One year in Perth .....

tazbear

Hi everyone just a bit of a yearly update .We arrived in Perth a year ago now and what can I say ....wouldnt go back to the UK now if I was dragged kicking and screaming ....

We are a family of four and have had our ups and downs since arriving .our eldest son who was 15 when we arrived did make our life a living hell for the first three months .He didnt unpack untill we had been here two months saying we had ruined his life and was going home asap .etc etc ..but for all those people with kids the same age dont give up on them (I could have ahhh) however now he loves his life here more than any of us ....he made a few friends at school ...tried surfing ..which he loves and things just changed over night .he has since got him self a new girlfriend which was a big one because he left one back in the UK ...(or to be 16 again ...)..anyway what im trying to say is if he can adjust there is hope for everyone because I did keep his passport hidden for the first 6mths as I really did think he would leg it ....

We have had a few problems along the way but over all what a fab new life we have here we love Perth love the weather love the friendly people ...Oh did take a while to adjust to his job but hey getting used to the oz way can be tricky ...but well worth it when you do ...I found myself a part time job which wasnt easy took a looooong time and is not the job Im used to but a job is a job and as we didnt bring a lot of money with us you got to take what you can which I think is something everyone should remember when moving here .

We were lucky and found a rental really soon after arrriving which has served us well ,however we are moving at the weekend to a much nicer place for less money but I feel once you get to know the areas around you you begin to like things you didnt think you did when you first arrive ....

Well our first year has been a very busy one but we have had a great time lots of tears at some points and lots of laughs at others .Good luck to everyone coming to Perth in my opinion a great place to live ...Roll on year two ....

Julia x

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest James W

Hey Julia,

Great to hear you are loving it & have stuck out the tough times.

We're hoping to head move to Perth in a couple of years once we get the visa & finances sorted - wish it was tomorrow!!

Best of luck for year 2 onwards you lucky devils.

J & B

I did keep his passport hidden for the first 6mths as I really did think he would leg it ....

.............how funny! :laugh:

Seriously though, a great update, good to hear your Son has settled, it really is a worry for us Mums

Glad things are going your way & your enjoying it......:yes:

Congratulations on your 1st anniversary, you've certainly weathered a few storms and I know that you probably laugh at the memory of your son not settling (you certainly made me smile), but it must have been a nightmare when you were in the thick of it. Well done for sticking at it, you sound as if you're all really settled now.

Ali x

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone and great post julia,

all the people that eventually emigrate have different circumstances as to why they have done so and also they all differ with the amount of money they can take with them. Julia admits that they didn't have alot and at times it was really difficult, but as she says, eventually things work out, most of the time, for some it doesn't. Julia's post gives all of us inspiration that if you have the right attitude and frame of mind, with a hard graft attitude, then your wonderful life in Australia can be a reality. Thanks again Julia and i hope your life keeps getting better and better.

jim

Guest annerichard

Hi Julia,

We are right at the beginning of the process, we want to be there tomorrow !!! I have children but not of that age so we will hopefully not have some of the issuses.

I'am glad you are all settled now, your son is happier and your all living your dream. Stay strong and remember why you are all there.

Thanks for the insperation, I know our time will come but it seems like a very long time away at the moment.

Thanks again

Anne xx

Guest JOHN ODonnell

Hello Julia,

We just got engaged, we have a daughter of 5 years old and we have decided to head to perth and have a view to emigration. We are seeking employment and employers visas to start, we will rent and look around and then settle where the spirits tell us to make roots lol............. we are looking into importing a vehicle and trying to find out about health care. Which part of the uk did you leave?

John and Jules

Thanks for all the replys everyone .As I said things can and do in my experience get tuff when you move over to oz .You dont have your close network of family and friends to turn to you only have each other which does get hard at times ,but always remember why you came and things will work out it does take hard work and doing without sometimes but I have found it made us stronger a a family as we all had to pull togeother .My oh had a job to come to and we still had times when we struggled for money .However we have adjusted and changed a few things in our life and things are good As a family we are happy .Our youngest who is 8 got off the plane and from that minute loved australia no probs he loves his school made some great new friends ,so in my experience the younger the child the easier the process .

My advise is to anyone making the move is save as much cash as you can it will make life easier .Always remember why you came here .Never let the dream get away and you will find what you are looking for .Most of all dont expect then you wont be dissapointed everything worth having you have to work dam hard for .

Its took us a year but we are getting there ....

Julia (John and Jules we came from the north east were are you ?)

Guest barrytheplumber

that's great to hear mate. Were a family of 4 heading to Perth around December 2010, I'm pretty sure we'll experience a lot of the same things you went through but really looking forward to it, Well done mate.. see you on the beach !

Hi tazbear:smile:..well done to you and your family..you sound as if your really starting to settle in Perth and enjoying it..it's good to hear your son has also begun to enjoy your new life there..it makes all the difference! I love Perth and miss it alot..it's a great city..wishing you all the best for the future..

