So many going home ?

Guest chris955

Yes, I recognised the admonishment meted out to others by those who puit great emphasis on spelling, and decided to mend my ways. I can't say the same for the posters who think Aussies are "scruffy" though..........I prefer to be frowned on and looked down on rather that dip my hand in my pocket to buy clothes that although, they may "maketh the man", are far from practical............and to be honest............have me looking like mutton dressed as lamb............baaaaaaah :wink:

kev

I never think of you as mutton Kev, sausage maybe but never mutton, glad to see your avatar back, sausages always know how to have a good time. By the way I am at home today with jeans on too, scruff:jiggy:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"There seems to be a huge amount of misinformation about this country and how easy everything is."

Totally disagree. There are people on here that have decided not to make the move because of the negativity that they have read on this forum. The info is out there to see that it wont be easy but it is up to the person to look for that info and research it.

JOHN

Guest guest30038
"There seems to be a huge amount of misinformation about this country and how easy everything is."

Totally disagree. There are people on here that have decided not to make the move because of the negativity that they have read on this forum.

That's what worries me John. It's sad because there are some huge generalisations that simply don't apply in different states/suburbs/employments and these can come from both sides of the camp, so it isn't always the negative posts that give the wrong impression.

One of the things that irks me most is the emphasis put on "lack of culture" and now we're even getting new posters (surprise, surprise) :rolleyes: emphasising scruffy dress. ignorance and bad manners as being part and parcel of what you have to "endure" if you come here. This just isn't the case in Australia as a whole.............difference in dress/personal choice should not be something that one judges any person by, let alone a nation.

I remember when I first joined that one of the first posts that I read was a complaint about "bring a plate". Some (Poms) thought it was rude to ask others to do so...........WTF? you're in Oz.........it's what Aussies do :yes: It does not mean that they are rude or tight arsed, just practical in ensuring that everyone gets what they want, and enough of it. When in Rome etc.........or else, don't go to bloody Rome if you don't want to do as they do! That said, I have been entertained more times where it wasn't fetch a plate, and that too was for a reason. I just find it all so bloody petty that someone thinks that being asked to "fetch a plate" needs to be used to emphasise a negative about Oz. I mean.........don't friggin' go to a barbie if you don't like the idea of feeding yourself........why should some bugger else have to?.........it really is a big deal isn't it?...................NOT! get a life FFS!

Jeeeez, I'm peed off today :yes::arghh:

kev

Guest guest36187
you're in Oz.........it's what Aussies do

Thats the bottom line people. When you come to Oz, do as Aussies do!

Take on their culture and their ways.

Enjoy their patriotism, watch the sport, laugh with them and have the ability to laugh at yourself.

Realise that bring a plate is the norm!

Realise that the lifestyle is different here. Aussies will come round for a bbq and be gone at 8pm. You didnt do anything wrong, its their way!

REmember that public holidays are just that here. The world stops! What a pleasure to not be able to shop on a public holiday! I love it!

Remember that you are in a different country. All Aussies do is drive on the same side and speak the lingo......after that its all different!

Edited to add: If you are wanting the UK style of things....Why did you leave?

Guest proud2beaussie
now we're even getting new posters (surprise, surprise) :rolleyes: emphasising scruffy dress. ignorance and bad manners as being part and parcel of what you have to "endure" if you come here.
Don't worry about them Kev,that particular poster hasn't been back,probably too busy in the "boutique",I won't hold my breath waiting for them either.

As for scruffy dress,today I hit a new low,I wore the same pair of socks that I wore yesterday,yes it's shocking I know,usually I put on a brand new pair every day but I couldn't be bothered today.

I think I need help before I start wearing them for three days.:biggrin::biggrin:

Guest chris955

I have had enough of this **** from this particular member, please mods will you tell him to STFU.

Guest guest30038
You're not leaving are you ? :wink:

I don't have a choice, with a wife and kids that love it here. Perhaps if those who have similar, were to simply accept that they have to stay here for the benefit of family, and as such, attempted to discipline themselves into seeing the best and not the worst, if they recognised that they are doing what's best for others and took pride in that, as opposed to dwelling on what they can't have, then their lives may be a whole lot better. It's not kidding ones self, it's simply recognising that you make the best of a bad job, or go under mentally.

