Onshore spouse visa - do you get a bridging visa?

Guest Cimbom

Guest Cimbom

Hi,

I was just wondering, if we apply for an onshore spouse visa, will my partner get a Bridging Visa if he is currently on a student visa? He is considering taking a short break from his studies but wants to stay in Australia while the spouse visa is being processed.

Hi,

I was just wondering, if we apply for an onshore spouse visa, will my partner get a Bridging Visa if he is currently on a student visa? He is considering taking a short break from his studies but wants to stay in Australia while the spouse visa is being processed.

A bridging visa A will be granted but will not take effect until the current visa ceases. Be VERY careful about how it ceases.

Guest Cimbom

Oh no. What if his uni cancels it due to non-enrolment? Studying is very expensive and we thought 1 semester off would help us a lot, if we could get a bridging visa.

This is a tricky area where students can fall foul of their visa conditions.

If you apply for an onshore visa from a student visa, you will receive a bridging visa.

However, this bridging visa will only come into effect once the current student visa expires. As such you must continue to meet the visa conditions of the student visa until the new visa is granted.

Guest Cimbom

What happens if the applicant doesn't meet the requirements of the student visa? Although we will definitely try to meet them, it would be nice to know what would happen in case.

surely there is a way to cancel your student visa properly to go onto the bridging visa , my girlfriend and i have a meeting to lodge partner visa next week , her college are gonna start barking soon about next years fee $14000 which we dont have but she meets all the criteria for a partner visa ????? !!!!!! i thought it was all good till i read this thread !!!!

I thought the latest visa cancelled out the current visa. I was on a tourist visa a few years ago and was waiting for my sponsorship visa to go through. I had applied on the wrong form (the form which DIAC had told me to use!) and was told that because it had been refused my tourist visa had also been cancelled but I would be given a bridging visa so I could re-apply on the correct form and remain legally in the country. I don't know if this is the same for a student visa but I would write and tell immigration what you are planning to do and state your reasons why.

OSV applied 24/2/2010, medicals and police checks req 26/2/2010, medicals and police checks sent 26/3/2010, another police check req 5/4/2010, still waiting!!!!

Archived