Tess:cute:

Guest Letasha

Hi there great post - you made me laugh out loud when you wrote about your son and hiding his passport :0)

Amazing to hear you are all settling in and your dreams are coming true. All the best for the future x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest simondbsmith

Hi Julia, i am coming out to Perth this weekend for a recci as we both have sponser jobs to come to, just have to be 100% sure. We expect to have a joint income of about $100,00 per year and i get a company car, medi and our rental bond paid so we are hoping we will be ok as it looks very expensive to have a good time. We are not selling up here for 12 months so won't be coming with a sack of cash but jobs are ready from day one we arrive so no waiting to get paid. Thanks for any feed back!! Simon

Hi Simon

sounds like you are sorted im sure with that package you will be fine ..were are you going to work ?an live ?Dont get me wrong we have had a good year just with bumps along the way I guess ....Like everywere in the world you need X amount of money to survive but what I found here was at first you are so unsure of things you dont always spend wisely at first but once you have spent a little time here you learn how to save money on those things you cant do without ...

Hope you have a great flight and arrive safe and sound at the wkend ....if you are nor then give me a shout w are about this wkend could always call round for a drink you would be welcome ....Julia

Guest looby1pink

Hi Julie

Im so glad i read your post it has given me that extra boost you need sometimes. We have been SOR since january so still very early days for us, but i think your right in saying you work hard to get where you are, i am a believer in life is what you make it. A lot of my family thought i wore rose tinted specticles when we left but i know im open minded and focused on what we have to do to make it work, and i think you need that drive behind you. It is my birthday today, so i am feeling a little homesick, so thankyou Julie you were just what i needed. Lou x

Hi Shellyst30

We are from Bishop Auckland only ten mins from Darlington ....small world eh ...I love Mullaloo we are often down there ...

its really hard with teenages but it does get better in time then you never see them they are always out and about doing something .Ours deffo has a better social life than us Lol ....Julia

My goodness Newton Aycliffe ......Our eldest is at Mindaree collage he is enjoying it there he was at Kinross before that but it only goes up to year 10 .The youngest is at Kinross primary which he likes as well .We are living in Clarkon .I will def have to call round or you call on me I will PM you later with details ....Julia

Julia, Thanks for the great post, hopefully we will be there by the end of April (as long as the house sale goes through ok ) Your story is very encouraging. My youngest is nearly 16, luckily he loved it from the minute he stepped off the plane ( when we did a reccie) & didn't want to come home. Now he keeps asking " when are we going home", bless, we can't wait to be there. X

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daveintaiwan

Glad to hear things are going well. Always takes a bit of time to settle into a new place.

We were lucky and found a rental really soon after arrriving which has served us well ,however we are moving at the weekend to a much nicer place for less money but I feel once you get to know the areas around you you begin to like things you didnt think you did when you first arrive ....

Curious to know what changed. What things do you like now that you didn't in the beginning?

As a family of 4 hopefully heading to Perth AND with a 14 (soon 15) who has told us if we make him move away from his friends he will never speak to us ever again (which was hard to hear to be honest).

If, knowing what you know now, if you had to do it all over again what would you do, what changes would you have made to the way you approached the whole process?

Guest tony&dee
Hi everyone just a bit of a yearly update .We arrived in Perth a year ago now and what can I say ....wouldnt go back to the UK now if I was dragged kicking and screaming ....

We are a family of four and have had our ups and downs since arriving .our eldest son who was 15 when we arrived did make our life a living hell for the first three months .He didnt unpack untill we had been here two months saying we had ruined his life and was going home asap .etc etc ..but for all those people with kids the same age dont give up on them (I could have ahhh) however now he loves his life here more than any of us ....he made a few friends at school ...tried surfing ..which he loves and things just changed over night .he has since got him self a new girlfriend which was a big one because he left one back in the UK ...(or to be 16 again ...)..anyway what im trying to say is if he can adjust there is hope for everyone because I did keep his passport hidden for the first 6mths as I really did think he would leg it ....

We have had a few problems along the way but over all what a fab new life we have here we love Perth love the weather love the friendly people ...Oh did take a while to adjust to his job but hey getting used to the oz way can be tricky ...but well worth it when you do ...I found myself a part time job which wasnt easy took a looooong time and is not the job Im used to but a job is a job and as we didnt bring a lot of money with us you got to take what you can which I think is something everyone should remember when moving here .

Well our first year has been a very busy one but we have had a great time lots of tears at some points and lots of laughs at others .Good luck to everyone coming to Perth in my opinion a great place to live ...Roll on year two ....

Julia x

Hi, great to read your post, we are moving to Perth on the 22 June and have 3 girls the eldest is 16, then 14 and 10. The youngest is ok about going but the other two are worried. They think they will have no friends and hate the thought of leaving family and friends behind. I keep reassuring them , what else can we do. Can you tell me what part you are in and what are good areas and schools.

Guest perth awaiting

Hi TonynDee

We are going out on 28.3 to validate and hoping to back for good early Oct. I have a 16 year old son who, at the mo, is ok about going, although my 18 year old is adamant he is staying, tough for me but it's his choice. We are only 10 minutes away from you so if you fancy meeting up pm me. Maybe the kids could meet too and they would at least know someone who is also making the move and they could perhaps reassure each other.

Ann

Archived