Renting in Perth, what a nightmare!

Guest klong

Guest lainy

I have found rentals a nightmare, we have been here 4 years and our first rental only came about after weeks of let downs, so I offered 6 months upfront payment and got the choice of ayone I wanted, which actually sucks as it shouldnt be that way. After the 1st rental it was easier the next one as we had the reference from the previous agency. We now live in our own home but it was a ngihtmare and I sympathise with you. My friends who recently migrated had the same thing, in the end I stormed into the rental agency and had a row with the real estate about the way they treat potential renters, my friends got their rental eventually but it certainly put them off renting again.

Try and find the owner of potential homes and contact them directly as I have known of a few folk who have done that.

Hopefully things will work out soon and you will soon be in your own pad!!! It is tough starting life over again in a different country. x

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally sympathise we are now in our second rental and we went though having to take time off work, getting refused when we were the only applicant and given no reason. We did get somewhere perfect in the end and there was about 20 other people viewing. We wanted the place so much, the location was perfect and although old (think exposed brick Walls & jarah everywhere) it had real charm, 180 degree balconies and even sea views so we offered more than the asking price & that got us to the top of the list, apparently having pet guinea pigs clinched it (the owner has them too!) It was worth it for us as we were looking further and further away and more and more expensive.

Do bear in mind it is not going to be your permanent home and it's amazing how you stop noticing swirly carpet! Consider what you really need, if I've followed the thread right you don't have children so are 3/4 beds really needed? Maybe a modern 2 bed apartment with all mod cons (even if you have to leave some furniture in storage)

I don't know the areas you are looking at too well but I know some of them are older established areas and these are more challenging as they are typically more desirable than the new estates so you will pay more for good properties and a lot of houses are past their best but the landlords have no really motivation to improve them because they'll rent out anyway and the investment is in the land. It is quite different from the UK where investors expect a rental income to cover the mortgage.

if you can look more towards new estates then there will be probably be more rentals, less competitions and the houses will be lovely too.

Good luck, you will get there!

I totally sympathise we are now in our second rental and we went though having to take time off work, getting refused when we were the only applicant and given no reason. We did get somewhere perfect in the end and there was about 20 other people viewing. We wanted the place so much, the location was perfect and although old (think exposed brick Walls & jarah everywhere) it had real charm, 180 degree balconies and even sea views so we offered more than the asking price & that got us to the top of the list, apparently having pet guinea pigs clinched it (the owner has them too!) It was worth it for us as we were looking further and further away and more and more expensive.

Do bear in mind it is not going to be your permanent home and it's amazing how you stop noticing swirly carpet! Consider what you really need, if I've followed the thread right you don't have children so are 3/4 beds really needed? Maybe a modern 2 bed apartment with all mod cons (even if you have to leave some furniture in storage)

I don't know the areas you are looking at too well but I know some of them are older established areas and these are more challenging as they are typically more desirable than the new estates so you will pay more for good properties and a lot of houses are past their best but the landlords have no really motivation to improve them because they'll rent out anyway and the investment is in the land. It is quite different from the UK where investors expect a rental income to cover the mortgage.

if you can look more towards new estates then there will be probably be more rentals, less competitions and the houses will be lovely too.

Good luck, you will get there!

Squirly carpet is a dream in arental , as jules says its not your home , in my honest opinion and experience , rentals have cream carpets because they attract and show upo stains . Accidents happen everywhere a swirly dark carpet can save you a load of bond money ,ergo cream carpets money for landlord off bond

, the location was perfect and although old (think exposed brick Walls & jarah everywhere) it had real charm, 180 degree balconies and even sea !

We're 20 mins away send me your address and I'm on my way round lol Actually my friend has just secured a rental here in Leeming, which has such a homely feel to it - hard to believe they're not the owners it feels so nice .... shows there are some gems out there.

We're 20 mins away send me your address and I'm on my way round lol Actually my friend has just secured a rental here in Leeming, which has such a homely feel to it - hard to believe they're not the owners it feels so nice .... shows there are some gems out there.

Are there cream carpets !!!!

