IELTS this week

hellsbells712

My husband does all the paperwork stuff but as far as I'm aware we need 120points for 175 visa and ielts counts towards 25 of those. But yes you do need skills assessment before applying for visa so doing ielts, skills assessment, visa then registration hopefully!!

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My husband does all the paperwork stuff but as far as I'm aware we need 120points for 175 visa and ielts counts towards 25 of those. But yes you do need skills assessment before applying for visa so doing ielts, skills assessment, visa then registration hopefully!!

Yeah, that was the way we were planning it....there's no escaping the dreaded ielts...!!!

I'm sure if you need 120 points for the visa, we will too, didn't really pay much attention to the amount of points required. But that was the order I was planning on doing it. I have already sent my letter from NMC to ANMC (letter of verification), and have sent my transcript of training to ANMC from my uni, both took a while so at least they are done...!!

Least it's the same route ithought I might be doing something wrong. How did you get our transcript do you get it through hr's where you've worked? X

Least it's the same route ithought I might be doing something wrong. How did you get our transcript do you get it through hr's where you've worked? X

I thought I was doing something wrong...! And thought for a split second that I didn't need ielts...!!

For transcript of training you have to get in touch with your uni/college of nursing and request them to send it to ANMC, it's free, you don't see it, it's sent directly to them, I emailed recruitment at ANMC to make sure it got there, it did! For the letter of verifiaction just call the nmc, tell them what you want, they will put you through to the international section, and they will send you a form which you fill out, send a cheque think about £35.00 and they will sent it to ANMC. Again email ANMC to make sure it gets there as NMC are a tad slow...!!! You don't get to see the nmc letter either, all very secretive!!!:wideeyed:

Thank you that's very helpful I'll start doing that soon fingers crossed for us both with ielts I'll keep you informed xx

Thank you that's very helpful I'll start doing that soon fingers crossed for us both with ielts I'll keep you informed xx

I just read on the immigration web site that ielts will expire after 2 yrs....are you too early doing it, the last thing you want is to have to do it again...??? x

Once it's accepted by anmc and visa granted it's ok we are hoping to have visa by the time we go next year then verify it, thanks though x

Once it's accepted by anmc and visa granted it's ok we are hoping to have visa by the time we go next year then verify it, thanks though x

Oh thats ok then, apparently once the visa is lodged it can take as quick as 4-6 months, I've heard they fast track nurses applications due to the shortage, I'm sure the recruitment of nursing staff from overseas has been slowed down due to the eilts...!!

:biglaugh: xx Issy

Yeah I heard it's quick too so once you get through this stupid ielts test this time next year you could be there xx

Guest Jen257

Forgot to mention at the time, but my husband got an overall score of 9.0! He got 9.0 in two and 8.5 in two.. dunno how they calculate it, but still good news!

Good luck to everyone else.

Jen x

Does anyone know anything about the OET test, could I do it instead of the ielts??? Is it more difficult?? Is it recognised for the skills assessment, visa requirement amd nursing reg?? Can you sit it in the uk??? I was just wondering if it was any easier than ielts...????

Thanks Issy x:daydreaming:

Does anyone know anything about the OET test, could I do it instead of the ielts??? Is it more difficult?? Is it recognised for the skills assessment, visa requirement amd nursing reg?? Can you sit it in the uk??? I was just wondering if it was any easier than ielts...????

Thanks Issy x:daydreaming:

Hi Issy

I've read on POI that people have said its slightly easier than IELTS (not sure how true this is?) I think you can only take it in London though.

This IELTS is a never ending nightmare - I've got my 3rd test on 4th Sept and with all the changes last wk that ielts isnt required except WA (which is where we are heading) I dont know whether to just apply direct to AHPRA as WA is to join the national register in October or just sit the exam anyway incase there are further changes in the future?? Decisions Decisions :arghh:

Sharon x

Hi Issy

I've read on POI that people have said its slightly easier than IELTS (not sure how true this is?) I think you can only take it in London though.

This IELTS is a never ending nightmare - I've got my 3rd test on 4th Sept and with all the changes last wk that ielts isnt required except WA (which is where we are heading) I dont know whether to just apply direct to AHPRA as WA is to join the national register in October or just sit the exam anyway incase there are further changes in the future?? Decisions Decisions :arghh:

Sharon x

I know...I've been doing some practice tests and getting worce (the reading)!!! I'm doing my 3rd on 4th sept too, I still need it for my skills assessment, visa etc...so will just plough on! How did you manage to get a visa without ielts??? What part are you failing on? Are you managing to get any prep done, I find it really hard with work and 2 pre school kids...!!!:mad:

Issy x

hi issy look into changes in Ielts, changes as of last week my sons GF doesn't need it now to become a nurse in Brisbane just proof of secondary school that she has been educated in English this is after spending £800 in this money making exam, let us know on poms your findings

hi issy look into changes in Ielts, changes as of last week my sons GF doesn't need it now to become a nurse in Brisbane just proof of secondary school that she has been educated in English this is after spending £800 in this money making exam, let us know on poms your findings

Thanks, but I think I need it for my skills assessment and for the visa...wish I didn't!! I think it's only the registration now you don't need it, but for everything else I do :(

Thanks Issy x

I know...I've been doing some practice tests and getting worce (the reading)!!! I'm doing my 3rd on 4th sept too, I still need it for my skills assessment, visa etc...so will just plough on! How did you manage to get a visa without ielts??? What part are you failing on? Are you managing to get any prep done, I find it really hard with work and 2 pre school kids...!!!:mad:

Issy x

Hi Issy,

Got 6.5 on reading, for both attempts:frown:

We applied for the visa before the changes in ANMC regarding the IELTS. It was only when our visa was granted in March I tried to apply for registration I realised about the IELTS.

