Guest guest36187

CONGRATULATIONS

(sorry I'm a bit late but no computer till Friday so I've sneeked on at work)

Our meds went off to Sydney finally on Monday afternoon so we're another step closer

House goes on the market next week.

Hope it all goes smoothly and quickly for you - good luck! Can't wait to see you on "the other list" with a red star! Gill

Hi folks

I have just had to send off to get details of old passports and thought this info I saved from SIRMATT101 may be usefull to others:-

For anyone else who might have the same problem the information required is:

• Evidence of your identity, such as a copy of your passport, driving licence or an original of a recent utility bill. (Any original documents will be copied and sent back to you, but photocopies you send to us will only be returned upon your written request)
  • A cheque or postal order for £10 (made payable to the Identity and Passport Service), this being the fee charged by the Data Protection Act 1998 for the Subject Access Request.
  • Any information that you can supply which might help us to locate the information about yourself, which you are seeking. This should include your full name, place and date of birth and details of any name changes and the dates they occurred.
  • A signed request for the information you are seeking.

The address is:

Disclosure of Information

Peterborough Searching Team

Identity and Passport Service

Aragon Court

Northminster Road

Peterborough

PE1 1QG

Tel 01733 888242

Fax 01733 896956

Web www.ips.gov.uk

This is for all the country and the normal processing time is within 40 working days. They are very helpful and if you give them an idea of when you need the information by they will proritise where possible. I was informed that they were processing in about 12 working days at the moment

Hi folks

I have just had to send off to get details of old passports and thought this info I saved from SIRMATT101 may be usefull to others:-

For anyone else who might have the same problem the information required is:

• Evidence of your identity, such as a copy of your passport, driving licence or an original of a recent utility bill. (Any original documents will be copied and sent back to you, but photocopies you send to us will only be returned upon your written request)

• A cheque or postal order for £10 (made payable to the Identity and Passport Service), this being the fee charged by the Data Protection Act 1998 for the Subject Access Request.

• Any information that you can supply which might help us to locate the information about yourself, which you are seeking. This should include your full name, place and date of birth and details of any name changes and the dates they occurred.

• A signed request for the information you are seeking.

The address is:

Disclosure of Information

Peterborough Searching Team

Identity and Passport Service

Aragon Court

Northminster Road

Peterborough

PE1 1QG

Tel 01733 888242

Fax 01733 896956

Web www.ips.gov.uk

This is for all the country and the normal processing time is within 40 working days. They are very helpful and if you give them an idea of when you need the information by they will proritise where possible. I was informed that they were processing in about 12 working days at the moment

Hi P & M

Just done exactly the same thing for Sue – I wonder who'll win the race!!

Mike

Hi,

I havn't been on for a while. My son and his family have just left for Melbourne on a PR visa. All our family there now. So we are feeling lost. Want to get out of this country asap.

I have been told by a migration agent that we can lodge our PS visa in 6 mts. That is not what I am reading on this thread.

Can anyone enlighten me. Also once you lodge can you work limited hours on a long term tourist visa.

Good luck to all who are on the way to OZ.

MKF

Hi,

I havn't been on for a while. My son and his family have just left for Melbourne on a PR visa. All our family there now. So we are feeling lost. Want to get out of this country asap.

I have been told by a migration agent that we can lodge our PS visa in 6 mts. That is not what I am reading on this thread.

Can anyone enlighten me. Also once you lodge can you work limited hours on a long term tourist visa.

MKF

Hi MKF

I think most people here can empathise with you, it made us feel quite lost when all our grandchildren were whisked away down under. The annual visit is just not enough!

You said that all your family are here now, does that mean you have other children besides your son who just left? If so, how long have they been here? You will have read other threads that say you have to wait until the sponsoring child is 'settled' which is usually deemed to be 2 years. Others have done it in less time than that but you have to give evidence of the family being well settled. If you have other children here it would make sense for them to be your sponsor. Our situation was that our eldest daughter had been here for about 4 years, our middle daughter was here on a student visa so she didn't count in the balance of family test. We had to wait for our youngest daughter to emigrate (that then tipped the balance of family test in our favour) before we could apply using our eldest as our sponsor.

Incidentally, it is very straightforward to apply for the visa yourself without the aid of an agent. You just have to be very methodical and double check everything and if you get stuck just ask away on here. Even if you use an agent you will find that you have to do most of the hard work yourself anyway. I'm not against migration agents, far from it, but when it's straightforward save yourself a bit of dosh.

