IELTS this week

hellsbells712

Guest ingenschooly

Hi there,

I'm sorry to read about your diappointment. I know from personal experience how difficult the test is, because my partner had to do it for his Engineering Assessment. He is Dutch, but spent 4 years in secondary school in the UK and speaks like a native speaker. He is an avid reader (all in english) and has taught people to dive in English, as well as working in an English speaking environment for the last 6 years, but he still found it a challenge, especially the writing part. I spent 2 weeks tutoring him and he gained excellent scores of 8.5 in everything except the writing. I totally sympathise with you when it is difficult, especially if you are not naturally talented with words (like my OH).

As I am a qualified teacher from the UK, with 16 years experience in a Leading Edge Secondary school and 5 years abroad in various ESL roles teaching people English, I was able to help him considerably, to focus on the aspects, which were crucial to rapid improvement. This was only possible because I was able to diagnose his learning challenges and give him the "tailor made" strategies to push him quickly, up the learning curve.

Have you had any personal help of this sort yet? I strongly recommend it, as the resit fees are not cheap and it is probably money well spent, if you can get the personal tuition to ensure your success next time. I'd be glad to help you figure out a plan if you or anyone else would like to work on making your next test the LAST one! Just send me a PM and I will see what I can suggest.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

just a question on behalf of a friend. My lovely Austrian friend has just done her IELTS and got an overall score of 7.5 but only got 6.5 in reading, from what I've read on this forum you can request it to be remarked, how do you go about this?

• 1 month later...
Guest julio69x

The IELTS quest is perhaps one pain in the $%&; I adamantly recommend not to ask for remarking either reading or listening sections. I did it 4 times in 5 months (with some personal silly mistakes in one of them that just put me on the chair again , plus more money!!!)

First: L 7.5, R 8.0, W 6.5, S 7.5 [Academic]

Second: L 7.5, R 9.0, W 6.5, S 6.5 [Academic] - Plop in my speaking!

Third: L 7.5, R 8.5, W 7.5, S 6.5 [General] - Silly mistake Again

Fourth: L 8.5, R 8.0, W 8.0, S 7.5 [General] - I did my best, !!!

All in all, during this months my confidence in the speaking was running out every time that I could not get the 7. It is quite funny that I never got 7.0 always over or under, I think that the examiners do not give easy 7.0; instead if they do not notice a level above 7 they just mark you 6.5 (in the speaking and writting).

I am a native-spanish speaker, maybe the only benefit was that I improved my writtings and my vocab. Expensive!!!

Good luck with your results. They should be in the post, but with all this bad weatjher Iwould expect a couple of days delay. Today or tomorrow, if you are getting post today.

Good luck, will be great news just before Christmas.

I can't believe how long its been since I started this thread, the week I first did my first IELTS. I know how you are feeling.

Merry Christmas. x:xmasunwrap2:

• 3 weeks later...

The stupid thing about IELTS is making english people sit english examinations which are not designed to test native english speakers!

I gladly passed my IELTS first time. I recommend that everyone prepares for the tests by using the practice materials which you can buy from the IELTS.

I take my hat off to people who pass the Academic IELTS who's english is there second language. It is not an easy day by any means. I think if they gave you more time for the listening and especially the reading and writing then there may be a higher success rate.

The day consisted of me having to be at the test centre for 8am. The first test didn't start until 9.30am. I sat the listening exam for and hr, then the reading exam for an hr, then the writing exam for an hr. All with no break and after that I was seeing flashing lights in my eyes! I then had to sit doing nothing for 2.5hrs waiting to do the speaking, where I was literally the last person to be examined and didn't leave the test centre until after 4pm. A total of 8hrs in the test centre.

The relieif I got when I got my results before christmas was unreal because I had told my partner after the tests...no way will I go through that again!

Academic IELTS Listening 8.0 Reading 7.0 Writing 7.0 Speaking 8.5 Overall 7.5

Good luck to all awaiting tests and results!

Results have arrived from IELTS no 5. Writing 6.5-Seriously had enough!

Can I ask why your doing the IELTS ?

They have revoked the IELTS for native english speaking people.

Guest nicandchris

if your going to oz as a nurse you still need to pass the ielts with a min of 7 in each section. THATS THE LAW! :biggrin:

Can I ask why your doing the IELTS ?

They have revoked the IELTS for native english speaking people.

if your going to oz as a nurse you still need to pass the ielts with a min of 7 in each section. THATS THE LAW! :biggrin:

Letter stated to me from AHPRA, I have also spoken to my case officer who said as I have done secondary education in English and did nurse training in England it is not required. Clearly stated to me English speaking are exempt. Spoke to her on 29th December.

It isn't the law?!

Letter stated to me from AHPRA, I have also spoken to my case officer who said as I have done secondary education in English and did nurse training in England it is not required. Clearly stated to me English speaking are exempt. Spoke to her on 29th December.

It isn't the law?!

Hiya,

I have also spoke to AHPRA who advise me IELTS isnt required as all education has been done in UK. I have sent my form off without the IELTS (failed it twice 6.5 on reading) sent it 17 DEC so early days yet for me :SLEEP:

s4mmy - if you have a case officer will your registration be through shortly? Did you send exam results through for proof of secondary education taught in uk?

