Back to the UK after 5 months.

Guest rayman1

Guest rayman1

We fly back to the Uk in 48 hours after 6 years, we lived in Brisbane for 1.5 years and now live in Melbourne, I can safely say that Australia is now becoming expensive in relation to Real Estate, Renting and all utillities have gradually increased over the time we have lived here, Food in particular is expensive as is alcohol and clothing. I think the first 12 months of living here was like a holiday, it takes years to get used to living here and for many including us its not what we want now. Good luck to all going home and those making a life for themselves here.

Thanks Gemjay. At least after 6 years you know it is not for you. 5 Months made me realise LOL. We are hoping to be flying back end of March. Kids back in same school so education not messed up. Have to start job hunting and house buying again but feelers out.

All the best to you and the family and be happy.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AndyandYvonneD
Isn't that a contradiction ?

Really the only bill you wouldn't have here is the TV license.

Brisbane has become a pretty expensive place in the last 4 or 5 years there is no doubt about that.

I really like living in Brisbane and it is probably the only place I would live here having grown up in Victoria, having said that it isn't where I want to live.

I'm always happy to hear that others love it here but as with anywhere it isn't for everyone.

No WE dont have gas, tv license, water.............all of which we used to pay in the UK, and did I say it was for everyone..............NO I dont think I did............but WE still love it here and will not be going back

Yvonne

Guest chris955

Sorry I was using YOU in a generic sense, anyone in their own home. When we bought our place we sort of forgot about all the bills that suddenly become our responsibility :laugh:

I think we get it, you love it here and wont be going back :wink:

Guest funkymonkey
No WE dont have gas, tv license, water.............all of which we used to pay in the UK, and did I say it was for everyone..............NO I dont think I did............but WE still love it here and will not be going back

Yvonne

I thought you had to pay water usage bill but not annual rates when in a rental, we did anyway?

Hi there

We have been over here in Perth now for just over a month and loving it.

It is hard the first month and you need plenty of money especially if you havent a job to come to. You spend the first month sorting out the necessities, bank account, medicare card, tax file numbers, a vehicle, a long term rental, then there's schools for the kids, things to buy when your stuff arrives at the port because you left things at home that you really need once you move into an unfurnished rental. Then after all this you start looking for a job and have to accept that you get turned down because the other person that got the job has 20 years WA experience.

You get turned down for rentals in favour of someone esle because you havent got a job and you have pets so then you say you will pay 6 months in advance (which is a lot of money and the Landlords love it) and regardless of pets or not you get the rental and just hope that you get a job after the 6 months is up because they like you to sign a 12 month lease:arghh:

They are a bit more tolerant with cats than dogs i might add and the size of the dog plays a big part in any rental decision i have found.

The good news is that we have found jobs after applying for anything that is remotely similar to what we did in the UK and we both start on Monday. The only problem is that the jobs are in different directions so we now need to buy another car and hope someone will give us finace as we had to buy our first car up front as we had no job at that point.

My daughter came with us for the first 3 and a half weeks to validate her visa and then she went back to Uni to finish her final years nursing studies. The good news was that she wonders why she ever went back to the UK as she walked into Tesco out of the freezing cold weather to stock up on some shopping on her arrival home and asked herself 'what am i doing here'. It just goes to show, it doesnt suit everyone but even though the last few weeks have been hard and we can now see light at the end of the tunnel, i wake up happier everyday waking up to the sunshine and the way of life over here. I must say i havent met anyone yet as regards friends but hey, i have only been in the long term rental 2 days and havent started work until next week so there is time for that.

For all of you definately coming, if you have a Tom Tom GPS then definitely download the Australian map from the Tom Tom website - it has been an absoulte god send because many places look the same/familiar and it would definately have taken us twice as long to get round without it, it really really has been brilliant especially when you have appointments and dont know where you are going.

The other thing is we have been to Florida, USA about six times on holiday and if i didnt know i was in Australia, i would have thought i was in the USA it is so similar in many ways, the roads (apart from driving on the right side over here), the road signs, the houses, how the shops are set out, not as many fast food restaurants but quite a few, having to travel long distances and think nothing of it, etc. etc.

Anyway guys will keep you updated, take care and i wish you everything you wish for.

Debbie xx

Guest chris955

We thought the exact same thing when we went to Florida years ago, we always say that everything here looks temporary and the same was true in the US. I think that actually contributes to lots of people not settling here, it is just so different and maybe just too different for some and I can understand that.

Guest rayman1
We thought the exact same thing when we went to Florida years ago, we always say that everything here looks temporary and the same was true in the US. I think that actually contributes to lots of people not settling here, it is just so different and maybe just too different for some and I can understand that.

