Guest Gollywobbler
Hi, Paul here. Just spoke to my agent on the phone he told me because my aplication is already with the diac the new changes do not affect me. (floor finisher)Is this correct.

Hi Paul

If I were a migration agent, I think I would be inclined to tell the clients like you, "You have survived the current change and you are OK for the time being.

However, DIAC have a backlog of something like 140,000 applications for GSM visas. Only about 36,500 GSM visas will be granted to main visa applicants in 2010-2011. (Partners and children are secondary applicants - they get visas but the number of GSM visas for main applicants is the number that matters.)

The figures 140,000/3,500 do not compute - hence DIAC are saying that it will take some time to clear the backlog. I get the feelng that the Minister is determined to cut the backlog down to manageable numbers as fast as possible. Therefore, for the moment I am inclined just to wait and see what (if anything) the bar steward does to GSM applicants next.

I think it is outrageous that the Minister has encouraged eople to incur signifcant expense ever since he was sworn in in December 2007 but having got them to spend their money, he sees fit to shift the goalposts on them later. I really do think that that is appalling.

Cheers

Gill

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fitz sher

Hi Guys,

I have a state sponsored(Victoria) 176 visa application lodged since November 2009. My trade of general Plumber is on the SOL list. Does anyone have any idea of what time line I might be looking at. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Guys,

I have a state sponsored(Victoria) 176 visa application lodged since November 2009. My trade of general Plumber is on the SOL list. Does anyone have any idea of what time line I might be looking at. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan

Please send a completely blank e-mail to aspc.processing@immi.gov.au You will get an auto-reply within an hour.

The incoming e-mail will reveal that according to the priorites set (and re-set for the umpeenth time) on 8th Feb 2010, your application is currently in processing priority category 5. According to the e-mail, this means that DIAC will not get around to processing your visa until at least 3 years after lodgement.

However, if VIC put your occupation into their forthcoming State Migration Plan, the e-mail shows that your application would move up to Category 2, in which case DIAC would expect to process it within 12 months of lodgement.

Please get the e-mail because it is very clear - much clearer than I am.

However I am not convinced that the Minister won't alter the processing priorities yet again once the new SOL is implemented. According to him, Australia needs migrants with the skills that are on the new list. Right then. If Australia needs these skills, is Australia willing to wait for 5 years in order to get them? I don't think so, therefore I'm expecting that prat of a Minister to change his mind (which happens more often than he changes his socks) yet again.

Cheers

Gill

Guest bilaln30

With the implementation of New SOL and retirement of CSL+MODL, I wonder what processing priorities are now going to be?

Gil,

but how do you think they will do this, with people who already applied?

For ezample, my case. I have applied under a different code (engineers not-elsewhere classified), and now there´s a specific code for "environmental engineer".

Here is what Engineers Australia is saynig about the changes:

A new list of Skilled Occupations (incorporating ANZSCO codes) has been published in draft form by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) on 17 May 2010 - this is in support of a proposed new Skilled Occupation List (SOL) to be implemented on 1 July 2010. Please visit the DIAC website for further information about the changes.

What does this mean for people applying for a Migration Skills Assessment by Engineers Australia?

1. Up to and including 30 June 2010, assessment outcome letters will be issued in ASCO codes only
  2. From and including 1 July 2010, assessment outcome letters will be issued in ANZSCO codes only ... this will also apply to any reissued outcomes after that date

Please note - For applicants who hold, or are about to hold, an assessment outcome letter with an ASCO code issued by this office prior to 1 July 2010, and who lodge an application to DIAC within 12 months of the date of this letter:

DIAC have advised us that they will honour the ASCO code assessment for a period of 12 months after the introduction of the new SOL, or the expiry date of their 12-month validity of the assessment outcome letter, whichever is the sooner.

Guest fitz sher
Hi Alan

Please send a completely blank e-mail to aspc.processing@immi.gov.au You will get an auto-reply within an hour.

The incoming e-mail will reveal that according to the priorites set (and re-set for the umpeenth time) on 8th Feb 2010, your application is currently in processing priority category 5. According to the e-mail, this means that DIAC will not get around to processing your visa until at least 3 years after lodgement.

However, if VIC put your occupation into their forthcoming State Migration Plan, the e-mail shows that your application would move up to Category 2, in which case DIAC would expect to process it within 12 months of lodgement.

Please get the e-mail because it is very clear - much clearer than I am.