Sharon

Hi,

if you want SS you need to have IELTS, I also needed it for my nursing registration, a lot has been written on here, you DO need it/you DON'T need it. Most people do however find they do need it further on in the application process, and I totally agree with Jenpen87, it is tough and hats off to non native english speakers who pass :wink:

Sharon

Guest nicandchris

Yes its very condractictory, ive had one letter from ahpra saying that i do then one saying that i dont! Ultimately thank god i passed second time round so either way its ok but its so stressful that it would be nice to know that you didnt need it. All correspondece that ive had from the company thats helping me to work over there are clear that its needed so despite the difficulty id say just get the bloody thing over and done with :mad:

Hi,

if you want SS you need to have IELTS, I also needed it for my nursing registration, a lot has been written on here, you DO need it/you DON'T need it. Most people do however find they do need it further on in the application process, and I totally agree with Jenpen87, it is tough and hats off to non native english speakers who pass :wink:

Sharon

Hiya,

I have also spoke to AHPRA who advise me IELTS isnt required as all education has been done in UK. I have sent my form off without the IELTS (failed it twice 6.5 on reading) sent it 17 DEC so early days yet for me :SLEEP:

s4mmy - if you have a case officer will your registration be through shortly? Did you send exam results through for proof of secondary education taught in uk?

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I kept getting 6.5 on Reading!

I sent my application in on 19th October.The application fees were taken out on that day and I was told by phone who my case officer was.

They have referred my application to the board as I'm a Diploma nurse.

Case officer told me should hear 2nd week in January.

I asked her about IELTS again and she said being wavered if English and training taken in English.

I know what your saying though pain in the arse! Forever changing their minds.

Sam

Hi,

Sharon

I'm going on 457 visa so it isn't required.

Prior to August 2010 the IELTS was required.

AHPRA have changed the guidelines because an Australian nurse who did his training in Ireland went to the media complaining how irrelevant it is to take an IELTS exam. AHPRA then revoked the IELTS for UK and other English speaking countries in embarrassement from the media coverage.

The English language skills draft clearly states if have secondary education in english and nurse training in English and have proof for both then you are exempt. Thank god I'm English! Ha.

Sam - you said that your money was taken from your account straight away. My application was received on the 6th October which they confirmed 3 weeks ago when I 'phoned them but have heard nothing further nor have they taken the money out. Did you apply to Victoria/Melbourne? I've emailed them today so hope to hear something soon.

I have to take my sabbatical from the 1st April so I'm keen to get things moving!

Thanks,

Cath

I'm going on 457 visa so it isn't required.

Prior to August 2010 the IELTS was required.

AHPRA have changed the guidelines because an Australian nurse who did his training in Ireland went to the media complaining how irrelevant it is to take an IELTS exam. AHPRA then revoked the IELTS for UK and other English speaking countries in embarrassement from the media coverage.

The English language skills draft clearly states if have secondary education in english and nurse training in English and have proof for both then you are exempt. Thank god I'm English! Ha.

Maybe some of the Aussie and kiwi nurses should complain to the media over here as they have had to do IELTS for a good number of years prior to getting their regsitration with nmc.

Sharon

Maybe some of the Aussie and kiwi nurses should complain to the media over here as they have had to do IELTS for a good number of years prior to getting their regsitration with nmc.

Sharon

The IELTS for Aussies and kiwis is a level 5 they have to pass and not 7.

Sam - you said that your money was taken from your account straight away. My application was received on the 6th October which they confirmed 3 weeks ago when I 'phoned them but have heard nothing further nor have they taken the money out. Did you apply to Victoria/Melbourne? I've emailed them today so hope to hear something soon.

I have to take my sabbatical from the 1st April so I'm keen to get things moving!

Thanks,

Cath

mine was processed on 19th October said they received on 19th

All non EU trained applicants to the nurses or midwives part of the register must complete and provide evidence of the International English Language Test (IELTS) before submitting their application to the NMC.

You must complete the academic version of the IELTS test and achieve:

• At least 7.0 in the listening and reading sections

• At least 7.0 in the writing and speaking sections

• At least 7.0 (out of a possible 9) overall

We will not accept applicants who score lower than this standard.

Nope just the same for them

Sharon

All non EU trained applicants to the nurses or midwives part of the register must complete and provide evidence of the International English Language Test (IELTS) before submitting their application to the NMC.

You must complete the academic version of the IELTS test and achieve:

• At least 7.0 in the listening and reading sections

• At least 7.0 in the writing and speaking sections

• At least 7.0 (out of a possible 9) overall

We will not accept applicants who score lower than this standard.

Nurses I work with told me they have done level 6 apologies.

Nope just the same for them

Sharon

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tandcmum
You may not need it for a Temporary visa, but what happens if you want to stay Permanently?

Im sure if you go over on a sponsored temp visa and then apply for a spinsored permanenet visa you do not need it because you already have registration and therefore can do modified assessment of skills. In fact ive heard some ENS type visas you don't need a ANMC skills assessment at all

Archived