You are so right Chris955. I have been to Florida quite a few times and although I loved it for a holiday the family said it isn't the place to live. I feel the same about Australia. Because it is so different and because you do get a sense of wanting familiarity it made it so hard. I honestly did not know what to expect. I had visited before and liked what I saw but living day to day life is so different than living the dream. I know in years to come we would have missed our closeness with family and with the idea of paying soo much in mortgage feels us with dread so hopefully made the right decision.

Australia was a great place for a holiday but the UK is where we be living.

P.S. it is amazing that lots of people I talk to never seem to shake the feeling off of going back to the UK and still class it as home. And why do they still keep their UK homes? Wish we had LOL.

I am glad you enjoy it Andy and all the best to you. We chose the south and it is expensive here. Have you looked into buying yet. We unfortunately came over with little money so would scrap together a desposit but with the mortgage being so much would definitley have less financially than the UK. We have found bills etc similar to the UK (petrol alot cheaper) but ultimely I feel it was not for us. I personally do not think the schooling is better than the UK (UK uni's are second to none)! and when the adventure of visiting queenslands wears off thing that life would not be better for us here. I know I had a good life in the UK and chased the dream of sunshine, big open spaces etc but it is what is in your heart that counts. How long have you been here?

If our circumstances had been different we may have stayed but all the best to those who love it here and call Australia for the rest of their lifes.

I went to Uni in the UK and wouldn't agree with second to none. I went to Birmingham however so I'm sure there are a lot better than that. I did a Systems Engineering degree and the class was made up of about 1/3 English, 1/3 Iranian/Iraqi and 1/3 Indian/Pakistani/Chinese. Language problem for most students straight away. Luckily our lecturers were all English. At the time the war was on between Iraq and Iran so it was tricky for some students. One Iraqi guy had a picture of Sadam Hussain on his watch (I kid you not) I asked him who it was, as this was back in 82 and he replied "it's my president" with some pride. Would have been the same as me walking round with a picture of Margaret Thatcher on my watch, imagine that.

Half the class failed in the first year but the rest of us muddled through. My experience with Universities and students here has been pretty good so far. The University of WA is just down the road from where I work and it's a great campus. I use their swimming pool at lunchtime, they have a couple of very good gyms, squash and tennis courts, all in good condition and they are right on the river so have great rowing clubs. They have numerous bars and canteens throughout the uni and the prices for decent food aren't that bad. I eat in one of them frequently. I think the main thing I notice about the place is that it feels safe to walk around. There are a large number of foreign students there but it doesn't seem like there's a problem between different groups.

I saw a lot of problems in the UK. The white guys from Birmingham, who mostly lived at home and not in the halls of res, did not have anything to do with the other guys from our class. I think they had a couple of bad experiences when they were growing up. Fortunately I was born and raised in Chesterfield so just took people as I found them and got on pretty well with most.

All up though I wasn't unhappy to get it over with and leave Birmingham.

Guest chris955

I think most people who have been to Birmingham will agree with that :laugh:

All up though I wasn't unhappy to get it over with and leave Birmingham.

Guest rayman1

I think the focus is drifting away from the thread. I wrote just to emphasis that emigrating is not for everyone. You have to be very emotionally strong, be realistic that the country you are going to my be VERY expensive and it is alot different than a holiday or watching 'Wanted down under'. Sometimes a dream is just that, a dream.

I am not knocking Australia at all. It is a great place to live if you can afford it and don't have too many emotional ties for the place you left. Unfortunately this was the case for me and my family. All the people who love it here, great. That is the dream you had and it has come true. England, warts and all, is home and hopefully we will be better people for coming on the adventure. I have been the Egypt. Absolutely loved it but wouldn't want to live there!

So don't knock people for their views. I hope everyone, where ever they are, will see life as one big adventure and be happy with the decisions they make with their lives. I know alot of my perceptions have changed.

Empathise completely - we too are on the sunshine coast and it is the most beautiful location - but empty and boring at the same time. I will always hold it fondly in my heart as we have made some exceptional friends here and Mooloolaba is just gorgeous. But there's not a lot else. My teenage sons who are older that yours (18 and 20) can't wait to get back to pubs and gigs and a good night out and uni courses that are challenging and banter that is funny. My 15 yr old daughter has an aussie accent and is now into boys so doesn't want to go back - but we're sure she will adapt. Hope your move goes well - we're heading back in June/July.

Where are you moving to in UK - we're heading to Bucks/Chilterns.

Hi Rayman1

Just to say that I totally understand everything you are saying. We moved to the sunshine coast back in September 2009. My hubbie and I had been out here 20 years ago on a working visa for a year and loved it.

We came out again for four weeks to validate our visa in 2008 with our teenage boys and then just my hubbie and I for couple of weeks in Feb 2009.

