IELTS this week

hellsbells712

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Durathor
Why do you need one anyway, I assume your all British born and bred?

You are automatically competent coming from the UK. You receive extra marks for getting over 7 in each category proving you have 'proficient' English.

You can draw your own conclusions.

Guest fearfactory

Ive got my exam here in dublin on march 20th. Any pointers to add to those given previously in this thread??? Hopefully on passing this i can move to the next stage.

Look guys, you should be sailing through this. Especially as it is specifically designed to favour native English speakers.

It is really very simple indeed and the more you worry about it, or think too much about it the more you are likely to slip up.

Think simply and logically. You are native English speakers so you already understand everything that is spoken and written.

Check and recheck your reading answers. They are simply designed to correspond with the text.

Listen carefully to the oral part and write the answers as you hear them spoken, easy. Don't rely on memory.

Write cogently without too much elaboration, just make sense. You think in English and that makes sense doesn't it? That is all you have to prove.

It should be the easiest, and only laughable, part of the visa process. They want you to succeed. It is designed to help YOU native English speakers specifically. So relax.

Have you done an IELTS test?

JOHN

As a nurse to get skills assessed and registered to work, all nurses have got to pass Academic Ielts with minimum of 7 in each category.

So yea we might be native english speakers but we still have to do this dreadful test.

You are automatically competent coming from the UK. You receive extra marks for getting over 7 in each category proving you have 'proficient' English.

Nurses have to pass at a band 7 & above in all sections to register with the ANMC its seperate to the visa. If you dont pass you cant work as a nurse!!

Sorry just realised duplicated, great minds think alike!!

The IELTS Reading is quite difficult and is not straight forward, especially to get the required pass mark of 7 for registering as a nurse ! My OH has sat the test two times now and not got the required 7 for reading on both occasions but passed the other sections with flying colours !!!! Going through the practice papers with her, I believe that if you had an extra 15 mins it would be a lot simpler, its the timescale that catches most people out.

She is an very good nurse, not an English teacher ! Lets hope she never has to treat you Durathor, you may suggest that she is not competent !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well good luck to you all and will keep fingers crossed for you, Just all adds to the stress and pressure of the whole thing, is it any wonder so many poeple start the dream chasing then give up.. you all are made of stronger stuff and most of you are in one of the kindest professions there is by the looks of it.

Good Luck

Go Smash it Poeple.

ps i think i would be rubbish at it, is there a spelling part to the test? i would fall flat on my face right there, I even ask my 12 year old to spellcheck for me DOH!!!

All The Best

Kev

Please please, any useful tips.... I'm struggling here!!!!!!

me too, i've done some practice tests and it seems like a constant barrage of trick questions!!!

me too, i've done some practice tests and it seems like a constant barrage of trick questions!!!

Positive note, have just done practice listening test and scored Band 8.5. Just need to get to grips with reading. Think i'm getting the hang of it. Going to give it a rest now though.

Back tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:SLEEP:Brains tired now.

Am I right in saingyou're there Sat. in Leeds????

Need moral support.......

i will be there, being afraid, very, very afraid!!! :confused: we can be v.supportive of each other :hug:

Well I think I have finally cracked it with this reading lark. :yes:

Just need to speed up now by a few minutes. Have done a few practice runs today, got abot 3 wrong in each section. So thats 31 out of 40 which is a Band 7. Keep practising. Heres hoping.

Or could i use the strategy of concentrating on the first 2 passages, getting all answers right and then I get at least half of the last section right???? Or is this the wrong way to go about it....

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

The trick that I was told to use in the Reading section is scan the text and pick out the relevant details, and don't try to read it all. That makes things much faster.

When I did my IELTS test I completed the reading section in 15 - 20 minutes. I had time to check it through thoroughly twice.

How about a suggestion: Give yourself 20 minutes to do an IELTS Reading paper. Don't read everything, and see how you get on that way.

I did the academic ielts in dec - I managed to get 9 in each section ( still not sure how I managed it!).

For what it's worth here's my advice:

READING - the time limit is actually longer than it seems. I read the text carefully once, and tried to really understand 'what it was saying'. I then read the questions and was able to remember where in the text the relevent info was - because I'd worked out the general idea of the text and how it was broken down. If you are unsure of an answer, move on and go back to it. Don't spend ages on the same question. If you go back to it, the answer sometimes jumps out. Don't over complicate things and don't assume anything - just remember that the answers are there somewhere - you've just got to find them - AND DON'T PANIC!!

Good luck everyone!!

Guest MrsKav

Words of warning for those sitting the IELTS! I have an honours degree but couldn't pass the IELTS! I failed by one point in reading and writing yet got overall band of 8. Unfortunately my husband scanned the results from Australia ( I did mine at Monash Uni in Melbourne) and I couldn't read them. I figured I'd passed and it wasn't till the nurses board alerted me to the fact I had failed by a point that I realised! By that time it was too late to appeal. You have to appeal before six weeks and apparently most get overturned and passed. How I wish I knew that then. Oh and you have to pay half the price again to get a re mark... funny how you have to pay to complain about the marking standard! I met an Indian guy who reckons it's a fix to fail you by one point so you have to pay to do the whole thing again, well that's what he thought anyway!

Words of warning for those sitting the IELTS! I have an honours degree but couldn't pass the IELTS! I failed by one point in reading and writing yet got overall band of 8. Unfortunately my husband scanned the results from Australia ( I did mine at Monash Uni in Melbourne) and I couldn't read them. I figured I'd passed and it wasn't till the nurses board alerted me to the fact I had failed by a point that I realised! By that time it was too late to appeal. You have to appeal before six weeks and apparently most get overturned and passed. How I wish I knew that then. Oh and you have to pay half the price again to get a re mark... funny how you have to pay to complain about the marking standard! I met an Indian guy who reckons it's a fix to fail you by one point so you have to pay to do the whole thing again, well that's what he thought anyway!

Oh my!!!!!

Well having an honours dgree and not passing, there's definitely no hope for me.

Well I have done a load of practising now, so I think I will just keep reading my hints and tips which I have typed up, all taken from my peter may book.

Having a relaxing indian head massage tomorrow to relax me for the big day on Saturday.

Will keep you all posted.!!!!

:hug: to everyone taking the test this weekend or in the near future.x

Oh my!!!!!

Well having an honours dgree and not passing, there's definitely no hope for me.

Well I have done a load of practising now, so I think I will just keep reading my hints and tips which I have typed up, all taken from my peter may book.

Having a relaxing indian head massage tomorrow to relax me for the big day on Saturday.

Will keep you all posted.!!!!

:hug: to everyone taking the test this weekend or in the near future.x

Good luck to all those sitting IELTS tomorrow and for those who will be getting their results.

x

Good Luck Hellsbells

And all those taking the test.

We wish you well

:wink:

Kev

Well it's over and done with........TG.

Listening was a breeze, reading not as bad as I thought today probably all that prep I had put in, writing well thats a different story. I struggled with time, then my final summary totally contradicted my whole point. definite fail. Speaking well i was out in 9 minutes and by did i give a load of info. Can't believe we spoke about that much in 9 minutes. So who knows. Absolutely a mentally exhausting day.

Thanks hope everyone else did well.

:hug:

Guest nevergiveup

hi welshgirl25

did you pass the Ielts?????

cheers

from nevergive up who ...... cannnot pass the bl....dy Ielts

Archived