Good luck

Cath

Hi,

MKF

See the post from Cath which nicely sums up the issue of "settled" which your sponsor needs to be when the application is lodged. If this has to be your son (who has just gone to Oz) he'll need to show he is settled. Personally I think that might be a challenge in only 6 months, but not impossible.

You can't work if you are in Australia on a tourist visa. You can if you're on (say) a student visa.

A migration agent is useful if your circumstances are likely to be non-standard or you find the whole prospect daunting. Otherwise it's just a tedious form filling process, most of which you'll probably end up having to do anyway. Do choose an agent carefully as there are many stories of agents simply shutting up shop overnight. The good ones stick around through challenging times.

Best of luck

Cheers

Steve

Re the "settled" question and applying before the sponsor has resided in Australia for 2 years: I would exercise care, as the Parents Visa Centre appears to have been taking a harder line on this issue of late, even though cases at the Migration Review Tribunal undermine the adoption of a tougher stance.

Those who wish to apply within that 2 year timeline should be prepared to fight DIAC through the MRT if needs be - which seems to be a travesty, but DIAC seems more concerned with a rigid policy than looking at each case on its merits.

Best regards.

We applied after our son & d-i-l were resident for 16 months, we enclosed evidence of property (they had just bought a house), past rental agreement, invoice for new car plus 2nd hand one, furniture invoices, new puppy dog, letters from their Australian friends, wedding invites etc, etc.

We did not use an agent for our application, but did receive help from Alan Collett and Gollywobbler before applying for which we will always be grateful and help from many others along the way.

Applying after 6 months seems like pushing the envelope and even with the shorter waiting time for a CO it could lead to disappointment and wasted time if you get turned down.

Perhaps it would be worth adding a column to the time line for those who have visas to list how long their son or daughter were settled before they applied, just to see if there is a trend to lowering the time that still gets approved.

I would ask the question, would you feel that your son or daughter are settled in a new country after 6 months before you spend up to the best part of £100,000 to follow them out there?

Guest Janey1954

Hello

I'm very new on this forum - I had been over on the other site [bE] and read all the posts on the CPV thread (I called it doing my homework) and noticed towards the end that it was fizzling out!! Then I came on here and started reading all the posts in this thread to find that alot of peeps had done the same!!! Anyway, I have just finished reading them all which took 2 weeks on and off - and decided to post my story.

I felt quite able to fill in the form without the use of an agent as most of the information was all here (or there) and I only had to ask a couple of questions which were quickly answered. I suppose we're quite straightforward as both our bairns are down under - son was born in Tasmania 1977 so he's lucky to have dual nationality, and our daughter went out with her hubby and my two fantastic grandsons nearly four years ago (and are loving it). Plus I've got a sister and 2 brothers over there.... so it was a no brainer what I wanted to do..... hubby is a little more concerned as his mum and 3 brothers are here. And he cant bear the thought of parting with all that dosh, but as I say 'the bairns are getting their inheritance by us being there!!!!!'

I got photocopies of docs certified by solicitor (£20 plus VAT for the lot) and sent of the form DHL (as per advice - cost £26) on 29 April and it was signed for on 2 May (must have been a holiday Monday). I put us on the tracker (great idea) and today I have just updated it as we got a letter through the post acknowledging it!! Yipee! It says it was received on 4 May though and they took the money on 11 May and the date of letter is 13 May!! Currently processing lodgements on 20 May 2010.

So there we go...

Mind you - every time I come on here, I cant get the tune out of my head..

Altogether now - P P P P P.I.O. P.I.O. P.I.O......:biglaugh:

Janey

Guest chicklet

I often read replies on pio but dont often ask questions.I have however one I would like to ask and that is how does the income tax work in Oz.I am a retired widow and it has been 7months since my cpv143 was acknowledged. I pay tax in the uk on my pensions after being given the usual yearly allowance.Perhaps there is someone who could give me some feedback re tax on pensions in Oz.

I am totally confused. I rang my bank today to ask about transfering money and they said it would cost £25 and todays rate was 1.527. I have read not to use banks but other companies. I looked at one tonight and their rate was only 1.49 so what are the pros and cons. I appreciate that this is an old story but would appreciate some help.

Hello

I'm very new on this forum -*****

So there we go...

Mind you - every time I come on here, I cant get the tune out of my head..