This has been the only stumbling block in the whole process - we have been lucky to sell our house (hoping to exchange contracts in the next couple of weeks).

I studied a fair bit for the 1st test, tons for the 2nd - got exactly the same result 6.5:skeptical: This time I feel I have lost interest - like you said its hard.

Decided to move to WA after xmas as kids want last one in UK. So at the moment need to find a rental, trying to pack for the move, oh and trying to study!!:eek:

Sharon x

Hi Issy,

Got 6.5 on reading, for both attempts:frown:

We applied for the visa before the changes in ANMC regarding the IELTS. It was only when our visa was granted in March I tried to apply for registration I realised about the IELTS.

This has been the only stumbling block in the whole process - we have been lucky to sell our house (hoping to exchange contracts in the next couple of weeks).

I studied a fair bit for the 1st test, tons for the 2nd - got exactly the same result 6.5:skeptical: This time I feel I have lost interest - like you said its hard.

Decided to move to WA after xmas as kids want last one in UK. So at the moment need to find a rental, trying to pack for the move, oh and trying to study!!:eek:

Sharon x

Wow thats great, you don't really need it then!! I wouldn't bother if I was you as it's a stressfull horrible thing, you don't need it for registration now so why bother...if you do need it in the future you can always do it in Oz.....

Good luck with it all, happy packing!!!

It is our only stumbling block too, we sold our house and moved in to rented accomodation in Feb, didn't realize this would be looming...!!!:arghh:

Issy x

Thanks, but I think I need it for my skills assessment and for the visa...wish I didn't!! I think it's only the registration now you don't need it, but for everything else I do :(

Thanks Issy x

Hi issy, if you register first with AHPRA/NMBA you submit almost identical paperwork as you would for FULL skills assessment with the ANMC. Once you gain registration you can then send off for the MODIFIED skills assessment from the ANMC. The skills assessment you will then submit with your visa application. If you need the extra points from the IELTS for your visa or you are heading to WA in the near future then its a different matter otherwise like others have advised it might be a good idea just to register with AHPRA/NMBA because WA will join them in October...........oh and its cheaper to do the registration first also !!!!!!

This is one way to do it and it all relies on how quick the AHPRA/NMBA can get their act together and start to process registrations from overseas applicants !!!!!

Also I am no migration agent so this is my opinion from research I have done on here and the official websites so please if you have any doubt ask again and again like I try to do !!!!!!

HI ISSY AGAIN,SINCE I HAVE WRITTEN THE ABOVE POST THERE HAS BEEN ANOTHER UPDATE ON ANOTHER POST, BASICALLY IGNORE EVERYTHING I HAVE QUOTED ABOVE BECAUSE THERE IS SO MUCH MIS-INFORMATION BEING GIVEN. TRACE1 HAS BEEN IN CONTACT WITH THE AHPRA/NMBA AND THEY ARE NOW TELLING US THAT ALL INTERNATIONALLY QUALIFIED NURSES REQUIRE THE IELTS. SERIOUSLY THIS DEPARTMENT NEED TO SORT ITSELF OUT BECAUSE IT REALLY IS BEGINNING TO PISS ME OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Jo and Dave

We've telephoned AHPRA twice now to check this....and they say NO IELT's required for international applicants who are English educated.

Threre seems to be 3 threads running with this subject so you will see this same post on all 3 sorry.

I have just emailed AHPRA about the requirement of IELTS for English educated/trained nurses. There has been mixed replies from AHPRA, we have had phonecalls where its not needed and emails where it is needed !!!!!! Hope that this can clear it up once and for all !!!! or will it ?????? joking aside the OH is in pieces at times when she thinks that she has to do this IELTS again, when I give her some hope that she may not have to do it again and then she does have to do it again and then she doesn't have to .............how long before we say f**k it, lets make the most of what we have or look elsewhere !!!! I know for sure that if I wasn't to do my job properly then i wouldn't have a job to do !!!!!

this is the email, i'll keep you all updated IF I receive a reply

Hi,

I am an English educated, English speaking and English trained registered nurse who still ,at this moment, lives in England. There has been great confusion with regards to the IELTS requirements. There has been contact with yourselves about this subject with different replies being received. Could you please confirm if an applicant, Still living in England who has had Secondary English education followed by a nursing qualification taught and assessed in English, as I am, is required to prove their English proficency by means of IELTS or will proof of English education and nursing qualification suffice......Kind regards

We've telephoned AHPRA twice now to check this....and they say NO IELT's required for international applicants who are English educated.

Do they mean no ielts required to register in Australia as a nurse with APHRA...???

Ielts is still required for skills assessment and 175 visa requirements...i wish it wasn't!!!:wideeyed: Issy x

Archived