Arrived here in September and we are now making plans to move back to England at the end of April. It just was not for us. It is far too quiet on the sunshine coast for us. We had everything we wanted in England. Boys were happy (they are 14 and 16), we were happy, lots of close family and friends that we spend a lot of time with. Both in good jobs, lovely home. I think we underestimated just how important our relationships were with all our family and friends. Our boys didnt like it here and cant wait to get back to everyone at home - it has given them a new appreciation of what they had.

Bored with the beaches and the weather. It rains just as much here as it does in England. There is just nothing here that compensates for the people that we left behind. And we struggle to see how life here is better for us or our boys than it is in England. Australia is great for a holiday but living here is a whole different kettle of fish. Im not going to slag Australia off just as I now wish that people wouldnt slag the UK off.

Now finding it very expensive to tie up all the loose ends here and make our way home but we will do it and not a moment too soon.

All the best with your journey and I would just like to say to everyone contemplating coming out , think very carefully about what you already have at home because this is the most difficult thing we have ever done. I know when I was planning to move out here I used to read posts like this and say to myself - 'they must be mad, how could they prefer the UK to Australia, its rubbish here in the UK'. All I will say now is 'theres no place like home' (wherever it may be).

Oops meant to post this quote I was replying to.

Guest chris955

Certainly not knocking others views, it is just odd how people see things in different countries. I fully accept there is a lot of crime in the UK as there is here, I accept the weather can be crap but have realised it is not a major priority, if it is that is fine as well.

So don't knock people for their views. I hope everyone, where ever they are, will see life as one big adventure and be happy with the decisions they make with their lives. I know alot of my perceptions have changed.

Guest rayman1
Empathise completely - we too are on the sunshine coast and it is the most beautiful location - but empty and boring at the same time. I will always hold it fondly in my heart as we have made some exceptional friends here and Mooloolaba is just gorgeous. But there's not a lot else. My teenage sons who are older that yours (18 and 20) can't wait to get back to pubs and gigs and a good night out and uni courses that are challenging and banter that is funny. My 15 yr old daughter has an aussie accent and is now into boys so doesn't want to go back - but we're sure she will adapt. Hope your move goes well - we're heading back in June/July.

Where are you moving to in UK - we're heading to Bucks/Chilterns.

Hi. Indeed Mooloolaba is lovely and so is Noosa. But there is only so much sun and beach you can do before the holiday wears off and you think their must be more to life. We did lots in the uk, walking, horse riding, flyball, skiing and lots with our family. I know you can do things here but they are not the same. You can have fun nights out in pubs without getting drunk and smashing the place up! I certainly didn't. My son and daughter do miss their friends and have made some here but not the same. I find the Australians do not understand the English, especially the humour. We take the mickey relentlessly of each other as part of who we are; they do not understand this. I love comedy but this is not the place for that!

We are moving at the end of march back to South Yorkshire. May not be the best place in the UK but affordable and HOME. My son is happy to be getting back to his old school to resume his GCSE's. (Doesn't like the school he is in, to much religion and not enough education).

I know your sons will love the social life of the UK uni's and am sure your daughter will still be into boys in the UK. With an accent they'll love her!

All the best mate and if you feel like I do now it is a great relief!!

I think the focus is drifting away from the thread. I wrote just to emphasis that emigrating is not for everyone. You have to be very emotionally strong, be realistic that the country you are going to my be VERY expensive and it is alot different than a holiday or watching 'Wanted down under'. Sometimes a dream is just that, a dream.

I am not knocking Australia at all. It is a great place to live if you can afford it and don't have too many emotional ties for the place you left. Unfortunately this was the case for me and my family. All the people who love it here, great. That is the dream you had and it has come true. England, warts and all, is home and hopefully we will be better people for coming on the adventure. I have been the Egypt. Absolutely loved it but wouldn't want to live there!

We've been here 6 months now. We are adjusting gradually dont 'lurve it' dont hate it! Our 18 year old twins have settled into TAFE courses that will lead to apprenticeships and seem very happy which is the main result! My husband does love his job which he chose over a much better paid post and I am part time in a job very similar to the one I left in the UK. However the cost of living is exhausting! We have an expensive rental in a well heeled suburb so we are really noticing the price hikes with everyday stuff and the ridiculous house prices for properties that are no more ( in some cases ) than posh sheds! LOL. We are living on Aussie dollars- all our money is in the UK and we are not prepared to take a 15 % loss on the exchange rates. So its homebrands, packed lunches and other economies- a bit like when we were first married. Totally agree with your comments about age- its is very different to do this in your 40's with teenagers. However its working out for them and they had no future in the UK- being slap bang in the brunt of the worst hit recession demographic. I could go either way still. Horses for courses- a bit of real money would help though and a cheaper rental asap in normalsville would be good!!!