Altogether now - P P P P P.I.O. P.I.O. P.I.O......:biglaugh:

Janey

Steady Janey

The sanity usually goes towards the end of the process :chatterbox: or is this just good old fashioned exitement :jiggy:

Wecome aboard and hope you have a low stress passage.

regards

I often read replies on pio but dont often ask questions.I have however one I would like to ask and that is how does the income tax work in Oz.I am a retired widow and it has been 7months since my cpv143 was acknowledged. I pay tax in the uk on my pensions after being given the usual yearly allowance.Perhaps there is someone who could give me some feedback re tax on pensions in Oz.

I understand that when you become a permanent resident in Australia, you will still have to pay tax, but in Australia.

Hi MKF

I think most people here can empathise with you, it made us feel quite lost when all our grandchildren were whisked away down under. The annual visit is just not enough!

You said that all your family are here now, does that mean you have other children besides your son who just left? If so, how long have they been here? You will have read other threads that say you have to wait until the sponsoring child is 'settled' which is usually deemed to be 2 years. Others have done it in less time than that but you have to give evidence of the family being well settled. If you have other children here it would make sense for them to be your sponsor. Our situation was that our eldest daughter had been here for about 4 years, our middle daughter was here on a student visa so she didn't count in the balance of family test. We had to wait for our youngest daughter to emigrate (that then tipped the balance of family test in our favour) before we could apply using our eldest as our sponsor.

Incidentally, it is very straightforward to apply for the visa yourself without the aid of an agent. You just have to be very methodical and double check everything and if you get stuck just ask away on here. Even if you use an agent you will find that you have to do most of the hard work yourself anyway. I'm not against migration agents, far from it, but when it's straightforward save yourself a bit of dosh.

Good luck

Cath

Hi Cath,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. To clarify; my other son has been in Oz for over 2 years. Initially on a holiday visa, he is now just about to get a Regional self sponsored visa so he cannot act as sponsor. It is my other son who has just arrived that has the PR visa.

We hadn't given any thought to applying without the help of a migration agent. I would be terrified of making a blunder-it is just so important to get it right. Hopefully we won't have to wait 2 years before they will accept our lodgement. I wonder about the fact that I am a nurse with Oz registration, would that be taken into account?

I need to do a bit of homework before launching into this.

Wish us luck!!!!

Regards

MKF

I am totally confused. I rang my bank today to ask about transfering money and they said it would cost £25 and todays rate was 1.527. I have read not to use banks but other companies. I looked at one tonight and their rate was only 1.49 so what are the pros and cons. I appreciate that this is an old story but would appreciate some help.

Hi

Your bank is wanting to charge for an inter bank transfer using CHAPS hence the cost. This is totally unrequired. If you look around this site you will find adverts for Ozforex/UKforex (same company) and Hifx. A lot, including me, use Ozforex. You will need an Australian bank account (contact who you fancy) mine is NAB and they will open an account for you. Be aware that you will not be able to draw on it until you have verified it in Oz but then it operates like any other internet bank account. Sign up for a trading account with the broker (Ozforex or ???). When you want to change money sign in to your account, select the amount you want to change, confirm the deal, ( Ozforex ring you ) , and pay the money via BACS (which costs nothing) to the brokers bank and when the funds clear, the money will be automatically be paid into your Aus bank account. As the meercat says "Simple".

PS Yes I do believe in promoting companies that have given me excellent service.:biggrin:

Errmmm NOT the one highjacking this post

Try some of the more well known ones, such as HiFX, UKForex, or Moneycorp. The rate at the moment on HiFx is 1.51.

Guest Janey1954
Steady Janey

The sanity usually goes towards the end of the process :chatterbox: or is this just good old fashioned exitement :jiggy:

Wecome aboard and hope you have a low stress passage.

regards

Thanks P&M

I reckon that my sanity started going out the window a long time ago along with the little grey cells!!! Probably about the time the bairns left home!!!

Incidentally - should Sir Matt not be Sir VEGE-Matt!! (loved all that banter)

Janey

The bank is telling you what the exchange mid rate is, not what they will exchange at, with most banks they only let you know the true rate after the exchange which can be a bit of a shock.

If the mid rate is $1.527 (or any other figure) expect to trade at about 2 cents less unless you are changing a very large sum of money. Banks will normally add another cent or two below that and still often add a charge.

Guest nannadi

:arghh: Thanks for the info about bank charges. I have been paying 25pounds for the last 10years to transfer money from my Barclays bank account to my Commonwealth bank account here!!

I have also lost out on another large ammount of money as I have found out that I am eligable for a low income healthcare card and have been for 8 years, two years from the date of arrival in Oz. As I have been paying $198 dollars a month for my medication for the past 10 years-I do need rather a lot of medication-whereas with a card I would only have had to pay around $20 a month. This means that I have done myself out of $19000, THAT'S RIGHT NINETEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS !!!.

