Joiners, Carpenters, Plumbers, Bricklayers, Plasterers etc etc etc

Proview220

Just giving us tradie applications a bit of a bump in case anyone has got anything inspiring to share in relation to the new cap and cease bill being talked about??!!! This visa thing is not the most calming of things to do!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just giving us tradie applications a bit of a bump in case anyone has got anything inspiring to share in relation to the new cap and cease bill being talked about??!!! This visa thing is not the most calming of things to do!

What cap and cease bill?:err:

• 2 months later...
Bump!

Are you getting all lonely waiting for your visa to go to W.A., proview.......

well I'm sat here in W.A. right now doing a reccie checking it all out.

NOR...well north of Butler, there's building work happening all over the place, right the way up to Yanchep !!!!! and its gonna be going on for the next 20/30 years. There's also s**t loads going on in and around Perth. Thing is, like has been mentioned in other posts the majority of the work is for bricklayers, apart from a little shuttering, roofing, cupboards, kitchens and doors for us chippies.

I also think that its pretty hard to get a foot in any doors because its a case of who you know....not what you know.

Also been checking out the house situation and it seems to me that on the whole they are pretty expensive..... $400k as an average.......if your thinking of building, blocks are about $200k and upwards depending on where it is...plus cost of the new house (about $200k and above).........and still rising !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Or course to the pommie its expensive, particularly because of the exchange rate right now, but if your here living in OZ you would be earning dollars so spending dollars and wages do seem to be higher in comparison to UK.....

You might also fancy working up north of Australia at the mine fields where a mate of mine who's a scaffolder is knocking up about $3000 a week (working 6 days, 12 hours a day mind in 30 deg + heat)

Anyway its not all work... been on the beach today (23 degrees) and caught the sun.... which aint too bad to say its middle of winter here......

All in all I'm more than aware that its not going to be an easy place to move to, you just get a good feeling inside, great beaches to walk, better climate ( even in winter, when its not raining that is) and I just love bush bashing in a big 4x4.....gotta get me one of them......

Lets hope W.A. get their skates on and bring out the SMP list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlos

Hi Carlos!

Thanks for info. OH a cabinetmaker so just waiting here impatiently!!!!:arghh:

We have lived in Perth before 10 years ago, and have been in contact with previous boss and friends. He also says there is loads of work, "get your arse out here".

OH is a kitchen maker and fitter, but did carpentry when he was in Oz before.

The urge to go back to Perth is more than just work, as you say, its a gorgeous place, I loved the people, friendly and helpful. Im here in the west of Ireland and the weather is crap again. Not much to do with the kids when your running for one shower to the next. Its gorgeous for the 2 days the sun actually comes out!!

Also the construction trade is dead here. 200,000+ trades unemployed. OH working so very lucky, but for greatly reduced wages and unpaid overtime. Hes dragging his feet every morning.

Trades are wanted in WA as far as I hear, so hopefully will be on WA skills list.

Watching out everyday!!!!

WA - Wait Awhile!!!!!!

Cheers Caz

My Other half is a refrig Engineer, we are awaiting to hear back from his trade assessment. Do you know if Refrig Engineer is in demand in Perth? Or anyone know how long it usually takes then to get back to you on the Trade assessment? We are concerned we havent attached enough evidence.

Waiting and worrying. We didnt use a agent to do the Trade assessment, now thinking maybe we should have- If we are lucky enough to get to the visa stage we are going to use a agent.

Leeanne

Hi Carlos!

Im here in the west of Ireland and the weather is crap again. Not much to do with the kids when your running for one shower to the next. Its gorgeous for the 2 days the sun actually comes out

Cheers Caz

Trust me .... its winter and its absolutely p**sed it down on a lot of days since we've been here, mostly on a night......but rain is important for W.A. because during summer it hardly ever rains......still love the place but it aint 365 days of sun like most people think......

Guest GemandJay

NOR...well north of Butler, there's building work happening all over the place, right the way up to Yanchep !!!!! and its gonna be going on for the next 20/30 years. There's also s**t loads going on in and around Perth. Thing is, like has been mentioned in other posts the majority of the work is for bricklayers, apart from a little shuttering, roofing, cupboards, kitchens and doors for us chippies.

I also think that its pretty hard to get a foot in any doors because its a case of who you know....not what you know.

Also been checking out the house situation and it seems to me that on the whole they are pretty expensive..... $400k as an average.......if your thinking of building, blocks are about $200k and upwards depending on where it is...plus cost of the new house (about $200k and above).........and still rising !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Or course to the pommie its expensive, particularly because of the exchange rate right now, but if your here living in OZ you would be earning dollars so spending dollars and wages do seem to be higher in comparison to UK.....