However I am not convinced that the Minister won't alter the processing priorities yet again once the new SOL is implemented. According to him, Australia needs migrants with the skills that are on the new list. Right then. If Australia needs these skills, is Australia willing to wait for 5 years in order to get them? I don't think so, therefore I'm expecting that prat of a Minister to change his mind (which happens more often than he changes his socks) yet again.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill, Thanks for that information, it was really helpful. I recieved the email back as you advised.

The following is the priority list as per the email;

Under the Ministerial Direction, the following processing priorities (with

highest priority listed first) apply:

1. Applications from people who are employer sponsored under the ENS and

the RSMS.

2. Applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory

government agency under a State Migration Plan agreed to by the Minister.

3. Applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory

government agency and whose nominated occupation is on the Critical Skills

List (CSL).

4. Applications from people who are neither nominated nor sponsored

under Priority Groups 1,2 or 3 but whose nominated occupation is listed on

the CSL.

5. Applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory

government agency whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL

6. (i) Applications from people whose occupations are listed on the

Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL); as well as

(ii) Applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose

nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL.

7. All other applications are to be processed in the order in which they

are received.

Am I right in saying that the CSL is now the SOL, and if so would that not put me in cat 3 as I have been nominated by a state.

Alan

Hi Gill, Thanks for that information, it was really helpful. I recieved the email back as you advised.

the RSMS.

List (CSL).

the CSL.

are received.

Am I right in saying that the CSL is now the SOL, and if so would that not put me in cat 3 as I have been nominated by a state.

Alan

I am confused. What is the difference between 2 and 5 ?

ok ok I'm sooo confused my hubby's occupation (floor finisher) is not on the new list, however he has 2 sisters in Perth does this mean that he cannot go on a family sponsored visa now he's not on the list??

Unfortunately No... he can't go on a family sponsored visa.

I am confused. What is the difference between 2 and 5 ?

2 is if you are sponsored by a State under a State Migration Plan approved by the Minister - since this priotiy list was announced in Feb no plans have been approved (I think!) so really priority 2 doesn't exist at this point in time.

Priority 5 is for an occupation not on the CSL but does have a state sponsor under the previous state sponsor plans (many of which are now also suspended). Even if you got an application lodged this way you'll still be waiting at lest 3 years from application (unless they move the goalposts again).

The difference between 2 and 3 is similar - 2 is a plan approved by the mimister and 3 is a plan alreday in place but the occupation was on the CSL.

If you are unsure you should read the detail on the DIAC site that was announced on 8 Feb 10, this was all detailed in the factsheet/FAQs. but of course that only matters if you've already lodged your application before 7 May AND the Minister doesn't make further changes, which I suspect he will - i think he must enjoy raising people's hopes, expectations and dreams and then shattering them in one statement!!

the RSMS.

List (CSL).

the CSL.

are received.

Alan

I think the new SOL is just the basic list of occupations that can apply for a visa, I do not think it's a new CSL.

The way I am reading things at the moment, nothing has changed for anyone who has an exisiting visa lodged in terms of priority processing.

Anyone who managed to get a CSL visa lodged in time are seriously lucky !

I have a gut feeling, that this priority email from DIAC will still apply after 1st July. I can't see any reason to change it, and I think things are gonna be a lot tougher to get into Oz now.

Reducing the SOL means 50% less people can now apply, and I suspect the new points test will be harder, meaning less folk will be unable to qualify for a 175, and similary take advantage of the lower score for a 176 and SMP's to qualify. SMP's have not been approved yet, and I think they will be strongly vetted by central government.

A reduced level of new applications will obviously help existing applicants.

Its all makes sense to me now, they are controlling the programme to reduce demand.

It's just my take.

I'm sick of the whole thing and cup half empty these days :huh:

Good luck to everyone in the process.

2 is if you are sponsored by a State under a State Migration Plan approved by the Minister - since this priotiy list was announced in Feb no plans have been approved (I think!) so really priority 2 doesn't exist at this point in time.

Priority 5 is for an occupation not on the CSL but does have a state sponsor under the previous state sponsor plans (many of which are now also suspended). Even if you got an application lodged this way you'll still be waiting at lest 3 years from application (unless they move the goalposts again).

The difference between 2 and 3 is similar - 2 is a plan approved by the mimister and 3 is a plan alreday in place but the occupation was on the CSL.