I know you're joking but I will. Sunday afternoon on our balcony has become quite a tradition - this week we're having some Aussie friends over so I'm planning a proper English afternoon tea now where can I get clotted cream?? :)

Are there cream carpets !!!!

There are in ours! Although it does have red and yellow and blue swirly bits problem is they weren't there when we moved in and are thanks to the body paint my son got for Xmas! Inspection on Tuesday!

Guest gilly88

If anybody wants a 3 bed 2 bath 2 toilet one lounge/diner in the Hocking area please let me know may be able to help you please pm me

Guest karldyble

Hi Klong.

This message is not meant to be insulting or condescending but you have a problem for which you have asked for help so I’m going to be as objective as possible.

I don’t know you or your other half but from your posts so far I can make a fair assumption of why you haven’t found a property so far. Put simply, you are being way too fussy. Ask yourself, are you an immigrant looking for a first step on the ladder in a new country? If yes, then grab anything for 6 months and move up from there. Don’t get pressured into signing a 12 month contract as to be honest you don’t know Perth (you’ve already conceded to it being very different to how you remember it) and 12 months is a long time in a place you don’t want to be.

You said you have no kids or pets?? So, get a cheap unit for 6 months or a small villa. The problem is that you seem to be searching for the ‘perfect house’ in which to start a family. Act for now. Sort the two of you out first then look at a family home when you can afford one and when you need one. You’ve already said that it’s a struggle to make end meet so don’t rush to make the situation worse. No-one expects you to live in a crack den but lower your expectations for your first place and as people have said, your next place, which can be more to your liking, will be easier to get.

Think from a real estate agents’ point of view, you are fresh off the plane, don’t have great jobs, have no Aussie credit history and don’t have tons of money….to them you’re a risk. Business is business whatever country you’re in. Australia maybe an old British colony but you don’t get extra points for being English. Add a touch of fussiness and maybe the odd gripe to a real estate agent regarding your plight??? into the bargain then they may consider you to be a high maintenance tenant, which in a sellers market will result in a refusal every time as put simply, they don’t need it. They’ll make their money anyhow so they might as well make it as easy as possible.

Just as a thought, have you done a proper budget sheet according to the figures set out by the agent i.e. rent as a percentage of earnings? Maybe the properties you are viewing are simply out of your price range. They may not be I don’t know but it’s worth a look.

You said that since you’ve moved over here you’re driving old cars, living with parents and your OH is doing a crappy job?? Do you remember when you first started making your own way as an adult in the UK? I bet you drove an old car, lived with your parents and did a crappy job? Unless you arrive in a new country with a truck load of money you need to see it as starting over again like an 18 year old. Don’t expect to simply pick up the same standard of living here that you left in the UK. You didn’t get your city centre apartment, nice cars and good jobs instantly there so don’t expect it here. Start low and cheap and work up from there. Keep the costs and obligations down until you are organised and more financially secure. In short act like an IMMIGRANT because that’s what you are.

Good luck, it’s tough but worth it.

I really can't understand why people assume that we came over here expecting a free ride and for our lives to be really easy. We work damn hard for everything we have both here and in the UK. We have never expected anything for free or ever been lucky enough to have things handed to us on a plate. Neither of us have ever claimed dole, job seekers allowance or any other kind of benefit. I feel like people think we're asking for the moon on a stick when all I really want is a home for us to get on with our lives. I wasn't expecting a welcome party at the airport but I certainly wasn't expecting the cold shoulder at every turn.

I have lived here before in Perth and things were never this hard last time I was here. I have planned and planned this move and nothing could have prepared me for the changes. We were turned down for our third rental today and that was even having someone offering to act as a guarantor for us. We gave copies of every payslip we had since we arrived here, photocopies of our passport, bank card, Medicare card and WA driving licence. It seems that in order to get a property now you need to pay 6 months rent upfront to even be in the running. A property we went to view the other day had about 15 couples viewing it!

Good luck to anyone who is going through the same thing as us. It's not pleasant and I hope that you all succeed and can have a good life here in Perth. Fingers crossed to you all.

