3rd time lucky our story so far !

Guest barrytheplumber

Guest barrytheplumber

I've been reading peoples experiences on pomsinoz for about 12 months now but never contributed to the forum. So here's our story so far :-

My wife and I backpacked arround Australia in 1999/2000. We arrived in Perth and did all the touristy stuff, which took us from WA, all the way through SA and up the east coast to Cairns, but the cash ran out and after 6 months we had to return to the UK.

We got married and have two girls who are 4 and 8.

We decided we would like to live in Australia and in 2007 via an agent, we started the process of applying for emigration, and in December 2008 we were granted a sub class 176 permanent residence visa.

So in October 2009 we landed in Queensland for a 3 week research holiday. We stayed in an area called Redcliffe which is about 30 mins drive from Brisbane. We found it hard work mixing a holiday with a research trip.

We realised everything was a lot more expensive than when we were there the first time, but to be honest I think the exchange rate killed it more than anything. When we first applied for the visa the exchange rate was about 2.2 but when we went in October last year the rate was 1.65, and if you take into account the crash in the housing market it's a lot of money lost in equity.

So we came back and after a 3 month cooling off period we have decided to emigrate to Perth in December this year. This will give us time to settle and rent some where and get the girls into school as the school term starts in February.

For what it's worth there would be 3 things I would mention.

1. I'm a plumber and there's not a lot of work at the moment so instead of holding back and not going untill the work picks up I'll diversify and look for something else. So be willing to flexible.

2. Do your research. We realised that our youngest couldn't start school untill February 2011 when she is 5. This would meen my wife would of have to look after her and not able to go to work where she could make friends and earn money etc.

3. I know it's more expensive because of the exchange rate and the strong dollar but if you wait for that to change you might not get there.

Whilst I was in Oz last year I got talking to an Aussie guy and he said to me :-

" I was in the UK back in May and everyone looked really unhappy but I suppose when you start loosing your banks you're having a bad day "

So go for it and enjoy Australia for what it is.

cheers, Barry.

Guest Guest31881
1. I'm a plumber and there's not a lot of work at the moment so instead of holding back and not going untill the work picks up I'll diversify and look for something else. So be willing to flexible.

Good attitude to have, find a job, any job. you can then look for work in your own line once you have a wage coming in.

2. Do your research. We realised that our youngest couldn't start school untill February 2011 when she is 5. This would meen my wife would of have to look after her and not able to go to work where she could make friends and earn money etc.

You have done your homework

3. I know it's more expensive because of the exchange rate and the strong dollar but if you wait for that to change you might not get there.

Very Valid point, the £ has lost 30% of its value, that will always make australia appear 30% more expensive than a couple of years ago.

You have obviousley thought this through and I think you will make a success of your move here. Its a refreshing change to read a post like this.

Good luck, (but I don't think you will need it with such a positive attitude).

Cant believe you have not researched as much into it as possible.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but so many people on here spend a long time researching Oz, and find out as much as possible. While you apply and get a visa while others are still waiting, then you go try it and come home then apply for another visa (prob to get it) and make others wait while yours gets priority as a 176 (family or state sponsored) which means you will have been to and tried oz 3 times while others still have to wait for their visas seems unfair.

Why not find out about education on here or a similar site? ask people when you took your kids to Brisbane/Redcliffe or even before you went by simply googling "what age do children start school in australia?" as there were 19million responses you could have read!!

sorry just a little peeved that the cost of relocating back home for the suffice of 1 year, and the cost of another visa would have been enough for your wife to work part time/bring up your youngest may have been worth staying there.

Did you not read the comments on here before on how the recession was hitting everywhere not just here and australia, and Australia have faired somewhat better in there management of it, by paying tax refunds to people!! to stimulate their economy.

Guest Guest31881
Cant believe you have not researched as much into it as possible.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but so many people on here spend a long time researching Oz, and find out as much as possible. While you apply and get a visa while others are still waiting, then you go try it and come home then apply for another visa (prob to get it) and make others wait while yours gets priority as a 176 (family or state sponsored) which means you will have been to and tried oz 3 times while others still have to wait for their visas seems unfair.

Why not find out about education on here or a similar site? ask people when you took your kids to Brisbane/Redcliffe or even before you went by simply googling "what age do children start school in australia?" as there were 19million responses you could have read!!

sorry just a little peeved that the cost of relocating back home for the suffice of 1 year, and the cost of another visa would have been enough for your wife to work part time/bring up your youngest may have been worth staying there.

Did you not read the comments on here before on how the recession was hitting everywhere not just here and australia, and Australia have faired somewhat better in there management of it, by paying tax refunds to people!! to stimulate their economy.

I am sorry but are we reading the same post?

I see nothing about applying for a 2nd visa; the poster has a PR visa, issued in 2008

1st visit was before they applied to emigrate, in 2000

2nd vist was a 3 weeks reccie, then went home to cool off, think and make decision.

3rd visit will be to emigrate

is he taking you with him in his case too???

