Writing 8.5

Listening 8.0

Reading 6.0 !!!

Took the test again 2 weeks ago got results today

Speaking 8.5

Reading 7.0

Listening 8.5

Writing 6.5

I am absolutely gutted and fed up now how can I get 2 marks less on the writing!! What do I do, do I take the test again another £110 in 4 weeks time or ask for it to be remarked and it take ages I am so fed up with this bloody test how the hell do they mark it!

Thanls for any advice

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please help me I did first IELTS test in August and got :-

Speaking 8.5

Writing 8.5

Listening 8.0

Reading 6.0 !!!

Took the test again 2 weeks ago got results today

Speaking 8.5

Reading 7.0

Listening 8.5

Writing 6.5

I am absolutely gutted and fed up now how can I get 2 marks less on the writing!! What do I do, do I take the test again another £110 in 4 weeks time or ask for it to be remarked and it take ages I am so fed up with this bloody test how the hell do they mark it!

Thanls for any advice

Hello, i got a remark on my writing from a 6.5 to a 7.5. I wrote a letter stating that i passed this section twice before with an 8 & 7.5 therefore was able to write at the stated band (7). Its £60 for a remark with a refund if overturned but does take a while, mine was about 9weeks.

Good Luck Lisa x

By the way I'm a nurse and need a 7 in all four sections now 0.5 mark away!!

Is this for the 457 visa or 175. If you applied for nursing registration prior to 1st July then the IELTS is required. If applied after 1st July no longer require IELTS just proof of secondary education proficient in English.

I feel for you I went through exactly the same results, took the exam 5 times and still got 6.5 on reading!

If they hadn't of made the IELTS obsolete for native english speakers I would never of past it.

I took to IELTS in one week, one in Wales the other in Torquay, I was exhausted.

Sent of nursing application to APHRA today, great sense of relief and no more stress and financial hardship!

Sam:laugh:

Guest gingerdingo

Sorry to hear about your results. My wife has failed 4 times and is taking her 5th at the end of October. We have purchased a learning aid from the internet, it takes you step by step through the test. Some of the info is valid especially the reading and writing sections. Its called Ielts Higher.com and costs £40 for 4 weeks. Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fortest

Hi,

I've got my ielts results this morning and I've got :

L 7.5

R 6.5

W 7

S 6.5

Do you think I should have my test remarked? I need 7 band for each module.

Guest nicandchris

hi ive had two responses from AHPRA the first being a couple of weeks ago stating that if the applicant has secondary education in english and been taught their nursing in english then ielts not needed, then again this morning saying that international nurses DO need ielts.

How stressful is the ielts! I failed my first by 1 point in the reading section but retook and found out yest that id passed the second! Got less marks than previously in the writing section but who care as this time got a 7 in the reading and a 7 in the writing, 8.5 in the listening and 9 in the speaking.

All that matters is that i do not have to take that bloody thing again, it feels like an emotional weight has been lifted now.

I have an ielts practice material book going if anyone wants to PM me for it!xx

They don't know what they are doing AHPRA, one day they told me you need IELTS and next you don't. But confirmed if applied for registration prior to July 1st then IELTS is still required.

Brisbane office confirmed for me that as I have attended secondary school education in english also nursing in english the IELTS is definitely not required. Luckily as took IELTS 5 times and failed on reading by .5. So frustrating.

Sent off application with no concerns regarding english as been proven.

Guest nicandchris

wow you have stamina, if told myself that if i failed this time and a third time that i would nt waste my time and money on doing it again/!-------------------what do they want........blood!

Guest nicandchris

Fortest, to be honest i dont think t hat a retest in this respect would help as it costs a bit and takes quite a long time, you would be better spending the time preparing and booking another exam, i waited for three months to take my second exam and this seemed to have helped.

Received my IELTS results this morning....

Listening 9.0

Reading 7.5

Writing 7.0

Speaking 9.0

Overall band score 8.0.....not convinced about the 7 and 7.5 ( I read A LOT and I went over the paper twice, thought I had at least a 8)

But never mind, I passed that's the main thing!

One more hurdle crossed !

Good luck to anyone taking their IELTS, hadn't been in an exam situation for about 23 years so I don't think its fair we should have to take a test designed for foriegn students ...but thats another matter....

Lots of info on youtube if you look ...step by step instructions on how to write an essay etc....invaluable when your a Bricklayer!

