Guest guest36187

Good luck - you should be there soon!

Can't believe it happened in less than 400 days for us! - exactly 13 months from acknowledgement to Visa granted

Thanks for the nice thought. Logged in tonight and saw e mail from a strange immi address. Heart quickens!. Open e mail. From medical officer in Sidney. Need more info on wifes condition!!!!:arghh:. Was in the throws of trying to get monies together to pay 2nd VAC by month end at High Commission London. Ah well. should know by now, best laid plans of mice and men.:goofy:

In the unlikely event we sell our house for more than we expected we may be able to go Business Class but I'd rather put the money towards a new car/things for our new home. Its only for 24 hours after all and after all the ups and downs so far we can put up with a bit of discomfort!

At least we just got confirmation from our agent -WE NOW HAVE OUR VISAS!!!!!!!!:chatterbox:

Congratulations!!! Well done!!:jiggy::jiggy:

Like you we now wait for the house sale, we are reluctant to leave the UK without having sold the house, house sales are very slow down in South Devon, but always optimistic, we had a viewing this evening which seemed to go well so we wait and see!!.

We would not look forward to another winter here, it get's cold even in South Devon, so fingers crossed maybe we shall hear something in the morning!

KandM

Visa granted 20th May 2011

Off to Central Coast

STILL waiting for my police check to arrive...DH checs arrived over two weeks ago...mine was posted back on the 8th June...but not arrived yet....it just seems one hold up after another ...I asked them to post another but that wont happen for 15 working days after its been posted ....or we have o send a cheque for another...if nothing arrives before thursday we will send the cheque...anyone else had this happen ...

In the unlikely event we sell our house for more than we expected we may be able to go Business Class but I'd rather put the money towards a new car/things for our new home. Its only for 24 hours after all and after all the ups and downs so far we can put up with a bit of discomfort!

At least we just got confirmation from our agent -WE NOW HAVE OUR VISAS!!!!!!!!:chatterbox:

CONGRATULATIONS ....sO EXCITING FOR YOU....

Guest Andy1972

Hi,

Good Morning...(well in the uk anyway)

I have a question regarding sponsorship for parents.

We just obtained the paperwork and a family member who has citizenship already in Aus is required to give certain "assurances" to financially look after the people thay are sponsoring in the event of poor health. Im not sure if anyone on here has been through the process but a bond is required immediately to cover any short term health problems which i believe is refundable after 2 years (possibly i'm wrong about that one)

The main question really is would 2 retired parent be able to get healthcare at the age of 65 without too many hassles?

If anyone has any experience in this side of emigration i would love to hear you views, maybe by PM if thats easier

Thanks in advance

Andy

Hi,

Good Morning...(well in the uk anyway)

I have a question regarding sponsorship for parents.

We just obtained the paperwork and a family member who has citizenship already in Aus is required to give certain "assurances" to financially look after the people thay are sponsoring in the event of poor health. Im not sure if anyone on here has been through the process but a bond is required immediately to cover any short term health problems which i believe is refundable after 2 years (possibly i'm wrong about that one)

The main question really is would 2 retired parent be able to get healthcare at the age of 65 without too many hassles?

If anyone has any experience in this side of emigration i would love to hear you views, maybe by PM if thats easier

Thanks in advance

Andy

Hi

The Assurance Of Support (AOS) bond is refunded after 10 years if there have been no support claims.

A Parent visa gives immediate cover under the Australian Medicare health scheme.

Best wishes

Charlie

Hi

Andy

G'Day Andy

Others may be able to give you more detail about some points – I think you may be confusing "sponsorship" with "Assurance of Support".

But on health care per se, your parents would, once resident in Oz, be eligible for full Medicare benefits, subsidised medications, etc. (Though some provisions re the latter kick in only after 10 years, I believe.) When visiting as non-residents (or I guess – not sure of exact details – when temporary residents under 173 visas, if they go that route) they would also be eligible for (slightly restricted) Medicare under reciprocal arrangements if they are coming from a country where that applies – eg the UK.

If they/you want to go the private medical insurance route, they will get full cover at (I think) the age 30 premium rate (under the provisions of the so-called Lifetime Health Cover, or somesuch name) so long as they sign up within a shortish time of arrival in Oz (I think 2 or 3 years - check). If they leave it after that, age weighting starts to kick in, raising the premiums.

As I say, do check this with a health insurance firm such as HCF, MBF, etc. And do check with Medicare about that cover for them.

Good luck, Mike

Guest Andy1972

Sorry , Yes I think I meant "Assurance of Support"

I belive there are more factors other than health though in this form ie financial

Mega stressed ...still waiting for the police checks to come. Post arrived but not what Im looking for...Just cannot understand why mine should be now three weeks later than my DH ....I know this is all worth it in the end but right now...im gutted...another day and no further on .... I think I will post what docs we have today...and then police check when it comes or perhaps wait one more day...

Just wanting this nightmare to be over

Sorry , Yes I think I meant "Assurance of Support"

I belive there are more factors other than health though in this form ie financial

On the health insurance front. You have 1 year from when you register with Medicare after you have your permanent visa. We made the mistake of registering with Medicare when we came to validate our visa and then had just 5 months in which to decide whether to get private insurance. We did anyway, I just found the cheapest policy I could.

