Onshore Partner Visa Application time frame

Guest skiingbadger

Hey guys,

I'm currently on a working holiday visa which expires in July. Before then I'm applying for a De Facto Partner visa to stay in Australia with my partner. I know that once my application is received a bridging visa A is issued and that the conditions of the working holiday visa are continued. However - is the 6 month employment limit lifted in these circumstances?

I've checked the immi website and various forums but can't find a definitive answer to this one.

Also, when I lodge my application I'll have been in the country for just shy of 12 months. Will I need to get an Australian police check, since pretty much as soon as I submit the application I'll have been here for a year?

I'm leaning towards waiting to see what a Case Officer says but I want to submit a "Decision Ready" application to give my self a fighting chance of an smooth ride (fingers and toes crossed).

Regards & good luck,

Neil

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just lodged my 820 visa and am hoping for a quicker timeframe than I see mentioned on here!

9/4/13 - Application posted

10/4/13 - Application received at Partner Processing Office QLD

12/4/13 - Fee taken from bank account

I submitted all documents and evidence apart from my medical as even though it advised to front load, I saw that it also said not to submit the medical so I gave them a quick call and they advised me not to also.

I have got advise that maybe I should do it and send it to them ASAP as it might speed up my application, but I don't have a case reference number or anything so I don't know if it would be possible and I don't want it to expire. Okay if my police check expires that's $45, but if the medical does that's a lot more expensive!

I submitted all the forms and certified documents as well as around 150 pages of evidences of phone bills, travel tickets, bank statements, wedding things so am hoping this will go in my favour.

I am currently on a student visa so am not sure if I will continue on this visa until it expires in July, or if they will change it to a Bridging visa. I checked on VEVO and it's still a TU Student 457.

Wish me luck!

You'll remain on your current visa until that expires then the bridging visa will kick in.

Suppose I should add my details also

28/12/2012 - Application for onshore partner visa lodged in person at Brisbane Immigration Office (proof of medical attended submitted along with all other documents, so all front loaded bar hard copy of medical but results available online at that time)

07/01/2013 - Acknowledgement/receipt email received from Department.

13/01/2013 - Hard copy of medical results sent registered post to Brisbane processing centre.

19/02/2013 - WHV expired and Bridging Visa A commenced.

Still awaiting

Good luck all.

Hi - Just got my 820 yesterday (16 Apr) having tracked receipt of my final documentation (statutory declarations, police checks and medical records) to their arrival in Brisbane on 02 Apr so 14 days elapsed time for my onshore application.

I have a pet theory that if the public servants in Brisbane need to hit their targets for number of documents processed they will pick up the British (and probably American, Canadian and South African) applications first as the language and documentation will be familiar and easy to process, provided you have completed all necessary forms.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a timeframe question, but does anyone know if you can buy a house and get a mortgage while on the temporary partner visa (820)?

We've just exchanged contracts on a house (my wife and I), and it's only just occured to us that it might be a problem. Anyone know for sure? I will be eligible for permanent residency in August.

Guest GeorgeD
Not a timeframe question, but does anyone know if you can buy a house and get a mortgage while on the temporary partner visa (820)?

Yes you can. I did it on a 309 Offshore visa.

You need to get permission from the Foreign Investment Review Board www.firb.gov.au . Your lawyer/conveyancer should've told you about this. You can do it retrospectively though (we did). It is free and easy enough to do. Go do it ASAP...you can get fined if you haven't done it and they find out about you before you find out about them! you won't ahve a problem if it is a house you intend to live in...

As for the mortgage...you should have pre-approval already. Our mortgage advisor said my visa status at the time (309) meant there were fewer lenders who would lend, but it wasn't impossible. In the end we went with Commonwealth bank. I think NAB would also have had an option. You should really have this all confirmed in writing before exchange contracts on a house though!

Thanks George.

Yes it was a hell of an oversight not to have FIRB application on the contract! Nevertheless, we can always put the house in my wife's name if we don't get approval through in time. I haven't told my solicitor about my visa status yet, hence they couldn't have known.

Pre-approval is sorted already (with CBA too actually), so we're not worried about the finance side of things.

Thanks again,

Rob

Guest GeorgeD

Go do the FIRB thing now..I applied online then called them to explain what had happened...they were really nice, and couldn't be more helpful. If your wife has PR/Citizenship and you are going to live in the house then it is simply a paperwork exercise...it is a formality for it to be approved. I think they say it takes 30 days or something, but after I called them mine was escalated and took 5 days. I applied after we went unconditional, and it came through before we got the keys. CBA won't have a problem with your visa status. I spoke to two different mortgage advisors about my visa status and they both instantly said, yes, CBA are the ones who have no issue with it at all.

Guest GeorgeD
It's worth noting that you don't need FIRB approval if you purchase a place as joint tenants (rather than tenants in common). This is what we did and we didn't need approval. Bankwest will loan to 820 visa holders.

http://www.firb.gov.au/content/Exemptions/exemptions.asp

That's true...if your spouse is a Citizen. If your spouse is a PR, as in my case at the time (sh'es now a Citizen) then you need it.

Again though, it really is a formality and nothing to be afraid of...you just need to know about it!

Wow, sent application by post on 12 April 2013. Received an e-mail today from my case officer, advising that she had reviewed the application and now required the police check and medical examination results. This was much faster than I expected.

Guest TOM9981

I applied late Dec 2012 by post to the NSW centre, received a call for my Australian Police check as I had rolled over the 1 year bracket, but that was not the case officer. That was submitted and not heard anymore.

KidA - Was this definitely the CO? That is incredibly fast if so.

So lucky! I posted mine 3 days before you and nothing yet! What processing office did you send it to?

I lodged it with the Perth processing centre by post.

Tom, it stated 'case officer' in her e-mail signature. Here is the main part of the e-mail:

"This email refers to your application for a combined Partner (Temporary) (Class UK820) and Partner (Residence) (Class BS801) visa, which you lodged on 30/04/2013 and is currently being assessed by the Perth office as it was full and complete at time of lodgement except for the following documents listed below. To assist in the prompt finalisation of your application, please provide the documents listed below within 28 days from the date of this email. You are deemed to have received this email at the end of the day on which this email has been sent to you.

You are also advised that given the current high volume of applications for this visa class, it is in your interests to respond to this request with a minimum of delay."

She also only requested a UK police check, not an Australian, indicating that my application may be finalised soon:

"Character requirements – Original Australian Federal Police (AFP) National Police Check and/or foreign police clearance. Not required unless the application can not be finalised by 23/08/2013 at which time you will have been in Australia a total period of 365 days."

I'm very surprised it's moving so quickly. The reason I didn't frontload my application was that I thought I'd probably end up having to pay for the medical and police check twice as they'd expire before the application was finalised.

good luck with yours!

Guest TOM9981

Complete inconsistency across offices then! I front loaded mine with medical and police check for the UK. I guess there is a disparity between offices.

Oh well the wait goes on.

Hi there, has anyone done their 801 part? If so did you include evidence of your continuing relationship? It only seems to want a statutory declaration from myself and partner? Just wondering if I should include anything else.

Also they want a Federal Police check, I had one done in August last year, so was just going to send that. Do you think they'll want another one?

How long did you have to wait for your confirmation. It says 90 days at the moment!

Thanks in advance

Archived