Moving to Bristol

Guest Guest37175

Guest Guest37175

Looking to make the move home to the UK later this year. Sadly for me my OH has put her foot down on us returning to London or the South-East and has proposed Bristol as a compromise.

Trouble is, neither of us knows the place. Any Bristolians or non-Bristolians who know the city well out there who could advise us on the good areas to live?

We're in our early 40's with a 3 year old daughter.

Cheers in advance.

I grew up in Bristol. I would say North Bristol. The areas that come to mind would be Thornbuty,Alveston and Olveston. Close to the Motorways (M5) and (M32) into bristol. The schoold are very good Primary and secondary. Have a look on Rightmove.com for houses, If you need any more help then give me a shout as i still keep in contact with alot of people there.

Sue

Guest Guest37175
I grew up in Bristol. I would say North Bristol. The areas that come to mind would be Thornbuty,Alveston and Olveston. Close to the Motorways (M5) and (M32) into bristol. The schoold are very good Primary and secondary. Have a look on Rightmove.com for houses, If you need any more help then give me a shout as i still keep in contact with alot of people there.

Sue

Thanks for that Sue. My OH mentioned Redland Hill last night as a possible. Looks a bit pricey though. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi,

Its Rachet on the OH's log in.

Theres always Bradley Stoke too. Not too bad. I lived in Little stoke before bradley stoke was build. Stoke gifford/stoke lodge was always a decent enough area. Filton high was good enough as a school. Other than that theres patchway high but im not sure how good that one is for the kids

How about Bath?? Its much nicer ! Schools appear better too!

I would imagine that area of Bristol would be a bit pricey. We lived in Kingsdown before we left for Australia, right under the shadow of the hospital chimney and it was a great place to be - but we were before kids needing to go to school etc. I wouldnt go back to Bristol I dont think - we were there because DH was a student and we couldnt have bought a better house for uni proximity but it was a bit on the down at heel side (excellent property values though!). Have you thought of any of the surrounding village areas? There are some nice places out around Chew Magna and it isnt a horrible drive into town. I'd much rather head for a village these days but when we were younger the proximity of the city being within walking distance was fantastic - and the city has improved heaps since we lived there. If I had lots of money then Bath would be my pick.

Why did she opt for Bristol??? Why not Gloucester or Exeter or Swindon or????

Hi I live in South Gloucestershire in a village half way between Bristol and Bath, its a nice area and the schools good, but its subjective ( I understand what its like for people living in Australia when we ask what areas are good.!!)

Probably the best thing I can do is to tell you places that wouldn't probably want to live, sorry if I offend anyone,

St Pauls

Easton

Stapleton

Knowle West

Hartcliffe

Lockleaze

Montpelier

Southmead

Redland wouldnt be my choice as its bedsit land in places and the other places are way too expensive the same with Clifton ( student land! unless your a millionairre! )

Hope this helps x

p.s. have been living in Bristol for 42 years. Bath is nice in parts but other parts are not so pleasant the same as anywhere. My Husband and Son were both born there.

Just said goodbye to friends returning to Bath aww - I love it there used to hitch there as a reckless teenager from my home town Swindon - which is not somewhere I would return to though (although in-laws still there) - remember there was a branch of The Office in Swindon - says it all really.

Hope you're having a good time in Uk Quoll :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest37175
Hi,

Its Rachet on the OH's log in.

Theres always Bradley Stoke too. Not too bad. I lived in Little stoke before bradley stoke was build. Stoke gifford/stoke lodge was always a decent enough area. Filton high was good enough as a school. Other than that theres patchway high but im not sure how good that one is for the kids

How about Bath?? Its much nicer ! Schools appear better too!

I'd never thought of Bath at all, thanks for the tip!

Guest Guest37175
I would imagine that area of Bristol would be a bit pricey. We lived in Kingsdown before we left for Australia, right under the shadow of the hospital chimney and it was a great place to be - but we were before kids needing to go to school etc. I wouldnt go back to Bristol I dont think - we were there because DH was a student and we couldnt have bought a better house for uni proximity but it was a bit on the down at heel side (excellent property values though!). Have you thought of any of the surrounding village areas? There are some nice places out around Chew Magna and it isnt a horrible drive into town. I'd much rather head for a village these days but when we were younger the proximity of the city being within walking distance was fantastic - and the city has improved heaps since we lived there. If I had lots of money then Bath would be my pick.

Why did she opt for Bristol??? Why not Gloucester or Exeter or Swindon or????