If you are unsure you should read the detail on the DIAC site that was announced on 8 Feb 10, this was all detailed in the factsheet/FAQs. but of course that only matters if you've already lodged your application before 7 May AND the Minister doesn't make further changes, which I suspect he will - i think he must enjoy raising people's hopes, expectations and dreams and then shattering them in one statement!!

I have just re-read the list and taking the new SOL to be CSL, my conclusions are as follows :

Priority 1 - Applicants sponsored by an Employee

Priority 2 - Applicants whose occupation are on the new SMP effective 1st July, 2010

Priority 3 - The old Applicants who were state sponsored (not SMP) BUT who are on the new SOL

Priority 4 - Applicants who are not sponsored by any state or employee BUT who are on the new SOL

Priority 5 - The old Applicants who were state sponsored (not SMP) and who are NOT on the new SOL

Priority 6 - 1) Applicants whose occupations were on the old MODL

2) Applicants who are family sponsored

Priority 7 - All balance applications processed as received.

Correct me if I am wrong... :eek:

Gil,

but how do you think they will do this, with people who already applied?

For ezample, my case. I have applied under a different code (engineers not-elsewhere classified), and now there´s a specific code for "environmental engineer".

Here is what Engineers Australia is saynig about the changes:

A new list of Skilled Occupations (incorporating ANZSCO codes) has been published in draft form by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) on 17 May 2010 - this is in support of a proposed new Skilled Occupation List (SOL) to be implemented on 1 July 2010. Please visit the DIAC website for further information about the changes.

What does this mean for people applying for a Migration Skills Assessment by Engineers Australia?

1. Up to and including 30 June 2010, assessment outcome letters will be issued in ASCO codes only

2. From and including 1 July 2010, assessment outcome letters will be issued in ANZSCO codes only ... this will also apply to any reissued outcomes after that date

Please note - For applicants who hold, or are about to hold, an assessment outcome letter with an ASCO code issued by this office prior to 1 July 2010, and who lodge an application to DIAC within 12 months of the date of this letter:

DIAC have advised us that they will honour the ASCO code assessment for a period of 12 months after the introduction of the new SOL, or the expiry date of their 12-month validity of the assessment outcome letter, whichever is the sooner.

Easy for Engineers Australia to say that - their occupations make a snug fit across the boundary between ASCO and ANZSCO, except for the always vexed question of what is an ITC engineer. More troubling is that they say it's a "draft" list.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi James

I am totaly confused, I hope you can help me!!!

On page 5 where you have listed certain occupations and some are highlighted, you say the one in red are "curious omissions"

what does this mean as my occupation (fitter) is in red and I realy do not know if im coming or going at the minute.

Hope you can help

many thanks :frown:

I have just re-read the list and taking the new SOL to be CSL, my conclusions are as follows :

Correct me if I am wrong... :eek:

Why would they revoke the CSL and replace it with a bigger list of occupations ?

I would love it personally if the new SOL was the CSL, selfishly, as my Profession is on the new SOL, but having thought about it all day, I cannot see it.

What ya think ?

Guest Gollywobbler

the RSMS.

List (CSL).

the CSL.

are received.

Alan

Hi Alan

As I understand it, the CSL will disappear once the new SOL and the to-be-agreed SMPs are both implemented.

At any rate, it is meant to mean that applications which are already in the pipeline and where the nominated occupation is on the CSL will continue to be fast tracked but new applications will only take effect under the new SOL and, if appropriate, an SMP.

However the Minister's "logic" still gives me a headache. For example, the current CSL says that the only Teachers who are needed with critical urgency are secondary school teachers. The new SOL says that almost every type of Teacher is needed.

So is the current CSL wrong by reason of being too narrow? If yes then I call that a SNAFU. If the current CSL is not too narrow, do they need the other Teachers "at some stage but not yet?" Or is it a political decision, I wonder?

Cheers

Gill

Why would they revoke the CSL and replace it with a bigger list of occupations ?

I would love it personally if the new SOL was the CSL, selfishly, as my Profession is on the new SOL, but having thought about it all day, I cannot see it.

What ya think ?

Well... since there is no mention of any SOL which is not possible and according to DIAC, the old CSL list will be abolished from 1st July, 2010. Besides if you see, the SMP takes priority over all and this list will be an approved list... like the today's CSL.

