Cyclone Warning

Bobj

Gotta get all loose objects stored safely; potplants, garden tools etc. put in the garage, have a window open on the opposite side to the wind (wind pressure). All valuable documents stored, emergency food rations, water, batteries, portable radio...Vehicle fuelled up, just in case.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen

Take care Bob. Does anyone have storm shelters up there, or is it just a case of boarding up windows etc?

Take care Bob. Does anyone have storm shelters up there, or is it just a case of boarding up windows etc?

It's a matter of fending for yourself. Most of the towns along the tropical coast get this warning virtually every year and the people know the drill.

Thanks, mate.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest siamsusie
It's a matter of fending for yourself. Most of the towns along the tropical coast get this warning virtually every year and the people know the drill.

Thanks, mate.

Cheers, Bobj.

Keep safe Bob!..... :hug:

Gotta get all loose objects stored safely; potplants, garden tools etc. put in the garage, have a window open on the opposite side to the wind (wind pressure). All valuable documents stored, emergency food rations, water, batteries, portable radio...Vehicle fuelled up, just in case.

Cheers, Bobj.

Wow Bob, you are well organized!

It's bone dry over here in Perth and has been for some time, could you send some of the rain to us. :wink:

Anyway, take care.

Victoria

Have you ever had any serious damage?

Not personally, but I have seen a couple of aftermaths; one being The Darwin and cyclone Tracy. Odd seeing a steel post through a reinforced steel joist and a toilet perched 15 ft up on a pipe..and no house... And another in WA, cyclone name unknown but a caravan park got a big tail-flick out on the edge of the desert. We were given steel posts and 1/4inch cable to secure the vans. one hour to bang the posts in the hard pindan sand, cable over the vans and secured with "D" shackles. All vans had been sand blasted by 60 knot winds and tumultuous rain. Next morning we literally pulled the steel posts up without any trouble, a minute at the most to pull each post...Well, we did have 7 inches of rain to wet the ground.

The main dam, Lake Argyle, in the Kimberlies was filled in 2 years because of a cyclone. It was supposed to fill in 4 years; the biggest dam in mainland Australia.

Oh, and 19 inches in 21 hours in Derby, WA.

Cheers, Bobj.

Wow Bob, you are well organized!

It's bone dry over here in Perth and has been for some time, could you send some of the rain to us. :wink:

Anyway, take care.

Victoria

You can have the bl**dy lot!!:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
Not personally, but I have seen a couple of aftermaths; one being The Darwin and cyclone Tracy. Odd seeing a steel post through a reinforced steel joist and a toilet perched 15 ft up on a pipe..and no house... And another in WA, cyclone name unknown but a caravan park got a big tail-flick out on the edge of the desert. We were given steel posts and 1/4inch cable to secure the vans. one hour to bang the posts in the hard pindan sand, cable over the vans and secured with "D" shackles. All vans had been sand blasted by 60 knot winds and tumultuous rain. Next morning we literally pulled the steel posts up without any trouble, a minute at the most to pull each post...Well, we did have 7 inches of rain to wet the ground.

The main dam, Lake Argyle, in the Kimberlies was filled in 2 years because of a cyclone. It was supposed to fill in 4 years; the biggest dam in mainland Australia.

Oh, and 19 inches in 21 hours in Derby, WA.

Cheers, Bobj.

:chatterbox: and I was hoping to convince OH to move up your way when we come up in June/July. Let's hope he doesn't read this:wideeyed:

:chatterbox: and I was hoping to convince OH to move up your way when we come up in June/July. Let's hope he doesn't read this:wideeyed:

Been here 10 years and this is the closest yet. We get the warnings each and every year. But what an amazing life for the other 51 weeks.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

We drove up to The Darwin for a long weekend, Jo was a nurse which helped us get in. It was terrible.

The Asti motel where we used to stay, had/has a photo of a car in the swimming pool...It was blown OVER the fence. Street after street just flattened.

Cheers, Bobj.

First time I saw a government cyclone warning on TV I thought it was an advert from some cheap electrical joint; all sirens and flashing lights.

Upped my house insurance yesterday, been looking at new house plans in case this one breaks and I get a nice new, non-asbestos one.

Good luck Bob, mine's the Stacer 4.2 in case you see me floating down Milton Street.

I hear it's downgraded to 3 now. I guess that's goog?Gladstone also gets lots of warning but I'm told the islands provide shelter so they seldom hit.Cuz says the last one wrecked all the churches but left the pubs standing, so guess where everyone heads!!Keep safe. We were planning on moving our bed on an open trailer on Saturday!

We drove up to The Darwin for a long weekend, Jo was a nurse which helped us get in. It was terrible.

The Asti motel where we used to stay, had/has a photo of a car in the swimming pool...It was blown OVER the fence. Street after street just flattened.

Cheers, Bobj.

I'll never forget that Christmas day when the news got thro'! Tears still come to my eyes when I think of it.

have a window open on the opposite side to the wind (wind pressure).

Cheers, Bobj.

An interesting rule. I guess, you all have "manuals" how to stay safe with hurricanes. :wink:

Will need my own soon as I've never experienced storms before.

Keep safe Bobj!

Cyclone Ului is about to hit the coast some 50 km north of me at 1 AM Qld time.. As I write, the winds are fairly good (40 knots) and the cyclone is approaching at 28 kmh. It has been upgraded to category 3 in the last 30 minutes.

Winds to 165 kmh at the centre.

Mackay weather radar loop and lightning tracker

I live half way between Calen and Shoal point.

Cheers, Bobj.

Lot of damage done a few years ago a lot of people lost their homes up that way.

I saw what Cyclone Tracy did in Darwin what Darwin it was raised. Had to fly through on my way to Kununurra.

Haven't seen that name for a while, we worked on El Questro Station at Emma Gorge just outside Kununnurra in 92. Would love to take the kids up there to see the real outback lifestyle when we get to Oz. We had a great time, the scenery is beautiful (the cowboys not so!)

Sorry off topic.

STAY SAFE x:wubclub:

Archived