I miss the scenery/traditions/history/culture/sons/grandchildren terribly, but I accept that without directing my "pain", through the denigration of Australians or Australia. I made a choice, I have to live with it, and in so doing, I make the best of it. Australia has been good to my family, and therefore to me, though at times, my heart wishes to return to the UK...........there, I've said it :biggrin:

kev

Guest guest30038
Don't worry about them Kev,that particular poster hasn't been back,probably too busy in the "boutique",I won't hold my breath waiting for them either.

As for scruffy dress,today I hit a new low,I wore the same pair of socks that I wore yesterday,yes it's shocking I know,usually I put on a brand new pair every day but I couldn't be bothered today.

I think I need help before I start wearing them for three days.:biggrin::biggrin:

I throw my underpants at the wall and if they don't stick, I wear 'em for another week..........that should get the calvin klein/prada mob going :wink:

Guest guest30038
I was actually talking about leaving the forum but thanks anyway. :biggrin:

Nope, since joining I've had the pleasure in helping a number of PIO members settle here. I would not have met them in person otherwise and they have made me feel better about myself (more useful) than I have felt in years, so you see, I'm here purely for selfish reasons :biggrin:

kev

Guest proud2beaussie

Ok,for the benefit of anyone who does not understand what heyyu is referring to chris955 was formerly known as Boa,he requested the administrator to delete that account and that was done however he rejoined the forum under his present username some time later.

At this point in time as far as I am aware his only username is the current one-chris955.

It is not against the rules to close an account and rejoin under a new name and therefore he has done nothing wrong and although I frequently disagree with his views chris955 is entitled to be treated with the same respect accorded to other members.

That is the end of the matter,please do not continue with this line of discussion.

That's what worries me John. It's sad because there are some huge generalisations that simply don't apply in different states/suburbs/employments and these can come from both sides of the camp, so it isn't always the negative posts that give the wrong impression.

One of the things that irks me most is the emphasis put on "lack of culture" and now we're even getting new posters (surprise, surprise) :rolleyes: emphasising scruffy dress. ignorance and bad manners as being part and parcel of what you have to "endure" if you come here. This just isn't the case in Australia as a whole.............difference in dress/personal choice should not be something that one judges any person by, let alone a nation.

I remember when I first joined that one of the first posts that I read was a complaint about "bring a plate". Some (Poms) thought it was rude to ask others to do so...........WTF? you're in Oz.........it's what Aussies do :yes: It does not mean that they are rude or tight arsed, just practical in ensuring that everyone gets what they want, and enough of it. When in Rome etc.........or else, don't go to bloody Rome if you don't want to do as they do! That said, I have been entertained more times where it wasn't fetch a plate, and that too was for a reason. I just find it all so bloody petty that someone thinks that being asked to "fetch a plate" needs to be used to emphasise a negative about Oz. I mean.........don't friggin' go to a barbie if you don't like the idea of feeding yourself........why should some bugger else have to?.........it really is a big deal isn't it?...................NOT! get a life FFS!

Jeeeez, I'm peed off today :yes::arghh:

kev

Gee Kev, don't go blowing a pfoofer valve or something !

Guest guest30038
Gee Kev, don't go blowing a pfoofer valve or something !

Sorry olly but I'm getting really peed off. This is a forum to help those migrating and returning, folk who are making possibly the biggest decision of their lives, and although I recognise other folk's perceptions/experience may differ from mine, to warn potential migrants that there is no culture here, that we dress "shabbily", that crime is as bad as the Uk is seriously plssing me off. Gross generalisations, about both the Uk and Oz as a whole, benefit no-one other than posters with an agenda to satisfy and their own axe to grind. FFS. Ones experiences may not be the experiences of others. Why don't posters have the honesty to say that, instead of coming down on both countries as if it was the same all over?

kev...still peed off.

Guest chris955

I can understand what you are saying but I think it is fair to say that in the example you gave below that crime is as prevalent in this country as in the UK. Why should it piss you off if it is true ?

that crime is as bad as the Uk is seriously plssing me off.

Guest guest30038
I can understand what you are saying but I think it is fair to say that in the example you gave below that crime is as prevalent in this country as in the UK. Why should it piss you off if it is true ?