Cath

Mega stressed ...still waiting for the police checks to come. Post arrived but not what Im looking for...Just cannot understand why mine should be now three weeks later than my DH ....I know this is all worth it in the end but right now...im gutted...another day and no further on .... I think I will post what docs we have today...and then police check when it comes or perhaps wait one more day...

Just wanting this nightmare to be over

Received our police checks this morning in the 10 days they state,chatting to the postie who delivered same and he was saying you would not believe the amount of mail that goes missing I would chase if I were you.

cheers mike:wink:

On the health insurance front. You have 1 year from when you register with Medicare after you have your permanent visa. We made the mistake of registering with Medicare when we came to validate our visa and then had just 5 months in which to decide whether to get private insurance. We did anyway, I just found the cheapest policy I could.

Cath

Hi Cath

Are you able to give us any pointers on private health insurance? You can PM me if you wish.

Hi Cath

Are you able to give us any pointers on private health insurance? You can PM me if you wish.

Hi Linda, how's it going? We used iselect to find our insurer. What I chose is basically hospital cover with a couple of extras such as optical and dental, it also covers ambulance. My thoughts were that we would just go for the cheapest cover for now and see how we get on. Even though we have been here 7 months already I don't feel we know all the financial implications as yet and I'm nervous of over committing ourselves. We used Coles for our car and household insurance. We will be in touch with you soon to see if you would like to join the PIPS for lunch.

Cath

Hi Cath

There is a useful Australian Government website where you can compare the various providers and their offerings.

http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/

We also subscribed to Choice (The Australian version of Which) whilst we were looking for insurance, health funds etc.

We managed to get a full no claims bonus on our car insurance too!

Julie

Hi Cath

Thanks for that. That sounds sensible. Yes, it's difficult to get an idea of living costs, especially as we are currently staying with my daughter. Can't believe we have been here 2 weeks already. I had also forgotten how time consuming it is helping to look after a 2 month old baby. Need to go now as I am in charge and she is stirring. will be in touch soon re the meetup.

Thanks for the nice thought. Logged in tonight and saw e mail from a strange immi address. Heart quickens!. Open e mail. From medical officer in Sidney. Need more info on wifes condition!!!!:arghh:. Was in the throws of trying to get monies together to pay 2nd VAC by month end at High Commission London. Ah well. should know by now, best laid plans of mice and men.:goofy:

Hi - have just sent you a PM Sue & Mike

There is a useful Australian Government website where you can compare the various providers and their offerings.

We also subscribed to Choice (The Australian version of Which) whilst we were looking for insurance, health funds etc.

Julie

Hi what docs did you need for the discount (proof)etc.

cheers Mike.:wink:

Hi - have just sent you a PM Sue & Mike

Hi there, my sympathies are with you, we had to go to Maidenhead again, for my husband, wet macular degeneration, and re-approach the hospital for a list of

details referring to his treatment, and they said, the hospital, in the letter, it was good, and he would be referred back in 4/6 weeks to see how it was going. The MOC then left it 6 weeks and asked for the re-appraisal. Couldnt believe it as we were back at maidenhead on about 18th May, with another letter, and now we just WAIT. They sent letter 25th May2011 with update from maidenhead.

Have sent e mail today to health.operations.centre@immi.gov.au for status, This is Sydney, and they send on to Perth.

Would like to hear how you get on. Our original application was Oct 09.:confused:

Good Luck,

Helenarthur

Julie

thanks for the info Julie, very useful as I'm trawling through all the sites trying to find the best deal, they seem to vary greatly in cost

Katie

Hi what docs did you need for the discount (proof)etc.

cheers Mike.:wink:

I had taken my old policy c/w information about no claims, but they didn't ask to see it, they took my word for it.

We got our car insurance via the dealership where we bought the car. They also said that when we renew at the end of the year we can go back to them and get their dealership discount again. We are insured with Suncorp....but we checked out several via Choice.

Julie

I had taken my old policy c/w information about no claims, but they didn't ask to see it, they took my word for it.

We got our car insurance via the dealership where we bought the car. They also said that when we renew at the end of the year we can go back to them and get their dealership discount again. We are insured with Suncorp....but we checked out several via Choice.

Julie

Oh that's good to know re the no claims. We had been told that it doesn't count in Oz. Will need to investigate further.

My details arrived with the police for checking on the 17 th may....they tell me they posted it back on the 8 th of june....its still not arrived...its really doing my head in...im so stressed im ready to explode....my mum who is in sheltered housing and has my brother and his family within 2 mins drive away is breaking her heart...my sister who lives in Germany ...is saying she will be crying for weeks and her life will never be the same...we got told yesterday that our tenants are moving out...so do we re let ...or sell...I have spent the last 15 yrs caring for all our oldies...i want to be a grandma...nothing else...this whole process is so stressful...our flights are booked for 15 th august but my mum is telling me to go now...shes finding the build up too hard to deal with...im taking her to cornwall next week...then she wants me to leave...we have been back in th uk for to months...i have taken mum on two holidays already...the rest of my family...dont take her out...it is going to be hard for her..i cannot change the situation i find myself in...if i could just sneak off back to melbourne ...i would be off today ...

Hi

I chose a health plan with HCF that I started prior to the 12 month deadline from my visa validation date in order to avoid the age loading on the premium. The loading would have been 2% times my age over 30 (in my case that would have been 70%) . As I spend time in the UK and Oz I wanted a policy that you could suspend when you are away from Oz. So I only pay my HCF premiums when I am living in Australia.

Peewit