All the very best- seriously well done for trying and realising in time to turn it from a disastrous permanent choice to a positive life experience! Good Luck x

Guest samjones
I think most people who have been to Birmingham will agree with that :laugh:

Hey dont tarnish the whole of Birmingham, with the same brush. Ever been to Four Oaks, Little Aston etc

I really feel sorry for anyone that doesn’t like Australia enough to want to spend their life there, and I’m not trying to be condescending, but a lot of you have put your lives on hold, spent a lot of money had arguments with family, lost friends (couldn’t of been that good IMHO) etc to start this new life in Australia that isn’t working and it must be one of the hardest things to come to terms with that things have not worked out as expected.

But what I don’t understand is how can after 5 months 12 months however long, can you give up? I remember times when I have cried for no reason other than I missed my old life, whenever something has gone wrong, well that wouldn’t have happened in Australia..... Well guess what I bet it did, it’s just I choose not to remember those times! Go back 4 years and I couldn’t of listed 1 thing that the UK had going for it, sign’s on motorways, stupid! Food, crap! Service, Crap! Crime, everywhere! And the list went on........ This place was not Australia and anything different was just wrong!!!

If you spend your time thinking of all of the things you miss and how good your life was, how on earth do you expect to make a life for yourself in Australia? All you are doing is teasing yourself and not being fair! Even now nearly 7 years on I still miss things about Australia, but in all honesty I’ve not been fair to the UK or myself because I’ve always wanted to go home (but I never came to the UK looking for a new life I came for a working holiday and stayed)

If court goes against us and we can’t move to Australia I have 3 choices, make Tracy leave Jake behind, leave Tracy and my kids and move back on my own or Stay and make it work. Well it’s option 3 for me every time

I know deep down the UK will offer my family a good life, and it’s about making the best of what you have around you. I think if people started to look at the positives they have and were looking forward, rather than looking behind and concentrating on the negatives they would settle a lot easier.

I’m not saying Australia is perfect, better or worse it’s different and it’s how we make the differences work for us, that determines if we will stay or not.

Good luck to everyone whether you are coming, going or staying.

Geoffrey

Guest guest30038

Good 'un Geoffrey :yes:

I honestly think it worked for us because we didn't consider for a moment what we left behind...........in fact, it's only since coming to PIO that I have had doubts. I couldn't afford to doubt for a minute when we first came here..........we had to make it work.

In some cases, and for some people, I think the "had to" isn't as strong as the reminisces.

kev

Good 'un Geoffrey :yes:

I honestly think it worked for us because we didn't consider for a moment what we left behind...........in fact, it's only since coming to PIO that I have had doubts. I couldn't afford to doubt for a minute when we first came here..........we had to make it work.

In some cases, and for some people, I think the "had to" isn't as strong as the reminisces.

kev

Too right mate , we are only chabbies here , but soon as the pension was transferred , htats it we are here till the box or grey jacket (my wishes) lol

Guest samjones
Unfortunately only lived in Sparkhill for a couple of years. The first year in the halls of res in Egbaston were OK.

Ok fairly grime, good and bad areas everywhere. If you dont mind me asking what are the best areas around perth?

Hi,

We've been on the Gold Caost for almost two months now and have seen that it is more expensive than we had thought. We thought that overall there would be little difference in the cost of living, but medical costs (bulk billing for adults is difficult to find), after school activities for our daughter, rent, houses and even general shopping (especially soft drinks) makes the Gold Coast a really expensive place to live. On top of that the appalling exchange rate is putting me off of transferring money and it has done nothing but rain since we arrived here. My wife misses her family very much but we are holding out to see if things will get better as time goes by. Moving back to the UK isn't an option as the move to Oz cost so much and we also gained little from our house sale.

Still our stuff arrives soon and the customs people can charge us more money!

If money were no object things would be easier I suppose - where's my lottery ticket gone???

Ok fairly grime, good and bad areas everywhere. If you dont mind me asking what are the best areas around perth?

Hi there

There is north and south of the river in Perth. After living here for a month i would say that the best areas down South are Secret Harbour, Atwell, Success and Baldivis is an up and coming area with all new housing, shopping centre etc.

Mandurah is a very nice area as well to visit with Dolphin Quay etc. and the apartments there are megabucks to rent.

Up north you are talking about Mindarie, Joondalup, Hillarys and Connelly.

Butler and Quinns Rock further up North are a bit cheaper and Butler is known by the Ozzies as Little Britain because a lot of British settle there.

From the CBD there is a lot more traffic heading up north when people finish work at night and it can be horrendous, hence the advice given to us that if you live anywhere near the train station then park on the nearest train station car park and commute.

Hope this helps.

Debbie x

Archived