P.S Hi bobcat, we have been looking in Jindalee, Butler, Quinns Rocks, Tapping, Sinagra, Diannella, Balcatta, Balga, Madeley etc etc etc!!! We are after a 3x2 or a 4x2 and preferably something new or older but with a neutral decor. We have beautiful new furniture sitting in storage waiting to be delivered and all I ask is that the property is clean and nice looking. I have seen some properties with pink and cream swirly patterened carpets with yellow stains all over it and while I'm not a snob, I do draw the line at filthy dirty places that I'd be scared to walk in without shoes on!!

Hi Klong

I still haven't heard from you so I'm not too sure if you are still looking for a rental?

I have a very nice fairly new 4 X 2 rental coming up in next couple of weeks in Tapping at $450 per week if that is any use to you? The other properties I mentioned to you a couple of days ago have all been let out now........... we are actually booked into sign up 3 lots of tenants this morning.

The majority of my tenants are newly arrived migrants, not necessarily from the UK. A lot of migrants contact us from overseas prior to their arrival here. If we can, depending on their wants ............ we go out of our way to cater for their needs.

We had PIO members over from the UK last month, they popped into our office and we took them out and showed them the ropes. They are back in the UK now; when they return once visas are sorted and they sell their house over there.......... we will find them a short term rental for them to find their feet......... then we will advise them how to go about purchasing property once they are ready.

For you to have missed out on so many rental properties; you are obviously doing something wrong? If you need help from a Real Estate Agency owner, I am only a phone call away and our office at most is 10 minutes away from where you live in Wanneroo?

Things do sound a bit grim for you, but if you do a search on this site for a post I called 'I'm going to tell you a story'.............. that will let you into what it was like when we first arrived here in the days when there were no migrant forums offering help on computers, and we hardly knew anybody............... yet we stuck it out when times were indeed tough........... but we managed to go onto bigger and better things. I was out of work for 4 years with three small kids so it was bloody hard to get on in life........... we didn't whinge, we just got on with it and tried to give it a go. Now we're laughing all the way to the bank.

Good Luck

John Mason aka Bobcat

Principal/Licensee

John Mason Real Estate

I hope you have found accomodation now,but if you havnt or are paying too much we are moving out off our rented(3/1) in 4/5 weeks/$350 pw in kingsley(north of the river) in to our first house,the rented is private so no messing about.we could put your name forward if it helps.

Guest klong

Hi everyone, well I can't believe it but we have finally got a house!! We got a lovely brand new 3 x 2 in Tapping and it feels like a weight has been lifter off our shoulders. We are both so excited that our lives here can actually start properly now.

It was an almost instant feeling of relief when we found out and we move in Thursday so really looking forward to being reunited with our furniture and clothes. It's starting to get colder now so my winter clothes will be very welcome!!

So happy!!!:biglaugh::jiggy:

Guest soon2move

glad to hear it - persistence does pay off even if sometimes it doesn't feel like it'll ever come to an end. Good luck in the new pad...i'm sure it will be great to get your furniture too - this is something we are still waiting for :(

Best of luck.

Hi everyone, well I can't believe it but we have finally got a house!! We got a lovely brand new 3 x 2 in Tapping and it feels like a weight has been lifter off our shoulders. We are both so excited that our lives here can actually start properly now.

It was an almost instant feeling of relief when we found out and we move in Thursday so really looking forward to being reunited with our furniture and clothes. It's starting to get colder now so my winter clothes will be very welcome!!

oh well done!! i bet you are soo happy! been following your thread with interest!!! good luck with the move.

shez x:hug:

I was really worried when I first read this thread but my mind has now been put at rest. There has been a huge amount of help given and it just shows people are there ready to help if need be.

I notice that maybe there hasnt been a great deal of thanks so, can I just say thanks from me for all the helpers in this thread :wubclub:

Onwards and upwards ! all the best :wink:

whooohooo ...everything comes to he who waits ....enjoy !!!!

mrs keily

Guest klong

Yes thank you to everyone for your suggestions and help. It has been a really hard time but the thought of sleeping in my very own bed tomorrow night is so exciting!!!

All our furniture is arriving tomorrow and it's amazing to think that this time tomorrow I'm gonna be back in my own bed and I'll have all my clothes and stuff around me!! Oh joy!!

:jiggy:

Archived