Hi Quoll, my OH is desperate to avoid returning to London and so I think she basically stuck a pin in the map and landed on Bristol!. I don't know if it's gonna work out or not but I gotta get home.:unsure:

Guest chris955

My OH is from Bath and we lived there for about 8 years on and off, it's a beautiful place overall but does have some less desirable areas of course. I would be tempted to try maybe North Devon.

Guest rainbeau

I am Bristol born and bred, there are plenty of realy nice areas close to the city I lived in Bedminster which is nice, here are some areas I would recommend if you want to be closer to city

St Andrews

Southville

Henleaze.. nice but pricey

Hotwells

lower knowle

Take a look at skins and being human all filmed around these areas of Bristol.

xxxx

Guest rainbeau

Also have to say st Pauls and Montpelier have had loads of cash injected and are now close to the new cabot circus development, in the not too near future they will be like the notting hill of Bristol !

Not the no go areas they used to be

Guest Guest37175
I am Bristol born and bred, there are plenty of realy nice areas close to the city I lived in Bedminster which is nice, here are some areas I would recommend if you want to be closer to city

St Andrews

Southville

Henleaze.. nice but pricey

Hotwells

lower knowle

Take a look at skins and being human all filmed around these areas of Bristol.

xxxx

Thanks Rainbeau :smile:

Guest valleylass

Ozsceptic

You wouldn't/wife wouldn't consider the north then? It's not grim anymore (honest)

My OH is from Bath and we lived there for about 8 years on and off, it's a beautiful place overall but does have some less desirable areas of course. I would be tempted to try maybe North Devon.

Now you are talking .......Croyde bay all day long .......iam there in a couple of weeks .....COME ON !

Hi Quoll, my OH is desperate to avoid returning to London and so I think she basically stuck a pin in the map and landed on Bristol!. I don't know if it's gonna work out or not but I gotta get home.:unsure:

There are some beautiful places in this country .

My advice stay out of the cities ( ALL OF THEM) , and stay off the M6 , M1 corridor .

As i have said in many previous posts , i drive all over the place now .

There are thousands of fantastic little towns and villages in the u.k , where you will have a good life ......and you wont be stabbed,mugged or shot:biglaugh:

Guest chris955

Are you sure ? My understanding was everyone in the UK is stabbed, mugged or robbed at least once in their life. :biggrin:

.and you wont be stabbed,mugged or shot:biglaugh:

Guest Jules2
Looking to make the move home to the UK later this year. Sadly for me my OH has put her foot down on us returning to London or the South-East and has proposed Bristol as a compromise.

Trouble is, neither of us knows the place. Any Bristolians or non-Bristolians who know the city well out there who could advise us on the good areas to live?

We're in our early 40's with a 3 year old daughter.

Cheers in advance.

Can't comment on Bristol it self but we do live 15-20 miles south of Bristol, just off the M5 in a beautiful place called Sand Bay. It's semi-rural next to the beach but with a real community feel and only 6mins to the M5 to commute to Bristol. Best of both worlds!! We have a fantastic little school, both my girls go there and are both doing really well, lovely bunch of kids in the school, only 100 pupils for 4-11yrs Primary.

Oh and did I mention, we have a lovely 4 bed house for sale!!!! lol!

Are you sure ? My understanding was everyone in the UK is stabbed, mugged or robbed at least once in their life. :biggrin:

I lived in the countryside and Birmingham and never saw a mugging or knew anyone that got attacked. I have a friend who got king hit walking through Adelaides rundle mall a few years back so i guess it's a case of wrong place wrong time. Muggings and knife crime seesm to be endemic all over the western world not just the UK, To be honest i think murdochs papers like to over blow the Uk violence to the point that it would appear everyone is being victimised. We get our share of bikie gang shootouts in Cougar street in the city from time to time.

Can't comment on Bristol it self but we do live 15-20 miles south of Bristol, just off the M5 in a beautiful place called Sand Bay. It's semi-rural next to the beach but with a real community feel and only 6mins to the M5 to commute to Bristol. Best of both worlds!! We have a fantastic little school, both my girls go there and are both doing really well, lovely bunch of kids in the school, only 100 pupils for 4-11yrs Primary.

Oh and did I mention, we have a lovely 4 bed house for sale!!!! lol!

Ooh love Sand Bay have spent many a lovely Sunday down there!:notworthy:

Guest Guest37175
Ozsceptic

You wouldn't/wife wouldn't consider the north then? It's not grim anymore (honest)

Hiya, we have thought about it. I grew up in Liverpool and spent most of my 20's in Yorkshire and we have family and friends dotted around those areas. I do feel most comfortable in London though and it does offer us greater choices work-wise.

Where are you from Valleylass?

Archived