So many going home ?

Guest chris955

Guest chris955

Hopefully the sun and surf gang wont jump on this thread :biggrin: I have noticed just recently more and more posts and threads from people looking at going home, outside of this forum we tend only to hear about people coming this way and not going the other.

My personal feeling is that there will be a renewed positivity in the UK with the election of a Government that seem at least to have the best interests of the country at heart without spending endless amounts of money they don't have. This of course is exactly what we are seeing here with KRudd borrowing something like $700 million a week to pay for his extravagance.

There seems to be a huge amount of misinformation about this country and how easy everything is.

I was speaking to an English friend who currently lives in Germany, he seemed amazed I would be thinking of returning to the UK. He hasn't been back for 6 years but his Dad tells him it's horrible with foreign gangs on every corner armed to the teeth waiting to mug you. After speaking to him for about an hour in the end he was saying 'well being close to Europe will be good for our kids when they are older' and 'it will certainly be much better for my business prospects'. Is it just automatic to think the worst of the UK ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest36187
Hopefully the sun and surf gang wont jump on this thread

Am I part of the sun + surf gang then because I like living here???? Is that how you see those that are happy? Why cant some just accept that some people like it here? I like the UK, I like Australia. Its just that Australia gives me more of what I want!

Is it just automatic to think the worst of the UK ?

I dont `think the worst` of the UK. Its my home, I live there for 30 odd years! However my choice to emigrate was to do with what I wanted `for me and my life`. Australia ticked my boxes. I wanted a better standard of living and when I moved here in 2005 thats what it gave me! It still does!

There seems to be a huge amount of misinformation about this country and how easy everything is.

I dont think it is misinformation about australia. Its peoples expectations and they sometimes have them without researching them to see if their expectations are realistic! When I moved here I did no internet research. I had no expectations so I saw everything with fresh eyes. I wasnt disappointed by anything as I had no expected anything to be a certain way!

Some of it certainly is easier but equally there is a lot that isnt! Cost of living has gone up massively since we arrived.

I was speaking to an English friend who currently lives in Germany, he seemed amazed I would be thinking of returning to the UK. He hasn't been back for 6 years but his Dad tells him it's horrible with foreign gangs on every corner armed to the teeth waiting to mug you. After speaking to him for about an hour in the end he was saying 'well being close to Europe will be good for our kids when they are older'

Its not like this in every corner of the UK! A lot depends on where you live and what the area is like! We never had this in the area I lived. Yeah you had kids hanging around but I wouldnt call them foreign gangs!

Its great Europe being close but in 30 years I can count on one hand the times I went...............

What statistics are there of those that are returning? Have you seen any>?

Guest famousfive

I think when people have emigrated they sometimes get stuck with the idea that they have to justify their move,which leads to a lot of negative comments about their home countries.

For others,they become very negative about Australia once they have decided it's not for them or they they want to go home but are stuck here at the moment for various reasons.

I'm not from the UK myself but have visited many times and lived there for a period of 3yrs.In my humble opinion,it's a country with huge variations.Some areas have a lot of crime,drugs etc..and other areas only experience this by watching TV.Same as here really when you think of it.

I think it's a bit sad when people emigrate and then go on and on about how bad home was.

I left Ireland at a time when it was less than perfect but am still proud of my country and carry that with me here in Oz.

Why waste my time knocking it down when really it was Ireland that afforded me to come here in the first place.

Guest The Pom Queen

I think as it has been said numerous times before the ones who are here and enjoying it don't always have time to come back on to the forum, to say how happy they are. I mean in the grand scheme of things, there are over 30,000 members on this forum and how many post saying that they are very unhappy in Australia, 10, 15, 20, maybe if I am being generous 50, it isn't a lot really is it, when you think of how many make the move?

I personaly think alot of the problem is that people get sucked in with the idea of australia being a paradise where everything is perfect after watching shows like neighbours & home and away they dont do any research and have never stepped onto australian soil to see what its like.If they have its only for a holiday or short period and everything is completely differant when they are here on a perminant basis.

I have also seen the same senario in spain where i lived before i came here alot of people jump into migration to quickly and regret it.It does work for some people but we all cant be the same.

