Taking prescription tablets into oz

LYNMACMD

We are off on a 457 next month anyone tell me

1, How many months supply of tablets have they had from their GP

2, Have they had problems through customs with a large amount of prescription tablets

3. Re-ordering the tablets from a Aussie doctor any problems?

All comments much appreciated

Guest guest37336
We are off on a 457 next month anyone tell me

1, How many months supply of tablets have they had from their GP

2, Have they had problems through customs with a large amount of prescription tablets

3. Re-ordering the tablets from a Aussie doctor any problems?

All comments much appreciated

Hi there.

Last August we back out to OZ (month) for an extended holiday/reccie yet again and this is my experience. My other half is on a lot of medication, a lot, won't go into details, but suffice to say that we could have opened a small chemist with the amount we had on us.

No problems at all. We did however have a written declaration from our doctor that the medication we had in our possession was needed and indeed integral to our trip. All on letter headed paper, etc. Not one of the packets were opened whilst they were to be stowed in hold/hand luggage , etc. We just took enough to last the plane flight. One thing worth remembering is this. We divided the medicine up between three different suit cases just in case one or two bags went missing during the flight, in this way we would have at least enough medication to see us through.

We were searched on several occasions, Brisbane/Cairns and not once was questioned about the medicine. Our main concern was the fact that we were going via Bangkok, but even here we had no problems at all.

With reference to repeat scripts etc in Australia, we had to fulfill one particular script and came across no problems as we showed the doctor/chemist the original letter from docs this end.

Hope this helps.

PS. I will add this. Make sure that any medicines you take and ones that are only available from Doctor you order/fulfill scripts well before you go. If you explain to the doctors they will get the script ready in plenty of time, can take up to a month to clarify the why's and wherefore's.

Thanks I take 45/47 tablets a day plus an injection every 6 weeks so can only agree with the chemist shop scenario, thanks for the post and the tip on division between cases I do this normally but can always be an oversight when your rushing round to get everything done

Cheers

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Lyn,

Generally you won't have a problem although the official line is that you are only permitted to import a maximum of three months supply of prescription drugs .

I have heard of people who have bought up to 6 months supply with them and had no problems,the key is to have a letter from your doctor certifying that you are being treated with the medicine and that you therefore have a genuine reason for carrying them,be prepared to show the letter if requested but in practice you probably won't be but better to be safe than sorry.

Have a good trip.

Cheers

Thanks I take 45/47 tablets a day plus an injection every 6 weeks so can only agree with the chemist shop scenario, thanks for the post and the tip on division between cases I do this normally but can always be an oversight when your rushing round to get everything done

Cheers

Do you really mean 45? Its gonna cost you a fortune!

Hi Lyn

I brought a few months supply of one precription tablet, 12months supply of the pill and about 4 large tubs of my daughters prescription cream. I carried a prescription for everything with me and had no problems with customs or anyone.

When it came to getting the tabets here, i took my precsription and leaflet from inside the tablets to my doctor, i coudnt get an exact match as the same tablets here were not quite as strong so here i take 3 a day instead of 2 but i havent had a problem getting prescriptions,repeats etc

Cal x

Hi Lyn

I brought a few months supply of one precription tablet, 12months supply of the pill and about 4 large tubs of my daughters prescription cream. I carried a prescription for everything with me and had no problems with customs or anyone.

When it came to getting the tabets here, i took my precsription and leaflet from inside the tablets to my doctor, i coudnt get an exact match as the same tablets here were not quite as strong so here i take 3 a day instead of 2 but i havent had a problem getting prescriptions,repeats etc

Cal x

How do you you get your doctor to provide a year of the pill? Mine wont give me more than 3 months of any prescription? :swoon:

I brought about 8 months (6 months + 2 from previous prescription) worth of the pill and brought my prescription with me just in case. The pill I take isn't available here but the Doctor was happy to go through the book with me and find a suitable substitute.

How do you you get your doctor to provide a year of the pill? Mine wont give me more than 3 months of any prescription? :swoon:

I had already found out that I couldn't get the same pill here and explained this to my GP in England. At the time I was just going for a very long holiday so that is what I said when I went in. If I had known then that I wouldn't be coming back, I'd have tried for 12 months! :smile:

Hi as soon as we knew we moving i just kept putting repeats in with the chemist, i also did this for my daughters precription cream, then a couple of weeks before we left i asked for a 3mth supply to tide us over.

Cal x

Archived