Because, quite simply, we were burgled 4 times in 2 years prior to coming to Oz and in 15 yrs here, we haven't heard or felt, boo from a goose (so to speak). You know as well as I do, that a large proportion of crime in the Uk is visited upon a certain socio-economic class in urban society. The vast majority of crime here takes place in inner city, and to compare crime rates when speaking to folk who are likely to inhabit areas where those crimes aren't commited, is to give them a fals impression of their likelihood of safety here. That is not a "fair and balanced view" but merely an attempt to justify to yourself, whilst giving a false impresiion to others, another thing that is wrong with Oz.

kev

Because, quite simply, we were burgled 4 times in 2 years prior to coming to Oz and in 15 yrs here, we haven't heard or felt, boo from a goose (so to speak). You know as well as I do, that a large proportion of crime in the Uk is visited upon a certain socio-economic class in urban society. The vast majority of crime here takes place in inner city, and to compare crime rates when speaking to folk who are likely to inhabit areas where those crimes aren't commited, is to give them a fals impression of their likelihood of safety here. That is not a "fair and balanced view" but merely an attempt to justify to yourself, whilst giving a false impresiion to others, another thing that is wrong with Oz.

kev

I used to leave my door open in the Uk and my car unlocked -mind you I tend to do the same here-er not really helping am I....lol

I used to leave my door open in the Uk and my car unlocked -mind you I tend to do the same here-er not really helping am I....lol

I do that Crorina but it probably has more to do with age now lol

Am I part of the sun + surf gang then because I like living here???? Is that how you see those that are happy? Why cant some just accept that some people like it here? I like the UK, I like Australia. Its just that Australia gives me more of what I want!

I dont `think the worst` of the UK. Its my home, I live there for 30 odd years! However my choice to emigrate was to do with what I wanted `for me and my life`. Australia ticked my boxes. I wanted a better standard of living and when I moved here in 2005 thats what it gave me! It still does!

I dont think it is misinformation about australia. Its peoples expectations and they sometimes have them without researching them to see if their expectations are realistic! When I moved here I did no internet research. I had no expectations so I saw everything with fresh eyes. I wasnt disappointed by anything as I had no expected anything to be a certain way!

Some of it certainly is easier but equally there is a lot that isnt! Cost of living has gone up massively since we arrived.

Its not like this in every corner of the UK! A lot depends on where you live and what the area is like! We never had this in the area I lived. Yeah you had kids hanging around but I wouldnt call them foreign gangs!

Its great Europe being close but in 30 years I can count on one hand the times I went...............

What statistics are there of those that are returning? Have you seen any>?

Calm down lol:wink:

Guest Aldo

kev

You must have lived in a dodgy area in the UK, no wonder you love Australia so much.

Burglaries (per capita) by country. Definition, graph and map.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_car_the_percap-crime-car-thefts-per-capita

Guest guest30038

Exactly. It depends where you live. If a member states that they are leaving UK for safety reasons/crime, having lived in a high crime rate area, then it does no good to tell them that they will experience the same levels of crime here, when they are moving to an outer suburb. It is misleading, I may say dishonest for posters to post words such as "if you're leaving the UK to escape crime, forget it, there's as much crime here in Oz". Although that may be true to an extent, the inference that a new migrant will not escape crime is untrue...........location, location, location.........as I get sick and tired of advising folk.

We could have moved to Cornwall where my wife's family is located..........practically zero crime in that particular area other than pub lock ins for the locals. We could also have moved to the top of Mt Nebo here with zero crime levels other than speeding bikers. It's the gross generalisations and lack of care in making things clear to prospective migrants that I find damaging to their hopes and dreams.

kev

Guest chris955

So although the level of crime is about the same in both countries it is not OK to actually let people know that countrywide you will not escape crime ? If someone says there is lots of crime in the UK it doesn't get questioned but if someone says there is equally lots of crime here it is a gross generalisation and misleading ?

Guest guest36187
So although the level of crime is about the same in both countries it is not OK to actually let people know that countrywide you will not escape crime ? If someone says there is lots of crime in the UK it doesn't get questioned but if someone says there is equally lots of crime here it is a gross generalisation and misleading ?

People do get `questioned` regarding the level of crime in the UK. I have seen threads before in regard to this as well as individual posts.

I think what Kev is trying to say is that he understands that there is crime here (and there is) but to say that the levels of crime are the same everywhere here is misleading. After all he said

It depends where you live.

The other post that Kev made sums it up clearer for me/

This is a forum to help those migrating and returning, folk who are making possibly the biggest decision of their lives, and although I recognise other folk's perceptions/experience may differ from mine, to warn potential migrants that there is no culture here, that we dress "shabbily", that crime is as bad as the Uk is seriously plssing me off. Gross generalisations, about both the Uk and Oz as a whole, benefit no-one other than posters with an agenda to satisfy and their own axe to grind.Ones experiences may not be the experiences of others. Why don't posters have the honesty to say that, instead of coming down on both countries as if it was the same all over

Archived