Thai airlines

mr luvpants

Hi Guys

I have to fly to Brissy to attend police testing in 3 weeks.:policeman: Sheesh.. they could have given me more notice!:biglaugh: Flights are coming up stupid money. The best deal I can get is with Thai airlines for £941. Has anyone flown with them and can recommend them? There is a big jump in price between them and the next company.

Also as this is a flying visit (excuse the pun) I only have 4 days to get over the jet lag before my first Psychometric test. Do you think this is enough time?

JOHN

Guest gary12

have you tried this site www.zugu.co.uk

I haven't flown with Thai but imagine they would be superb. They always get good reports.

if you are travelling alone I would say 4 days is more than enough time, it's when you have littlies waking up in the middle of the night it's a problem.

best of luck

We did a six month round the world trip a few months back and two of our legs were on Thai. The were fine--good service, very nice food (if you like Thai which we love) and pleasant helpful staff.

One niggle I'd have though: if your flight is routed via Bangkok, be aware of the civil unrest that was affecting the city in recent weeks. It's calmed down now (and wasn't involving the airport as far as I know) but I suspect people avoiding Thailand at the moment may be the reason for the cheaper fares.

If it was me, I'd probably take it--but go into it with your eyes open.

Edited to add: for me, day three tends to be my worst day for jetlag--and I'm feeling pretty normal by day four so you should be okay if you follow the same pattern as me.

Bob

Hi. Qantas are cheaper BUT the problem with qantas is that they use BA and with what is going on at the moment I dont want to book with them in case I get my flight cancelled. This trip means a lot to me.

Hi John

First, good luck with the Brissy police testing!

Second, as long as you check the qantas flight is their own not a codeshare, you should be ok even if BA strikes are still on. The only downside I can see to Qantas at the moment is that the flight might be more crowded if BA have had to cancel their plane with similar timings.

I might not have put that very clearly, but you'll get the gist of it!

Good luck!

Pam

I rechecked and all of the Qantas flights have at least one flight segment with BA. I also spoke this morning to a bloke on another watch whose missus is a BA flight attendant. He said that he would not take the chance if it was him as the union will announce strike dates in June so I definitely think I am going to stay clear of Qantas.

On a side note, what is the in flight entertainment like on Thai airlines? Is it head rest TVs? Is it a dry airline?

JOHN

Guest Tralaah
Hi Guys

I have to fly to Brissy to attend police testing in 3 weeks.:policeman: Sheesh.. they could have given me more notice!:biglaugh: Flights are coming up stupid money. The best deal I can get is with Thai airlines for £941. Has anyone flown with them and can recommend them? There is a big jump in price between them and the next company.

Also as this is a flying visit (excuse the pun) I only have 4 days to get over the jet lag before my first Psychometric test. Do you think this is enough time?

JOHN

Hi, I've flown a couple of times with Thai, they were excellent, the service is superb and the food is great. For the time that I want to go over they come up with the best prices and I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again.

I rechecked and all of the Qantas flights have at least one flight segment with BA. I also spoke this morning to a bloke on another watch whose missus is a BA flight attendant. He said that he would not take the chance if it was him as the union will announce strike dates in June so I definitely think I am going to stay clear of Qantas.

On a side note, what is the in flight entertainment like on Thai airlines? Is it head rest TVs? Is it a dry airline?

JOHN

Hi John - where are you getting the info from that the Qantas flights have one flight segment with BA as most routes have a Qantas all the way option - you just have to check the flight numbers - QF single & double digit flights are operated by Qantas only - ie QF2, QF32 out of London Heathrow-Sydney. The BA operated flights are 3 digits - eg QF320 London-Sydney.

My OH loves Qantas & refuses to go on BA operated flights anyway - hates their service - so he's really anal about knowing these things! :biggrin:

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi John,

RachelS is correct,very few Qantas flights are BA codeshares on the LHR to BNE route ,the flights are

QF32 which is the midday departure with a stopover in Singapore and a connecting flight from Sydney to Brisbane,thats an A380 operated service,then there is QF 10 which is a 10.05PM departure with a change to another aircraft in Singapore for the leg from Singapore to Brisbane,and then there is QF2 which is a 10.15PM departure with a stop in Bangkok and then a connecting flight from Sydney to Brisbane.

hi john

good luck with the police test x

I flew from heathrow to melbourne with thai (with 3 kids) first plane was a complete nightmare !!! no tvs screens just one for about 4 rows although with the kids asking are we there YET! and the food was as described by my daughter abit loudly i must admit (IT LOOKS LIKE CAT SXXX) so on arrival in bangkok airport comics,books,sweets later the 2nd flight was fab x each seat with tv screen and more leg room on seats we all prompty fell asleep x

so if your travelling on your own be forwarned take alot of reading material and some food !

good luck pm me if you need any more info x

carole x

Guest brooksey
I have just booked a last minute flight with Royal Brunei. Got it for £660 so well chuffed. Flew with them before and was pleased.