Just seems that surely if they had been previous to the reccie 3 wks trip, and that his daughter is almost 5 then the research of schooling would have been done a lot sooner.

as for work, who is to say the mother cant work from home? or a child minder? where does it say you HAVE to have childminding benefits paid in order for your wife to work?

Also what predetermines the steretype here. If you are so worried that your daughter cant start school and your wife will be responsible for her care therefore unable to work, plus the added fact you mentioned your plumbing work was scarce, who is to say you cant be the carer and you stay at home and your wife be the one to go out to work? or would that be too hard, or just not manly for you?

Sorry to sound harsh, but there are so many people that simply moan on here and other sites, when they clearly have the added benefit and luxury of being able to visit OZ on several occasions and not utilise the time wisely to fully prepare timings and correct procedures to make sure its the right place and time in advance. Also to give the impression that having PR visa on a plate without hiccup and quite fast isnt enough for some people is also somewhat calous considering the others who use this site can clearly see it as a "nose snub"perhaps. Finally with the bones of this post giving the impression of "tried it, kids cant go school, wife cant work as lumbered with kids, and no childcare of family to dump, took easy option thgt will stay in UK and bludge from Benefits till we need to go, as get child care money and tax credits there, and i can still be a plumber too".

Why post if you cant handle criticism when faced with an issue that you are simply are finding difficult too, plus the people who are going through visa applications with other serious complications such as health, elderly parents, and other more serious and sad issues.

Typical whingeing pom is all I can say, Perth has yet another statistic on there way it seems. Just as it is now tut tut

Guest barrytheplumber

wow ! I'm sorry one reader has took offence to my thread. I don't want to get into a bitching match but feel your post was aggressive and unfair.

Firstly I haven't applied for 2 visas, just one. We went to Australia the second time round as it states in my thread for a research trip/holiday, we didn't come home and apply for another visa we were allready in possession of it, we had to enter Australia by October 9th 2009 to activate it. How can you rant on about me being calous and giving the impression of giving people a 'nose snub' and getting my visa quickly and on a plate and without any hiccups. How do you know what we went through and how long it took to get our visa. And you go on about us not doing enough research on the internet before we made the trip, HOW DARE YOU ! My wife and I sat in front of the computer for nearly 2 years researching all kinds of stuff.

You accuse us of not researching schools before we went on our holiday. We did research on schooling before we went and it was always our intention of waiting untill our youngest was of school age. ( THATS THE POINT OF DOING RESEARCH ISN'T IT ) You also shout off about how we didn't want to be lumbered with the kids and took the easy option of going back to the UK and living off child care and tax benefits. WHAT PLANET OUR YOU ON ! As I said we we went on a 3 week holiday so we had to return home ! My wife and I are working and don't live off benefits and don't recieve any tax or child care allowances. You acuse us of not being able to handle criticism and not having feelings for any other visa applicants. WHERE DID YOU GET THAT FROM !

And finally you gob off about us being whingeing poms and we're just another statistic on the way to Perth, well I would answer that by asking you to read my thread again because I can't find anywhere in it about whingeing.

SO If you ever decide to add comment on any of my future threads, read it properly and get your facts right because this time your well off the mark.

..ps, thanks for all the genuine nice comments from other users.

Also, moving to Oz is a HUGE step. The fact that you've been looking at postings on here for 12 months and doing research says to me that you're making sure you de-risk the move over as much as possible, as you appreciate how life-changing it is.

I guess sometimes frustrations spill over, and I do empathise with people on here that are in the frustrating wait period and are so keen to get over to Oz.

I found your post very thoughtful and useful, and I hope this thread hasn't discouraged you from continuing to post :-)

Great post Barry and very Informative. Dont see the point that the krestsaf is trying to make, really misinterpretated your post by sounds of it. For some the visa process is straight forward for others not so. There shouldn't be any jealousy just a 'good on ya' and best of luck, let's hope it goes as smoothly for us .....

Guest Freudian Slip
I've been reading peoples experiences on pomsinoz for about 12 months now but never contributed to the forum. So here's our story so far :-

My wife and I backpacked arround Australia in 1999/2000. We arrived in Perth and did all the touristy stuff, which took us from WA, all the way through SA and up the east coast to Cairns, but the cash ran out and after 6 months we had to return to the UK.

We decided we would like to live in Australia and in 2007 via an agent, we started the process of applying for emigration, and in December 2008 we were granted a sub class 176 permanent residence visa.

So in October 2009 we landed in Queensland for a 3 week research holiday. We stayed in an area called Redcliffe which is about 30 mins drive from Brisbane. We found it hard work mixing a holiday with a research trip.

We realised everything was a lot more expensive than when we were there the first time, but to be honest I think the exchange rate killed it more than anything. When we first applied for the visa the exchange rate was about 2.2 but when we went in October last year the rate was 1.65, and if you take into account the crash in the housing market it's a lot of money lost in equity.

