise yourself! You are in actual fact saving money by going home early, This is what we have done and we will save around $3-4k[ on this alone, this is including shipping dogs home! Its not a huge saving i will admit, But then again our happiness and our kids is far more important!

But there could be the small matter of having a job here but struggling to find one in the UK, which is in recession?

But there could be the small matter of having a job here but struggling to find one in the UK, which is in recession?

No, job front for my o/h is all fine, has a good job to go back to in the uk, we did our homework first! :biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
No, job front for my o/h is all fine, has a good job to go back to in the uk, we did our homework first! :biggrin:

:notworthy:Dawny, proud of your positive attitude as usual and do stay in touch, keep safe and well and I send all my best wishes Susie xx

:notworthy:Dawny, proud of your positive attitude as usual and do stay in touch, keep safe and well and I send all my best wishes Susie xx

Awwww thank you Susie, i'm always positive me! No point in being negative!,

I will of course stay in touch, and thank you for all your kindness!

Dawny xxx

Guest daisybumbleroot

WOW.

I have joined this forum because my husband and I are thinking of moving to a new life in Australia and I specifically looked at this thread because everyone and everywhere seems to sing the praises of living in Australia. I wanted to get a balanced view and find out some negatives that would need taking into consideration because the grass isnt always greener.

8 pages and about 7 posts that mention negatives. Very informative.

Of course negatives are just an opinion, there is no need to argue that, but if you have found a downside to moving to Australia, perhaps it is a good thing that you share it so people like me can make an informed opinion based on others real life experiences.

WOW.

I have joined this forum because my husband and I are thinking of moving to a new life in Australia and I specifically looked at this thread because everyone and everywhere seems to sing the praises of living in Australia. I wanted to get a balanced view and find out some negatives that would need taking into consideration because the grass isnt always greener.

8 pages and about 7 posts that mention negatives. Very informative.

Of course negatives are just an opinion, there is no need to argue that, but if you have found a downside to moving to Australia, perhaps it is a good thing that you share it so people like me can make an informed opinion based on others real life experiences.

Welcome Daisy to pio,

Pleased you are enjoying the forum, :jiggy:

Archived