Guest guest36187

Well that the packers been and gone, it took just over 2 hours they were very fast and efficient, and nothing broken.

No furniture just personal things, god I have a lot more stuff than I thought !!!:rolleyes:

Wilma

When are you off?

Hi

I have HIFX accounts in the UK and Aus which means that I have an extended trading period.

Charlie

Hi Charlie

That would solve the problem of the online service not being operational during the Aussie day, but do you need to go through new ID checks, or do they just open the account for you in Oz?

Hi Charlie

That would solve the problem of the online service not being operational during the Aussie day, but do you need to go through new ID checks, or do they just open the account for you in Oz?

Hi

I had to provide some ID stuff but it was very straighforward - especially when I explained that I already had a UK account.

Charlie

We fly out on the 4th July,' Gold Coast here we come' !!:jiggy:

It has passed so fast.

Wilma

Good luck. Hope all goes well. Hope the weather is better over there for you. My daughter just told me it's pouring down in Perth!

We fly out on the 4th July,' Gold Coast here we come' !!:jiggy:

It has passed so fast.

Wilma

Good luck

the money disappeared from our bank account today so the Visa shouldn't be long now - just the wretched house to sell!

For those of you who were interested in our experience with John Mason they have just finished packing all of our stuff. Strange to see all your wordly goods disappearing up the road on the back of a lorry.

John Mason seem to contract out the packing and so the packers don't work directly for them. However, they were very efficient and thorough and very considerate. They packed everything up very thoroughly and quickly in just over a day, although we didn't have a complete house full. Just have to wait and see what happens at the other end.

Meeting my son for dinner this evening to say goodbye so that will be a bit emotional, and flying out to Perth tomorrow night. Still can't believe it's happening. Seems a bit unreal still.

Had our medicals last week, doctor requested information from our GP who is on holiday. the Locum won't sign anything off until I have more blood tests this week. Informed Perth that we may need more time...they have given us an extension of 14 days. Hopefully should have the medicals, police checks etc all ready by then.

For those of you who were interested in our experience with John Mason they have just finished packing all of our stuff. Strange to see all your wordly goods disappearing up the road on the back of a lorry.

John Mason seem to contract out the packing and so the packers don't work directly for them. However, they were very efficient and thorough and very considerate. They packed everything up very thoroughly and quickly in just over a day, although we didn't have a complete house full. Just have to wait and see what happens at the other end.

Meeting my son for dinner this evening to say goodbye so that will be a bit emotional, and flying out to Perth tomorrow night. Still can't believe it's happening. Seems a bit unreal still.

Good luck, safe journey.

Wilma x

Hadn't thought about it the way you describe above - will be really interested to see the outcome of your example. We have always transferred fairly largish sums so perhaps have not felt the impact of small transfers. interesting stuff. Thanks Steve

~Gill

A manic week but I've just got these online prices from HiFX (within 60 seconds of each other at 18:06 on 1 June)

£300 - 1.4755

£3000 - 1.4895

£10000 - 1.5131

If the £300 was in fact purchased at 1.5131 you would get another 11.28 dollars, so that represents the substitute for the "transaction charge" - about £7.50, similar to other organisations.

All the best

Steve

G'Day

Has anyone gone to the trouble of comparing rates and fees between HiFX, Moneycorp, and UK/OzForex?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have accounts with all 3 and have only used UK/OzForex as each time I have transferred they gave the best rate, I usually transfer at least $15,000 so do not know how they match on smaller amounts.

I have not done any transfers since the $1.62 spike in April. :no:

Sitting here in sunny Brisbane still swaying from our straight through flight on Saturday, awake at 3.00am this morning still not on one time zone or another. We catch the return flight this Saturday ready???? for work Monday but with our visas validated.:biggrin:

Used Sinapore airlines for our 80kgs allowance, heart stopping moment at check-in Heathrow when they said they do not allow 80kgs on return flights :shocked: but we asked them to check and a phone call later on it went.

:idea:Word of warning, 80kgs plus 2 walk-on flight bags take up a lot of space and are not too easy to move so plan carefully. It nearly broke Wanda's back. :wink:

Example of 'sod's law':

We booked this trip as the housing market was slow and we did not want to be under pressure to sell house for a low offer. Friday night just before we left for London we had a buyer come round our house, did the quickest viewing so far, our thought 'that was a waste of time', signed online at Singapore airport to email family and found email from estate agent saying they were offering almost the full asking price. :arghh:

Nice catching up on thread with so many moving on.

P.S. keep saving all your pennies, it's b*$*$y expencive out here. :wubclub:

Glad everything went well with your packing. I know how you feel seeing the container disappear, I took loads of photos and then forgot to get the camera out when the container appeared here. It will be a poignant evening for you saying goodbye to your son. Hopefully we will be able to catch up very soon. Bon voyage.

Best wishes

Cath

Example of 'sod's law':

We booked this trip as the housing market was slow and we did not want to be under pressure to sell house for a low offer. Friday night just before we left for London we had a buyer come round our house, did the quickest viewing so far, our thought 'that was a waste of time', signed online at Singapore airport to email family and found email from estate agent saying they were offering almost the full asking price. :arghh:

One of good old Sod's more friendly laws, that, Les

P.S. keep saving all your pennies, it's b*$*$y expencive out here

You can say that again.

