North Lakes/Kallangur & State school advice please!

Jo&Rich

Hi, we're thinking of moving up to the northside of Brisbane as Richard now has a job based in the CBD, and it's a fair commute every day, (plus with our ping-ponging, house prices on the coast are a bit out of our reach now as we're pretty skint!!)

House prices in Kallangur and surrounding areas seem pretty reasonable, but we don't know too much about the area, and which schools are any good. We would get a rental to start, and I'd like to try and get it in the catchment of a good school to be sure of places.

I'd like one that has before and after school care (for if I ever manage to get a job), hence North Lakes and Kallangur State schools. Does anyone have kids at either school who could comment, or even info about the area would be appreciated? My kids are in Prep and Year 1.

Thanks, Jo :wubclub:

Guest brownfamily
Hi, we're thinking of moving up to the northside of Brisbane as Richard now has a job based in the CBD, and it's a fair commute every day, (plus with our ping-ponging, house prices on the coast are a bit out of our reach now as we're pretty skint!!)

House prices in Kallangur and surrounding areas seem pretty reasonable, but we don't know too much about the area, and which schools are any good. We would get a rental to start, and I'd like to try and get it in the catchment of a good school to be sure of places.

I'd like one that has before and after school care (for if I ever manage to get a job), hence North Lakes and Kallangur State schools. Does anyone have kids at either school who could comment, or even info about the area would be appreciated? My kids are in Prep and Year 1.

Thanks, Jo :wubclub:

Hi Jo,

I don't think I can be too much help as we live about a 30 minute drive away from North Lakes. I know it has a great shopping centre. OH is a bricklayer and does a lot of work down there...I think North Lakes is getting huge!

Sorry, thats all I know.

Good Luck.

Heather

look at petrie/kurwongba houses are reasonable and close to rail /shopping strathpine.15 mins to redcliffe,30 mins to 40 mins bribie is /beginning of sunshine coast. 15 mins to mountains D'Aguilar range

time to cbd by train 30minsxpress 40to45 normal.kurwongba and petrie state schools have a very good name.cant comment on the high schools.petrie and kurwongba are only a little west of kallangur

Morning Hun,

Ok our good friends live here and its where we stayed when we done our recccie so i,ll tell you what i know.

Coming from Pac Pines you,ll like North Lakes theyre very similar we love North Lakes and if we get to Brissy its in the top 3 three to live. It is growing massively and i think still has about 3 years building to go. Shopping centre is fab and has absolutely everything you need from puppies to prawns!!

Theres 2 primary schools the North Lakes primary and the new one just been built up the top of the development cant mind the name (look on stocklands site for NL you may find it) we have friends whose 2 boys are there and say its wonderful. Other friends have their older boys in the North Lakes High School, again say its superb. Theres also The Lakes College private school prep-12 and has a good name.

Theres several other private schools around all with excellent names, sorry not sure about state schools.

Areas, well im sure they all have good and bad points but Kallangur is ok not the most wonderful but ok, although we would definately rate it above NL, having said that when we were on our reccie friends told us to avoid Caboolture but we went up had a peek around and in our opinion it was actually ok so eaksy peaksys i supppose. Murrumba downs is also nice so is Petrie. Mind theres no train line at NL if you need it for getting into CBD if you get work. Kevs maybe a good one to ask aswell as hes 10min down the road at Bracken Ridge.

Also slightly closer into the city is Warner, Eatons Hill, Chermside these also seemed nice to us and friends recommended them.

Not sure what else to add except we really like NL and if you decide on there give me a shout i,ll put you in touch with friends if you want. Also mango Hill which is the suburb NL is in is just as nice only the main road seperates them, Headstart Homestay on here lives there drop him (dale) a line he,ll help we stayed with him and his wife.

Good luck

Kelly x

Thanks everyone for your replies. We have spent a fair bit of time looking around most of the areas mentioned, but looking around and actually living there are very different!

One of the main reasons for the possible move is financial; with only one income, and not much left in the way of savings, if we are to buy and feel more settled we may be hard pushed on the Gold Coast.

Heather, Richard was a brickie too, but now works for Queensland Rail as a guard; good train links would be handy as it's free for him! He will be travelling off peak though (2am starts before the trains run etc), so the rush hour traffic is not as big a concern.

My biggest concern is moving the kids to a new school again, feel like a terrible mother :(

Thanks again, appreciate the time taken to reply,

Jo x

Archived