Hopefully the sun and surf gang wont jump on this thread :biggrin: I have noticed just recently more and more posts and threads from people looking at going home, outside of this forum we tend only to hear about people coming this way and not going the other.

My personal feeling is that there will be a renewed positivity in the UK with the election of a Government that seem at least to have the best interests of the country at heart without spending endless amounts of money they don't have. This of course is exactly what we are seeing here with KRudd borrowing something like $700 million a week to pay for his extravagance.

I was speaking to an English friend who currently lives in Germany, he seemed amazed I would be thinking of returning to the UK. He hasn't been back for 6 years but his Dad tells him it's horrible with foreign gangs on every corner armed to the teeth waiting to mug you. After speaking to him for about an hour in the end he was saying 'well being close to Europe will be good for our kids when they are older' and 'it will certainly be much better for my business prospects'. Is it just automatic to think the worst of the UK ?

Chris, as has always been the case in this country for the past odd 60 years, Brits will come and go, some once, some twice and like one of my family's members 4 times. There will always be those that lifestyle doesn't suit, as you would know, but one thing you mentioned about your friend saying that it will be good for his kids to be "close to Europe" when they are older? That might be his opinion, but it fails to acknowledge that Australian kids will be close to the extremely dynamic Asia Pacific region, which presents many opportunities also. My kids, with dual citizenship, don't feel disadvantaged in any way. In this day and age though, being close to somewhere doesn't always figure in whether people can grasp opportunities. I believe that if you are a go getting entrepreunurial person, and have the ability to apply knowledge where a window of opportunity exists, your location matters not. When I lived in England I knew people who never went out of their village, so their proximity to Europe was neither here nor there. I think Brits will continue to come here and will also continue to return home for all the reasons they do, and no one thinks any the worse of them.

I think as it has been said numerous times before the ones who are here and enjoying it don't always have time to come back on to the forum, to say how happy they are. I mean in the grand scheme of things, there are over 30,000 members on this forum and how many post saying that they are very unhappy in Australia, 10, 15, 20, maybe if I am being generous 50, it isn't a lot really is it, when you think of how many make the move?

I LIKE this post. A few disgruntled regular posters do give an over-inflated impression of the numbers who are REALLY unhappy in OZ.

The only figures I have seen were, as far as I can remember, two million people coming out as 'Ten-Pound Poms', maybe 500,000 returning to UK BUT 250,000 of them coming back out to Australia.

I personaly think alot of the problem is that people get sucked in with the idea of australia being a paradise where everything is perfect after watching shows like neighbours & home and away they dont do any research and have never stepped onto australian soil to see what its like.If they have its only for a holiday or short period and everything is completely differant when they are here on a perminant basis.

I have also seen the same senario in spain where i lived before i came here alot of people jump into migration to quickly and regret it.It does work for some people but we all cant be the same.

In the same way, many people here from Victoria used to go to Queensland for holidays and say they would retire there, only 6 months later to return - "can't take the heat", "left my family I missed", "different way of life" etc etc. They would return to Victoria after the costs of moving up north to chase some dream of living in a warmer climate only to miss the freezing cold down here! But you can't always tell when you do it, it's something you often have to learn, and it can cost money that is the worrying thing.

Guest proud2beaussie

The thing is Chris that PIO is only a very small cross section of the people who have come here,so whilst you may think that there are lots of people returning you need to remember that not everyone who comes here is a member of PIO,and not everyone who goes back will post on here anyway so what I am saying is that I would not be placing too much reliance on your observations of PIO.

For the record (these figures are from DIAC) in 2008-09 there were 6160 permanent departures from Australia by people who gave their birthplace as the UK,of those 6160, 1087 had been here less than 2 years,392 had been here between 2 and 3 years,311 between 3 and 4 years,273 between 4 and 5 years,and 4010 over 5 years,87 did not answer that question.

In the same period 21545 who gave their birthplace as the UK arrived to settle in Australia.

The figures make interesting reading-

Overseas Arrivals and Departures Statistics - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

Edited to add: One point that should not be forgotten is that in those 6160 the figures only give an indication of the birthplace of those departing,that does not mean that they are necessarily returning to their birthplace,they could be going to Upper Volta for all we know.

