Reasons not to come to Oz

Guest TA01085

Guest proud2beaussie
Fcats are:

1. It's not always Sunny

2. discussions at ex pat meet up groups revolve around how difficult it is to make friends

3. From what I have seen most people travel a lot further to work

4. In Queensland anyway there is more red tape thape that you can imagine

5. Groceries are more expensive

6. The roads are chocked with Trucks (lorries)

7. The place is full of Boguns

NO ,again you confuse YOUR OPINION with 'facts" it is NOT a fact that Queensland is full of boguns,it is not a fact that groceries are more expensive,I can quickly dispel that myth,it is not a fact that most people travel a lot further to work,in fact most of what you claim are "facts" are actually not facts at all,they are YOUR experiences,the only "fact" you actually got right was that it's not always sunny,the others can be debated.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siamsusie
I imagine some people will find things to complain about in Heaven when they get there too !

I will never know:angel_happy_face_ha:angel_happy_face_ha

Guest proud2beaussie

Ok,let's take each of your points in turn and work out what's what.

1. It's not always Sunny
Absolutely correct,it isn't ALWAYS sunny,I haven't seen anything written anywhere claiming that it is,but

if you have then I agree that is a false claim.

2. discussions at ex pat meet up groups revolve around how difficult it is to make friends
I have NO DOUBT that there are ex pats that find it difficult to make friends and I have no doubt that

the issue would be discussed at ex pat groups,but I know many ex pats who have made plenty of new friends here,I feel sorry for you if you have found it hard to make friends here,I wish that was not the case for you.

From what I have seen most people travel a lot further to work
I'm aware of many people from the UK who used to have a long commute into work in London who now either work for themselves or who have a 30 minute trip to work and 30 minutes back home.

I'm sure that there are people who are commuting more because of the higher house prices here meaning that people have to move further out to find affordable housing,but that's not the case for everyone.

4. In Queensland anyway there is more red tape thape that you can imagine
Yep there is red tape in Queensland,but try setting up a restaurant in the UK as I did a year ago and you will know what bureaucracy and red tape is all about,it happens everywhere but it's not an excuse not to move here imo.
5. Groceries are more expensive
Yep prices have gone up here over the last few years but I spend enough time in the UK to know that

the difference between prices there and here is almost negligable,some things are more expensive others are cheaper,but I don't know anyone who would be moving to Australia on the promise of cheaper groceries.

6. The roads are chocked with Trucks (lorries)
Yep there are trucks,but the roads are not "chock full of them" anymore than the UK roads are.
7. The place is full of Boguns
That's a generalisation,and a gross one at that,yep there are some "bogans" in Australia,just as there are some chavs in the UK,but I would not tell someone that the UK is "full" of chavs,because that would be wrong,there are some bogans in Australia,big deal,not a reason not to move here in my opinion.

Note that the above are all my OPINIONS,I cannot claim them as facts anymore than you can truthfully claim yours are,facts are facts,opinions are opinions,it's important to know the difference and people should weigh up both when they make a decision about whether to move here or not,they should not rely solely on anyones opinion,either mine or yours,and they shouldn't just look at facts either,it's a balancing act and people need to look at lots of things before they decide one way or the other.

Guest guest36762
NO ,again you confuse YOUR OPINION with 'facts" it is NOT a fact that Queensland is full of boguns,it is not a fact that groceries are more expensive,I can quickly dispel that myth,it is not a fact that most people travel a lot further to work,in fact most of what you claim are "facts" are actually not facts at all,they are YOUR experiences,the only "fact" you actually got right was that it's not always sunny,the others can be debated.

in the words of another poster on another thread it's 'Groundhog Day'.

I sympathise with OP who obviously has had enough of living here...that's fair enough in my view. However, by posting in this way they are inviting 'the curse of the PIO leper' from those posters that really hate to see negative views on Australia, and can be quite aggressive in their responses.

I think we all need to lighten up, and OP maybe try injecting a bit of humour into your posts as this acts as good Trojan Horse to get your voice heard

God what waffle!

Guest proud2beaussie

Dom,

Nobody 'hates" to see negative posts about Australia at all,certainly not me,all I ask is that people stop posting THEIR OPINION as FACT,because that is unfair,if I posted that "The UK is full of chavs" would you not be slightly put off by that? because that is simply not true,there are chavs in the UK,in some places quite a lot of them but I haven't seen one chav in the town where Jo lives so the place isn't "full" of them,and that's the problem I have with posts like the above,they confuse their opinions with their experiences and make wild generalisations which does them no credit whatsoever.

Guest guest36762
Dom,

Nobody 'hates" to see negative posts about Australia at all,certainly not me,all I ask is that people stop posting THEIR OPINION as FACT,because that is unfair,if I posted that "The UK is full of chavs" would you not be slightly put off by that? because that is simply not true,there are chavs in the UK,in some places quite a lot of them but I haven't seen one chav in the town where Jo lives so the place isn't "full" of them,and that's the problem I have with posts like the above,they confuse their opinions with their experiences and make wild generalisations which does them no credit whatsoever.

