You know there's a problem with childhood obesity when.....

Guest guest36762

Guest guest36762

You take your 4 year old to an indoor play centre, and as an ADULT you're in fear of being crushed by a toddler. Then there's the bogan parents to contend with. Luckily both father and son made it home unharmed

:biglaugh:

ive recently sat and stared in amazement at a 5 yr old demolish a maccas kids meal with extra 2 cheese burgers and a wrap, while the parent had a coffe and ate the fruit bag:eek:...............poor little bugger

I hate to ask, but this work 'bogan' keeps coming up. I REALLY want to know what it means!!! How would you define it??? Is it a manner, or an area you live in, or is. .. . .what, you tell me??? !!!

Jenny

which one?

i refer you back to your original subject

I think its wrong..........feeding your child so much that you can roll them around as their little legs cant carry them.

augustus gloop was one of them......

'steps off soap box and exits.................................'

ok, so NOW really know what a bogan is! Thanks Kelly!

Glad to hear the child you mentioned tried a nice wrap!!! Shame about the cheeeese burgers though! lol

One of the reasons is because healthy food is expensive (in the UK) so I'm sure a lot of mums instead go to Iceland and other places where it's easy and cheap to buy the ready made meals and food that's on offer (it's usually crisps and chocolate) - (my mum does this sometimes, I refuse to eat it, especially if it's curry). And also when parents can't control kids they give them sweets and junk food to shut them up.

yep, it is true that eating well is expensive, especially when it comes to kids because they are so fussy. You can't just by apples etc. Mine do eat cheaper fruit, but to replace the cheese burgers, lollies etc it has to be melons and the like which are pricey. However, there is no excuse for eating 2 cheeseburgers etc when there is a major weight issue. I agree, it is child cruelty and that child stands no chance as he/she grows up

Guest One Hour Photo
yep, it is true that eating well is expensive,

....no it isn't, that's a myth.

Numerous people (Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall is one) have debunked the 'eating well is to expensive’ myth, but people still choose to believe it.

If people stay away from take-aways, fast food franchises, chocolate, biscuit and other junk aisles and buy real food, they would see how much money they can save.

Even if it was true shouldn't people consider if they can afford to provide a healthy environment for their children before they have them.

You Tube now has Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution in America series up. The garbage in those boxes is not food - its empty calories without any nutritional value.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Parents who make their kids obese should be prosecuted:policeman:

Its form of cruelty imo.

stupid+silly+funny+laws.gif

Guest guest36762
:biglaugh:

ive recently sat and stared in amazement at a 5 yr old demolish a maccas kids meal with extra 2 cheese burgers and a wrap, while the parent had a coffe and ate the fruit bag:eek:...............poor little bugger

BTW, how did you know the child was 5?

I have worked out a reliable method of ageing ozzie kids

either a) assess their age by size and subtract 3 (eg you think 5; kid is 2)

or b) listen to their speech development and add 3 (eg you think 2, kid is 5)

works every time

that is very funny! (The post by harpodom)

One hour photo person, Eating well is expensive. I'm not saying that we should feed our kids rubbish because of it though.

BUT, if on a tight budget, fish and chips at $20 for the whole family is cheaper than subway at$35 for the whole family. (Yes, I know I can cook a meal at home for half the price, but when out and about, many families tend to eat out. . . .just making the point that cheap doggy food is cheaper than the healthier alternative in this case)

2 packets of biscuits for 6 dollars goes further than a rock melon for the same price.

Please note, these are NZ prices, it may be different Australia.

A pie is cheaper than a filled sandwich. I would love to hear you examples that are comarative and show otherwise as i am always looking for new ideas!

This is just my opinion and experience.

If there are studies out there that so otherwise...great!

Jenny

Guest guest36762

IMO, fat kids are usually a product of fat parents. its not genetic, its lifestyle...ie lack of bleedin exercise, and too many tim tams. The price of food doesn't come into it. you can throw all the fruit and veg you like at certain people, but they'll still, like pavlovian dogs, waddle off to get another packet of chips. I've also found that obesity seems to be inversely related to mental agility, ie the more sluggish the person mentally, the more likely they are to be fat. funnily enough, living here in Geelong my thought processes have become progressively slower, and I've put on 10kg...so I'm part of problem now!

IMO, fat kids are usually a product of fat parents. its not genetic, its lifestyle...ie lack of bleedin exercise, and too many tim tams. The price of food doesn't come into it. you can throw all the fruit and veg you like at certain people, but they'll still, like pavlovian dogs, waddle off to get another packet of chips. I've also found that obesity seems to be inversely related to mental agility, ie the more sluggish the person mentally, the more likely they are to be fat. funnily enough, living here in Geelong my thought processes have become progressively slower, and I've put on 10kg...so I'm part of problem now!

Hmmmmm pavlova nom nom

Guest guest36762

and look at me!

This is me on my first beach trip in 2008

BradPitt01.jpg

This was me yesterday

fat_man1.jpg

OK so I mite of lied abowt 10kg

Junk food should be taxed like cigarettes and alcohol. I suspect obesity kills more and is a bigger strain on the health care system. That said I do not accept healthy food costs more, I have worked with people leaving prison and young people leaving care teaching them how to cook healthy food cheaply.

And I agree it's abuse to over feed kids.

Sitting writing this by the pool whilst DS pays forward for the ice cream he'll get when his lesson finishes!

Guest guest17520

....no it isn't, that's a myth.

Numerous people (Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall is one) have debunked the 'eating well is to expensive’ myth, but people still choose to believe it.

If people stay away from take-aways, fast food franchises, chocolate, biscuit and other junk aisles and buy real food, they would see how much money they can save.

Even if it was true shouldn't people consider if they can afford to provide a healthy environment for their children before they have them.

You Tube now has Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution in America series up. The garbage in those boxes is not food - its empty calories without any nutritional value.

I agree with you, healthy food is cheap compared with eating fast food.

We have always tried to feed my two and a half year old daughter with fruit and vegetables but at her age she likes to say "no" to pretty much everything except the bright coloured sweet packets that are conveniently located at eye level for her in the supermarket. Try telling a two year old that something that good looking is bad for her!

Although the ultimate responsibility is down to the parent and no one else is to blame if you let your kid become obese, the supermarkets/commercials on TV/manufacturers of sweets also need to do their bit to help out.

No, buy the expensive healthy food and she will gobble it up. . . I betcha. Mine do!

But choosing to feed children good, yummy, inviting healthy food that can compete with junk food (in a child's eyes) is a little more expensive in my view, but more importantly, takes TIME to prepare, and this is where the expense often comes in to. . .as wall as the cost of high quality tasty ingredients. However, as I have said before I am happy to provide this without a second thought for my children cause i love them heaps! But it is an ongoing committment and expense. Would be so much easier to just chuck them a luch that is a king size bag of chips and a bottle of coke all for well under $2.50 than making filled rolls and homemade muffins and expensive tropical fruit - a luch that comes to about $5 per child, and takes time to prepare.

Sorry, rich, just read back over that. I am NOT implying that you don't love your daughter - clearly you do. I can sooooo relate to the battle of the wills with the colourful packages!!! Just saying, that i eventually got to the point and said, fine, I will spend a FORTUNE on food every week so that we can compete with all that junk. Eventually every parent makes that decision. With children these days, it's either cheap junk food or expensive versions of healthy food - not cheap versions of healthy food like we all had. You should see the variety of food items that kids get in their lunch boxes these days! My answer is ok, I will pay anything, as long as it is healthy then!

Take care

jenny

Archived