Can you submit multiple tenancy application forms?

Guest dandlj

Guest dandlj

I was under the impression that you can submit several tenancy applications at the same time, as there are so many people applying you stand more of a chance.

However each form says the following in the small print

"Initial bond deposit and 1 month rent must be paid in cash or bank cheque within 24 hours after approval of application"

So if I apply for 3 properties and all 3 get approved then would I be liable to pay for all 3 of them or be able to to choose which of them I would like to proceed with?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I was under the impression that you can submit several tenancy applications at the same time, as there are so many people applying you stand more of a chance.

However each form says the following in the small print

"Initial bond deposit and 1 month rent must be paid in cash or bank cheque within 24 hours after approval of application"

So if I apply for 3 properties and all 3 get approved then would I be liable to pay for all 3 of them or be able to to choose which of them I would like to proceed with?

Thanks in advance for any help.

if you are offered a tenancy after payin a deposit and you reject it then ...yes you will loose your deposit !!!

mrs keily

Usually what happens is when you submit an application you have to pay the value of 1 weeks rent. If you are not accepted you get that 1 weeks value back, but if you are accepted and refuse the property then you loose that rent value. If you are accepted then you have a time frame to pay the bond and usually 2 weeks rent.

Hope this helps.

Sue

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

I think you need to check with the state you are in. For example in Victoria when you go to view a property they usually give you an application form to apply for the property, if you completed this and then went off to see another property, you can also complete an application for that. Then say in a few days they both call you up and say you have been succesful with the application, you then need to make an arrangement to go down to the office and complete the contracts and hand over your bond and the first months rent. It is only once you have done this it becomes legaly binding.

Therefore, legally you could view and apply for 20 rentals and have nothing to pay and refuse them all, it is only when you have signed the contract and paid your money that it becomes enforceable.

Kate

This is what we struggled with - if you apply for more than one property at time you stand to lose money. But its time consuming - we applied for one property the agent had the 600 dollars for almost week before telling us we had been unsuccessful ! Then 2nd application took over week but luckily we were successful but even so total nightmare . Good luck with your rental x x

Guest Eralc

When we applied for our rental in NSW (about a month ago), we also put in applications for several other houses on the same day. Like movingtomelbourne says, we didn't have to pay anything until they told us that our application had been successful - as it turned out, we had 2 of our applications accepted on the same day, and so had to choose between them then. If we had said yes to the agent for the house that we are in, paid a deposit, and then 2 days later decided that we were going to back out and choose a different one, then they would have kept 2/7ths of our deposit.

We in WA by the way. Victoria sounds much better system.

We have felt like second rate citizens when trying to rent a house here - had to prove money in bank, references from

people who we rented holiday

accomodation with - they even rang our estate agent up in uk to ask what our old house

In Qld it's like Kate describes. You can apply for as many as you want, without paying a cent. If you get accepted on all of them, you decide which you want and head on down and pay the bond and sign a tenancy agreement.

Love

Rudi

x

This is what we struggled with - if you apply for more than one property at time you stand to lose money. But its time consuming - we applied for one property the agent had the 600 dollars for almost week before telling us we had been unsuccessful ! Then 2nd application took over week but luckily we were successful but even so total nightmare . Good luck with your rental x x

Hi there!

We were also finding rental in WA (Perth) and no bonds were needed when applying for a property. We used to submit several applications at the same time and had to pay no money for this. Only after singing our lease agreement we were demanded to transfer bond and 2 weeks rental costs.

So, only the lease agreement is the starting point for any money obligations. :biggrin:

Archived