That. Beat you to it.

I'm pleased to hear about the house. Trouble is that now you now have no excuse to avoid thinking about living in Oz at the very interesting rate of 1.50 to the pound. At least you've validated and got a few kg of possessions out there, a sort of flag in the earth.

Best wishes

Steve

Bon voyage guys. It's a strange feeling, but hope it feels good at the other end. At least the jetlag isn't of the Melbourne variety!

Best wishes

Steve

Nice catching up on thread with so many moving on.

Hi Les

Many thanks for the currency-exchange info.

Welcome (I think I mean it) back! You remind me why we always try to break the journey half-way.

Yes, lots of movement now – but I won't tempt fate by expressing hopes of following soon!! Suffice to say that meds are booked for 22 June.

Good luck with the house sale, and bon voyage to others on their way.

Mike

:idea: If any Poms are still in the UK make yourself sick to death of BANANAS

$12.99 a kilo:swoon: in Oz!!!!!!!!

:idea: Any Poms on the way out remember it is 2.25 litres of duty free you can bring into Oz (each person) as spirits cost an average of $45 a litre :shocked::shocked:

P.S. The sun is free. :laugh:

:idea: If any Poms are still in the UK make yourself sick to death of BANANAS

$12.99 a kilo:swoon: in Oz!!!!!!!!

:idea: Any Poms on the way out remember it is 2.25 litres of duty free you can bring into Oz (each person) as spirits cost an average of $45 a litre :shocked::shocked:

P.S. The sun is free. :laugh:

Hah. After the shock of the banana crisis in Oz, I sent my daughter a photo of the price tag at Tesco here when we got back. Wonder if I can attach it.....:unsure:

CheapBananas.pdf

CheapBananas.pdf

To sum up what others have posted really:

If you want control of the transfer, so that you can choose the best forex provider (see other posts), it makes sense to accumulate the funds in sterling in a UK account until you have a critical mass (£3,000), then make the transfer at a time and rate to suit you.

It's been mentioned that pension providers will pay directly into an Australian bank account. However the problem I can see with this is that the receiving bank will then do the conversion and that is likely to be highly uncompetitive (the bank will determine the rate) and expensive (there will be a charge for each transfer).

Good luck

Cheers

Steve

To add to above, the UK state pension and local government pension will convert to $ at almost par and then appear in your Oz bank account.

Par means a rate of exchange we cannot hope to get for any Forex transfer we make, we can only beat the average rate if we get lucky and let it build up and then pick a 'good day'.

The thing to consider is, do you want the best rate once month or do you feel 'lucky'?

:idea:If you have a bank that will charge to receive your pension that way I would open an account with a Oz bank that will not charge and then transfer the $s to your favorite bank.

Our son's Commonwealth Bank has never charged for any transfer we have made to him, I don't know about other banks. :wubclub:

Don't forget to budget for buying an electric blanket once you arrive. It is can be pretty cold at night.

JUlie

We have 2 Slankets we got off Amazon for the evenings. :wink:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slanket-SKLI-Limoges/dp/B00284GMW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1307001735&sr=8-1

Toasty :cool:

Not needed yet but maybe when we get old and gray.

Should that read just read grayer? :biglaugh:

Don't forget to budget for buying an electric blanket once you arrive. It is can be pretty cold at night.

JUlie

Never used one even when it was -5 before Christmas - occasionally resort to a hot water bottle if my feet are freezing. Don't think my 'thermostat' works as I rarely feel the cold or am bothered by the heat! (and we are old and grey)

We lived out in melbourne from last sept to april his year..we set up a bank account with nab we got our raf pension paid into uk bank .transfered £1000 monthly into moneycorp and phoned them when we wanted to exchange the money...we had no charges during the whole 7 months with nab ...i tried ....to manage on about. $150 for food shoppjng for the two of us...i looked at the weekly offers ...we ate well...any eating out was not out of his...my dh likes his food...he had bacon butties most mornings...snack type lunch and cooked meal at night... Usually cheese and biscuits or peanuts etc watching tv . I did keep a close eye on the weekly offers and bought in bulk ..we always had tim tams...fruit...everything we wanted...but instead of going shoppjng for a certain thing i was ready to change my plan if i found something on offer ..so i might go intending to buy pork..but come back with chicken..i didnt just shop in one shop..i didnt shop daily... None of this was a struggle...i had time to shop around..unlike my daughter who spent a small fortune on shopping...i also found alternatives...sams warehouse stocks a fake pringle....very very close to the real thing...crisp and fresh have amazing des and far cheaper than coles and safeways...i signed up for the weekly emails from all stores ...then did a list accordingly...you usually find coles and safeway are pretty close together...we did eat out ...look up http://www.spreets.com.au daily deals ...we had cheap meal deals at lots of different restraunts in melbourne..spreets operate in all areas...there are other deal web sites too...they also do deals for hairdressing...my daughtr and i both went for a full sort of make over...costing about £20 each...we had hair cuts..massage. And makeup...its ll out there you just need to spend a bit of time looking and then your off...i alredy have two hairdressing vouchers paid for ready fr my return in august...ohhh we also had charter fishing trips too at about a 1/4 of the real price and they had a great day out...hope all this helps...yes prices have risen but you can live well...we have ...