Am I part of the sun + surf gang then because I like living here???? Is that how you see those that are happy? Why cant some just accept that some people like it here? I like the UK, I like Australia. Its just that Australia gives me more of what I want!

Joanne, You moved here and you love it- we moved here and we don't- you always give a balanced view and don't judge others. I'm thrilled so many love it as life would be dull wouldn't it.

An Aussie friend of mine said the ther day hat she knew of a family who moved to UK and only lasted 6 months as they hated it. I said that it just goes to show how different both places are and if you can embrace the differences then great.

If it can give you a better life then great but for us it can't- I certainly don't class you in the Sun + Surf catergory but I do know what Chris means- I'm related to half of them lol!

Guest chris955

I didn't say I thought there were lots of people returning, they are your words, I said it's amazing how many more posts and threads there are from people returning. I don't think there are large numbers returning, lets face it for the population of the country it's not a large number that come here to start with really.

The thing is Chris that PIO is only a very small cross section of the people who have come here,so whilst you may think that there are lots of people returning you need to remember that not everyone who comes here is a member of PIO,and not everyone who goes back will post on here anyway so what I am saying is that I would not be placing too much reliance on your observations of PIO.

For the record (these figures are from DIAC) in 2008-09 there were 6160 permanent departures from Australia by people who gave their birthplace as the UK,of those 6160, 1087 had been here less than 2 years,392 had been here between 2 and 3 years,311 between 3 and 4 years,273 between 4 and 5 years,and 4010 over 5 years,87 did not answer that question.

In the same period 21545 who gave their birthplace as the UK arrived to settle in Australia.

The figures make interesting reading-

Overseas Arrivals and Departures Statistics - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

Edited to add: One point that should not be forgotten is that in those 6160 the figures only give an indication of the birthplace of those departing,that does not mean that they are necessarily returning to their birthplace,they could be going to Upper Volta for all we know.

Guest guest30038
In the same way, many people here from Victoria used to go to Queensland for holidays and say they would retire there, only 6 months later to return

Good!.............bloody grey mexican nomads!:wink:

Strange too, how although it's considered hot in the SE corner how many elderly Qlders from here, chase the heat up to places like Karumba for 6 months at a time. My mate dissapears for 4 months every winter and comes back with a Waeco full of fish.

kev

Guest proud2beaussie
My mate dissapears for 4 months every winter and comes back with a Waeco full of fish.

Geez I bet you can smell his car from a mile away!:biggrin::biggrin:

Guest guest30038
Geez I bet you can smell his car from a mile away!:biggrin::biggrin:

Solar power on the roof of his fourby driving two waeco freezers...........but you're right, you can smell his car.............he ain't renowned for his personal hygiene when he's camping :biglaugh:

Guest proud2beaussie
Strangely enough, I didn't get involved in that one............I must have been out chasing sun and surf with my immaculate Aussie friends:wink:

kev

Immaculate? geez they must dress better than you then,I thought you were unkempt?.

By the way I notice that your spelling has improved,been taking lessons have you?.:biggrin:

Good!.............bloody grey mexican nomads!:wink:

Strange too, how although it's considered hot in the SE corner how many elderly Qlders from here, chase the heat up to places like Karumba for 6 months at a time. My mate dissapears for 4 months every winter and comes back with a Waeco full of fish.

kev

What I usually say to bobj: "Asshuddappayouface" and my brother is a grey nomad by the way, good if you can do it.

Guest guest30038
Immaculate? geez they must dress better than you then,I thought you were unkempt?.

By the way I notice that your spelling has improved,been taking lessons have you?.:biggrin:

Yes, I recognised the admonishment meted out to others by those who puit great emphasis on spelling, and decided to mend my ways. I can't say the same for the posters who think Aussies are "scruffy" though..........I prefer to be frowned on and looked down on rather that dip my hand in my pocket to buy clothes that although, they may "maketh the man", are far from practical............and to be honest............have me looking like mutton dressed as lamb............baaaaaaah :wink:

kev

Guest guest30038
What I usually say to bobj: "Asshuddappayouface" and my brother is a grey nomad by the way, good if you can do it.

We'll do it.............if she can divorce herself from that bloody job of hers! :wink::rolleyes:

Archived