Is it really hard to find pet friendly rental?

Guest BeverleyR

Guest BeverleyR

We'll be heading to Adelaide in the new year - just wading through quotes and bumpf after finally reaching a decision on dates and fixing it at work to have a career break - and someone I know told me it's really difficult to get a rental where the landlord allows pets and that you have to find, buy and move in during quarantine period - is that really true?

Also anyone know what the minimum rental contract is and any good letting agents, I've heard TJ Hooker are good but are they the only one?

Guest Alexxxxx

awww if you find out, please let me know. obviously we want to rent when we first move out there but we want to take our cat. she's 6 years old (almost 7 by the time we go) so she just sleeps most of the time and wouldnt be trouble.. but i guess no ones going to believe that :-s

if you find out anything, let me know, i'd really appreciate it.

thank you

Hi, We are currently living in Australia and our dog is coming to joing us in a couple of months. It can be hard to find pet friendly rentals but most houses will consider pets on applications. Go to www.realestate.com.au - do a search on the type of houses you are looking for and then contact the real estate agents. Do not use the pet friendly search as most listings that allow pets still do not show as pet friendly for some reason.

If it is a house and does not say NO PETS then pets will usually be considered.

Rental periods are usually 6-12 months but the rental process here is quite different and you need to submit a rental application with references and 100 points of ID. The best things is also to include photos and references for your pet as well. Also include a personal letter about yourselves and how you will look after your pet whislt they are living in the property.

Good luck

Hi

I am not in Adelaide but from what I've read on here rules are pretty similar.

- If you can bring some pet references, be it from friends who have looked after your pets or the catterys/kennels etc.

- If financially possible offer a pet bond on top of your normal bond, this can reassure agents and owners that your pets won't wreck the house.

- Even if a property is advertised as NO Pets , still ask the agent if you would be able to keep one.

Having pets does narrow your choices somewhat but it shouldn't make renting impossible.You dont say what or how many pets you have , but it may be worth knowing that most councils place a restriction on the number of animals allowed per property. (standard around here for a bog standard 4 bed house on 1000sq mtr plot is 2 dogs and 1 cat.)

Cal x

Guest danyallface

We are heading to Sydney next Feb and will also be heading over with two dogs so got all this to come! I have been looking at www.gumtree.com as they tend to be private rents and more open to pets.

We are heading to Sydney next Feb and will also be heading over with two dogs so got all this to come! I have been looking at www.gumtree.com as they tend to be private rents and more open to pets.

Hi

I lived in sydney for the past 20yrs and have a dog always lived on the north shore and we rented for a while with a dog and have plenty of friends who did too , dont be put off if it doesnt say pets allowed - ask anyway

Guest nicandchris
Hi

I lived in sydney for the past 20yrs and have a dog always lived on the north shore and we rented for a while with a dog and have plenty of friends who did too , dont be put off if it doesnt say pets allowed - ask anyway

wow im find ing this a bit scary, we are heading over to live in Adelaide next August and am intending to bring all our four dogs. Although we want to buy eventually we would prob have to rent to begin with (my partner doesnt want to go to aussie at all if he has to leave his dogs).

Guest danyallface
Hi

Yeah we're looking at Northern Beaches area....I lived in Sydney about 5yrs ago for a short time and loved this area. My friends that live out there have pets and live in rental props.

Like u said I think we're going to look at anything suitable regardless if pet friendly is on there or not and just ask.

They'll prob only be in the house when we're home anyway as we're thinking of building a kennel and covered area for them outside when we're not in.

Guest BeverleyR

Thanks guys for all the helpful advice!

Our pooch is a scottie, so he's only little, and very houseproud!

In terms of references, presumably that means for us as well as the dog (chances are his will be better than ours :biggrin:), this might sound dumb but what kind of references?

We will stay with rellys when we first get there - once you find somewhere, is it a quick thing to sign & move in?

Yes you will need references for you and the dog.

Ideally references will be from previous landlords - for both you and your dog.

If you have not rented for a long time in the UK ask friends to write a reference recommending you and saying that your dog is well behaved. Include photos of your dog.

Also if your dog has ever stayed in boarding ask them to write a reference as well.

I would try to get 3 references for you and 3 for your dog. Also write the owners a personal letter including information about yourselves and your dog.

The notice period on properties over here is only two weeks so often when you view houses they are available immediately. It will work in your favour if you can move in straight away as then the owner loses less rent.

Good luck

Yes Pets is an option with some landlords, we have brought our small dog with us, and our present landlord is happy.We are moving up into the hills next week and the new landlord is happy that we have our small dog with us.We have other family over here now, and they have had no problems with their pets.Some Agencies though will literally 'shut the door' on you if you ask about your dog.

At the end of the day its the landlords decision not the agencies though about pets.So you can only ask the agent to ask them, but some agents just stick to the rules.

Many specify that the dog is kept outside, and sometimes like mentioned before a bond against pet damage is required.But not always.

By the way, Shipping your pet over is a very traumatic process for any cat/dog..Our dog has gone deaf since arrriving in WA.The quarantine kennels are not very nice nor are the animals catered for well.With only 3 1/2 hour visits allowed each week that is the only time the dogs get out of the caged pens.

Good luck

Guest danyallface

One question about a "pet bond" - how much would landlords generally expect over and above the normal months bond (is it a month??).

Also references, are dogs are only young and since we've had them we've been renting off family....our dogs are good but surely a reference from my other halfs Dad might look at bit suss!

Hi,

We are in Melbourne with a dog and didnt have a problem at all .. There were one or two advertised as no pets, but they were very far and few between.

We were up against quite a few people for our house and we put down we had a dog, but it wasnt a problem at all.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BeverleyR

Thanks for that, we have always owned our house and have never rented, will they accept references from family? Fergie has never stayed in a kennel either, he's always gone on holiday to his Grandma's house so again will only have something from her - I take it if we dont have anything we will struggle?

Hi,

We didnt have any references at all, but i guess it depends where you are going. Our house is quite big and cost $550 per week, so its not that its a dump or anything.! We were never once asked about references written, we just had to name two/three people who WOULD reference, and i think that they were contacted by phone.

Good luck

Elaine

I read a lot about how difficult it is to find a rental with pets (we have cats). However I did not find this to be the case at all. We asked would it be OK for loads (10 -15) places before we went to a viewing and only one or two said it was a problem. And one of these said dogs ok but not cats. We have now got a rental and definitely do not feel like we compromised because of having cats.

Guest Hearne_Family

We are in Melbourne, dont know if this will be of any help to you but we have a pet friendly rental, we got a cat when we arrived and checked with the landlord 1st and he was fine with it.

Terry.

Archived