JOHN

That is a dry airline.:cry:

I flew from heathrow to melbourne with thai (with 3 kids) first plane was a complete nightmare !!! no tvs screens just one for about 4 rows although with the kids asking are we there YET! and the food was as described by my daughter abit loudly i must admit (IT LOOKS LIKE CAT SXXX) so on arrival in bangkok airport comics,books,sweets later the 2nd flight was fab x each seat with tv screen and more leg room on seats we all prompty fell asleep x

TG is notorious for equipment swaps - they have 6 really old 747s that usually go to Scandinavia but they are liable to be put on the LHR routes at short notice. On board service can be patchy at best. I have had disgusting food but also had good food with TG. Just depends on the flight.

EK (Emirates) often have competitive fares but with an awkward connection time in Dubai.

I have just booked a last minute flight with Royal Brunei. Got it for £660 so well chuffed. Flew with them before and was pleased.

JOHN

We found them to be excellent...

Just don't eat anything before you board cos we got sick of them bringing us food in the end lol

But we were stuck in Brunei for 6 nights because of ash cloud and they were fantastic

Howard

We found them to be excellent...

Just don't eat anything before you board cos we got sick of them bringing us food in the end lol

But we were stuck in Brunei for 6 nights because of ash cloud and they were fantastic

Howard

We found that as well! :wacko: Did anyone on your flight bring their own drink on board? I do like a couple of G&Ts when flying.

JOHN

Guest Taylor72
We fly out for good on Xmas day!

JOHN

Congratulations John and Lisa, flying out on xmas day how amazing !!!!

I hope you dont mind me asking but im submitting my 176 visa on 30th June due to the suspension, and was wondering did u submit your state sponsorship off at the same time or before?? And how did you prove you had money to support yourselves ?

Ive got a job offer now and have equity when i sell my house. Would it be enough to provide morgage and valuation statements or do you think the job offer is enough , confusion !!:wub:

How are you both feeling about the move ? have you got children? mine are 15 and 11. My 15 year old wants to stay behind with my parents and finish her exams next year and to do her prom with her friends. Its going to break my heart leaving her but shes a really bright young lady so i feel i need to let her do it x

Annette

Congratulations John and Lisa, flying out on xmas day how amazing !!!!

I hope you dont mind me asking but im submitting my 176 visa on 30th June due to the suspension, and was wondering did u submit your state sponsorship off at the same time or before?? And how did you prove you had money to support yourselves ?

Ive got a job offer now and have equity when i sell my house. Would it be enough to provide morgage and valuation statements or do you think the job offer is enough , confusion !!:wub:

How are you both feeling about the move ? have you got children? mine are 15 and 11. My 15 year old wants to stay behind with my parents and finish her exams next year and to do her prom with her friends. Its going to break my heart leaving her but shes a really bright young lady so i feel i need to let her do it x

Annette

Hi Annette

Thanks!

You wont be able to submit your 176 until you get state sponsorship. When you get the sponsorship you get allocated a special number which the DIAC need to give you the visa. We are going to Queensland and as Lisa is a nurse, her sponsor application was fast tracked.

Regarding the money....QLD need to see real funds in the bank. We borrowed £20K from Lisa's parents for 2 weeks and printed out the bank statement and that satisfied QLD and then we gave the money back. I know some people on here have re mortgaged and paid it straight back. They dont make it easy to get a visa but if you really want it that bad you will find a way.

We have 3 kids between us...20,21 and 23. The two youngest are staying here as they live with our exes. We have combined their birthday pressie this year and next and this years xmas press and will buy them tickets to come over next year. Ashley the oldest, is travelling for a year as from November but it intends to find a way to live out there with us.

good luck

JOHN

Guest brooksey

I think that they do prayers via the moniters at the correct muslim times as well. Don't quote me but somebody told me you can take drink on board. Best to check officialy though.

I think that they do prayers via the moniters at the correct muslim times as well. Don't quote me but somebody told me you can take drink on board. Best to check officialy though.

They bless the flights before take off.

Yes you can take your own drinks onboard not on amounts etc but a few on our flight had bottles of wine.

Howard

Archived