You might also fancy working up north of Australia at the mine fields where a mate of mine who's a scaffolder is knocking up about $3000 a week (working 6 days, 12 hours a day mind in 30 deg + heat)

Anyway its not all work... been on the beach today (23 degrees) and caught the sun.... which aint too bad to say its middle of winter here......

All in all I'm more than aware that its not going to be an easy place to move to, you just get a good feeling inside, great beaches to walk, better climate ( even in winter, when its not raining that is) and I just love bush bashing in a big 4x4.....gotta get me one of them......

Carlos

Hi Carlos

I am soooooo jealous, how long are you in WA for?? Hope you have a great reccie any idea whereabouts in WA you'll head for?

Really hoping that as we're now Cat 3 and lodged July 09 that we could hear about a Case Officer soooooooon, but then again don't suppose they work on a first come first serve basis.

take care

Gemma

Carlos

Cheers Carlos, Im heading to the east coast, Brisbane!

Proview

Trust me .... its winter and its absolutely p**sed it down on a lot of days since we've been here, mostly on a night......but rain is important for W.A. because during summer it hardly ever rains......still love the place but it aint 365 days of sun like most people think......
i,ve just got back and it made me chuckle at news of the harshest winter in 15 years ! it got bit chilly at night but days were lovely.i was suprised how many ads for brickies were in paper , at least 20 every night compared to 1 for chippies.made me wonder why i tried so hard at school:biglaugh: got work there if i want it but still not sure if going mackay , redcliffe or joondalup. life was easier when i thought i had state sponsorship!

Hi guys,

Hope Ive attached this pic right. Now this is a pic of summer in Ireland at the height of summer!!!! Could the people have more clothes on them:laugh:

The summers in Perth more than make up for any rain in the winter, in my opinion.

Cheers

Caz

OH a cabinetmaker

Guest bindog1uk
i,ve just got back and it made me chuckle at news of the harshest winter in 15 years ! it got bit chilly at night but days were lovely.i was suprised how many ads for brickies were in paper , at least 20 every night compared to 1 for chippies.made me wonder why i tried so hard at school:biglaugh: got work there if i want it but still not sure if going mackay , redcliffe or joondalup. life was easier when i thought i had state sponsorship!

Hi mickyb, just wondered if you noticed what work was like for rest of trades not just brickies. Wev'e all been hearing that the construction industry is bad in Queensland, did you see anything for jobs as say, plasterers, suspended ceilings, dry wall liners, electricions ect. Cheers Lesley.

Saw loads of work going on in Bris ,they're building all by the river big blocks of units and houses still going up so I guess there's got tobeplenty for plasterers and all trades but qld seems have chippies do boarding and suspended ceilings and metal stud lot of council refurbs going on as well as commercial stuff .redcliffe had fairbit going on with high rises and lotof work still at lakes . Big thing is the old not what but who you know , but I've got mate in Bris has got every job he's rung up for out of paper because English trades have good reputation

Hi Carlos

I am soooooo jealous, how long are you in WA for?? Hope you have a great reccie any idea whereabouts in WA you'll head for?

Really hoping that as we're now Cat 3 and lodged July 09 that we could hear about a Case Officer soooooooon, but then again don't suppose they work on a first come first serve basis.

take care

Gemma

Hi Gemma

We've been here for two and a half weeks...were flying back Saturday (unfortunately)

We've been looking all over, all of it N.O.R., we liked Kallaroo, Mullaloo, Iluka and Kinross. There are a few other places but like I mentioned earlier, prices do seem to be pretty high, more so the closer to the beach you are.

I'm a Carpenter and got W.A. sponsorship so i'm really hoping the new smp's come out soon.

Oh....and its been a scorcher on Yanchep Lagoon beach today !!!!!!!!!!

Carlos

Guest Sebbers

Oh....and its been a scorcher on Yanchep Lagoon beach today !!!!!!!!!!

Yanchep Lagoon what a beautiful place, pity the weather wasn't good the day we were there

Guest Sebbers
Sure is beautiful.......but the ocean there this time of year was bloody freezing !!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlos

I'm afraid we didn't brave the ocean at all whilst we were there!

• 4 months later...
Guest johnbaguio
Our time will come for sure, hang in there.

Proview

Hi Proview,

Thank you for the insights Ive have gleaned whilst reading through your threads.I'm a carpenter offshore aswell and about to send my first stage documents for the vetassess.I'm seeking any advice on documents needed to be submitted and how to pass the practical exam for carpentry.Also,can you kindly give me some pointers on the scope of the practical exams.Thank you in advance and Remain Blessed!:notworthy:

Archived