Cheers

Paul

Received my IELTS results this morning....

Listening 9.0

Reading 7.5

Writing 7.0

Speaking 9.0

Overall band score 8.0.....not convinced about the 7 and 7.5 ( I read A LOT and I went over the paper twice, thought I had at least a 8)

But never mind, I passed that's the main thing!

One more hurdle crossed !

Good luck to anyone taking their IELTS, hadn't been in an exam situation for about 23 years so I don't think its fair we should have to take a test designed for foriegn students ...but thats another matter....

Lots of info on youtube if you look ...step by step instructions on how to write an essay etc....invaluable when your a Bricklayer!

Cheers

Paul

excellent result, well done.

You just don't know how they mark things. My first time I got 6.5 in writing but then 9 next time. How can there be such a difference

But well done... helen

Well done i'm waiting for my second test to be remarked first time got 6.5 reading second time 7 first time writing fot 8.5 second time 6.5 why such a difference so sent off for remark got 8.5 both times in listening and speaking its a pain in the a*** test !!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Has anyone had there IELTS remarked? I sent mine off a month ago and the cheque has just come out my bank if i get remarked above a 7 do they then send me another cheque back??

Am getting worried that now cheque has come out I haven't been remarked above the 7 I need!!

Guest gingerdingo

Hi Knoxx, we also sent off for a remark and like you the cheque was cashed within the week - however we did not get the results for another 8 weeks. In total it took nine long weeks and the mark remained the same - 6.5 on the writing.

Julie is now waiting for the result of her 5th IELTS test which is due on the 6th Nov - fingers crossed please!!!

Hi

Has anyone had there IELTS remarked? I sent mine off a month ago and the cheque has just come out my bank if i get remarked above a 7 do they then send me another cheque back??

Am getting worried that now cheque has come out I haven't been remarked above the 7 I need!!

Hiya, my remark took approx 9 weeks in total, then i received a cheque about a week after that for the refund as the writing was marked from a 6.5 to a 7.5. In answer to your question if you do get an overturn with a higher mark then you get a refund.

Lisa

Hi thanks for reply I hope this is the case I can't go through it again passed everything else but got 6.5 writing first time I took test got 8.5 writing so frustrating!!!

Why don't you contact Health minister in Oz someone said on here they did that, and got it overturned so worth a try especially after getting 8.5 previously. P:wink::wink:lus shows how committed and how strongly you feel about it

Well got IELTS remark today after only 5 weeks no change to writing so have to do it again I am so fed up of this stupid waste of time test arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest nicandchris
Results have arrived from IELTS no 5. Writing 6.5-Seriously had enough!

Hi there so sorry to hear these results its completely disheartening isnt it, bloody .5 and the money spent on proving how english our english is! May i say that the only thing that i did differently in order to get a 7 on my last attempt was to not try and read the text first (and try and understand it, which seems backwards doesnt it) but to go to the questions straight away and then look for the key words in the passages, if you cant find it almost straight away then go to the next question and answer that one and go back. It seemed to give me a little more time, i almost cried this last time (in the exam) i was so frustrated with it all but it seemed to have worked , thank god because i was seriously losing faith in it all.

Guest ingenschooly

Hi there,

I'm sorry to read about your diappointment. I know from personal experience how difficult the test is because my partner had to do it for his Engineering Assessment. He is Dutch, but spent 4 years in secondary school in the UK and speaks like a native speaker. He is an avid reader (all in english) and has taught people to dive in English, as well as working in an english speaking environment for the last 6 years, but he still found it a challenge, especially the writing part. I spent 2 weeks tutoring him and he gained excellent scores of 8.5 in everything except the writing. I totally sympathise with you when it is difficult especially if you are not naturally talented with words (like my OH).

As I am a qualified teacher from the UK with 16 years experience in a Leading Edge Secondary school and 5 years abroad in various ESL roles teaching people English I was able to help him considerably to improve on the aspects, which were crucial to rapid improvement. This was only possible because I was able to diagnose his learning challenges and give him the "tailor made" strategies to push him up the learning curve quickly.

Have you had any personal help of this sort yet? I strongly recommend it as the resit fees are not cheap and it is probably money well spent if you can get the personal tuition to ensure your success next time. I'd be glad to help you figure out a plan if you or anyone else would like to work on making your next test the LAST one! Just send me a PM and I will see what I can suggest.

Archived