What to ship and what to ditch?

Dancingsanta

Hi guys, me and my partner are planning to move to QLD in July but were stumped on what to take and what not to. We have been told that linen is expensive so to take that but there so much were not sure of. Here's a list of the stuff were confused on so if anyone has any advise please could you write back.

Cooker

Washing machine

Sofa

Plates, cutlery, glasses etc

Duvets & pillows

Bed

Chest of drawers

Also does anyone know how they do shipping costs, is it dependent on the size of the container or the weight of your stuff?

Cheers:cute:

Hi guys, me and my partner are planning to move to QLD in July but were stumped on what to take and what not to. We have been told that linen is expensive so to take that but there so much were not sure of. Here's a list of the stuff were confused on so if anyone has any advise please could you write back.

Also does anyone know how they do shipping costs, is it dependent on the size of the container or the weight of your stuff?

Wheres the list??????????

:err:

Melanie x

hiya

we are ditching most stuff, well selling, giving away and buying new, but we are renting for at least a year before we buy and i belive most places have white goods, plus we cant be bothered with the hassle of shipping -

we are taking from your list

Duvets & pillows

Beds

Alot of people ship everything but we would like to start fresh with aussie stuff, so we get the warrenties etc

just take what you feel is best for you really i think :biggrin:

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to PIO. Definitely take your Manchester, it costs an absolute fortune over here.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't bother with the oven, most are inbuilt now and are included in both rentals and the houses you buy. Fridge/Freezers can be another hard one, as most of the new houses have a specific area for your fridge/freezer and sometimes you can find this is not large enough for the fridge you want and you may end up with having it in your lounge or somewhere ridiculous.

Bring Coat hangers, yes I know it sounds silly, but they cost a fortune and it soon mounts up.

Have fun

Kate

hiya

we are ditching most stuff, well selling, giving away and buying new, but we are renting for at least a year before we buy and i belive most places have white goods,

cooker and dishwasher provided if you are lucky , white goods in oz are not cheap and with the poor exchange rate be more expensive, Indesit moon washer £300 in uk $1200 here , I agree shipping can be a bind but if you are not shipping how are you gettin beds there

plus we cant be bothered with the hassle of shipping -

we are taking from your list

Duvets & pillows

Beds

Alot of people ship everything but we would like to start fresh with aussie stuff, so we get the warrenties etc

just take what you feel is best for you really i think :biggrin:

Hi and welcome to PIO. Definitely take your Manchester, it costs an absolute fortune over here.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't bother with the oven, most are inbuilt now and are included in both rentals and the houses you buy. Fridge/Freezers can be another hard one, as most of the new houses have a specific area for your fridge/freezer and sometimes you can find this is not large enough for the fridge you want and you may end up with having it in your lounge or somewhere ridiculous.

Bring Coat hangers, yes I know it sounds silly, but they cost a fortune and it soon mounts up.

Have fun

Kate

We had the opposite with the fridges .brought our fridge from the uk ( aka beer fridge now) and bought a big ?fridge freezer 2nd rental ,old house no way would it fit ,stood in the corner of the lounge telly room lol, ( at least not far to go fora drink ) , in our new home , its dwarfed in the recess lol, looks like a little beer fridge ,methinks a commercial butcher s fridge mite look cool, in our experience the stuff we didnt bring has drawn many "wish we had brought bloomin so and so " apart from the red footed dog:arghh:

Mally

Thanks everyone this is really helpful. You say shipping goes on volume which is great news, can anyone give me an idea of how much half a container is or if you can have less than that. We don't want to get quotes just yet as were still sorting alot of other stuff out so any advise is appreciated

Cheers :)

Thanks everyone this is really helpful. You say shipping goes on volume which is great news, can anyone give me an idea of how much half a container is or if you can have less than that. We don't want to get quotes just yet as were still sorting alot of other stuff out so any advise is appreciated

Cheers :)

We shared a 20 foot container ,basically they board the container in half or the space you are allocated , we were going to flog a load of stuff but brought it with us , these houses are big and you need a bit of gear to fill we had a 3 seat 2 seat leather suites £2500 18 months old mint offered £250 nah way , i found you got bugger all sellin so with the price of shippin it weighed up and put less on the set up bill

We shared a 20 foot container ,basically they board the container in half or the space you are allocated , we were going to flog a load of stuff but brought it with us , these houses are big and you need a bit of gear to fill we had a 3 seat 2 seat leather suites £2500 18 months old mint offered £250 nah way , i found you got bugger all sellin so with the price of shippin it weighed up and put less on the set up bill

So do you mind me asking how much you paid for half a 20ft container?

Put it this way we are taking everything but we have a 6/7 bedroom house and we have some business things plus unusual items like a pub pool table juke box etc its gonna cost more like £7-8,000 to ship that. If a 20ft we were advised around £3400.

From speaking to people already there they wish they had brought everything down to can opener with them. We have found bedlinen, towels, pillows and clothes are very expensive to replace over there so are white goods weigh up the costs by going on various websites we have checked on so they are coming with us we can always sell them over there if not needed.

Depends I feel if your furniture is old and will soon need replacing and if you have the money to replace them either by buying new or second hand when you get there. Its also amazing how many boxes personal stuff adds upto when you start with books, photo albums, vases etc.. even boxes of clothing. Even shoes and handbags. Not forgetting TV, DVD Players, consoles etc...

Get someone in and give you a quote we have had 5 different companies so far and be prepared to haggle they will come down.

remember it will take 3-4 months for your stuff to arrive so don't bring things you will need immediately like basic crockery and cutlery. having said that we brought almost everything apart from furniture and 'white goods'. all of our furntiure and white goods were nearing the end of their usefulness so we replaced them when we got a rental. you will probably need beds before they can be shipped so unless they are priceless I wouldn't bother.

remember it will take 3-4 months for your stuff to arrive so don't bring things you will need immediately like basic crockery and cutlery. having said that we brought almost everything apart from furniture and 'white goods'. all of our furntiure and white goods were nearing the end of their usefulness so we replaced them when we got a rental. you will probably need beds before they can be shipped so unless they are priceless I wouldn't bother.

£ to 4 months was that on a slow boat to us via china took ours 9 weeks , you have to way up the set up costs against shippin and with the exchange rate its gettin worse for settin up

£ to 4 months was that on a slow boat to us via china took ours 9 weeks , you have to way up the set up costs against shippin and with the exchange rate its gettin worse for settin up

and the aggravation of having to go out and buy stuff when you get there.

We have had one company out today and 5 more next week. The one today has come out at £3600 for sole use 20ft container plus insurance. We are taking more or less everything (except fridge and cooker/they are old anyway) They did say though, that if others came in cheaper, they would try and match it, so haggle!

Melanie x

Guest PaulandJulie

Hi,

Which company came round to give the above quote as we have a few coming in the next couple of weeks.

Cooker

Washing machine

Sofa

Duvets & pillows

Bed

Chest of drawers

If it's in good Knick keep it. Money will hemorage out of every hole once your there so take all thats good.

Good luck

John

Archived