So we came back and after a 3 month cooling off period we have decided to emigrate to Perth in December this year. This will give us time to settle and rent some where and get the girls into school as the school term starts in February.

Whilst I was in Oz last year I got talking to an Aussie guy and he said to me :-

" I was in the UK back in May and everyone looked really unhappy but I suppose when you start loosing your banks you're having a bad day "

cheers, Barry.

A Good and honest post Barry, very refreshing!

Thanks, Gill:biggrin:

Did you say this was your first post?

Oh dear if it is what a terrible response! :chatterbox:

Hello and welcome if it is and thankyou for the imformation. :wubclub:

Its a rollercoaster thats for sure. We are one of the "weird" ones who are going to Perth to live in June and we have never visited just lived on the internet. We were originally going to stay in Redcliffe as my daughter lives nearby but we had to get WA sponsership so we are now heading for Perth and really looking forward to it.

Guest kevinboomer

Hi Barry,

Couldn't beleive that response. Wot planet are these people on? People love to judge don't they.Idiots!!.

Bitter! Sour Grapes! All springs to mind.

I've been on this forum for years and i don't think i've ever heard such an ill-informed,bitter response from someone who obviously can't read and make assumptions about people they have never even met!!!! Like i said. Idiots!!!

I think you deserve an apology my friend, and if you don't they should hang their head in shame!!

I think you did what any parent would do which is of course put your family first.Nothing wrong with that in my book.Lets face it nobody else is gonna do it! Good on ya buddy!!!

Regards

Kev

While you apply and get a visa while others are still waiting, then you go try it and come home then apply for another visa (prob to get it) and make others wait while yours gets priority as a 176 (family or state sponsored) which means you will have been to and tried oz 3 times while others still have to wait for their visas seems unfair.

Life isn't fair, get over it.

And who are you to judge these people as to how they do things in their life.

You sound very bitter and jealous to me.

Guest CROWEMAN

Originally Posted by krestsaf viewpost.gif

While you apply and get a visa while others are still waiting, then you go try it and come home then apply for another visa (prob to get it) and make others wait while yours gets priority as a 176 (family or state sponsored) which means you will have been to and tried oz 3 times while others still have to wait for their visas seems unfair.

Hey, life isn't always a perfect bed ofroses. Give the guy a break. He's got kids, jobs and finances to worry about - does it really matter whether he searched through a thousand other threads looking for every detail prior to making the big decision? And since when was any application system 'fair' - are you seriously suggesting that people should only be given a single opportunity to visit prior to making a decision? Sounds like Barry has bags of common sense to me

Barry - best advice is to ignore boorish posts like the one above and carry on with your plans. You won't regret your decision and it certainly shouldn't be influenced by bitter axe grinders. Good luck.

cheers, Barry.

Great post Barry, we're in a similar situation, our youngest turns 5 in july, so we're hoping to make the move later this year in plenty of time for the new school term.

Hope the one! bad reaction you've had on here does't put you off posting in future as real experiences like yours are great to read.

Many thanks

Ian

i thought krustuvs response was a bit harsh mate ! and i don't like plumbers cus they smash holes in my floors ,make me cut up floors because of leaks and rip my pipe casings out :laugh: good luck to you , have you ever worked on their house i wonder ! i'm looking to redcliffe myself love it up there

Guest barrytheplumber

no mate not done any work in his house I think it's just the ' time of the month '.

Redcliffe's beautiful mate, hope it works out,

Regards, Barry..

Apologies for any offence caused, just seemed the impression the post gave me was that there are so many people out there happy to take advantage of the benefits of child care etc. By coming home, however I am sorry I may have been too quick to judge you as one of them. I am sure you agree though from experience and not having these added benefits yourself, you want your trip to run as smooth as possible, as it is not just a holiday it is a life change, and we appreciate that.

Having gone to Australia ourselves on a WHV like you and your wife, only to be diagnosed with cancer 4 weeks into the trip we can still see the benefits of being there not the UK in the worst possible situation, it was still 10 times better than being in blighty.

Good luck to you all with Australia

Krestsaf, Barry, great to see the misunderstanding/interpretation resolved. I'm a plumber and heading perth bound with my wife too. We lodged a WA State spon app in august 09 and expect to hear any day now.

Have you done much research into getting your plumbing license in WA yet? We were going to QLD but to speed things up we decided to change to WA as QLD wern't sponsoring plumbers. Most of my research has been done on QLD so I'm just looking at WA rules now.

Regards

Martin

Guest Letasha

Hey Barry great post!!!

I get what you mean about doing your research - its the little things that can catch you out. We are heading to Perth too so good choice mate lol. Keep posting and keep us updated.

Hey Barry great post!!!

I get what you mean about doing your research - its the little things that can catch you out. We are heading to Perth too so good choice mate lol. Keep posting and keep us updated.

Hi Letasha,

Just out of insterest, have you got as far as choosing north or south of the swan river yet? We really can't decide, heard so many good and a few bad things about both.

Archived