The terms may change effective 1st July, 2010

Well... since there is no mention of any SOL which is not possible and according to DIAC, the old CSL list will be abolished from 1st July, 2010. Besides if you see, the SMP takes priority over all and this list will be an approved list... like the today's CSL.

The terms may change effective 1st July, 2010

I'm thinking that the SOL replaces the old SOL, the basic list of professions that will qualify for a GSM visa. They have halved the number of people that can qualify moving forward.

Nothing to do with priority processing ?

This priorty list was issued ages ago, I see it as a statement of intent for priority processing only, hence the SMP's were included, long before they have been announced ?

I can only see SMP or ENS as priority processing for new applications ?

Pete

I'm thinking that the SOL replaces the old SOL, the basic list of professions that will qualify for a GSM visa.

Nothing to do with priority processing ?

I can only see SMP or ENS as priority processing for new applications ?

Pete

I dont think the new SOL just replaces the old SOL. This list according to the Aus Government has been analyzed and scrutinized before release. They would want to make it to be different from the old SOL.

It will not make sense if SMP is only for new applicants. For example... Before 1st July, 2010 - if Project administrator was not on any priority list and the applicant applied before 1st July. Effective 1st July it appears on one of the SMP, why shouldn't the application be processed as an SMP ? Just because I applied before 1st July, does this mean my occupation is as important as a person who applies after 1st July?.... Well, this is just me thinking out loud !!! :cute:

I dont think the new SOL just replaces the old SOL. This list according to the Aus Government has been analyzed and scrutinized before release. They would want to make it to be different from the old SOL.

It will not make sense if SMP is only for new applicants. For example... Before 1st July, 2010 - if Project administrator was not on any priority list and the applicant applied before 1st July. Effective 1st July it appears on one of the SMP, why shouldn't the application be processed as an SMP ? Just because I applied before 1st July, does this mean my occupation is as important as a person who applies after 1st July?.... Well, this is just me thinking out loud !!! :cute:

Hey, I'm just thinking out loud too ! :biggrin: and I'm hoping I am wrong !!

Okay, my thoughts are that the whole migration plan has been revamped from the top. The new SOL has been analysed and scrutinized as you say - and they have halved it - this is for initial qualification for a visa moving forward post 1st July. They are deciding what skills are actually required in the future. Forget priority processing for the mo ?

I didn't say SMP would only apply to new applicants, I see it as the only way for PP for new applicants, and I am suggesting is that current visa applications, can apply for SMP sponsorship just as they could for SS.

So what I'm saying is ... the priority list from DIAC still stands and doesn't have to be amended come 1st July.

Pre 1st July applicants eg. CSL, CSL with SS, or CSL with SMP should they upgrade will get PP.

Post 1st July, new applicants will have to be on the new SOL, and only get PP if they get SMP sponsorship. ( If not on SOL, they will need ENS, RSM or approved SMP sponsorship )

Pre 1st July applicants, regardless that they are on the new SOL, will be treated under the old rules.

I think you are confusing qualification and priority processing, but would love to wrong here xx. :cute:

Hey, I'm just thinking out loud too ! :biggrin: and I'm hoping I am wrong !!

Okay, my thoughts are that the whole migration plan has been revamped from the top. The new SOL has been analysed and scrutinized as you say - and they have halved it - this is for initial qualification for a visa moving forward post 1st July. They are deciding what skills are actually required in the future. Forget priority processing for the mo ?

I didn't say SMP would only apply to new applicants, I see it as the only way for PP for new applicants, and I am suggesting is that current visa applications, can apply for SMP sponsorship just as they could for SS.

So what I'm saying is ... the priority list from DIAC still stands and doesn't have to be amended come 1st July.

Pre 1st July applicants eg. CSL, CSL with SS, or CSL with SMP should they upgrade will get PP.

Post 1st July, new applicants will have to be on the new SOL, and only get PP if they get SMP sponsorship. ( If not on SOL, they will need ENS, RSM or approved SMP sponsorship )

Pre 1st July applicants, regardless that they are on the new SOL, will be treated under the old rules.

I think you are confusing qualification and priority processing, but would love to wrong here xx. :cute:

So what you are trying to say is that the old CSL is still showing for the purpose of priority processing ? You make a point and what you are trying to say is that the new SOL is only a list for visa elibility !! Is this correct ? You are probably right, I think I have analyzed the whole thing a little more than required :twitcy:

Archived