In order to qualify for this card you must have weekly income of less than $450 dollars and to have been a resident in Oz for two years. I did telephone to enquire about this card about six years ago and when asked if I was a resident of Oz, I said no as I thought they were talking about permanent residency!

Cest la vie as they say, I am now,at last a permanent resident after a ten year wait on a 804, non contributary parent visa,hooray!! I did think though that this information might be useful for some of you. I certainly wish I had known about it eight years ago.

Currently processing lodgements on 20 May 2010.

Janey

Welcome, Janey! All the moaning about banter on the Other Side drove many of us out, though I have to confess that I still keep an eye on it.

Only correction: processing has now moved on another month. Our acknowledgement date was 22 June 2010, and we got our CO a couple of weeks back – I suspect they are trying to push through all the FY 2010 (ending 30 June) applications through.

So unless they slow down again don't expect to have to wait too long!

Good luck, Mike

:arghh: Thanks for the info about bank charges. I have been paying 25pounds for the last 10years to transfer money from my Barclays bank account to my Commonwealth bank account here!!

I use UKForex to transfer to my son's Commonwealth account and have never paid a fee to send or has he paid a fee to receive the money, (Min £3000).

On the other hand as a Barclays share holder I admire their cheek. :twitcy:

I would view a rate of 1.527 to buy dollars with sterling today from a high street bank with deep suspicion. I suspect you were given wrong information. At the moment (9:33 BST on 20 May) you're looking at 1.50 or thereabouts for £10k from a good currency trader; from a high street bank I would expect 1.48.

(ps recently saw 1.43 at a Forex booth!)

Hi Steve,

Could you please award the rare Red Star please, we received notification today from our Case Officer that our CPV 143 visa was granted today.

It has certainly been an interesting journey, all went well until the medicals where we hit a bit of a hurdle. My wife failed due to faint traces of blood in here urine sample, we were told to see our GP who in turn sent my wife to a consultant and for ultra scans of her kidneys.

This of course took time, so finally after two 28 day extensions from our very helpful case officer we received the all clear letter from the consultant though the letter went walk about in the Royal Mail somewhere, we finally got there with one day to spare on the second extension.

On receipt of the medicals in Sydney everything moved ahead very quickly with the request for the 2nd Vac on the 13th of May, we paid via London via a Visa Debit card on the 16th May. A tip send a copy of the 2nd VAC payment request with your mandate as it speeds up the process, I forgot to send ours though Eric at the London Australia house was exceptionally helpful.

I chose to pay via the Visa Debit card as it was far simpler than using a Credit card, the Credit card people were making waves when I asked to extend the credit limit on the card to £46,000.00, I fell out with them, I have always believed that as far as the bank is concerned I am the customer and I tell them what I want rather than them telling me, we do occasionally have words!! I do then tell them that Barclays is always next door!!

If you elect to pay via London you need to get a different payment mandate to the Perth one from as the London one is for £ and the Perth one is in AU$ the amount for the conversion is available on http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/converter.htm the link on your Tracker page is perfect.

I would thank everyone on PIO for the assistance and encouragement that has made the journey a lot easier and with a bit of light hearted fun on the way, good luck to all those still waiting, it does pass ( In Hindsight always easy) very quickly.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

KandM

I would view a rate of 1.527 to buy dollars with sterling today from a high street bank with deep suspicion. I suspect you were given wrong information. At the moment (9:33 BST on 20 May) you're looking at 1.50 or thereabouts for £10k from a good currency trader; from a high street bank I would expect 1.48.

(ps recently saw 1.43 at a Forex booth!)

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Have just registered with ForEx. He asked where I heard about them and I told them "the very nice people at Poms In Oz" had recommended them.

Thanks to all replies.

:biggrin:

Welcome, Janey! All the moaning about banter on the Other Side drove many of us out, though I have to confess that I still keep an eye on it.

Only correction: processing has now moved on another month. Our acknowledgement date was 22 June 2010, and we got our CO a couple of weeks back – I suspect they are trying to push through all the FY 2010 (ending 30 June) applications through.

So unless they slow down again don't expect to have to wait too long!

Good luck, Mike

Have just today got back from holiday to find an e-mail telling us we have a case officer and asking for medicals etc,etc, within 28days from the 5th of May,this was just 7 months after our acknowledged application so has come totally out of the blue we will have to ask for an extention of time (are these usually granted) because with so few panel doctors we are probably going to have to wait for an appointment.7months I still cant believe it.

Cheers.

Mike.