Reasons not to come to Oz

Guest TA01085

Guest TA01085

For those already here in Oz lets see how many contributors we can get to list what really hackd you off about the place.

I will start off with false image the place has as being laid back, which is just not the case.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Boxertony

I absolutely love living and working in Adelaide. I have been here since February 2010 and it is the best thing I have done. Nevertheless my Son aged 21 and my Daughter aged 17 are both going back to the UK in September. For one reason only Education. We are on the 475 State Sponsorship Visa and the cost of University and TAFE educational courses are far far expensive. So both of them are retruning to the UK because education is much cheaper if not free. Son going to Edge Hill University and my daughter is going on an Hairdressing Apprentice.

Been here five months and my daughter has had 11 hairdressing trials and not one of the hairdressers have contacted or gave her feedback - basically free labour.

Guest guest37336

Not knocking anyones reasons, BUT.

The ONLY reason I can see for not going to OZ is when there is a flight strike on all airlines, there again, there is always the boat. Yep, it has it's downsides, but in the main I would bloody well surf there if I could, but never looked good in a wetsuit.:biglaugh:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest siamsusie
For those already here in Oz lets see how many contributors we can get to list what really hackd you off about the place.

I will start off with false image the place has as being laid back, which is just not the case.

I am really hacked off... Tasmania is so laid back its hard to find anyone vertical:laugh:

Whinging Pom's Everywhere! :eek:

Guest proud2beaussie

There is only one reason not to in my opinion-that is if you are seeking utopia,because you won't find it here,what you will find is a fantastic country with friendly,welcoming people,some spectacular scenery and great food ,yes it has it's faults and I am not blind to them,there are definetly issues that need addressing,no Australia is not perfect but the last time I looked "Utopia" wasn't on my atlas.

Guest stockies
I am really hacked off... Tasmania is so laid back its hard to find anyone vertical:laugh:

Nothing vertical.........oh deary deary me....:sad::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest proud2beaussie
oh dear you seem to have come up against the brick wall that is 'whingeingpomophobia'

By that comment Dom you mean anyone who doesn't constantly look for negatives?

Quick call out the reinforcements,we have sensible comments on PIO,we can't allow that ! :eek::eek:only people posting to "educate' others about "potential pitfalls" of moving to Australia are allowed.

Guest stockies
just as I thought the post has been hijacked by people who don't want to have a decent debate.

I think what hacks me off about the place are people who move here and seem to lose theier sense of humour........what is it with everyone...........have we all become so bloody serious that we forget how to have fun ???????????

Guest siamsusie

just as I thought the post has been hijacked by people who don't want to have a decent debate.
Tao, it's all been done to death but surely some light hearted banter evens out the whinges eh!:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
I think what hacks me off about the place are people who move here and seem to lose theier sense of humour........what is it with everyone...........have we all become so bloody serious that we forget how to have fun ???????????

I see the 'island Tarts" think alike:laugh:... I was having a deep and meaningful "thought session" in Coles Lonnie yesterday:mad:... how would half of the whingers manage in a war situation! spoilt spoilt spoilt!... end of thought!:twitcy:

Guest proud2beaussie
the post has been hijacked by people who don't want to have a decent debate.
NO,actually the thread has had sensible comments,the fact that they don't fit it with what you wanted,which was apparently a whingefest about what you see as wrong with Australia is just bad luck.

If you want to whinge about Australia then I suggest you find some like minded people and use the chat room or private message facility,if you actually want DEBATE then expect others to disagree with you.

Guest guest36762
I see the 'island Tarts" think alike:laugh:... I was having a deep and meaningful "thought session" in Coles Lonnie yesterday:mad:... how would half of the whingers manage in a war situation! spoilt spoilt spoilt!... end of thought!:twitcy:

now look Susie your just being meen!

whingers would be very useful in a war situation. For a start they wouldnt' go on the front line until the'yre gear had been sorted, and they mightt even be able to convinse the leaders to stop the fitting

There is only one reason not to in my opinion-that is if you are seeking utopia,because you won't find it here,what you will find is a fantastic country with friendly,welcoming people,some spectacular scenery and great food ,yes it has it's faults and I am not blind to them,there are definetly issues that need addressing,no Australia is not perfect but the last time I looked "Utopia" wasn't on my atlas.