Nige,

if you said that about chavs, I wouln't be in the slightest bit offended, partly cos I can see it for what it is (a generalisation:shocked:), and I'd actually bit quite glad, cos I don't live there anymore

Guest proud2beaussie
Nige,

if you said that about chavs, I wouln't be in the slightest bit offended, partly cos I can see it for what it is (a generalisation:shocked:), and I'd actually bit quite glad, cos I don't live there anymore

Dom genarlisations don't offend me in the slightest ,in fact I'm not really bothered by them but I do get slightly concerned that some people may be looking at PIO for some guidance about the decision to move or not and that they may have trouble sorting out the wheat from the chaff when it comes to life in Australia.

Connie you make a fair point,but not everyone who comes here feels that it is isolated,my girlfriend has been coming here for a long time and even though I live in a rural area 300km's from Melbourne she doesn't feel isolated at all,in fact she loves the fact that we are in a rural town where she has got to know the locals,I'm not for one minute dissing your expereinces connie but your comment about giving up a good life in the UK for sunshine maybe ignores the fact that many people actually have a better life here than they had in the UK,and they have sunshine as a bonus.

The thing that strikes me is that threads like this one ignore one major fact,that is that everyone is different,and what the OP sees as a downside to Australia others may see as a positive and that's why I find these endless threads comparing Australia to the UK tiresome,I happen to love Australia,I don't love the UK but I accept absolutely that others will disagree with me,and if a few people stopped posting threads about the downsides of EITHER country then maybe PIO could get back to being what it is supposed to be-a source of information that combines reasoned opinion with actual facts.

I still believe that if you are giving up a really good life in the UK to come to the sunshine-there will be struggles. Of course not everyone has a really good life in the UK and things can only improve but for those of us who had a great life there it's a huge trade off. As you know we came here for the family but even that isn't enough to keep us here. Yes we are all different and we all want differnt things but some people really think that Oz is like the UK with sun.

Guest proud2beaussie

Fair enough Connie,you make some good points,but I don't think the majority of people who come here do so just for the sunshine.

Good luck with your journey home.

Oh dear are we back on the same old argument again? Can't we all just agree to disagree and move on, I'd (almost) rather discuss Shark's nether regions again than go over all this old ground again.

In summary, some love it here, some don't and others are indifferent, vive la difference. :jiggy:

Sue.

Guest guest36762
Dom genarlisations don't offend me in the slightest ,in fact I'm not really bothered by them but I do get slightly concerned that some people may be looking at PIO for some guidance about the decision to move or not and that they may have trouble sorting out the wheat from the chaff when it comes to life in Australia.

wheat from the chav?

Guest guest36762

In summary, some love it here, some don't and others are indifferent, vive la difference. :jiggy:

Sue.

but where's the fun in that Sue?:wink:

Guest proud2beaussie

I'd (almost) rather discuss Shark's nether regions again than go over all this old ground again.
Geez Sue I knew you were a bit strange but really!:biggrin::biggrin::wink:

What is a chav ?

They're the ones taking lie detector tests and brawling on the Jeremy Kyle show. I mentioned this on another thread, but several chavs together are collectively known as a 'chavalanche'.

In the absence of any Burberry emoticons, they look a bit like this :jimlad: but with less teeth

Hope this helps:hug:

Sue x

Guest girlwizz99

It is very remote and culturally a little backward compared to Europe. The TV is terrible, food is very expensive and a bit odd. The racism can be repugnant... However, the sunshine and the beaches are tremendous, there is some fantastic wildlife and there are enough Brits over here to make plenty of friends if you can't find any sophisticated locals!

Guest TA01085

As I have been asked to liten up a bit I would comment that perhaps you should have said "wheat from the Chav".

I would also point out that quite a few people are on this site asking for advice and as such the reply is usually based on ones opinions with the "factual" part being based on when they have found to be the case. For example my experinece for where I live (Brisbane) there is a large number of big slow trucks on the road holding up traffic, many more that I have ever experienced in the UK.

Guest guest36762
It is very remote and culturally a little backward compared to Europe. The TV is terrible, food is very expensive and a bit odd. The racism can be repugnant... However, the sunshine and the beaches are tremendous, there is some fantastic wildlife and there are enough Brits over here to make plenty of friends if you can't find any sophisticated locals!

Hi girlwizz

I remember you! have you found that wine yet?

Guest chloew

A reason not to come to Oz is if you like travelling round Europe then your future travels will be an expensive hobby. Of course you have Asia, NZ and the Pacific Islands close by which is a bonus. The flights from OZ van be very expensive, I am a travel agent and was very surprised by the differences in flight prices from when I worked in London.

Archived