You are right Nigel- Australia isn't Utopia but seems to be sold as such more and more in the Uk and over here. My husband was at the cinema with the kids the other day and there was an Ad on for Australia, he couldn't believe how much it made of the place and went on for about 5 mins-obviously aimed at getting people to holiday in their own country. He likened it to propoganda

Australia is great for some and not for others but I would say that in answer to the original question one good reason not to come here would be if you have a great life in the UK-because to give that up and come for the sunshine etc can be extremely costly and not just financially. We all dream of a better life and that nearly always involves better weather but you cannot simply pick everything up and bring it to the sunshine.

The vastness/isolation is also an issue and one that you cannot can your head around until you experience it. For me it's like being underwater.....

Guest siamsusie
now look Susie your just being meen!

whingers would be very useful in a war situation. For a start they wouldnt' go on the front line until the'yre gear had been sorted, and they mightt even be able to convinse the leaders to stop the fitting

:elvis:I have woken up mean Doms! roll up your sleeves and start baking, wash out your medicine bottles! buy some games and I mean board games Dominic:mask: instead of watching " your dreadful TV or distasteful radio programmes! Get back to mother earth and teach your kiddies..... sorry you asked now!:laugh:

Guest guest36762
:elvis:I have woken up mean Doms! roll up your sleeves and start baking, wash out your medicine bottles! buy some games and I mean board games Dominic:mask: instead of watching " your dreadful TV or distasteful radio programmes! Get back to mother earth and teach your kiddies..... sorry you asked now!:laugh:

Huh?

Mean and indesyferabull

Guest proud2beaussie
The vastness/isolation is also an issue and one that you cannot can your head around until you experience it. For me it's like being underwater.....

Connie you make a fair point,but not everyone who comes here feels that it is isolated,my girlfriend has been coming here for a long time and even though I live in a rural area 300km's from Melbourne she doesn't feel isolated at all,in fact she loves the fact that we are in a rural town where she has got to know the locals,I'm not for one minute dissing your expereinces connie but your comment about giving up a good life in the UK for sunshine maybe ignores the fact that many people actually have a better life here than they had in the UK,and they have sunshine as a bonus.

The thing that strikes me is that threads like this one ignore one major fact,that is that everyone is different,and what the OP sees as a downside to Australia others may see as a positive and that's why I find these endless threads comparing Australia to the UK tiresome,I happen to love Australia,I don't love the UK but I accept absolutely that others will disagree with me,and if a few people stopped posting threads about the downsides of EITHER country then maybe PIO could get back to being what it is supposed to be-a source of information that combines reasoned opinion with actual facts.

Guest TA01085

I don't think anyone is seeking utipopia and as the previous poster stated there are plenty of Adverts for Oz to sugest something close. a whinger you may call me but I see it as putting a balance on things so that potential emigratees get an honest opinion that there are some down sides. For instance I have seen quotes about no or lack of crime, I think you will find the figures do not match this "perception" of Oz

Guest TA01085
Connie you make a fair point,but not everyone who comes here feels that it is isolated,my girlfriend has been coming here for a long time and even though I live in a rural area 300km's from Melbourne she doesn't feel isolated at all,in fact she loves the fact that we are in a rural town where she has got to know the locals,I'm not for one minute dissing your expereinces connie but your comment about giving up a good life in the UK for sunshine maybe ignores the fact that many people actually have a better life here than they had in the UK,and they have sunshine as a bonus.

The thing that strikes me is that threads like this one ignore one major fact,that is that everyone is different,and what the OP sees as a downside to Australia others may see as a positive and that's why I find these endless threads comparing Australia to the UK tiresome,I happen to love Australia,I don't love the UK but I accept absolutely that others will disagree with me,and if a few people stopped posting threads about the downsides of EITHER country then maybe PIO could get back to being what it is supposed to be-a source of information that combines reasoned opinion with actual facts.

Fcats are:

1. It's not always Sunny

2. discussions at ex pat meet up groups revolve around how difficult it is to make friends

3. From what I have seen most people travel a lot further to work

4. In Queensland anyway there is more red tape thape that you can imagine

5. Groceries are more expensive

6. The roads are chocked with Trucks (lorries)

7. The place is full of Boguns

Guest proud2beaussie

I don't see there is any "balance" in posting a thread asking about reasons NOT to move to Australia,perhaps if you had started a thread giving YOUR opinions and asking for others OPINIONS,good and bad then you would have got a reasoned debate,negative threads get negative responses,and there have been plenty of threads posted recently about the subject anyway,use the search facility and you will find plenty of threads giving the downside.

Archived